RedCloud Technology Reviews

Updated 22 Oct 2019

3.6
RedCloud Technology CEO  Justin Floyd  (no image)
Justin Floyd

"A great company to work for"

Former Employee - Finance in London, England

I worked at RedCloud Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for professional growth Leadership - The CEO is just an inspirational figure. He is top notch when it comes to developing and coaching people at all levels. He listen and empower his team. The ethics involved in their product- "sharing economy" is a big plus as it is always good to work for ethical companies. Great team working atmosphere and I enjoyed working for the company for all the time I was there.

Cons

As it is a young company I would say, what is pretty normal, that the culture is still been built and it can be in the future great, HR just need a bit of work around it , what will certainly become their long term vision.

"Technology Company... core platform old..."

2.0

I worked at RedCloud Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has IP from the original mPesa launch in Kenya, the technology was originally designed some 12-14 years ago and helped launch mPesa. The CPO has strong ideas about the need for financial services in certain markets. Some of the developers were good. At certain points the business opportunity looked exciting. The company had global aspirations.

Cons

Main cons for the company was 1. RedCloud could not sell and potential deals would get screwed up. 2. The CTO was difficult. 3. The CEO was out of touch with his company. 4. The core technology was old and basically only one person in the company actually understood it in depth. 5. They may have missed their window. 6. Every payday staff were anxious as to whether they would get paid.

Continue reading

"No silver lining to this RedCloud"

Former Employee - Dev

I worked at RedCloud Technology full-time

Pros

A competent and helpful dev team

Cons

I invested time in this company that was simply not worth it. Nothing ever gets built. The platform is old and out of date. The management have no intention or ability to support anyone’s career there. Salaries were not paid on time on more than one occasion. There is no company strategy that is even slightly realistic. All the work designed, planned, and usually built, is regularly binned at the last moment. The attrition of staff is evidence of the company’s issues. In my time over 15 people left over a few months which speaks volumes itself. The good reviews likely came from within the organisation as I was made aware a number of ‘managers’ were asked to write them to drown out the bad reviews so pay no attention. If you are considering applying for a job here, I would strongly suggest you close your application and look elsewhere. This company needs to be re-born to have a fighting chance of succeeding.

"a great employer"

I worked at RedCloud Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For an employee, there are lots of exposure and strong sense of impact. I feel I have been valued highly by the company and I have enjoyed team work and given strong support by the top management team to further develop and contribute. It is great to join an ever growing company with a mission to make a real impact in the developing world - to transform the merchant payment in places that have high cost of cash.

Cons

There are some travels involved, depending on the role.

"Supportive Environment and Fantastic People"

I have been working at RedCloud Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

I always got the opportunity to take more initiatives and contribute to my team People are open to new and different ideas Collegial and diverse environment with challenging work Talented people who are also easy to work with Global company with a strong prospect of continuing growth

Cons

normal pain of a growing startup - growth means change as well

6. "Unique Product and a Will to Make it Happen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at RedCloud Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with the latest from AWS and we are able to try out the latest technologies such as the Google Cloud Vision API. There is a career path and an interest in our development. Agile methodologies

Cons

The legacy technology can be frustrated

"Good company on the right track"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at RedCloud Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Constant improvement Positive thinking Career progression People

Cons

Having to deal with legacy systems

March 31, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks for the review, we're glad that you are seeing constant progression and improvements.

"A Poorly Run, Shambles of a Business"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at RedCloud Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at RedCloud was always a laugh. It really takes the greatest absurdities and stereotypes of start-ups and kicks them into overdrive. Sometimes, these were the "better to laugh than cry" sort of laughter. It's an environment where there are a lot of problems to solve. If you take initiative you can really make a difference and learn a lot. Despite all the problems, there were a number of people that genuinely wanted to improve things. I saw, and I hope contributed to, a lot of improvements before I left. I would consider recommending it to junior developers, as that sort of "straight in the deep end" experience can be valuable.

Cons

There's a lot of office politics that create a very hostile culture. Everyone is talking privately behind one another's backs trying to figure out who's aligned with who and how to navigate this strange environment, because of a few key figures prone to aggressive behaviour and outbursts and because of the poor leadership- almost everyone is lacking direction, especially in the first several months. The product is in an awful state. The codebase is over a decade old and was dreamt up by someone that seemingly invented their own bizarre programming principals, ignoring all industry standards and common sense. It wasn't written by RedCloud, either; it was acquired from another company that crashed, presumably because their product was a failure. It really is exceptionally broken, far beyond your typical legacy platform. I tried on several occasions to make this apparent to management but they showed little interest. There is no risk aversion in the culture of RedCloud Technologies. In a way, there is the opposite; on one occasion we discovered a critical security flaw prior to a major release, only to be told by C-level management that this flaw was already known of and they weren't bothered about it. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if the company ends up in serious legal trouble because of the insecurities inherent in the product. C-level management shows very little interest in product development. There are expansive senior teams across marketing and sales, but the product development department goes it alone with very little leadership. The CTO in particular rarely showed an interest in product development, frequently made it apparent that they had no idea what we were doing day-to-day, and only caused problems on the occasions where they decided to get involved. This lack of leadership and management makes it very easy for silos to form. I know of several instances where people have just ignored integrating with other teams and wasted their time developing software that has zero business value and actually get rewarded for this. In short, it's a goldmine for crooks; just lie to management and watch YouTube all day, and get paid triple figures to do it. I've encountered serious misogyny within the organisation. On one occasion a colleague went on an unprompted rant about how he believed women didn't belong in the workplace and only acquired promotions through "political correctness", that they should "stay in the kitchen" etc; I brought this matter to C-level management but they faced no consequence, and were showered in rewards instead. At RedCloud I've witnessed things I thought I would never see in a business; C-level management abusively shouting at and berating a junior developer during a well-attended conference call, projects that invest huge amounts of resources for over a year and deliver nothing of value, employees not even being granted common decencies such as paid leave for jury duty. Worse yet regarding the poor treatment of employees was the implicit hierarchy. I was one of the better treated because I was regarded as being valuable, but the more junior employees and those with less initiative were the ones being treated badly, and sometimes exploitatively (as described in the "Wasted Opportunity" review). Perhaps the saddest thing about RedCloud is that there are some genuinely great people there, and some of them have ernest faith in it. Most of the business doesn't realise how dire the situation in product development actually is. While many of us were quietly aware that the product was a joke there are a number of people with low technical literacy, but often talented in other areas, who ernestly believe in the product. The senior technical management continues to lie to the rest of the business by greatly exaggerating the adequacy of the product. I believe they are afraid of the inevitable consequences of telling the truth, which only get worse the longer they're delayed.

March 8, 2019Chief People Officer

"Where do we start?"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in London, England

I worked at RedCloud Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked with some good talented people who are no longer there for obvious reasons

Cons

I was not going to write a review but after seeing the blatant replies to ex colleagues I decided to write my review Few self important characters causing high turn over of staff by their pitty and feudal attitude If the 'COP' (thought it stands for chronically oppressed politics 😂), claims to be "creating an amazing team delivering, groundbreaking technology." why the high turn over of staff and not on good terms from talking with a good number of them? I am with you that the team 'were' amazing when I was , I worked with few good people the tech as well was ok, but you are losing those guys faster than you hiring them due to the poor treatment and other reasons mentioned in past reviews.

March 31, 2019Chief People Officer

"Vile management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at RedCloud Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

I met some great people who also left this vile company

Cons

One of the most hateful work environments I ever been in I would not wish for anyone I care about to work in this vile unhealthy place, dishonest and incompetent gangs of what they call management

March 29, 2019Chief People Officer