Royal Navy Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Sir Jonathon Band

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good travel, good training, well looked after get paid to see the world (in 12 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits and travel (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "Search a great honour to have a experience in R.N"

Former Employee - Royal Naval Officer in London, England
    Former Employee - Royal Naval Officer in London, England

I worked at Royal Navy part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was the good interest that we do our best in this Royal Navy and also we were very likely to have this time soon and no words but it was the great thing that we remain in our minds, it is just the professional job....

Cons

It's not so to express about this part, we have to be in it, in the sense like something may gonna happen but courageously we should capture that task which we gonna work towards..

2. "Engineer Officer"

I have been working at Royal Navy full-time

Pros

World beating organisation that offers early exposure to leadership and management roles as well as an excellent career in engineering.

Cons

Change fatigue impacting morale. Enforced efficiency savings due to chronic under funding.

Advice to Management

Learn how businesses work; Take more risks but better understand how to mitigate impacts

3. "Royal Navy Weapons Engineering Technician Review"

Current Employee - Weapons Engineering Technician in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at Royal Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Variety of work, no 2 days are the same, excellent level of training given

Cons

Inability to plan personal life with confidence due to likelihood of programme changes

Advice to Management

Make use of the experience you have rather than having short sighted views

5. "Excellent Career"

I have been working at Royal Navy full-time

Pros

Learn huge amounts, gain trade skills, meet great people, see great places.

Cons

Extended periods away from home

6. "Enjoyable experience but the good times seem to come few and far between."

Current Employee - Weapons Engineer in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Weapons Engineer in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at Royal Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Develop professionally and personally.
    -Qualifications and experiences are vast.
    -Meet similar people with similar interests to yourself. Many become life-long friends.
    - Time for adventurous training during work time.

The good times are very good, but are out-weighed massively by the bad.
    Been to many countries and have fun at all the stops.
    Have you're own crew, and make friends for life.
    Learn (on paper) about high-tech equipment.
    Would recommend joining, but only for minimum time. Once you've experienced it, leave.

Cons

-Job is mis-sold.
    -Lack of respect from the majority of seniors (the minority of seniors are the best people you'll ever meet, but very, very few).
    -Power goes to peoples head more than what it would in a civilian job.
    -Unless you're on fast-track, you're put to the back of the line in all sense.
    -Promotion is a popularity contest.
    -Females get away with everything, literally double standards!

Examples:
    You're always told 'It will be better in phase 2' 'It will be better on ship' 'It will be better when you do this and that' truth is, people hang on to that thread of hope that their time in the RN will improve, but it doesn't. Many people are too afraid to leave so leave it too late and end up staying in for life and hating their-selves. They convince their self they're doing the right thing but once they leave the RN they have nothing but money.

Of course cleaning is a big importance but its over the top, people just don't pull their weight and then hide behind their rank. Killicks will trash the mess drinking, only allowing other killicks to drink and expect ABs to clear it up else MMA. everything is threatened with an MMA or stoppage of leave, think because most killicks are fats-track and have no people skills. While you're cleaning, killicks will be sat playing the Playstation, expecting it to have been cleaned by yesterday.
    The same killicks expect to tag along with you when you go out and want to be your best friend then, but would throw you under a bus to get their own way. One fast-track killick (who's been in 5 minutes) asked me for advice (after trying to make me look small in front of everyone) because I had more experience. Give me the rate instead. He had the rate because the senior rates liked him more.

If females are not complaining about something, they're getting as away with something the rest of us would be fined for. Lads end up doing their job too because girls can't either lift it or they have gone 'missing'. If they cant do the job then why are they here?

All that training just to take four bolts out, replace a pump, then put the same four bolts back in again. I could have left school and done that, save all the training nonsense.
    Something broken? turn it off and on again. If that does't work, tell the Chief who will call contractors out. If I start a new job and am tasked with fixing something, I'd just pull out a cloth and wipe it down because that's really all I do on ship.

If you're an AB, you're a liar and treated like a child.

Fun is banned (unless you're a girl).

Gone off track I think, I'll come back to this.

Advice to Management

Stop relying on threats and learn some people skills.
    We actually want to learn about kit, not just play fetch for your tools.
    Task book isn't everything. Most people learn by doing, not repeating answers in parrot fashion.

7. "Royal Navy"

I worked at Royal Navy full-time

Pros

Great experiences, boundless opportunities: education, fitness - all up to you!

Cons

Rules can often constrain your ability to promote.

8. "Royal Navy"

Current Employee - Engineer in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bristol, England

I have been working at Royal Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, despite the challenges everyone is on the same side.

Cons

Ever decreasing Armed Forces budget and retention of manpower.

Advice to Management

Let people get on with their job and stop introducing unnecessary barriers/policy!

9. "Ex leading air engineering technician"

I worked at Royal Navy full-time

Pros

Stability, diversity, garenteed pay and pension free medical and dental care

Cons

9 month deployments, lack of scope, new pay and pension model

10. "An excellent job"

I have been working at Royal Navy full-time

Pros

An opportunity for varied, sometimes exciting work all over the globe. The teams you work with are world class.

Cons

It is very much a lifestyle which doesn't always offer much flexibility in career management.

11. "Good while young difficult to plan life when older"

Current Employee - Logistics Officer in Helensburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Logistics Officer in Helensburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal Navy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and travel. The pension is good. Good qualifications which are transferable to civilian sectors and lots of courses offered

Cons

No control over where you are posted! Lots of commuting if you choose not to be mobile with your family. Good while you are young but gets very distracting being sent somewhere without any choice