Skyscanner Reviews

Updated 29 Jun 2020

3.3
Skyscanner Chief Executive Officer  Moshe Rafiah (no image)
Moshe Rafiah
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is also a strong selling point - working from home policies are very flexible and there's no expectation to work long hours(in 45 reviews)

• "Good work-life balance and flexible working hours(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Squad leads (except a few) are total bullies(in 15 reviews)

• "Too much consensus decision-making: I'm not sure why they keep promoting this tribe/squad structuring when(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Awesome company and brilliant culture!"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Just had a quick read through some previous reviews and the negative ones really do baffle me. I'd hate for any potential new employee to be put off by these. While everyone has their own unique experiences, depending on variables such as line manager and team etc, some of the negativity is quite frankly, just nonsense. If someone is unfortunate enough to feel that they are being bullied or are suffering from feeling a lack of inclusivity then there are several channels for employees to report this (Glassdoor probably shouldn't be the starting point), whether this be confidential or otherwise. The company is so protective of its unique culture, especially as the number of employees grows. Personally, I've never worked with such a diverse bunch of humans - it's brilliant! So many people from different countries, faiths, gender identities, sexualities (the list goes on). The company are inherently generous. They are always looking at new ways to make sure we are happy at work. Never settling for just the 'standard', they always try to go over and above. Whether that's something small like a fully stocked soda fridge and fruit bowl or amazing summer staff BBQ's or the lump sum they give us every year towards our own holiday. We're so lucky. The way Skyscanner has handled the current COVID pandemic internally has really been quite outstanding. While our travellers and partners remain our priority, the Exec team have made every effort to ensure employees don't have undue pressure during what is a difficult time for everyone. On a personal level, it's helped me massively - knowing that there's breathing space. The consistent motto has been "do your best" and they know and trust that every single one of us will.

Cons

None, zilch, nada, nein, ninguno (there was a 5 word minimum requirement).

Continue reading

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Technical level is great and culture is fantastic. Best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

No much to say against Skyscanner. It really is a great company.

"Many great people but poor senior managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great product with many millions of users - User focused culture - Leadership genuinely cares about the people working there and do their best to treat them fairly - Many smart people to learn from - Great offices and wfh policies

Cons

- Execs promoted during a period when the company wasn’t hitting targets - no accountability for results at that level - Tribes don’t collaborate well together as tribe leads are only incentivised to lead their own projects instead of playing for the greater good - Execs are very distanced from the day to day and are unable to help teams connect the dots - Bigger and ambitious projects are almost impossible to succeed due to lack of collaboration across tribes and lack of support from Execs - A great example of the above was Need for Speed - where was the CTO during that time? Half the senior managers involved were promoted before the project delivered any value. It took hiring a new VP for someone to have a look under the hood and put an end to that mess. - Some senior managers are clearly only interested in inflating their job title - HR is slow and inefficient - there are important improvements to be made to the PSR process which are being procrastinated for years (particularly around the gap between needs improvement and meets expectations)

June 18, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there - we’re glad to read that you felt that leadership genuinely cared about treating people fairly at Skyscanner whilst you worked here. This year’s employee survey results highlighted that 90% of our employees are proud to work at Skyscanner and 89% would recommend us to others. However, we know there’s always room for improvement and we’d have loved to have heard more about the areas you feel we could work on, as mentioned in your review. We always encourage our employees to take the time to speak to someone in the People team in confidence to discuss further if they can.

4. "Used to be a great place to work, now not as much"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Extremely talented and smart engineers - Great office spaces - Perks of working for a big company like going to conferences, free swag etc - Using a lot of cutting edge technologies - Very progressive Agile DevOps culture - Good work life balance - Great career opportunities - Good transparency of how well or not well the company is doing with daily revenue reports

Cons

- Upper management seems disconnected with the rest of the company, making organisational decisions without much rationality. For example, I have had a total of 5 managers during my 2 years there because of how many organisational changes had happened. - Almost impossible to get promoted to Principal Engineer level or above. - Low salary compared to how hard it is to get in. - The culture has transitioned from a start-up-like casual culture to a colder corporate one which means politics play a big role now.

June 23, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there – we appreciate the time you’ve taken in posting your review and we’re delighted to hear the positive aspects of the experience you’ve had working at Skyscanner. Of course, there’s always work to do on improving how we operate and we like to listen to feedback so that we can improve the way that we do things where possible. We’d always encourage our employees to take the time to speak to someone in the People team in confidence, to discuss feedback further if they can.

5. "One of the best"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Positive culture, empowered teams, good vision

Cons

Frequent Changes, impacts stability a little bit.

6. "Unique opportunity"

Current Employee - Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work/life balance, flexible working, treat you like an adult

Cons

Sometimes the emperor is naked

7. "Overall good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Nice place to work with really nice people. It's a good place for starting your career.

Cons

Processes over people, which makes things difficult like trying to get a promotion or salary raise.

"more haste, less speed"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Good environment, great colleagues. okay perks.

Cons

Every project has to go through validation from stakeholders that are far from the team. Teams are not independent and struggle to move fast. Definition of a team (what they call squad) is quite random and is mostly due to history, this creates weird boundaries between teams which make bringing value to the company almost impossible for one team.

"Toxic"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The usual: pay, location, benefits. Can work from home all the time.

Cons

Managers manipulate workers into bullying others. This poisons teams. I think that most of the time the people that actually do the bullying are not aware of what they are doing, most of the time they are immature and they are manipulated by the managers, who, being the teams very isolated, have unlimited power. Passive aggressive behaviour and emotional blackmailing are the norm.

June 3, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there - we’re really sorry that you have experienced any passive aggressive behaviour – please do reach out to someone in the People team in confidence to discuss this. Last year’s employee survey found that 88% of our employees believe that Skyscanner values an inclusive working environment. We want everyone to feel similarly valued and comfortable, so if this isn’t the case for you, we want to fix that.

10. COVID-19

"A company that cares about its employees and its users above all else"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic culture, investment in employees health, development, wellbeing They ensure they hire great people: smart and with the right attitude They actually give a damn about their users above all else, even if that means a financial hit Work/life balance is fantastic. Remote and flexible working is the norm (even outside of global pandemics) Even when times are tough we're given extra hours/time off to allow us some headspace

Cons

It can be hard to get things done sometimes. Lots of teams working in the same space and unclear boundaries/redundancy in effort.

Found 259 reviews