Skyscanner Reviews

Updated 26 Feb 2021

3.6
Skyscanner Chief Executive Officer  John Mangelaars
John Mangelaars
Pros
  • "Amazing work life balance where your well-being is always prioritised to the fullest(in 56 reviews)

• "Flexible working arrangements, employer genuinely cares about your well-being(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Squad structure isn't for everyone(in 21 reviews)

• "Competency Framework for career progression was one of the manuals you would never understand as an engineer in one go(in 14 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Awesome company and brilliant culture!"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Just had a quick read through some previous reviews and the negative ones really do baffle me. I'd hate for any potential new employee to be put off by these. While everyone has their own unique experiences, depending on variables such as line manager and team etc, some of the negativity is quite frankly, just nonsense. If someone is unfortunate enough to feel that they are being bullied or are suffering from feeling a lack of inclusivity then there are several channels for employees to report this (Glassdoor probably shouldn't be the starting point), whether this be confidential or otherwise. The company is so protective of its unique culture, especially as the number of employees grows. Personally, I've never worked with such a diverse bunch of humans - it's brilliant! So many people from different countries, faiths, gender identities, sexualities (the list goes on). The company are inherently generous. They are always looking at new ways to make sure we are happy at work. Never settling for just the 'standard', they always try to go over and above. Whether that's something small like a fully stocked soda fridge and fruit bowl or amazing summer staff BBQ's or the lump sum they give us every year towards our own holiday. We're so lucky. The way Skyscanner has handled the current COVID pandemic internally has really been quite outstanding. While our travellers and partners remain our priority, the Exec team have made every effort to ensure employees don't have undue pressure during what is a difficult time for everyone. On a personal level, it's helped me massively - knowing that there's breathing space. The consistent motto has been "do your best" and they know and trust that every single one of us will.

Cons

None, zilch, nada, nein, ninguno (there was a 5 word minimum requirement).

2. COVID-19

"Opportunities are there if you grab them"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High level of expertise across the board - everyone is really smart New CEO seems genuine and transparent Travel industry has loads of potential in the next 18-24 months. If you are aligned to the values and focus on what's important to the business, there are plenty of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Big discrepancy in pay between London and other offices - even more acute over lockdown. Company seems too afraid to confront disruptive people and challenge them - passive aggressive behaviours are allowed to continue which is toxic to a trusting and safe environment.

3. "great company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

people, culture, leadership, environment , vision

Cons

too many meetings, cannot think of anything else

4. "Great company to grow"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lot's of learning, great scope

Cons

Travel industry is in a tricky moment right now

5. COVID-19

"Verry Good Employer"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Development

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Flexible Working Conditions, learning and growth, management team is strong

Cons

Impacted by covid, has a lot of process that sometimes gets in the way

6. "Brilliant work culture"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Edinburgh, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Great focus on professional development and culture. Great focus on inclusion and diversity and mental health.

Cons

Can be high pressure with the current climate in the travel industry,

7. COVID-19

"The best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small company punching way above its weight vs. the giants (Airbnb, Booking, Expedia). Great culture, great tech, great mission, ambitious vision and strategy. The team genuinely care about the mission and their work friends and colleagues. The product itself is massively popular and useful. Proper tech company disruptor in travel, and major global brand. The potential is crazy high. I joined 6 years ago and was massively impressed. Team made me feel welcome and rewarded, I got promoted twice and have learned more these past six years then all my previous jobs combined. I truly love this place.

Cons

Company is often spread too thinly, trying to do too much with too few resources. And COVID has really hurt travel, so we've lost momentum and talent. Will need to be focused and patient for travel to recover and get the company back on track.

8. "Great company, full of smart people"

Former Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Opportunities to grow and progress

Cons

Not enough designers for every team

"Struggling to turn great ideas into a sustainable commercial business."

I worked at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

In a sector that most people love. Easy 'mission' to get behind. Should / will make money and ought to be a great business, when people travel again.

Cons

Engineering dominates the management agenda. As a result, there are loads of product ideas and snazzy features but very little commercial / business sense. Needs stronger commercial leadership, to be a 'business', not a pet project for engineers.

10. COVID-19

"Great place to work, but at risk of becoming blind to problems"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the most creative, hard-working and passionate people I've ever met work at Skyscanner. There is a 'can-do' attitude in most teams and a sense of humour and connection across locations. This has really made a difference during remote working. The majority of people at Skyscanner are also passionate about pushing for positive change, so the surveys get high response rates, the I&D initiatives have lots of active voices and participation. People aren't afraid to speak up and most people feel that they can make a difference. There's been great support and empathy from leaders during the pandemic to accommodate personal situations. This is a low point for Skyscanner, but still better than your average company. We should be aspiring for better though. The new CEO could be the fresh start Skyscanner needs for our company recovery and a cultural reset.

Cons

Skyscanner has a problem with its leaders. Not necessarily the exec team themselves, but the people they are relying on to make things happen. As Skyscanner has grown there are more and more middle-managers who don't embody Skyscanner's original culture or the culture that is talked about in town halls or other events. There is a disconnect between what we say people experience and what they actually experience. There continues to be people skating by, while others deliver huge output with minimal recognition. This was made worse in the summer restructure which lost many of the people who actually did the work and kept many of the higher level people, who are great at managing perceptions but terrible at managing individuals. Feedback isn't acted on.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 349 English Reviews