Skyscanner Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Skyscanner Reviews

Updated Oct 12, 2019

Found 195 reviews

3.6
Skyscanner CEO Bryan Dove  (no image)
Bryan Dove
Pros
  • "Agile, work-life balance, growth opportunities(in 29 reviews)

• "There are many inspiring and great leaderships to learn from, flexible working environment as they put trust in each people to be productive(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some squads don't even need to exist at this point(in 11 reviews)

• "No way for career progression even if you are doing your job well, as knowing the right people is the only way forward(in 7 reviews)

1. "Skyscanner really cares abouts its staff, its customers and its partners"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Most engaged and available exec team I have ever worked with - Teams are truly empowered to deliver impact and adapt how they work

Cons

- facing the typical challenges of a company going through this stage of growth

Skyscanner2019-08-01

"Great company, good people."

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Friendly, intelligent colleagues who really work together to get things done. * Lots of change, always a new challenge to to work on. * Good work-life balance and flexible working hours. Skyscanner respects employees.

Cons

* The rate of change can be quick, which may not suit everyone.

Skyscanner2019-09-26

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Company is transparent with us on strategy and revenue - Work/life balance is second-to-none, remote working/working from abroad and flexible hours are the best I've experienced anywhere - Even though we're getting big, it's still relatively flat and easy to make an impact

Cons

- Tribe structure setup isn't great, especially for mobile engineers who are concentrated mostly in a single tribe but with others spread around the busines - We're getting better at delivering quickly but progress can feel slow at times

Advice to Management

- Set mobile engineers up for success with a cross-tribe chapter rather than a half-hearted single tribe

Skyscanner2019-09-25
  4. "Good place for grads"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good onboarding process - easy to get integrated into team

Cons

Going for lunch and all cafes & shops are full of students

Skyscanner2019-09-26
  5. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning culture, autonomy and help from Senior leadership team.

Cons

Can be more transparent on future plans

Skyscanner2019-09-09

"Remains staggeringly ambitious"

Current Employee - Commercial in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked in Skyscanner for several years and it amazes me how ambitious the company is. Very little complacency, big ideas and a culture second to none. I've never worked somewhere where the culture is so profoundly important.

Cons

Big ideas brings big complexity, which causes stresses and strains

Skyscanner2019-09-04

"Really enjoying work at Skyscanner"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Has given me a number of opportunities to continue learn & grow alongside similarly motivated and enthusiastic colleagues. I feel my managers have listened to my feedback over my first 12 months and that is appreciated.

Cons

Continued growth brings organisational and technical debt and things that worked yesterday may not work today. Not really a con - just flagging that there is a degree of ongoing change.

Advice to Management

Keep listening, keep supporting / encouraging and keep developing opportunities to learn and grow. Thanks.

Skyscanner2019-08-23

"Enterprise thinking is causing engineering rot"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Great work life balance 2. Striving hard for diversity

Cons

1. No clear way to grow 2. Too much enterprise thinking 3. Too much change ( every 6 month ) when it comes to Goals 4. Some squads don't even need to exist at this point

Skyscanner2019-09-27

"Bulling and manipulative"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Most people are friendly, open and well meaning. - Comp and benefits are excellent. - Great work-life balance and work from home arrangements.

Cons

- Skyscanner wants to look open and inclusive, but I have found the middle management to be bulling and manipulative. - Nothing ever gets done: it's all talking, meetings and Confluence pages... not a place if you are an engineer and like doing rather than talking. - Skyscanner is very conservative and very afraid of trying anything new in terms of product or technology. They are much more like a bank or a big... corporate than a tech company. - Office politics is rampant. - The product is going from bad to worse, and nobody cares. - They don't know what they are doing and have no clue about how to go forward. If nothing changes very soon, Skyscanner will disappear.

Advice to Management

Please, you need to stop the bulling at all levels.

Skyscanner2019-08-29

"Bullying Culture"

Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance Free snacks Coffee machine Fruits & snacks

Cons

Extreme toxic work culture Management hasn't got a clue how to run the business People resign on a daily basis Only 4 black people work in the London office and a similar number in the Edinburgh head office - lack of diversity and management doesn't seem to want to do anything to rectify this lack of diversity You are expected to accept any feedback given to you regardless of if it is true or not. If you try to... explain/defend or give any feedback you will immediately be fired. I was told nothing that I had to say was important. As a new starter, you are expected to know how their system works on day one and if you make a mistake on day one that will follow you in month 3 even if you are no longer making that one simple mistake that you made on day one of starting with the company Bullying environment Management sit around in meetings all day wondering why so many staff are handing in their notice even though these leavers feedback the exact same things I am describing here to them in their so-called ambushed leavers exit interview and on Glassdoor, they still don't accept these reasons and act oblivious to it Worst company I have ever worked for in my 15 years of working in this field The engineering management team don't have a clue about what they are doing. The manager I supported doesn't seem to know how to open a word document when I was asked to create an end of the day task list in order to micromanage me even though they preach that they are an open inclusive culture where you manage your workload with no micromanagement. He's afraid of making any decisions, hides behind his management team to make key decisions for him If you do join this company be sure to keep your mouth shut and not give any feedback even if they encourage you to do so and say they are open to feedback - this is a trap The company’s future is questionable when compared to their other top competitors who treat staff with respect and value. At Skyscanner, they have a high turnover with staff and are constantly recruiting because people are constantly leaving Their onboarding is extremely poor for new members of staff

Skyscanner2019-08-19