Skyscanner Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Skyscanner Co-founder & Chief Executive Gareth Williams
Gareth Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great working culture - sociable, smart people who respect work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible working, your views matter, great culture, treated amazingly (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant change/very fast paced which is unsettling if you're not used to it (in 5 reviews)

• Too much focus on re-inventing technology solutions, lack of focus on the travel experience (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place for long-term employment and development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Changes. Some might pull it to 'cons', but it is what makes the company succeed and an employee to stay for many years - company changes all the time. Lots of opportunities for horizontal movement and learning news skills up to complete change of what you do.
    People. International gang of highly motivated individuals with ambitions, but also with a friendly attitude.
    Benefits. Lots of cool things in the office and corporate culture that smartly add up to 'goes-without-saying' good salary.

Cons

Changes? No, just joking.
    Just bring on more people to execute all the nice things that we planned for.

2. "Skyscanner"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Using up to date technologies such as Node.js with a challenging environment building highly scalable distributed systems. Skyscanner allows employees to own their job and determine the best ways to achieve their goals.

Cons

As the company scales it is becoming more bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Encourage more proof of concept experimentation

"Great company culture, poor engineering culture"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

- Good benefits, well looked after and thought about in terms of people
    - Open, transparent comms and business direction
    - Flexible work/life balance
    - Nice offices / rooms / desks
    - Good range of benefits

Cons

Overhyped by the job agent who assured me I won't have worked at a company before with a culture as good as Skyscanner. Wrong.

It's like any other company yet with a poor engineering culture and management (in the London Office). It thinks it's an agile culture, but it's a long way off. Very enterprise-like in many respects...
    - Very little autonomy
    - Lots of upfront design and documentation, sign-off
    - Isolated squads, people working individually (almost expected so)
    - Micro-management, bureaucracy
    - Code first, test later

If you want to learn how to become a good developer/engineer this isn't the company to do so. Products are long and progress slowly as do decisions around them.

Career progression is slow and lacks visibility. Too much dependency on being liked by managers (who are a large part of the problem) rather than just being good at what you do. Too much chain of command/feedback as part of it.

Poor hiring policy. Seem to value CV titles from large enterprise companies, which affects the culture hugely.

Advice to Management

If you're hiring the best engineers, then trust them and let them get on with their jobs.

Get to know your engineers beyond their line-managers and promote the people actually doing a good job and adding value (and not the ones who makes themselves look busy/important).

31 Oct 2017 – Skyscanner Team

Thanks for your feedback. You call out a number places where you see the opportunity for positive change and we’d really appreciate you giving us the chance to explore these with you further. Please... More

5. "Best place I've ever worked!"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Flexible working, your views matter, great culture, treated amazingly!

Cons

N/A - no cons to speak of.

"Great place to work, especially if you are a skilled Devops Software Engineer."

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Skyscanner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great office environments, flexible working, always moving forward with new projects. Trying hard to maintain a "startup" atmosphere. Great if you like/are good at taking ownership of your own services.

Cons

Recognition of the huge value "support" functions bring to the business lags way behind Software Engineering and Commercial teams.
    Efforts of non London/Edinburgh employees often invisible to Senior Management.
    Salaries decent but still not top tier (except for some overly generous London supplements).

Advice to Management

Remember there are a lot of great employees outwith London/Edinburgh - maybe visit them and spend time working there once in a while!
    Arbitrary job titles changes (on-paper demotions essentially) HUGELY demoralise staff, even if they are too scared to tell you directly.

7. "Great company, not so great people"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Skyscanner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Startup culture, modern office and lots of free food

Cons

Career progression is extremely slow unless you are favored by your managers
    Too much performance pressure

Advice to Management

Give opportunities to people moving in between teams

3 Oct 2017 – Skyscanner Team

We appreciate your suggestion that we could do a better job of giving people the opportunity to move between teams. We’ve been working hard to improve and streamline the process for doing so. Thanks... More

"Excellent Place to Work - 5 *"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Great benefits (including home country working, buying extra holidays etc).
    Share scheme
    Exposure to new technology

Cons

Pace of change within the business can be rapid.

Advice to Management

Throughout my journey at Skyscanner I've been well supported and my managers have provided me with the right level of challenge, and helped me progress in areas that interest me. Much appreciated and keep it up :)

"Great culture and enviroment"

I worked at Skyscanner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Skyscanner really looks after it's employees, the culture they have created makes it a great place to work. They have really good benefits and a fantastic working environment.

Cons

I did feel they could do better at reflecting the day time is precious value as I feel that some people did work too many hours. People could do better at getting away from their desks for a lunch break.

"Cant recommend Skyscanner highly enough"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, flexible working, excellent career progression opportunities and of course scooters for getting round the office, barrista machines, free fruit and snack. They also do a yearly review of wages to ensure they are at the least aligned and at best exceeding levels of pay within sector

Cons

Expectations and standards are high

"London based offices are a disaster"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CEO is very trusting, ambitious but not unrealistic
    Perks are good
    Some very smart people working there (although that comes with some arrogance)

Cons

Jobs are missold to you when you interview.
    They talk the talk of a modern tech company but under the hood it's not like that at all.
    'We have autonomy! We are agile. We work in squads and tribes! We have an open culture'
    Absolute rubbish!! After you get past a painful and long interview process where you aren't told what you'll be working on. They assign you to a squad. The squad may not be what you are looking for or even need someone with your skill set but hey that doesn't matter, you have a job at skyscanner, a cool tech company, you should be grateful.
    Lots of pressure from middle management. Little to no support. Lots of 'sign off' disguises as 'forums to help you'
    My advice don't waste your time going for an interview if you plan to work in their London offices. It's not worth your time.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your staff and their careers.
    Stop the arrogance. Start practising what you preach. And review the recruitment process because it's awful

21 Aug 2017 – Skyscanner Team

Thank you for your honest feedback – we really value it. We’ve been fine-tuning our recruitment process over the past 6-12 months and will continue to do so, so your comments are helpful. It would be... More