Skyscanner Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Skyscanner Reviews

Updated 19 Feb 2020

3.8
Skyscanner Chief Executive  Bryan Dove  (no image)
Bryan Dove
Pros
Cons
  • "Some squads don't even need to exist at this point(in 11 reviews)

• "Career progression is impossible unless you're not Brit working at the HQ or with many friends in the organization(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing place to build products, a very product centric organisation and culture. Building and shipping stuff here is very easy. Mission driven company, truly customer centric, all decisions are made in a data driven way with customers at the heart of how we operate Great team mates, people here are smart, ambitious and very humble. Interesting problems to work on, when you get to a certain level of scale, interesting problem spaces emerge that you wouldn't necessarily get to work on in small startups.

Cons

Working across circa 9 offices can sometimes cause communications challenges, but this would be the same in any global tech company and not specific to Skyscanner, it's really up to people to decide what scale of company makes sense for how they like to operate.

Skyscanner2019-12-05

"Best workplace I’ve worked at"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with an amazing team where the vast majority of people get along with each other. Having the ability to work with new emerging technologies and having a world class workplace to do it in. The pay and benefits are good in my experience.

Cons

Progressing up a grade is extremely difficult unless you play the visibility game and saying the right things to the right people

Skyscanner2020-02-07
  3. "Best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible working, Inspiring leaders, Ambitious, Autonomy, Trust

Cons

Can be tough to get promoted Salaries could be better

Skyscanner2020-02-05

"HR Games"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing mindset, bright people and great mission. Respect and collaboration is key value in day to day interactions.

Cons

After many hours of demanding interviews, I got the job. Lots of talk of how the company respects people and that’s why the interviews are so hard! If you get through, you surely be rewarded. I was congratulated I did really well! Comes negotiation with HR, and yes, salary goes down but no one forced me to accept it (after all the trust talk... oh well). And then comes the email, they are actually offering a lower position than I applied for (and interviewed, passed the tests, and just accepted on the phone). Brilliant, great first impression, great way to break trust. Talked with some friends, and they went through exactly the same episode, some didn’t accept a lower position than they applied for (and went on to get a job at other company where got offered above their expectations), some did accept and end up frustrated (wondering why they negotiate so badly). Does HR gets bonus out of this or is it company policy to undervalue candidates after making them prove themselves worthy?

Skyscanner2020-02-11
  5. "A nice environment and interesting problems"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* The people are generally nice and friendly * Operating at scale provides interesting challenges * Engineering is invested in, with good kit and good software * A lot of teams do truly practice continuous delivery, unlike elsewhere in the industry

Cons

* Technical direction tends to be top-down with a very opinionated technical leadership not leaving much room for autonomy or invention lower down in the organisation. The primary forum for company-wide technical direction is only open to engineers of principal rank and above. * In part as a result of the above things can be fairly slow to move and various sub-par internal tools are forced on developers. * Over the past couple of years seems to be becoming increasingly process-heavy in a way that is a distraction from actually getting the job done * Annual company meeting is getting increasingly cultish, last one featured chanting in unison

Skyscanner2020-02-19

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Skyscanner is a fantastic place to work - people and culture are its' greatest assets. I've been working in engineering for more than 15 years and I've never come across another place where almost everyone I encounter is positive, engaged and highly skilled at their job. There's no shortage of engineering challenges to take on and learn from but the company clearly values and invests in making it easy to do the right thing. Again, different to everywhere else I've worked, this company really lives and breathes it's values. At first, this can come across as almost cult like but you come to realise that everyone is genuinely committed to doing right by their customers and that's not a bad thing. It certainly beats working for a soulless corporate. Work/life balance is also a strong selling point - working from home policies are very flexible and there's no expectation to work long hours.

Cons

There are a number of reviews on here that talk about how hard it is to progress in engineering careers and how disconnected senior management are. Speaking personally, I genuinely don't recognise that description of the place so YMMV.

Skyscanner2020-01-30
  7. "Organisational mayhem"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment to work in and get stuff done at your level.

Cons

Things get tricky when you need to collaborate. And given the way the company is organised, you need to collaborate a lot. There aren't a lot of independent teams here.. Which creates a lot of coordination overhead..

Skyscanner2020-02-17
  8. "Excellent workplace, talented and helpful people"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All of the people that I met in Skyscanner were carefully selected so that to be co-operative and this is what made my life easier while working there.

Cons

Due to the huge growth in terms of people, the company ended up with a lot of people taking over people-management positions without having the required skills.

Skyscanner2020-01-31
  9. "Great culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing company culture where you can truly speak your opinions to anyone regardless of hierarchy.

Cons

Not much meaty engineering work in the Edinburgh office.

Skyscanner2020-02-13
  10. "Amazing company that deeply cares about it's stuff and costomers"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely brilliant place with lots of world-class specialists and a deep care of it's core values. The company is on the route to change the world of travel for good with the scientific approach and huge focus on sustainability and modernisation. I'm incredibly proud to be par't of this journey.

Cons

Not much really. Lots of teams which can sow down the process, but it comes with every company that has crossed the 300 headcount :)

Skyscanner2020-01-20

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 231 reviews