Symetra Reviews

Updated 29 Jul 2020

3.3
Symetra CEO Margaret Meister (no image)
Margaret Meister
Pros
  • "Great work-life balance: offers flexible schedule with an option to work from home(in 36 reviews)

• "Good benefits and extra flex days(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management can be scattered and varies from team to team(in 15 reviews)

• "Also, work/life balance does take a toll during busy season, but that is to be expected in accounting/finance(in 13 reviews)

1. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company really cares about its employees

Cons

Slightly below market pay, little pay raises each year

July 30, 2020Erin Woltz, AVP, Talent Management

I am thrilled that you are enjoying your time at Symetra and that you feel cared for! We definitely are actively working to improve the employee experience to create an environment where you thrive. I would love to hear more about your experience with compensation, though, based on your comment about your annual pay raise. Please contact me directly at erin.woltz@symetra.com.

2. "Average Company"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co Workers were some of the best I have worked with.

Cons

Micro management is very common. Customer service quality was often sacrificed for the sake of keeping call lengths to the bare minimum.

Continue reading

3. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Data Analyst

I worked at Symetra full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and 401k match

Cons

Need to upgrade their tools

July 30, 2020Erin Woltz, AVP, Talent Management

It’s great to hear that you had a positive experience at Symetra! Your comments about better tools are noted; we are actively working to improve our business and employee tools. Some recent milestones include implementing a new policy admin system for Group Life & Disability and selecting a new, single tool for company-wide collaboration and instant messaging. Thank you for the feedback!

4. "Not Bad"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Waltham, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a good filler job

Cons

Lousy Pay, High stress, hours no good

July 20, 2020Josh Buckland, Assistant Director, New Business

Case Manager work is challenging, and it involves dedication to customer service. We’re committed to market-competitive compensation, and our career framework is designed to help interested and qualified employees advance. We wish you well with your next employer!

5. "Fantastic Place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Case Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Symetra full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic management, benefits, coworkers, remote work available, great pay,

Cons

Cant think of a ton right now, its been an amazing experience so far, and i dont have any drawbacks at hand.

July 15, 2020Josh Buckland, Assistant Director, New Business

Thank you for providing such thoughtful feedback. We are so happy you are with us at Symetra, thanks for being part of our great Symetra culture!

"Awesome Company /Micro Managers"

Current Employee - Std Case Manager in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than a year

Pros

WFH option, salary, benefits, culture, and employees

Cons

Micro management and no growth unless you know the right people.

"Review"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Enfield, CT

I worked at Symetra full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, the company has a good culture - people are positive and it's a bit more relaxed compared to east coast insurance firms.

Cons

At the time, the customer service leadership was not very forward thinking or open to new ways of doing things. The job could have easily been much more efficient and less stressful.

April 2, 2020Lindsey Lajoie, Director LTD Claim Operations

Thank you for your review – specific feedback like this helps us understand what we’re doing right and how we can improve. Our positive culture and the relationships we build help us to maintain a high retention rate in our call center. We are a company focused on innovation, process improvement, and servicing our customers. Our customer service leadership team has been working to create efficiencies based on suggestions from the team! We have seen positive impact to our customers and our employees have been excited to be a part of the continuous improvement.

"Great Benefits but Poor Management"

Former Employee - Accountant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits - 6% 401K match, pet insurance and 3 days a week work from home.

Cons

Micro-management culture- Manager and supervisor does not trust the team, like to humiliate and causes stress/fear on the team. It's tough to get promoted. Short staffed and working long hours to meet deadlines.

January 17, 2020Erin Woltz, AVP Talent Management, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback, both the good and the bad. What you describe isn’t consistent with how we expect managers to lead. It’s unfortunate that you’ve already left Symetra – we always hope that employees speak up about their experience before they decide to leave, so we have a chance to do something about it.

"Perpetually Understaffed and Overworked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, nice co-workers, management can be flexible for need for time off.

Cons

Poor management, too much overtime expected from the employees

November 11, 2019Kevin Sheridan, VP, Life & Disability Claims

Thank you for your review. I hear you – we have not been fully staffed, and it’s a very busy time of the year for us. We’ve hired quite a few people recently, and we’re actively recruiting more to join the Symetra team. Many of our openings were the result of promotions or opportunities to move to other parts of the company, which is good news, overall. I am glad you’ve noticed flexibility for time off – that’s important to me, especially when employees are working longer hours and with the holiday season starting.

"Good company, great values, LOTS of change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, rewarding work, supportive culture, opportunities to develop/career advancement, health benefits, tuition reimbursement, 401k matching, skilled/inspirational CEO, lots of positive change

Cons

Every single department is going through some sort of change. While the changes seem to be very positive and often necessary (innovation, shifting business model, developing a culture of learning, reaffirming commitment to diversity and inclusion) it can often be challenging/stressful to keep up.

August 6, 2019Jennifer Sharp, AVP, Human Resources

I couldn’t agree more -- we’re all feeling the effects of significant and rapid change, at all level and across the company. We’re investing in change management resources, including a new team member who is focused on innovation and organizational change.

Found 271 reviews