TPP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
TPP CEO Frank Hester
Frank Hester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Be able to make a difference from day one - the best idea is always the one taken forward, not the idea from the person who has worked here longest" (in 10 reviews)

• "The flat hierarchy means you have a say in what you work on" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "The most important thing is that you talk about your problems, whether they be with workload, work life balance or whatever" (in 9 reviews)

• "The flat hierarchy does not work" (in 15 reviews)

"Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Deployment Specialist in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Deployment Specialist in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are so many exciting things to get involved in. If you like a job where you are constantly learning or trying new things then this is the career for you.

One day you could be deploying the system in China or the Middle East, the next, you could be working with GPs to deploy our system in the UK.

There is a great variety of work and the company really rewards you well for your hard work!

Cons

It can get a little stressful at times with deadlines fast approaching.

"Do Something Useful"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

I never thought I wanted to work an office job - I'm not a fan of most corporate cultures. I also wanted to work on something big, and worthwhile, without really having any idea what that was. TPP has brought together a lot of like-minded people who are bright, and driven, and want to use their abilities to make a difference, and they've set up a culture that does away with office politics, pointless, endless meetings, and stultifying middle management just out for themselves. Having a shared goal that means something, a supportive team, and the ability to change things you don't like makes for a good working environment.

I'm proud of what I've done here, and I've enjoyed doing it. My work has directly improved the way healthcare is delivered in a bunch of different settings and locations and that feels pretty good.

Cons

We haven't landed a contract in the Caribbean yet. Sort it out.

"Exciting And Enjoyable"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming from university and other jobs and placements that had been dull I was concerned that working life was going to be dull but I can honestly say that I have never been bored at TPP. There's always exciting projects in development and always more to learn.

My colleagues are genuinely lovely, bright and like minded people which creates a very friendly working environment, completely free from office politics.

The work we do has a real impact on the healthcare delivered to patients and it's extremely rewarding to visit customers and see the difference we can make, whether in the UK or abroad.

I think that I'd struggle to find a company anywhere else with such lovely employees and that keeps me so well interested and challenged. I look forward to coming to work each morning.

Cons

The working day is extremely busy and we can start to feel that we have a lot on and this can be a bit stressful. That said, we're good at watching out for each other and sharing work which really does help.

Some people have mentioned coming in to work out of hours - a price that we pay for having a system that is needed all hours of the day and night. Yes, we'd rather not have to, but we do get time back for out of hours work and there's something really satisfying about working in the night to fix a real problem.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, let's try to keep the friendly culture that we have. It really makes the company.

"A great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, working with extremely bright people on enjoyable varied work that provides a genuine benefit to patient care in the UK and abroad.

Everyone is friendly and helpful and no matter how long you've worked here you can always get help if you need it or volunteer opinions that will be listened to and respected.

Cons

Occasional out-of-hours work is necessary due to the nature of the product (but we generally do a good job of learning from these events and prioritising work to prevent reoccurrence).

International travel can often be very last-minute (although we are getting better on this front and the benefits/expenses/remuneration for international travel are extremely generous).

Advice to Management

Relaxing restrictions on recreational programming and open-source development outside of work would help your employees to learn skills that may prove useful in the workplace and might help alleviate some of the concerns of leavers who want more transferable skills or to "try something different".

"A rewarding place to work"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

If you're wanting a genuinely rewarding place to work, TPP is it.

The company values and ethos are really positive and working to improve healthcare at home and abroad gives you a great feeling.

On a less altruistic note, the perks and benefits are great too - not to mention the salary.

Cons

You're expected to work hard and take on a lot of responsibility from day one. It can be quite daunting but it's also good as you become invested in the company, its products and the vision and you get to learn a lot in a short space of time too!

"Can't imagine a better job"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve been a Software Developer at TPP for almost 10 years. Over that time I have worked on a wide range of projects, and learned loads. The variety of things I get to work on is one of the main reasons I have stayed in the same job for so long. I’m constantly challenged and never bored.

It is great to work with such bright, motivated people. It is reassuring to know that whenever you get stuck, you can get help from people around you.

The flat hierarchy means you are able to take on responsibility from day one, and it is great to see new people coming in and contributing right from the start.

The pay and perks are fantastic - Yoga, massages, guitar lessons, free pub tab, annual sailing trip, to name a few. Also, the chance to travel all over the world, with the associated allowances for meals/travel etc while you are away, is great.

We work hard, but we are definitely rewarded for it. Although we sometimes have to come in for emergencies, we generally all leave the office at 5:15pm every day, and 4pm on Fridays. All my friends that have jobs with similar salaries are expected to work much longer hours.

Cons

Having to come in out of hours for emergencies can be annoying, but it is not frequent and the pay/perks more than make up for it.

Due to the nature of the work, it can be stressful at times, but generally at a level that makes the work satisfying, not overwhelming.

"Working in the Technical Operations Team at TPP"

Current Employee - Technical Operations in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Technical Operations in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at TPP for quite a few years and find it an engaging place to work. Working with one of the largest real time databases in the world and supporting the infrastructure behind our products is very rewarding. Here are a few key points about my role and the company:

* Varied technical role, working with databases, networks and server hardware
    * Technical research and development - looking into, testing and implementing cutting edge hardware
    * Working closely as a team to share and develop skills
    * International travel
    * Loads of holiday and great pay
    * Regular social events
    * Improving the quality of healthcare around the globe with our products

Cons

Supporting a 24/7 system can interrupt life outside of work from time to time but its rare and you get time off to balance that out.

I read a couple of other reviews about the cons of working at TPP and I feel that a lot of them are unjustified or over exaggerated. When a company is growing at such a fast rate and there are so many new projects it can seem daunting, and as with any company mistakes will be made. At TPP we look at these mistakes and try to ensure they don't reoccur to prevent time being wasted making the same mistakes over and over again.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture as the company grows, keep reviewing and improving!

"Exciting and very rewarding"

Current Employee - Software Engineer @ TPP in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer @ TPP in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New and exciting projects
    Lots of perks
    Good pay
    Great sociable staff
    International travel opportunities

Cons

Some minor out of hours work required but not often

"Enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Deployment Specialist
    Current Employee - Deployment Specialist

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at TPP for over 4 years, the Deployment Specialist job role has changed so much since I started and is now a very varied role. This is good as you are constantly learning and feeling challenged at work.

Cons

Sometimes it’s hard to manage all the work you have to do and to get through it you do have to come in out of hours. This is rare and usually it’s the full team that come in and help each other so you soon get on top of it.

"A tech company with a difference"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with intelligent people who are all motivated towards the same goal is incredibly liberating. There aren't pockets of competing interest within the company, and everyone you interact with genuinely wants the best possible outcome for you and your work.

Agile development methodology and everyone being encouraged to have a critical eye towards unnecessary tasks means you're always working on high-priority work and feel like what you're doing is worthwhile. No zombie projects here!

Warm feeling when you go home on an evening that you're actually doing something which is making the world a better place. For me personally, knowing that I'm making a positive difference as part of my work is something which is very important. There are many, many jobs out there where you won't get that.

Cons

As other reviews have said, out of hours work is an annoying but inevitable result of providing a 24/7 system, but we're very good at getting to root causes and prioritising the work to fix them so it doesn't happen again.