TPP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
TPP CEO Frank Hester
Frank Hester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you are not afraid of hard work and would like a rewarding career where you can make a difference, you need to give TPP a go" (in 8 reviews)

• "The company has a flat hierarchy (with the exception of a handful of directors)" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "That’s why it’s important to get a good work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "If you've read other review I'm sure you've heard it's a flat hierarchy - certainly ambitious but obviously difficult to implement" (in 13 reviews)

1. "account manager"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

international environment and high wage rate

Cons

unclear aptitude test structure

"Hard to recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsforth, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsforth, England

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

- Generous benefits, e.g. training allowance, occasional afternoon off for drinking.
    - TPP offers very generous pay. With the starting salary going up to £40,000 soon and regular pay rises you can expect to earn bank there.
    - Wonderful people (up to a point). Most of the people you work with on a day-to-day basis are bright, lovely and helpful.
    - Relatively good for graduates with no experience in the tech industry.
    - TPP works in the medical industry so gives you a feel good factor. A lot of people use the software in the NHS.
    - TPP has a direct culture. There is a no-nonsense approach to conversations which usually makes thing quick and constructive.

Cons

I left TPP for a few reasons, but I could probably sum up the cons of TPP in three letters. Starts with a C and ends in an O. There is a more general list though so here it goes:
    1. Tech stack is incredibly out of date. Can't go into details but this is no Spotify, Google or Netflix. Don't expect to find any technology beyond around 2007. TPP are actively reluctant to adopt newer technologies based on the opinion of a select few... see number 2.

2. Management, management, management. The most obvious problem at TPP is the CEO himself. Antagonistic, unpredictable and behind the times.
    There is a layer of management circled around the CEO best described as lackeys.
    They actively seek to remove anyone who would challenge or question his decisions. The thing is, he needs challenging.

3. Hypocrisy. One of the things that is drilled into you from day one is:
    "Ask questions. Often newer people ask obvious questions that make us change our processes."
    It turns out there are some taboos. Questioning some things is the fast track to being fired. The no-go list is undefined because it changes based on the mood of number 2.
    This is advertised as the flat hierarchy. If you omit management, the people are on even ground at TPP and interaction with those people is invigorating. You just have to ignore the mountain in the middle.

4. Apathetic to improving healthcare. A lot of people go to TPP because its software seems to have a positive effect on the NHS and healthcare industry. This is not reflected in the management. The way that TPP prioritises its work gives no importance to things that would actually be good for patients, it is more about money.

5. Lack of experience and constantly changing priorities = absolute chaos.
    Imagine being in a room where everyone is trying to figure out what a piece of work is and someone has promised it for tomorrow. This is a symptom of a much wider problem.
    TPP has a lack of direction, the work is constantly changing and always treated as paramount. It is often ill-defined and badly prioritised. You can spend most of your time fighting processes and trying to figure out what to do, only to find that you've done the wrong thing and the project no longer exists only to re-emerge months later in the same state.
    It's demoralising and management do little to help.

"Disorganised and frustrating"

Former Employee - CSA
    Former Employee - CSA

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

You’ll get more out of them than they get out of you. High salary, travel opportunities, nice people with the exception of a few at the top, introduction to interesting work.

Cons

- Certain directors can be vile at times. Lots of unnecessary and vindictive attacks on individuals, who are talked about with very personal and inappropriate in front of rooms full of other employees.
    - Never really know who to trust, encouraged to find fault with fellow employees at any opportunity. Tense atmosphere
    - very chaotic environment. No one really has a good grasp on projects as a whole, everything is rushed short-term jerk reactions to individual issues. Especially true of their international work (which is fun, but an enormous amount of work is expended for very little gain). Directions change according to the personal whim of directors and assertive individuals within each team.
    - Lots of fundamentally good principles (self-assessment, flat hierarchy) are transformed into a culty series of slogans and habits, and you end up spending a good chunk of your time filling in whiteboards and ‘highlighting’ why a five minute task has taken five and a half minutes.
    - Most new starters, and lots of people who have been there longer, get sacked very suddenly. This isn’t such a bad thing given you get paid for a couple of months, but if you’re looking for a career as opposed to a job don’t go anywhere near this company.

4. "Hellish Place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

- High starting salary and benefits
    - Nice modern office in lovely area
    - Work with many intelligent people

Cons

There are many things I found difficult when working for the company, but I think that most of them stem from its structure. If you've read other review I'm sure you've heard it's a flat hierarchy - certainly ambitious but obviously difficult to implement. Perhaps in its early days, when the company was small and everybody was at a similar level in terms of writing code/industry experience, this structure worked well. The trouble is that there is an unhealthy proportion of new starters to experienced employees, and so giving everybody the same work and treating everybody the same results in over confident, often power seeking older workers and timid younger workers who are constantly trying (and mostly failing) to behave like the perfect 'TPP person'. The micromanagement to be this TPP person, defined however those with power see fit at the time, is horrendous - forget about working according to how you find you've worked best throughout your whole life, it's either their way, or you're out. An astonishing amount of very capable employees get fired any time within their first two years.

The hours are reasonable (finish at 5.15 quite consistently) but there is an abnormal and ironically inefficient intensity to the work. You can work next to someone for a year and not know a single thing about them, just by the fact any non-work related talk is strongly discouraged. You will literally have to shout sorry to the entire floor if you are 1 minute late in the morning. On top of this, the coders are often required to be 'on call', which results in being woken quite regularly in the middle of the night and volunteering to go into the office.

To question anything regarding the culture, or key technological issues of the company, is a huge mistake - you will either get mocked or in some cases, made to leave. It is much wiser to keep your head down and unnoticed, it is the CEO alone who makes any decisions of significant impact and no one else in the 'flat' hierarchy.

If you've just come out of university and are unsure of what step next to take, my wholehearted advice would be to avoid this company like the plague. You will find neither happiness or a career.

Advice to Management

Learn from the top tech companies. Evolve and take your employees needs more seriously - be more tolerant!

"Great place let down by management"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

-Amazing starting salary and salary increases
    -Benefits are really good
    -Truly work with some amazingly talented and friendly people

Cons

-Not treated like an adult- shouting if late to the room
    -Boss uses inappropriate language in meetings
    -People aren't given reason for ending their employment
    -People called out individually in meetings
    -Technology feels like it's not been reviewed in a while

Advice to Management

-Don't swear in meetings
    -If you know something can be taken as racist/sexist etc, don't say it
    -Get an anonymous feedback system, you won't hear problems from your employees (they will maintain that they're fine telling you anything, they're not)
    -You've spent enough finding new recruits, give them more of a chance
    -Update the technology you are working with

"bad for your mental health"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

- good salary
    - most of the people are really nice and very smart. Not all
    - if you have a low moral compass, you could go really far here

Cons

- you get fired instantly and without reason. this happens a lot before you've been there for 2 years, so they don't legally need to give you a reason. Before you think about taking a job here, ask them how many people they have lost in the last year - the number will be seriously shocking, I think a lot of these people will have been fired, but so many have quit too!!!
    - the language used to speak to people is genuinely disgusting. You are scapegoated regularly. If they want to get rid of you they will start digging into everything you have ever said or done that can be used against you
    - I know many people who suffered from anxiety because of the culture of this workplace. You are constantly on edge if you make even the smallest mistake
    - people are "encouraged" to write reviews. Some people write them every 6 months to balance out the negative ones
    - notice how a lot of the great 5 * reviews only say one or two lines about the company? that's odd
    - there's no such thing as a flat hierarchy here. Only one person makes all the decisions...
    I could go on and on and on...........

Advice to Management

You're terrible.

"You don't realise how corrupt it is until you leave"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Made some lovely friends at TPP - the social life is great and the company pays for most of it which is a bonus

Cons

If you enjoy walking on egg shells throughout your career, then this is the place for you!
    You never know when you could be fired. You can feel the tense atmosphere in the workplace - "who's going to be the one to go today then"
    You've got to be careful to watch what you say and not annoy the wrong people - one comment that they don't like and you're out.
    They say they encourage people to speak their mind and question those in positions of power, but as soon as you're in a position to do that they're offended and you're out.
    I had a great time whilst at TPP, but I was only there for a short while. Upon leaving I came to realise that all the perks and free alcohol that they feed you is just to distract you from level of corrupt behaviour within the company.
    They suck you in with the goodies and freebies.
    Its like a bad relationship - you don't realise how toxic it was until you're out of it.

"Horrific."

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Some lovely people (most of whom left/were fired), and the perks are really attractive to a grad out of university. ALL (bar the sailing) are widely available at other organisations.

Cons

When I tell people about my time here, they think I'm lying. It was truly horrific.

The "management" are bullies. There was a server issue and I was on the phone to a client. I apologised and said I had to go and hung the phone up, and I was immediately screamed at by the CEO for not complying quickly enough. I was made to apologise in front of the room once the issue was cleared up. I argued back that I was being polite and it didn't take longer than 5 seconds, and was screamed and sworn at further.

People regularly had to clean the glass doors as a punishment for accidentally smearing them.

We were required (I believe the phrase was "volunteer") to come in out of hours, even if we were busy. If we didn't come in, we were called into a room to explain why. No one ever had a valid excuse, so black marks were always put against people's names (I was away in York one time and this wasn't a good enough reason for not coming back to help out). Battery dying/phone being off were met with derision.

TPP also stipulate that you must live within a certain radius of the office. There was some heavy snowfall that affected public transport so that - even though people lived in the required area - staff couldn't make it into work. One colleague walked for two hours in the snow and was told he "should have left earlier". Those that didn't try the schlep were told not to come back.

At one point we had to write logs of our daily activity including how long we were spending in the toilet.

So many people quit/were fired in the first months I worked here. The CEO told one of my colleagues (who walked the week before I did) that the turnover was so high that they were forced to lie about it as it looked that bad - apparently he seemed rather proud of this fact?

We were encouraged to review our colleagues when we'd been out on site visits with them - if management seemed to be taking a dislike to an individual, they encouraged you to be outright negative. Subsequently you never saw that individual again,

Training was all in-house, basic and hurried. Following this we were sent out into the field really quickly. On site, we'd often encounter frustrated customers who'd use our visits as an opportunity to vent their concerns because when they tried to contact the support teams directly they were being ignored.

They failed to file my paperwork properly also once I had left, resulting in lots of to-ing and fro-ing with HMRC after I'd quit. HR is an absolute joke, and no one cares about your well being. Contrary to some of the "authentic" five-star reviews on here suggesting that colleagues well being is a) on themselves and b) the responsibility of everyone, fundamentally it's down to lines of management and HR. There is no one there to help you out, and everyone is out for themselves because of the toxic culture that has built up.

Advice to Management

Change your management team. Seriously.

"Could be a nice place to work but ....."

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Most staff seemed to be well paid for the work they did
    Nice HQ
    Staff perks like free haircuts, free bar tab, pool table etc.

Cons

The CEO and some of the directors are outright bullies - they regularly swore at & belittled staff. TPP employs a lot of graduates fresh out of University, pays them above the odds but then treats them like dirt. Anyone who tries to stand up to the bullying/harassment is unceremoniously fired, often in front of their team! They had a 'rule' that if you were late, for whatever reason, you had to stand in front of the whole office and shout 'I'm sorry for being late!'. Like being back at school. HR was non-existent. People seemed to get fired on a whim, usually just before they had completed their first year so they couldn't claim unfair dismissal. There is a reason why there are a lot of bad reviews about TPP, their claim to be a great place to work is their polished PR machine doing it's bit. Have a look at their website, the fact that they are permanently recruiting should tell you something.

"Great company and Pay"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

Everything - great environment

Cons

Nothing whatsoever- it’s great