TPP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
TPP CEO Frank Hester
Frank Hester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "From there you are encouraged to develop what you are good at and the flat hierarchy really does make it possible" (in 15 reviews)

• "If you are not afraid of hard work and would like a rewarding career where you can make a difference, you need to give TPP a go" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "That’s why it’s important to get a good work/life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "Flat hierarchy was constantly touted, but in reality was not really an accurate description of how the company ran" (in 10 reviews)

1. "account manager"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

international environment and high wage rate

Cons

unclear aptitude test structure

"Great place let down by management"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

-Amazing starting salary and salary increases
    -Benefits are really good
    -Truly work with some amazingly talented and friendly people

Cons

-Not treated like an adult- shouting if late to the room
    -Boss uses inappropriate language in meetings
    -People aren't given reason for ending their employment
    -People called out individually in meetings
    -Technology feels like it's not been reviewed in a while

Advice to Management

-Don't swear in meetings
    -If you know something can be taken as racist/sexist etc, don't say it
    -Get an anonymous feedback system, you won't hear problems from your employees (they will maintain that they're fine telling you anything, they're not)
    -You've spent enough finding new recruits, give them more of a chance
    -Update the technology you are working with

"You don't realise how corrupt it is until you leave"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Made some lovely friends at TPP - the social life is great and the company pays for most of it which is a bonus

Cons

If you enjoy walking on egg shells throughout your career, then this is the place for you!
    You never know when you could be fired. You can feel the tense atmosphere in the workplace - "who's going to be the one to go today then"
    You've got to be careful to watch what you say and not annoy the wrong people - one comment that they don't like and you're out.
    They say they encourage people to speak their mind and question those in positions of power, but as soon as you're in a position to do that they're offended and you're out.
    I had a great time whilst at TPP, but I was only there for a short while. Upon leaving I came to realise that all the perks and free alcohol that they feed you is just to distract you from level of corrupt behaviour within the company.
    They suck you in with the goodies and freebies.
    Its like a bad relationship - you don't realise how toxic it was until you're out of it.

"Horrific."

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Some lovely people (most of whom left/were fired), and the perks are really attractive to a grad out of university. ALL (bar the sailing) are widely available at other organisations.

Cons

When I tell people about my time here, they think I'm lying. It was truly horrific.

The "management" are bullies. There was a server issue and I was on the phone to a client. I apologised and said I had to go and hung the phone up, and I was immediately screamed at by the CEO for not complying quickly enough. I was made to apologise in front of the room once the issue was cleared up. I argued back that I was being polite and it didn't take longer than 5 seconds, and was screamed and sworn at further.

People regularly had to clean the glass doors as a punishment for accidentally smearing them.

We were required (I believe the phrase was "volunteer") to come in out of hours, even if we were busy. If we didn't come in, we were called into a room to explain why. No one ever had a valid excuse, so black marks were always put against people's names (I was away in York one time and this wasn't a good enough reason for not coming back to help out). Battery dying/phone being off were met with derision.

TPP also stipulate that you must live within a certain radius of the office. There was some heavy snowfall that affected public transport so that - even though people lived in the required area - staff couldn't make it into work. One colleague walked for two hours in the snow and was told he "should have left earlier". Those that didn't try the schlep were told not to come back.

At one point we had to write logs of our daily activity including how long we were spending in the toilet.

So many people quit/were fired in the first months I worked here. The CEO told one of my colleagues (who walked the week before I did) that the turnover was so high that they were forced to lie about it as it looked that bad - apparently he seemed rather proud of this fact?

We were encouraged to review our colleagues when we'd been out on site visits with them - if management seemed to be taking a dislike to an individual, they encouraged you to be outright negative. Subsequently you never saw that individual again,

Training was all in-house, basic and hurried. Following this we were sent out into the field really quickly. On site, we'd often encounter frustrated customers who'd use our visits as an opportunity to vent their concerns because when they tried to contact the support teams directly they were being ignored.

They failed to file my paperwork properly also once I had left, resulting in lots of to-ing and fro-ing with HMRC after I'd quit. HR is an absolute joke, and no one cares about your well being. Contrary to some of the "authentic" five-star reviews on here suggesting that colleagues well being is a) on themselves and b) the responsibility of everyone, fundamentally it's down to lines of management and HR. There is no one there to help you out, and everyone is out for themselves because of the toxic culture that has built up.

Advice to Management

Change your management team. Seriously.

"Could be a nice place to work but ....."

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Most staff seemed to be well paid for the work they did
    Nice HQ
    Staff perks like free haircuts, free bar tab, pool table etc.

Cons

The CEO and some of the directors are outright bullies - they regularly swore at & belittled staff. TPP employs a lot of graduates fresh out of University, pays them above the odds but then treats them like dirt. Anyone who tries to stand up to the bullying/harassment is unceremoniously fired, often in front of their team! They had a 'rule' that if you were late, for whatever reason, you had to stand in front of the whole office and shout 'I'm sorry for being late!'. Like being back at school. HR was non-existent. People seemed to get fired on a whim, usually just before they had completed their first year so they couldn't claim unfair dismissal. There is a reason why there are a lot of bad reviews about TPP, their claim to be a great place to work is their polished PR machine doing it's bit. Have a look at their website, the fact that they are permanently recruiting should tell you something.

"Great company and Pay"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

Everything - great environment

Cons

Nothing whatsoever- it’s great

7. "Good place to work"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

really great people at company

Cons

micromanagement is a big issue

"Nearly 2 years in and I still love it"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Horsforth, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people
    I know it’s a cliché, but I’ve made some of my closest friends here, and that’s because TPP is full of friendly, enthusiastic and caring people. On top of that, everyone is disarmingly honest. It’s really refreshing to work in an environment where you can be open about your mistakes and about the things you don’t know.

Flat hierarchy
    People always sound shocked when I say that I don’t have a boss, and have never had one for all of my time here, but I can’t really imagine another way to work. We believe that the newest people have just as valid an opinion as those who have been here for years, and that means you have the power to change things you don’t like. That’s not to say there isn’t a career progression – you just take on more responsibility as you become more experienced, and your pay increases steadily every year.

Interesting and rewarding work
    As a programmer, I spend my day solving problems with other people, and that’s probably the simplest way to describe the job. The nature of what we do makes the work varied and interesting. I like to think that if you are doing something over and over again, you’re probably doing it wrong. Perhaps even more importantly, the work we’re doing here is meaningful because it’s providing better healthcare to millions of people. That’s why everyone here cares so much about what we’re doing.

Good work/life balance
    I finish working at 5:15pm every day except for Fridays when I finish at 4pm. My very first day here really stuck with me: at the end of the day all of the staff around me stopped working and then wandered around the desks to check that everyone else was okay. This isn’t some hyper-demanding, soul-destroying city-job slog – you can work at TPP and still have hobbies in the evening.

The perks
    I can’t list all of them here, but here are some of my favourites:
    Board Games club – we get money to spend on board games and free food and drink on Wednesday evenings.
    Sailing – every year we go sailing for a week somewhere sunny. All on the company dime!
    Birthday meal – You get £200 to spend on a meal for your birthday.

Cons

Because the work involves medical data, we occasionally have to come in to work at anti-social hours. It makes sense, and you get time in lieu when it happens, but it’s hard to find that comforting at 3 in the morning!

Advice to Management

None

"TPP Software Developer Job Review"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Horsforth, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main pro for me would be the helpfulness of the staff. I started as a new coder with no coding experience, but at any point anyone will drop what they're doing to give me a hand. This definitely helps with learning, and also means you're never left isolated.

Also, the fact that you immediately contribute is very gratifying. Although it can be a bit daunting to be thrown in at the deep end, the fact that the very first piece of work you do will make a difference to healthcare is very rewarding. As mentioned above, everyone is available to help you with your first tasks, and you'll find yourself quickly become more and more familiar with coding.

Cons

View it as a con or not, but everyone is expected to volunteer out of hours when work needs to be done. This doesn't mean everyone works every time, but more that everyone does their fair share. Since there are plenty of coders this should happen fairly infrequently for most people, and we naturally try and keep this to a minimum. Anything that causes us to come in after work is analysed the following day to see what we can do to avoid the same thing happening again. It is also worth pointing out that coders get time spent working late back, as no one can be expected to work too many hours.

"Friendly colleagues give TPP a really great work atmosphere"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Horsforth, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working full time at TPP as a software developer for about two months. Whilst I'm still fairly new, it's been a great experience so far.

- The biggest pro so far has been the people. Everyone I've worked with has made a real effort to make me feel welcome and make sure I understand how to do whatever work I'm set. They're always happy to drop what they're doing to lend a hand.

- The work itself is really easy to be motivated by. Working on software that will be used by people in the healthcare industry to help them give the best care to patients is really rewarding.

- Free drinks at the pub every Friday is an awesome bonus! Really nice way to kick back

Cons

It's really hard work. There's been so much to learn in my first couple of months that it can start to feel overwhelming at times. It does get easier, but the first few weeks are undeniably tough.

Also, we do sometimes have to come in outside of the normal 8:30-17:15 hours- it's not often but it's not fun.