TPP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
TPP CEO Frank Hester
Frank Hester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you are not afraid of hard work and would like a rewarding career where you can make a difference, you need to give TPP a go (in 8 reviews)

• The flat hierarchy means you have a say in what you work on (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is pretty much non existent (in 8 reviews)

• Think a company like TPP would force its employees to give full marks on the Best Companies survey (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Horsforth, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at TPP for one a half years, and I"m having a really good time. I'll list the benefits properly below, but the main one for me is the people. It's inspiring to work in a company full of such kind and caring people who genuinely care about what they do. The people who I work with are not just my colleagues - they are my friends, and that's a really great position to be in.
    With my sentimental musings out of the way, here are some other things to consider:
    - Flat hierarchy: You're opinion is taken seriously as soon as you start. I feel able to challenge the most experienced and "senior" employees if I disagree. We're much more concerned with getting to the right answer as a group then being right individually.
    - Great learning environment: I knew nothing about programming when I started but I'm amazed at how far I've come in this short time. The reason new recruits learn so quickly is because help is so readily available when you're struggling.
    - No bureaucracy: TPP's working style has become refined over the years so that you're never having to battle corporate structure. I barely have to use email. I never struggle with 'middle management issues'. I always know why I'm doing the work I'm doing.
    - Perks: Annual sailing trip, BUPA health insurance, incredible starting salary, pub fridays, board games night, parties, yoga, free music lessons, free sandwiches on Fridays, barely any dress code.
    - Work/life balance: We're as strict as we can be about hours. We all make sure to leave at 5:15pm on the dot at the end of the day. Very occasionally we can't because things, but then lots of people stay to get the problem solved quickly. In my previous job people would stay in the office until 9-10pm at night just because they felt they had to! We have a much more reasonable and pragmatic approach.
    - You get to make a difference: We're improving healthcare around the world. Finding a job as enjoyable as this one where you also get to be proud of the work you do is a rare thing indeed, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Cons

Sometimes you have to come in out of hours. It's rare, but when it does happen it can be quite unpleasant.

In frantic or stressful situations tempers can run high. We can get understandably stressed when things go wrong with a live technological solution that supports thousands of GP practices and hospitals around the world.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at TPP part-time

Pros

Easy and Random, not very professional.

Cons

Random, they didn't arrange a time with you.

"Have a think why there might have been a sudden surge in positive reviews..."

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

High pay straight out of uni
    Free drinks on a Friday night
    Free sailing trip once a year
    Some people love it
    Always stuff to do

Cons

Flat-hierarchy in name only
    Swearing in meetings is OK
    Use almost no modern software
    Never heard of user centred design
    Oppressive culture
    Can be fired without notice or reason
    Tribal culture (distinctly different to working in Agile tribes!)
    ALL software developers are on call ALL of the time - makes no sense
    Hate change in the workplace - protect their culture above all else
    Have a superiority complex

Advice to Management

Be open
    Be honest
    Stop being draconian
    Workload should be based on the people you have, no forcing your people to deal with the workload

"Interesting and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Horsforth, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- We work on a product that makes a real difference to people.

- My co-workers are some of the most intelligent people I know.

- You genuinely can change anything you don't agree with. You don't have to just accept working practices which you think are poor. You are encouraged to take your concerns directly to the CEO.

- Everyone looks out for each other. We're all focussed on fixing things quickly and being finished on time. If one person has a problem which means staying late, then everyone stays late to fix it faster.

- During crunch times when it's sometimes necessary to work evenings and or weekends to meet a deadline, we constantly talk about whether we really need to work extra hours. No one accepts it as the norm.

- You get to work on everything. That might be database design, architecture, front end UI stuff, in house tools, server performance, whatever! You're not pigeonholed as a certain type of developer.

Cons

- The high turnover is a concern and it upsets me that in other reviews people feel that the support isn't there. My experience is that the support is there if you ask for it. I have personally been involved in helping a number of my colleagues​ get through stressful situations. The most important thing is that you talk about your problems, whether they be with workload, work life balance or whatever.

- Some days it does feel like I spend all day getting pulled from one problem to the next. This keeps the job interesting and varied, but if you're looking for a programming job where you sit with your headphones on churning out code for the single task you've been assigned, you won't find that here.

Advice to Management

Although there's no management as such, I think everyone should make efforts to proactively look after their colleagues. It's​ difficult to spot when someone is suffering in silence, but I think we should all try and spot when this is happening to address the high staff turnover rate.

"Best career choice I made"

Current Employee - Deployment Specialist
    Current Employee - Deployment Specialist

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get to come to work everyday knowing that each day will be different from yesterday. The variety and fast pace of the company means you could be doing work for a UK GP practice one day and an international project in China or the Middle East the next. It's an exciting place to be and it's been that way since I started. Time really does fly and I genuinely enjoy what I do. You learn so much and even people who have been here for ten years are still learning things. The job is constantly changing which keeps it fresh and interesting.

As well as the work, you are looked after! All my friends can't believe how good my job is and are always telling me how lucky i am, especially when I'm taking them out for free for my birthday meal with £200 to spend thanks to TPP. You get pay reviews every year and if you work hard your salary will reflect that year on year. The holiday entitlement is great, plus two weeks additional off at Christmas and all bank holidays. I love that there is a living boundary for everyone to live near the office as it means I'm never stuck in rush hour traffic and it only takes me ten minutes to get to work (it's nice working close enough to go home for lunch).

Cons

It can be stressful, as any job can, and it's not for everyone. We have a very open, direct and honest way of working and not everyone enjoys that. It's busy, you are expected to work hard and you can't just sit at your desk and get your own work done, as there is always something that comes up that you might need to help with or work on instead as it's urgent and some people struggle with that.

Advice to Management

As we work on a flat hierarchy we don't have 'management'. What I would say is for everyone to keep working together, helping each other and don't always leave it to the same people all the time to pick things up and notice things. We all need to be empowered and take responsibility for our work.

"A jump start to a career in software development"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've just left TPP after almost 7 years as a software developer. Leaving was a hard decision to make. These pros and cons are going to be somewhat developer-centric as I've not worked in other teams (apart from a brief term with the fab helpdesk).

Reasons to work at TPP:

You get to work on a product that makes a positive impact on the world.

You'll find brilliant people across all parts of the company. Whether it be a friendly person on the helpdesk, a helpful member of the tech team, or senior management (the MD somehow manages to find time in their day to catch up with people they've not spoken to for a while to simply see how they're doing), you're bound to find plenty of people you're glad to be working with.

There are impressive opportunities to learn for an information hungry graduate. I learnt more in the first year with TPP than I learnt in the previous few years at University. The work is varied and you'll be exposed to a variety of software domains across the stack.

The benefits are top tier, with pay that went up considerably every year (and sometimes several times in a year).

You'll get lovely surprises such as ice creams on warm days (and sometimes you might even just get told to finish early because it's such a nice day outside)!

The flat hierarchy means you have a say in what you work on. If you disagree with something then you don't just have to go along with it because that's what your manager wants (unless that person is the owner in which case it is his company at the end of the day, but you can still have the conversation). It also means you pick up lots of useful soft skills as you get more involved in managing people and the projects you work on.

If you're struggling for any reason then there are lots of competent people that can help. I've seen an incredible amount of time and effort go into helping people enjoy their role. I've seen first hand how much care goes into avoiding losing staff.

Even if you don't end up having a long career at TPP you're bound to learn a lot of valuable skills from working there.

Cons

Reasons not to work at TPP:

Your role as a developer can gradually involve less and less development. This is the negative part of having a flat hierarchy where your role can lose clarity as you need to spend more time thinking about the management of a project. I've heard this frustration from other senior members of staff too because expectations aren't always clear when the role becomes somewhat undefined. I would not let this put anyone off joining TPP because this is something that can only really kick in after you've been there a while.

You have to be able to work succesfully in a high stress environment. Before working at TPP I worked in a small company with almost zero stress (and hence it could be very boring). TPP is definitely not stress free, you'll often be working under pressured time constraints and it's important you can handle that. Being able to speak to other people is key to handling the pressure.

When deadlines loom for a big project you may need to work weekends unexpectedly. Some years it doesn't happen, other years it can have a non-trivial impact. Usually people only come in if they're available to do so (the company avoids cancelling pre-made social arrangements where possible).

Previously we had a course allowance which we could direct towards learning something of our own choosing and this has been superseded by a sailing trip each year (effectively a free holiday). The course allowance was my favourite perk as it meant we had the opportunity to learn from a source external to TPP (even if a lot of the time it was just confirmation that we were doing the right thing in-house already).

Ultimately I decided to leave TPP, not because of any particular flaw with the company, but rather because I wanted the challenge of going to a new company and the opportunities for learning it brings. If you're looking for somewhere you will learn a lot of valuable skills and don't mind working hard in return then this is a company I'd recommend.

Advice to Management

The flat hierarchy is brilliant but at the same time can become frustrating when you just want to get some development done. Teams keep trying to overcome this issue by coming up with new processes for their team (board monitors etc, many of which don’t work) but then the process starts again as projects change. This obviously wastes time. Get this right and people can spend their time developing more efficiently without additional burdens in the back of their mind.

The sailing is amazing but the course allowance had its own benefits too. Support employee development by giving them time to go on a course.

Keep finding the time to catch up with employees, people appreciate it.

"Varied work with great benefits"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Horsforth, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Right from the start you'll be working on interesting and varied tasks, with plenty of help and support from co-workers. You are encouraged to jump right in and ask for help as and when you need it - when you first start this will be almost constantly, but there will always be someone nearby who will be happy to help you. The flat hierarchy makes everyone approachable and it's impressed upon you right from the start that your opinion is as valid as anyone else's and that any processes or systems are open to be re-evaluated, questioned and improved at any time.

The work is enjoyable and interesting, with the right level of challenge and it's a nice feeling that the work you're doing is genuinely helping to improve patient care. The salary and benefits are good and everyone you'll work with is friendly, intelligent and helpful. I've really enjoyed the nearly 2 years I've worked at TPP so far and I look forward to staying for many more - I couldn't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

You will occasionally have to work out-of-hours or travel internationally, often at short notice, although the remuneration (in the form of time in lieu, extra holiday days, and expenses) is generally very generous.

If you are looking for a job to teach you the latest buzzword technologies or to use as a stepping-stone to continue your career elsewhere, then you'll be disappointed. This isn't a con for me, but a surprising number of people have mentioned it in other reviews, so it's worth reiterating here.

Some aspects of the 'company culture' like walking into meeting rooms without knocking, shouting up to a room of people or bringing up mistakes (and, importantly, their morals - it's certainly not intended as a punishment or public shaming, despite what other reviews might claim) in morning meetings can take a little while to get used to. After a few weeks you come to realise the benefits and it becomes second nature, but it's clear from other reviews that some people have misunderstood some of these or found the culture shock coming from previous jobs to be too much and it's adversely affected their impression of the company. This isn't really a 'con' as such, but it's worth mentioning as some of the 1 star reviews on this site show that this sort of thing clearly isn't for everyone. I'd definitely urge anyone reading this to not be put off by the negative spin other reviews have put on some of these practices.

Advice to Management

Not a lot to say here - the only real 'management' in the traditional sense is the CEO. Overall the company seems to be doing well and making good decisions, the only real improvement I can think of would be slightly more regular overviews of the company's current priorities, short-term plans and longer-term future goals.

"The job I never knew I wanted...."

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Throughout my school years, I never really knew what I wanted as a career. I certainly never said the words 'when I grow up, I want to work for a clinical software company'! However I can now say with absolute certainty that when I graduated university, and what felt like a thousand different career choices were staring me down, applying for a position at TPP was the best decision I could have made.
     I get up each morning knowing that the work I do that day will be valued.
    These days, it feels like a sense of job satisfaction is something that is viewed as less important than the number of zeros on your paycheck. Finding a job that provides a high level of one, often requires sacrifice of the other. I can proudly say that TPP is one of those rare gems that has always provided both, and both have increased greatly with each year that pass. If that wasn't enough, we also have some of the best perks going (as mentioned by most of the other reviews)

Cons

The early days (first 6 months) will probably be tough due to a steep learning curve. Training is 'on the job' which is great for those who enjoy getting stuck straight in to all the interesting work, but may be a bit of a shock for those who are used to a slower introduction to a role.
    Some days can feel overwhelming. These days normally occur as a large project is coming to its finale. In times like this it is amazing to see the whole company come together to help out, but tensions can be understandably high as staff are anxious to see their hard work come to fruition.

Advice to Management

I have great respect for the 'out of the box' way that TPP structures itself, however I really feel we need a dedicated HR team. Payroll, personnel and recruitment are all managed by staff members whose main role is outside of HR. Even though all these colleagues but their best efforts into these secondary HR areas, in reality they are unable to dedicate their full attention to them without having to neglect their primary role. With the pace that we are expanding, areas such as recruitment are becoming more and more demanding and I believe we would benefit greatly from a small team dedicated soley this purpose to ensure it is managed as effectively as possible.

10. "Really great people to work with."

Current Employee - Clinical Director in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Clinical Director in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for and an excellent group of people to be working alongside.
    So many of my colleagues are talented and hard-working and really committed to the projects we are working on. This inspires me and enthuses me in my work.
    The work we are doing is definitely making a difference to improve the delivery of healthcare services and there is real potential for wider uptake of the products we support.
    The working environment and benefits are excellent. I feel well supported and respected in my role.

Cons

It seems futile to try and dream up some downsides because overall I feel really positive about working at TPP but I suppose some people might not want to live so close to the Leeds HQ and others might not welcome the level of commitment required which can be unpredictable at times.
    I enjoy travelling overseas to learn how healthcare is delivered in other countries but some people might find travelling disruptive.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what you are doing. Keep listening to all the staff and support them as they adjust to the agile way of working.

11. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve been a Software Developer at TPP for a good few years. I would have not stayed with one company for so long if it wasn’t such a great place to work.
    I’m constantly challenged and never bored. I love the variety of work, and the people you work with are all incredibly helpful. It is great to work with such bright, motivated people. It is nice to know that whenever you get stuck, you can get help from people around you.

You are able to take on responsibility from day one, and it is great to see new coders starting and immediately contributing.

Aside from the work, the pay and perks are fantastic. Massages, yoga, football, guitar lessons, free pub tab, annual sailing trip, the list goes on!

We are expected to work hard, but we are definitely rewarded for it.

Although we sometimes have to come in out of hours for emergencies, we generally all leave the office at 5:15pm every day, and 4pm on Fridays. When I compare this to some friends who regularly work until 7pm and later, I feel very lucky.

Cons

Having to come in out of normal working hours for emergencies can be annoying, but it is not frequent and the pay/perks more than make up for it.