TPP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
TPP CEO Frank Hester
Frank Hester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Be able to make a difference from day one - the best idea is always the one taken forward, not the idea from the person who has worked here longest" (in 9 reviews)

• "The flat hierarchy means you have a say in what you work on" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "flat hierarchy’ they preach about is a joke" (in 16 reviews)

• "It can be stressful at times but support is always on hand" (in 8 reviews)

"I enjoy my job - it’s very challenging and rewarding."

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Firstly, have I been forced to write this? Absolutely not. I’m writing this because I enjoy my job, and feel that my experience should be shared to counterbalance the somewhat negative reviews on here. Those reviews don’t reflect the company that I enjoy working for.

You work with very bright people, all working on projects that genuinely make a positive impact to the world we live in. It sounds cheesy, but it’s so true.

You are challenged. This can sound like a negative, but it’s not. It makes the work so much more worthwhile - you get so much more satisfaction out of solving a difficult problem than an easy one.

You get to travel. That’s a massive plus for me, I enjoy visiting new countries and embracing different cultures. And when we are abroad we are very well looked after - we are actively encouraged to go to new cities, or do something cultural, on spare weekends. The company will pay for this, which is amazing. I appreciate, however, that travelling is not for everyone.

I work very, very, very little overtime. We are all but thrown out of the office at 5:15 - there is no long hours culture. Work stays at work, and I get to enjoy my evenings and weekends.

Cons

The nature of the sector we are in means that there is some pressure - it’s healthcare and people’s lives we’re dealing with. But everyone is pulling in the same direction, and any problem is never just ‘your’ problem - it’s everyone’s. And everyone will help you.

"Interesting and challenging"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

The work is interesting and challenging which prevents the job from ever being boring! There is always something to do and you’re never watching the clock.

The staff are friendly and helpful. I’ve always found that Personnel and the Directors are there to talk / listen if you have a problem and need some help / advice.

I’ve learnt a lot of things from the people around me at TPP and continue to learn every day.

Cons

It can get busy and stressful at times but I wouldn’t necessarily call that a con. I would rather be busy than bored.

"Why would you want to work anywhere else?"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Birmingham, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for TPP is exciting. From the very start of my career I was given lots of responsibility and felt part of a community. My colleagues are like a second family to me. We have shared so many great experiences in the UK and across the globe. We are always contacting each other for advice and we want each other to succeed in any situation.
    I enjoy the opportunity to travelling and meet new people. The product SystmOne has over 20 modules in a range of healthcare settings. This could mean working in prisons, mental health units, emergency departments and hospitals just to name a few. The variation in work delivering training courses, demonstrations, representing the company at events in the UK and overseas means I’m never bored. I often login to the test environments to make sure I’m knowledgeable and confident in the product.
    I feel like I have everything and more in my career at TPP and I am very grateful for all the opportunities the company has offered me. The company has grown and changed so much in the last 10 years. I am excited about the future and can’t wait to see what the next 5 years will be like.
    The parties, sailing trips and Christmas holidays are also something special at TPP.

Cons

You can spend a lot of time revising and prepping for upcoming work. This might not be for everyone but I personally enjoy the challenge and get a buzz after completing a difficult presentation and knowing that I was knowledgeable in the subject.

"No longer for me"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

- Your co-workers are really intelligent.
    - The pay and benefits are great.
    - It's a good way into software development if you're really clever but have no experience.

Cons

I left out of choice, rather than being fired. Some of my reasons for leaving are:

- The conduct of the CEO is at times fundamentally unacceptable, and made employees uncomfortable.
    - The technology is majorly outdated (Java 6, CVS). I started to worry about how employable I would be elsewhere.
    - No automated testing. Manual testing is tedious, time consuming and error prone. No interest in addressing this.
    - Key areas of the code base are a disaster waiting to happen. Fixing these areas was never prioritised.
    - Projects were disorganised and deadlines were decided before we even knew what was supposed to be delivered.
    - Micromanagement. Had to record time tasks would take on a whiteboard, inform senior management of individual tasks growing etc.
    - No flexitime or home working. No interest in introducing these things.
    - Potential for international travel didn't fit with my personal life.
    - I stopped learning new technical skills. Spent all my time fighting fires.
    - No experienced hires, only fresh graduates, resulting in no new ideas for how things should be done.
    - Senior coders spend little time writing code as they end up performing project manager/architect/tech lead type roles.
    - Training allowance replaced with an annual sailing trip, which while fun meant that no formal training was offered.

Advice to Management

I felt compelled to write this review to redress the balance after the recent influx of 5 star reviews. A large number of experienced developers left in the last 12 months I was there, and more besides are unhappy. Money isn't everything - people are prepared to be paid less if they feel valued, respected and properly supported.

"Great opportunities, Great people, Great place to work!"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

Having other prior work experience, working for TPP is the most rewarding, exciting, and refreshing job I have had. I feel proud to work for a leader in healthcare software, for a company that has great ambitions, and I work with some of the brightest minds in the country.
    I have never heard of a company that gives it's employees so many perks and benefits, and these just show how appreciated you are as an employee.

Cons

Some people might find the travelling difficult as its not for everyone, but if you want to experience some amazing countries, working on projects that are changing healthcare across the world, then my advice; embrace it.

"Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Deployment Specialist in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Deployment Specialist in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are so many exciting things to get involved in. If you like a job where you are constantly learning or trying new things then this is the career for you.

One day you could be deploying the system in China or the Middle East, the next, you could be working with GPs to deploy our system in the UK.

There is a great variety of work and the company really rewards you well for your hard work!

Cons

It can get a little stressful at times with deadlines fast approaching.

"Exciting And Enjoyable"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming from university and other jobs and placements that had been dull I was concerned that working life was going to be dull but I can honestly say that I have never been bored at TPP. There's always exciting projects in development and always more to learn.

My colleagues are genuinely lovely, bright and like minded people which creates a very friendly working environment, completely free from office politics.

The work we do has a real impact on the healthcare delivered to patients and it's extremely rewarding to visit customers and see the difference we can make, whether in the UK or abroad.

I think that I'd struggle to find a company anywhere else with such lovely employees and that keeps me so well interested and challenged. I look forward to coming to work each morning.

Cons

The working day is extremely busy and we can start to feel that we have a lot on and this can be a bit stressful. That said, we're good at watching out for each other and sharing work which really does help.

Some people have mentioned coming in to work out of hours - a price that we pay for having a system that is needed all hours of the day and night. Yes, we'd rather not have to, but we do get time back for out of hours work and there's something really satisfying about working in the night to fix a real problem.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, let's try to keep the friendly culture that we have. It really makes the company.

"Do Something Useful"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

I never thought I wanted to work an office job - I'm not a fan of most corporate cultures. I also wanted to work on something big, and worthwhile, without really having any idea what that was. TPP has brought together a lot of like-minded people who are bright, and driven, and want to use their abilities to make a difference, and they've set up a culture that does away with office politics, pointless, endless meetings, and stultifying middle management just out for themselves. Having a shared goal that means something, a supportive team, and the ability to change things you don't like makes for a good working environment.

I'm proud of what I've done here, and I've enjoyed doing it. My work has directly improved the way healthcare is delivered in a bunch of different settings and locations and that feels pretty good.

Cons

We haven't landed a contract in the Caribbean yet. Sort it out.

"A rewarding place to work"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

If you're wanting a genuinely rewarding place to work, TPP is it.

The company values and ethos are really positive and working to improve healthcare at home and abroad gives you a great feeling.

On a less altruistic note, the perks and benefits are great too - not to mention the salary.

Cons

You're expected to work hard and take on a lot of responsibility from day one. It can be quite daunting but it's also good as you become invested in the company, its products and the vision and you get to learn a lot in a short space of time too!

"A great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, working with extremely bright people on enjoyable varied work that provides a genuine benefit to patient care in the UK and abroad.

Everyone is friendly and helpful and no matter how long you've worked here you can always get help if you need it or volunteer opinions that will be listened to and respected.

Cons

Occasional out-of-hours work is necessary due to the nature of the product (but we generally do a good job of learning from these events and prioritising work to prevent reoccurrence).

International travel can often be very last-minute (although we are getting better on this front and the benefits/expenses/remuneration for international travel are extremely generous).

Advice to Management

Relaxing restrictions on recreational programming and open-source development outside of work would help your employees to learn skills that may prove useful in the workplace and might help alleviate some of the concerns of leavers who want more transferable skills or to "try something different".