TPP Reviews

Updated 26 Jun 2020

4.1
TPP CEO  Frank Hester
Frank Hester
Pros
  • "I get 30 days of holiday a year plus 2 weeks off at Christmas and an annual (all expenses paid) sailing trip for a week(in 15 reviews)

• "There is a genuinely flat hierarchy, although more experienced people's opinions tend to be more respected than others(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you've read other review I'm sure you've heard it's a flat hierarchy - certainly ambitious but obviously difficult to implement(in 17 reviews)

• "No one really has a good grasp on projects as a whole, everything is rushed short-term jerk reactions to individual issues(in 12 reviews)

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Deployment Specialist

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

I love my job! Everyday is different You never get bored You really are making a difference to health care Work with very intelligent people Doesn’t feel like a job Get to leave on time every day Get to travel round the UK and abroad Great salary and holiday, plus a ski trip or sailing each year! Great support from my colleagues in my team and the Directors. Always have someone to talk to

Cons

It can be stressful So much to do, so little time. I do think about work at home, I find it hard to switch off

"Proud to work for TPP"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

You learn so much here - think I learned more in my first few weeks than the whole time I was at my previous company. Years later, I'm still learning. Love the people I work with - lots of bright, enthusiastic people who want to make a difference. Young company - easy to make friends. V sociable. Surrounded by people who want to help. Love working on healthcare technology - knowing that your project can actually make clinicians jobs easier and can save lives is amazing. Leeds is fab. Great city - loads to do. Love the countryside. Perks are amazing - holiday allowance is superb, pay is really good, birthday meal is a treat, get to travel the world, fab parties. Get out of work on time 99% of the time!

Cons

Can be stressful. Can end up thinking about work at home.

"The future is bright!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working for TPP is extremely rewarding, both financially and emotionally! You get so much job satisfaction from solving real life problems. It’s always really nice to get praise but it seems even more special from front-line NHS workers! What’s also good, and surprising in comparison to other companies, is that everyone working at TPP makes a real difference. We’re all empowered to put forward ideas, attend important meetings and, if necessary, raise any concerns. It’s easy to be empowered as we’re all listened to and encouraged. It’s true that TPP staff work incredibly hard due to their shared passion and determination and it’s also true that because of this we get very well rewarded! Perks have even included sailing and skiing courses abroad! What’s more is that the future is really exciting as technology is being recognised for the vital role it can play in health and social care and I’m reassured that working for a company with over 20 years’ experience and who have been at the forefront of innovation is the best place to be!

Cons

It can be frustrating working with other more bureaucratic organisations in the industry as they can slow you down!

"Great company to work for with lots of variety"

Current Employee - Deployment Specialist

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

I think it is such a rewarding place to work with so much variety. I am never bored in my job and always have lots of different things to work on. I love the fact that the days go so quickly. You get to work with really passionate people that care about their work and the company. I also like the fact that you are given responsibility early on at the company, you don't have to be here several years before working on an important project. If there is something that you particularly want to work on then you can always let someone know and the chances are, you will get to work on it.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be stressful and it's hard to switch off at home.

5. COVID-19

"Small Company At Its Best"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing is the lack of bureaucracy. Small teams organise themselves. Decisions are made quickly and easily. If you want to go run past something past the CEO, go run it past him. The company is truly agile. When COVID-19 hit we re-prioritised instantly and had changes rolled out to users within days. This also means there are no boring roles. You might be doing bug fixes for a couple of days, but you'll be back to something exciting by the end of the week. As others have said it's nice to be working on something like fulfilling like healthcare, rather than something like betting or finance. 28 days of holiday and a week of skiing is pretty nice too! Agile Can talk to the CEO Real code

Cons

If you are looking for a structured grad scheme with a clearly defined list of training courses and achievements to tick off this isn't it. Learning is on the job, which isn't for everyone. Feedback is very direct, which takes some getting used to. There aren't enough coders for all the work we want to do. It feels awful having to drop things for customers because something else has come up. Writing a bug that negatively affects doctors or patients feels terrible, even though everyone rallies round to help out.

"TPP review"

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work TPP does and the staff are what makes TPP so great. Not only is the work interesting and varied but you also have the satisfaction of knowing that what you do really makes a difference. Having such great colleagues makes the work even more enjoyable. There’s always someone able and willing to help if you need it.

Cons

The main con is simply that the company needs more staff to be able to manage the workload and to be able to take on even more projects.

7. COVID-19

"Passionate About Healthcare - Making a Difference"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

As a software provider to the NHS, and now to healthcare systems around the world, TPP has always been passionate about healthcare. This has never been more obvious than now, during the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic. TPP is doing everything it can to support the NHS in what is one of its most challenging times. The work that we are doing across the company is genuinely mind-blowing - in terms of the volume of work, what that work consists of and the impact that it's having! The innovation that is coming out the company and the overwhelming amount of hard work, time and effort that's being put in by TPP's staff is genuinely uplifting during what is such a difficult time for everyone. Hearing all of the glowing feedback from the NHS and from patients directly about the real, positive impact that TPP is making actually makes me quite emotional and I've never been more proud to work for the company. This is even more impressive given the size of the company. I'd genuinely recommend working at TPP to anyone who's looking for a truly rewarding job where you feel like you're making a real difference.

Cons

The normal negatives that you'd have with any job... Monday mornings can be difficult to get out of bed! But this isn't any old job - once you're at work, you really get engrossed, you have fun, and the time flies!

Continue reading

"A toxic company that destroyed my physical and mental health"

1.0
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money and benefits were okay, but absolutely not worth the working conditions.

Cons

I want to be clear to anybody who is reading this - I'm not writing this review out of spite or because I have a chip on my shoulder and looking to vent. I'm well past that at this point - I left the company years ago now and have moved on to doing work I love. I'm writing this because I genuinely don't want anybody to have to go through the stress and anguish that I did because it took a lot out of me and took me a long time to recover from. I worked at this company for several years, and looking back on it, I cannot believe I stayed there as long as I did. By the time I finally left, my physical and mental health were a total wreck and it took about two years of medication and dedicated effort to fully recover. The culture in this company is absolutely toxic and it all stems from the CEO, who is not a man who is going to change his behaviour or that of the company in this lifetime. TPP has no respect for your personal time or abilities as an individual. They employ people with no qualifications and then expect them to pick up and run with any task despite having no training. I witnessed people suddenly being handed entire projects to manage at a moment's notice, being asked to design major UI elements with no prior experience, or put together technical documentation for parts of the system they had no familiarity with. Employees are expected to be on call 24/7 and come into the office for any reason - holidays and visiting family or friends are no excuse and will get you berated because 'this is what you agreed to do'. If anybody asks for a 'volunteer' to do weekend or evening work, you MUST 'volunteer' immediately or face questioning as to why not. No excuse is good enough - it's what's expected and you don't get a choice. Push back and they'll fire you (which you may find is a blessing in disguise). The company preaches a 'flat hierarchy', but the reality is that it's run by the people who are most 'Phoenix' (yes, they really use that term). What this means is that it's the people who are most at home with pressuring, bullying and confronting others who get to call the shots. Whenever somebody quits or is fired, people just say they 'weren't Phoenix enough' and tell everybody that they'll be fine if they just do what's expected of them. Once you're back on the outside, you see this behaviour for what it is - a cult, plain and simple. When you're inside, you're made to think it's normal to be blunt, confrontational, aggressive and to shame others publicly for making a mis-step. When something unforseen occurs, you will be expected to 'own up' to the mistake and 'admit' that it's something you should have anticipated. It's a cardinal sin to dare suggest something isn't your fault. TPP like to tell you that you will be 'empowered' when working for them, which is their way of saying they will throw you into the deep end with no training. How 'empowered' do you think you would feel if you were required to have every email checked by somebody senior before you were given approval to send it? How would you feel if you were told to delete sentences like 'Hope you're enjoying the weather' when emailing stakeholders because 'it's unnecessary and waffling'. 'Empowerment' for TPP is becoming an emotionless automaton who is loyal to the company. Speaking of 'empowerment', you WILL be micromanaged. At any time, somebody can come to your desk and fire off the following questions: - What are you doing right now? - How long will it take you? - What will you do after that? - How long will that take? - What will you do if it takes longer? - Who will you tell if it overruns? You will need to answer every question without hesitation. That's what 'Phoenixed' people do. You can also fully expect that somebody else will then come along and demand something completely different gets done and berate you if you try to suggest that you're too busy. You're 'empowered', which means you can't say that 'somebody asked me to do this' - you need to ~believe~ that it's the best thing to do and argue the point. Except if you're junior to whoever is demanding the work gets done then you will be wrong. And once you start doing their task, you'll have the same conversation with the original person and get berated again for not doing their work. I can say with absolute certainty that the positive reviews on this site are a result of the company demanding that current employees create accounts and leave 5-star ratings. You can believe they've got a list and that they are expecting employees to confirm when they've posted a company-approved review. The same thing happened with the Times 'Top 100 Small Companies to Work For' awards, which is why TPP are now permanently banned from participating in that award. I honestly could go on. I could go on and on and on with a hundred examples of the awful behaviour and conditions that lie behind the facade of nice offices and an attractive benefits package. If money and benefits are literally your only motivator and you're willing to be a sociopathic, obedient drone then that is the only scenario where I could recommend this company. For anybody else, ask yourself why this company is paying in excess of £40k for people with zero experience and ALWAYS recruiting. The turnover is staggering and the vile culture is to blame.

Continue reading

"Fantastic place to work if you like being treated like a child."

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at TPP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is decent No experience necessary

Cons

You get treated like a child and shouted at in front of everyone. You get to shout “Sorry I’m late” to the entire office when arriving even a minute after 8:30am. No flexi-time so you get grilled when you have an appointment within work hours. No organised training, it’s a big mess. No time to fix a dated and buggy system, focus is on “trying” to get another country to buy the system, neglecting current users, especially in the UK. No time to perfect any code, pressured to roll out changes quickly tested and with minimum features Dated tech stack, still on Java 1.6 and no modern techs are allowed. No documentation, you’re expected to learn from others all the time, usually the people that know the feature have left long ago so you’re stuck. Bad employee retention rate, approx only 1 in 10 new recruits last more than 3 months (not an exaggeration). Developers are always on call, expected to rush in to the office whenever there is a problem (which is approx once a week). Everyone’s scared of the CEO so much as that no one can challenge him, not even directors, even when he blurts out the most absurd things. You get to send an email to everyone in the company whenever a bug has been found in your code, even if a senior member checked your code and said it was fine. There’s no HR department, just some people with other roles, that are afraid for their own job so don’t talk to you nicely when you have an issue, this defeats the purpose. They only accept new graduates because they want to “mould” your expectations of what a company is like. Anyone that has worked anywhere else will find their rules ridiculous. No working from home options, and they don’t want them even discussed or investigated, so you’re stuck with having to go into the office when a lot of what they do could be done remotely. Very dated software, customers are stuck with the system because it’s difficult to move off it, not because they like it. Looks like a college student made it in 1980. They have a backlog of over 2000 known bugs in the system (again, not an exaggeration) and more bugs are being written than being fixed. Bugs are simply being ignored unless they can cause patients harm. ...and I’m tired of writing cons. There are Soooooo many more. You’ll regret applying to this place within your first week of working here, like I did.

Continue reading

"Good money but a disorganised work place"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friday bar night, good colleagues.

Cons

Don't believe the hyped up video on Youtube. It is chaos in the office and a lot is expected of you.

Found 168 reviews