TeacherActive Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Rob Browett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would have no hesitation in recommending Teacher Active" (in 18 reviews)

• "I had a full-time, long term contract within an hour" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no Cons working for Teacher Active" (in 11 reviews)

• "There are no cons that I can think of" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TeacherActive is a rewarding and motivated company to work for.

Cons

It is especially good for very motivated individuals

Advice to Management

Keep on progressing

2. "disgraceful"

I worked at TeacherActive full-time

Pros

nothing was good at all

Cons

Got called into to sign forms and take in some documents, ID, DBS, certificates etc in January. I was told I would be getting a call updating me about the progress, but never did. I called and emailed and got no response. in the end i gave up as i was getting no where just put it down to them being yet another typical agency with the no replies.
    Months later I got a call from teacher active asking if I was interested in signing up with them, I explained what happened and they said the best thing to do is to come in again with all the documents. I was provided with no explanation as to why I was not contacted about the process or where the copies of my documents even ended up.

Advice to Management

Be more organised, do not lose important documents the workers take in to be photocopied as they hold personal details.

3. "If you are looking for a job in recruitment and have no career- it may work for you!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at TeacherActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Directors are supportive in helping you to be successful (for obvious reasons)
    Training in Birmingham is great and lovely to see a very busy office
    You receive a fruit budget for the week and money on a Friday to have a drink in the office
    Christmas party is great and all paid for but you have to give up your personal weekend. It can be a long time to spend with coworkers that you already work with for 5days.

Cons

I agree with a lot of these reviews about TeacherActive. I worked for them for 8months and what a nightmare!
    Please do not leave a career thinking that you are going to be successful with TeacherActive in less than one year. The basic salary is £18 -£19 a year but you work from 7-5:30 if not later! It is a great opportunity for anyone who has just left college and is looking to start a career in recruitment.
    During the interview they tell you that within one year you will be earning up to 36k- but also say every ones journey is different.
    The reason in saying this is due to the location of your office, how long it has been open, the desk you will be given, and the area you will be looking after.
    For me I believe the type of desk you get is the most important to how successful you will be.
    The commission structure is ok but not great considering the amount of money you earn for the company. Also you can only bill / earn commission during term time unless you run a SEND desk that has residential and work through the holidays.
    Personally I think the company is very supportive in the beginning, they want you to bill for your self and them.
    But if your not billing and paying for your wage then be prepared to be managed out!
    There is a lot of back stabbing and badmouthing in the company and this is something the management need to crack down on- however it doesn’t help when the management are the ones who are doing it! You can not be honest in this company or role as you are judged if they feel you do not have the company at your best interests. Basically you have to be a yes person and not outspoken!
    It is made clear of the people who the company care about and they are the top billers of the offices, anyone else they make you feel like you are at the bottom of the pecking order.
    During my time at TeacherActive I witnessed one person be sacked, blackmail from the company to keep a team member and a lot of unprofessionalism! Due to a lot of change in the office an area manager was brought in (finally, thankfully, some structure). It was often questioned as to why I had not hit 25 days or more and no one was able to give me a straight answer as to why. I listened to advice, I took it on board, I implemented it! So when the area manager came I really thought she would point something out that no one else had. However after a few weeks of her advising me and I had still not hit 25days it was made clear by her that I was getting managed out, and I was told I was looking for some hidden tips that were not there!
    I felt this company insulted my intelligence on many occasions. If you know your worth don’t bother with them! Also this job is not for an honest person. Be prepared to have to lie!

Advice to Management

Please consider your actions and how you make others in the office feel. Don’t insult people’s intelligence!

Also if u promote someone within the office give them a fair change to prove to you what they are capable of. Don’t have a more senior person in the office 5days a week acting as big brother- it’s insulting and not seen as a positive.

Please don’t lead people on during the interview stages especially if they are leaving a successful career and have responsibilities.

"Supports the "best", gets rid of those who need extra help"

I worked at TeacherActive full-time

Pros

I worked here for less than a year and by summer it was evident the company looks after those who will succeed. The training provided is excellent, and senior management are always at the end of the phone for advice - I cannot fault this or their commitment to the business. I really enjoyed the role, there was career progression available. You were in control to a degree.

Cons

My area manager was very young and inexperienced, they crossed boundaries and could switch from a manager to your friend and back again in seconds. There was no clear management structure in the office - the aspiring team leader chose their favourites again and encouraged the gossip culture in the office, to the point they were purposely exacerbating a rift between 2 colleagues despite being in a 1:1 meeting where this issue was highlighted a week prior. The very long hours and exceedingly hard work- I admire everyone with the will power to stick it out. It's a hard hard job, but eventually the hard work will pay off (1 year +), if you aren't fired beforehand.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the management structure, this ultimately caused me to leave. Managers, in my opinion, should be approachable and fun, but not inappropriate (play fights with colleagues in the office).

5. "Great Company!"

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time

Pros

Brilliant management , best company I have worked for!

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of

"Great Company, Great People and Great Management!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at TeacherActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Motivating atmosphere, amazing commission scheme with the ability to earn huge amounts of money, staff engagement is great with a team of management who are always present and ready to support with anything you need. Very social employees who are totally inclusive of everyone which is great when you are a new starter! Feeling of autonomy over your own desk without being micromanaged, really look to build and develop you as a professional. Don’t just look at those with experience, will take someone with the right attitude and develop you into a talented recruiter through their outstanding training.

Cons

Very long hours which can be super tiring.
    Need to be 100% committed as it doesn’t really offer a work life balance

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing!

7. "Your never work in a agency where you get treated like this...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

best environment in recruitment I have worked in . great management, great incentives and just a great company to work for.

Cons

none from my point of you

Advice to Management

dont change - as we expand stay the same.

8. "Fantastic Company"

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time

Pros

Wonderful office, great company, amazing directors

Cons

Nothing i would change about the company

9. "Great company!!"

Current Employee - Learning Assistant in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Learning Assistant in Bristol, England

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the first day i have been treated great , they took little time to solve everything related to the clarance process and since then I have not stopped working. The communication is very effective and the staff members are great.

Cons

I have nothing to complain about

10. "Good work"

I have been working at TeacherActive part-time

Pros

Good to work for when jobs are available

Cons

Took ages for me to actually start work