TeacherActive Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 February 2019

4.1
Rob Browett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would have no hesitation in recommending Teacher Active" (in 18 reviews)

• "Very impressed with the friendly and helpful staff at their Manchester branch" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "I cannot fault Teacher Active they are great" (in 12 reviews)

• "There are no cons that I can think of" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Teacher Active- Bristol"

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time

Pros

Consistent work
    Hard working and devoted staff
    Good communication with staff
    Flexible

Cons

None that come to mind!

Advice to Management

Thank you Charlotte for your fantastic work for me so far!

2. "Fair company"

I worked at TeacherActive full-time

Pros

Great training, very support manager

Cons

Work life balance, unable to take holidays in term time

3. "AWFULLLLL"

Pros

ZERO ZERO Zero zero zero

Cons

The specific internal recruiter I had dealt with was initially “nice” however this was soon exposed as a front , following interview fazes they were highly unprofessional and when finally getting back regarding positions/feedback ; abruptly said “ok bye bye bye” before words could even leave my mouth. I clearly dodged a bullet as it seems to be a reoccurring theme that staff are unhappy being employed by this firm due to Teacher Active being focused on monetary success for themselves as an oppose to being of aid to employees . AVOID.

Advice to Management

Pointless as they wouldn’t listen .

TeacherActive Response

5 Apr 2019 – Managing Director

Hi, thank you for your feedback

I'm sorry to hear that your interview experience at TeacherActive was not a positive one.

It is our normal practice to give constructive feedback following an... More

4. "Never out of work!"

Current Employee - Teacher in Shepton Mallet, England
    Current Employee - Teacher in Shepton Mallet, England

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff are friendly and helpful and are always positive.
    They work hard to make sure I have work everyday.
    They get to know you as a person. Charlotte, Kat and Jason obviously communicate well within the office and always have a moment to sort out any problems that might have occurred.
    I can not recommend this branch highly enough.

Cons

None that I can think of - all problems are always resolved and handled in a professional manner.

"Best agency ever"

Current Employee - SEN Teaching Assistant in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - SEN Teaching Assistant in Leeds, England

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Daily work
    friendly, considerate staff
    The agency called me up after every job to check on me and got me daily work. Even when I took jobs on with other agencies they called me up and checked on me when the agency I took the work on would not. Abbye and Neelam are lovely

Cons

none fantastic agency would not change a thing

Advice to Management

Lovely recruitment agents that actually care. They called me up and checked on me daily got me daily work. Your agents are absolute diamonds (Leeds agency)

"Don’t waste your time!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at TeacherActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working here!

Cons

Long Hours, Unprofessional, Underpaid, Unappreciated

Advice to Management

Give your staff the chance to succeed before kicking them out!

I wouldn’t waste your time working for TeacherActive... either as a consultant or as a teacher. Consultants are overworked & underpaid for the amount of hard work they put into their roles.
    They have their favourite teachers & ones they register just for statistical reasons. Seen an advert for a job in a local school? - it’s probably a fake ploy to get your into their office. Please, don’t waste your valuable time!

"Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at TeacherActive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TeacherActive is a rewarding and motivated company to work for.

Cons

It is especially good for very motivated individuals

Advice to Management

Keep on progressing

8. "Really Poor Communication from Managers for Teaching Assistant Post"

I have been working at TeacherActive part-time

Pros

Staff seem really nice in person, eager to get you working
    Paid within a week of working

Cons

-Staff do not reply to emails
    -Do not follow up information
    -Suggest Ideal jobs for you, tell you theres a delay in getting that specific post and ask you to work jobs you are not qualified to do in the meantime, and don't follow up the initial job
    -Constantly phone even though I ask to email (due to health)
    -Been with them two months and only worked one shift
    -Too many staff members contacting you via email for availability
    -They tell you they'll be in contact with you about a job and never are

9. "disgraceful"

I worked at TeacherActive full-time

Pros

nothing was good at all

Cons

Got called into to sign forms and take in some documents, ID, DBS, certificates etc in January. I was told I would be getting a call updating me about the progress, but never did. I called and emailed and got no response. in the end i gave up as i was getting no where just put it down to them being yet another typical agency with the no replies.
    Months later I got a call from teacher active asking if I was interested in signing up with them, I explained what happened and they said the best thing to do is to come in again with all the documents. I was provided with no explanation as to why I was not contacted about the process or where the copies of my documents even ended up.

Advice to Management

Be more organised, do not lose important documents the workers take in to be photocopied as they hold personal details.

"If you are looking for a job in recruitment and have no career- it may work for you!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at TeacherActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Directors are supportive in helping you to be successful (for obvious reasons)
    Training in Birmingham is great and lovely to see a very busy office
    You receive a fruit budget for the week and money on a Friday to have a drink in the office
    Christmas party is great and all paid for but you have to give up your personal weekend. It can be a long time to spend with coworkers that you already work with for 5days.

Cons

I agree with a lot of these reviews about TeacherActive. I worked for them for 8months and what a nightmare!
    Please do not leave a career thinking that you are going to be successful with TeacherActive in less than one year. The basic salary is £18 -£19 a year but you work from 7-5:30 if not later! It is a great opportunity for anyone who has just left college and is looking to start a career in recruitment.
    During the interview they tell you that within one year you will be earning up to 36k- but also say every ones journey is different.
    The reason in saying this is due to the location of your office, how long it has been open, the desk you will be given, and the area you will be looking after.
    For me I believe the type of desk you get is the most important to how successful you will be.
    The commission structure is ok but not great considering the amount of money you earn for the company. Also you can only bill / earn commission during term time unless you run a SEND desk that has residential and work through the holidays.
    Personally I think the company is very supportive in the beginning, they want you to bill for your self and them.
    But if your not billing and paying for your wage then be prepared to be managed out!
    There is a lot of back stabbing and badmouthing in the company and this is something the management need to crack down on- however it doesn’t help when the management are the ones who are doing it! You can not be honest in this company or role as you are judged if they feel you do not have the company at your best interests. Basically you have to be a yes person and not outspoken!
    It is made clear of the people who the company care about and they are the top billers of the offices, anyone else they make you feel like you are at the bottom of the pecking order.
    During my time at TeacherActive I witnessed one person be sacked, blackmail from the company to keep a team member and a lot of unprofessionalism! Due to a lot of change in the office an area manager was brought in (finally, thankfully, some structure). It was often questioned as to why I had not hit 25 days or more and no one was able to give me a straight answer as to why. I listened to advice, I took it on board, I implemented it! So when the area manager came I really thought she would point something out that no one else had. However after a few weeks of her advising me and I had still not hit 25days it was made clear by her that I was getting managed out, and I was told I was looking for some hidden tips that were not there!
    I felt this company insulted my intelligence on many occasions. If you know your worth don’t bother with them! Also this job is not for an honest person. Be prepared to have to lie!

Advice to Management

Please consider your actions and how you make others in the office feel. Don’t insult people’s intelligence!

Also if u promote someone within the office give them a fair change to prove to you what they are capable of. Don’t have a more senior person in the office 5days a week acting as big brother- it’s insulting and not seen as a positive.

Please don’t lead people on during the interview stages especially if they are leaving a successful career and have responsibilities.