Th_nk Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
Th_nk Chief Executive Tarek Nseir
Tarek Nseir

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A challenging, empowering and motivating place to work...."

Current Employee - Head of Operations in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Head of Operations in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Th_nk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- The work (different clients, industry sectors, propositions), nothing is the same
    - The people (smart, hard working, supportive, empowered)
    - Great culture (we know our values, work as a team, we all pull together to meet them)
    - Communication (regular get togethers of everyone in one office, regular agency updates, Friday beers reviewing the week, regular new biz updates)

Cons

- Agency pace can sometimes be difficult for people to adapt to if they aren't familiar with it
    - As the work is not always the same, finding the balance between standardising and innovation / creativity can sometimes be a challenge
    - Being a small agency sometimes means that the leadership team can be extremely busy across multiple accounts, so we empower our teams to be the owners of what they do with the right support

Advice to Management

- Continue the great work on building the agency culture (getting everyone together every quarter etc)
    - Continue to pave the way in our methodology and approach to digital transformation, we are always improving and getting better
    - Continue what we have started in the innovation area, this really wet's the appetite of our talent

"Fast paced and demanding"

Former Employee - User Experience in London, England
    Former Employee - User Experience in London, England

I worked at Th_nk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary, good offices, modern equipment, trend setting and very interesting work and great clients to work with.

Cons

There appears to be a clique, if you are friendly with management and massage their ego's, you will go far. If you disagree with anyone because of your professional integrity, you have had it!

Advice to Management

Appreciate you hire professionals that do a job, they have many year experience in their field. Have faith and trust in their judgements.

"12 years in..."

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Th_nk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a long serving member of staff I think there's a lot of untruthful negative comments written about TH_NK. It's a pretty nice place to work and it is what you make of it. Let me address some of the cons mentioned:

The culture between Newcastle and London
    If you live or want to work in the North East and get exposure to big brand companies, interesting briefs and still enjoy the more relaxing commute to work, cheaper living costs etc., then, yeah, consider Newcastle TH_NK. If you want to work in a small regional company, working with smaller brands, bland work maybe TH_NK isn’t for you.

Elitist Management & Massive Egos
    I can't really say I've noticed this in the 12 years I've been here. Yes, you do get people who push their points, and that's just because we're good and very passionate at what we do, it definitely does not mean that you won't get your voice heard, and that people with strong opinions can never be wrong.

Holiday
    Generous holiday entitlement, which increases with length of service. As for holiday approvals, I've never had an issue getting the time off I've requested.

Lack of Growth opportunities
    This is not an agency of hundreds of people, we have 5 core specialist teams/disciplines, all with a reporting structure, so yes, to an extent there is always a limitation on growth. However, this does not mean that there are not opportunities to request additional training in areas that you're interested in, which are likely to get you on a higher pay scale.

No real benefits
    If you call a coffee machine, a weekly shop, Friday beers, mobile phone allowance, pension scheme, life insurance, flexible hours, free kindle and access to all amazon books, a bonus scheme, eye care, away weekends. not a benefit, then yeah, there are no benefits here. stay clear! :)

Cliquey Atmosphere
    This must because we work in project teams, this does not mean that you're not welcomed. Just say “hi”, everyone is very friendly.

CEO
    I've been here long before there were 2 offices, having worked in the same office as the CEO, Tarek. I have never experienced anything unprofessional from him. He has strong opinions, and a very good grasp of what our clients need... which is probably why TH_NK have been going strong for so long especially when a lot of agencies around the North East have had to close their doors.

Cons

There's not enough bananas left by Wednesday, so eat your fill on a Monday.

If you don't like beer/wine/gin Friday beers at 4.30 on a *Friday* might not be up your street. You're allowed to drink tea and coffee though, so maybe it's not so bad

There’s only 1 shower room, so if you go to the gym, it’s probably best to shower there

If you have a fear of pool tables, probably avoid TH_NK, as there’s one in the Newcastle office

sorry, I’ve got very few cons about working at TH_NK, it’s pretty good here.

Advice to Management

More bananas, you never provide us with enough bananas! And I'm not really sure why there's avocados in the fruit bowl, sort it out! It's a joke! Please keep the Friday chocolate treats though

"Great agency, great people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

I have worked at TH_NK in a senior capacity for almost 2 years.

I have 15+ yrs experience in the agency industry, having worked for a number of agencies over the years. Some independent. Some smaller. Some bigger. And, truth to be told, none more challenging than TH_NK. But that is simply a reflection of our ambition.

So, here’s my honest opinion.

Fast-paced environment, modern and forward thinking agency. Challenging - yes, but in most cases, the right kind of challenge, the one that forces you to up your game, makes you want to learn more and become better at what you do.

Good benefits and a great opportunity for career development.

Structurally and operationally strong. With great potential for growth.

A great team.

Strong leadership.

Cons

Possibly top heavy in terms of team seniority, but this is a reflection of the nature of the work.

At times under resourced.

Advice to Management

Continue in your ongoing pursuit to make this a great place to work

"Pretty Good"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Th_nk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Varied work, not that stressful. Good team. Good banter.

Cons

Sometimes quiet. Very designed focused so not great if you are and engineer.

"An honest assessment from an insider..."

Current Employee - Engineering in Newcastle, England
    Current Employee - Engineering in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Th_nk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked here for the majority of my career and I wouldn't still be here if it wasn't a great place to work. If you are smart, dedicated, hardworking and not afraid to share your opinion, be challenged and challenge others, this is an environment where you will be given opportunities to succeed and progress your career.

It's an agency so it's a multi-discipline, fast paced environment and the workload is client driven. This is great if you are hardworking and enjoy a challenge, and if you enjoy the variety of working with different people, businesses, technologies and solving a variety of problems, and if you like to be busy and learning every day.

The team is spread across offices in London and Newcastle which means you get to work with an interesting mix of people from different backgrounds, especially in Newcastle where you don't always get the opportunity to work with some of the people and businesses that you would if you were working in a London based agency. There are great facilities that support multi-discipline working between offices and client locations, there are desk pods setup with quality VC equipment enabling teams to virtually sit on the same desks. There is always plenty of budget for travel between offices and staff are encouraged to regularly work between offices.

Everyone is kept up to date with agency news, current work and new business through weekly updates over VC on a Friday afternoon and quarterly company meetings. The leadership team meet regularly to plan and update agency wide objectives that cascade down to individuals.
    Hard work is well rewarded with plenty of benefits and company funded social occasions. There are at least 2 or 3 events every year where the offices come together to socialise, one of which is the annual away weekend where we've chilled out together in places like Amsterdam and Dublin, and we always get together at Christmas and have a relaxed day where we celebrate our work over the last year and go out for a meal, drinks and have a good night.

Cons

The pace of the agency can be difficult for some to adapt to. There are the usual constraints; time, budget and scope, and in a client driven environment these can feel more intense than in other environments, this can make deadlines feel tight and additional hours are sometimes required to get a successful outcome.

It's a multi-discipline team, so creating a workflow that works for everyone can be a challenge. Getting the right processes for different projects and managing change is a subject of continuous improvement.

Staff aren't always equally as busy and leadership time is of a premium, so finding the right balance for internal leadership and management can be a challenge.

Producing quality work is the number one priority, and producing quality with constraints creates tension, and being able to create a successful outcome in that context requires a dedicated, hardworking, talented and high performance team.

Advice to Management

Keep on finding and delivering ambitious work, it can be hard work getting there but the end result is always very satisfying and something to be proud of.

Invest in innovation, growing a high performance team and continually improving the way you work. Try and find more leadership time to support that.

"Fun, challenging & fast paced - no better place to be"

I have been working at Th_nk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined the Company last year and felt part of the team very quickly. Everyone is so passionate and cares about the contribution they make. Those that don't very quickly realise this isn't the right environment for them.

The pace at Think is fast and being small, we have to be nimble and often change direction to suit our clients. This obviously has a knock on impact on the teams but we manage this very carefully and ensure we all know what our roles are. Having just had our Christmas party, you realise what a tight team and family there is at Think. The company take creating a great culture seriously and both offices get together at least once every quarter; away weekends, socials, lunches together, creative breakfast, dragon’s den, rocket fuel. One of the core values that we created last year was “together as one” and although having bi-location offices can be a challenge, we are constantly working to make sure we work as one team. It pays off.

I thoroughly enjoy working here and it’s important that everyone feels valued, listened to and appreciated. Over the past two years, Think has made remarkable improvements in every touch point to address these specific goals and the actions are continuous and ongoing.

Cons

It can be difficult to attract the right talent that share our values and passion.

Advice to Management

A huge part of a leadership role is to drive the culture of the company and to reinforce it. The other thing that has changed dramatically at Think [a shift] from command and control to collaboration and teamwork. Keep working on it as it's working.

"A real career company"

Current Employee - Group Account Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Group Account Director in London, England

I have been working at Th_nk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I joined TH_NK as a graduate straight from uni, and worked my way up to being a member of the leadership team over a number of years. Throughout this time I worked in both our offices, worked on projects and accounts for almost every industry, was promoted numerous times, managed a team and even had the opportunity to work abroad for 9 months. The variety of work available to be a part of is what kept me at the agency for so long. I worked on amazing accounts during my time there, from big builds for the entertainment industry to detailed strategy projects across the retail world.

There are great benefits - from additional days holiday for length of service, annual away weekends, ad-hoc nights out, birthday gifts, enhanced maternity, good pension scheme etc. All the fun you look for from an agency, but also the sensible benefits you don't always get in this industry.

TH_NK feels like a real family, made up of smart, focussed and dedicated people, wanting to do really good work. Everyone is a team player, has each others backs and supports each other when needed. I could not have wished to have worked with a better bunch of people throughout my time at TH_NK.

Cons

It's an agency - by it's nature, agency life can be hard work, especially at pitch times or project crunch times. But in my eyes, you don't join an agency if you want a 9-5 job, you join an agency because you want to work hard, with amazingly smart people, and create brilliant work.

It's not a cookie cutter company - the agency is constantly breaking new ground, foraying into new industries and trying their hand at new things. It's means you won't be doing the same thing day after day, you'll be constantly challenged and pushed out of your comfort zone. You need to be a fast learner, and willing to use your brain in different ways every day. If this isn't you, then TH_NK probably isn't for you, as it's not a place to sit still.

It's a small company, the management are hugely invested and hands on. If you want to work in a company where the leaders sit in offices away from their teams, and pencil push rather than get stuck in, then TH_NK isn't for you. But if you want to work directly with the most senior people in the business, and learn from the smartest brains in the industry - then TH_NK is your place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Support progression, build the team and continue with the great work.
    Keep enhancing the benefits, going after brilliant projects, and making TH_NK a great place to work.

"Most unprofessional CEO in the business"

Pros

None. The Newcastle office is ok.

Cons

The London office is full of second rate staff, all the management is over promoted and the CEO is a complete unprofessional joke. The Newcastle team are good for a local, regional agency though a long way from leading London agencies. Overall, a can not see why this agency survives.

Advice to Management

Walk - close down the London office and focus on newcastle as a best in class regional agency. Replace the CEO.

"Being employed by TH_NK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Th_nk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pension with regular visits by financial advisor, paid for by company
    Regular off-site weekend get together with both Newcastle and London offices
    Varied projects
    Bi-weekly Friday Beers
    Pool Table
    Free coffee, tea, snacks
    Brilliant staff

Cons

Holidays had to be approved by ALL Project Managers, regardless of project working on meaning it was often difficult to book holidays much in advance and they could be declined when they were requested

Advice to Management

Appreciate how important holidays are to your staff and ensure that they have the ability to book them without jumping through so many hoops. Otherwise you are a great company to work for.