The Knowledge Academy Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Barinder Hothi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are many opportunities across all departments all of which are very helpful and supportive" (in 4 reviews)

• "As it is a fast growing company, lots of opportunity to grow with the company" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours leaving you with no social life" (in 9 reviews)

• "The hours are quite long at 8-6 weekdays but after a while you get used to it and it doesn't seem as long" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Working at TKA"

I have been working at The Knowledge Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Happy Environment
    + Talveer is very approachable and is always willing to help
    + Team incentives are always good
    + Get on with your job and left to do so
    + Progression is encouraged

Cons

I have non at present

2. "The Knowledge Academy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bracknell, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bracknell, England

I have been working at The Knowledge Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have the ability to make good money and the social life is good. Of course we all want shorter hours but you get used to it after a while. I really don't think it's as bad as everyone is saying on here but everyone has they're own experience.
    TKA gives young people a chance to get into office based jobs without loads of experience. They will train you and you do feel a bond with your team.
    Occasionally they will show appreciation buy having a tab at the local pub or treats and champagne in the morning.

Cons

As mentioned the hours are long and the kitchen can get messy after lunch.

Advice to Management

More regular incentives, Summer party!!

3. "Strange Company"

I worked at The Knowledge Academy full-time

Pros

If you beat your target you get on an accelerator meaning you can double the commission you earn. you could take home £2000+ (a lot more depending on how well you did) but thats only if you really smash your target

Help is there when needed.

Incentives from time to time if you perform a certain task well at the job which can vary from vouchers to trips abroad.

Good experience if you're a school leaver or graduate.

Commission on everything you sell with £500 (full target) being the max before tax.

If you truly want to work in sales you can be team leader quickly depending on how hard you work.

Cons

I was told in my interview that 90% of the people on the sales floor hit full target regularly. I can't speak for all teams but in mine that was certainly not the case. Nobody was hitting target regularly, people weren't even hitting half target regularly to be honest but a few would, half target is £250 commission before tax. It wasn't due to laziness as we all worked hard but targets were unrealistic i believe.

Salary is poor, most people on the floor are on 16-18k for those wondering. If you hit full target you'll be looking at 20-22k OTE. In addition to this working hours are 8-6pm. On a salary like that and the hours you're working you're probably barely earning above minimum wage. Most people there are very young so i don't think some of them no any better, most people would leave unless they are desperate for work or need experience.

Targets being hit regularly are very unrealistic as during my time there very few people did it and it was usually a one off thing with the following month sometimes being quite bad or back to normal with no target being hit.

Again i can't speak for all teams but a lot of luck is involved in this job, it's what everyone would say. One month a customer in your account might require a big amount of courses that will help you hit target. Another month you won't, no matter how hard you try and yet if you're far from your target you get a bollocking even though sometimes it's completely out of your hands. Some accounts are better than others simple as that. There was new comer who got a deal in his first 3 days and was the first person to hit full target in his team due to that ONE account he had. Of course it was only the one time, the month before he quit he was literally looking at a 0 month if not for one deal that would save him. He quit a few weeks later.

I don't believe hardwork is valued that much in this company but thats my personal opinion. I've seen a lot of people put in effort in this job and still get asked 'do you want to be here?' 'I don't think you're hungry enough' maybe management say that to motivate people to work harder but otherwise im not sure. Some people there are quite laid back but are fortunate enough to have good accounts to help reach target.

I was told in my interview that the company doesnt have a high turnover yet ive seen many come and go. Some people on the floor who were classed as good would also leave. If you're heard saying anything negative about the company you're fired. This isn't even a joke as it's what i've witnessed. The irony is that most people there would complain from time to time but the managers never realised.

Targets vary from team to team yet we are all on the same leaderboard...?

Training was there but it could have been longer, better and more organised.

No one works hard from 8-9 and from 5-6 as customers are usually not as active. So perhaps working hours should be amended.

One of my colleagues said he found it hard to be motivated to work there due to the salary and commission not being very good and he was classed as a 'good' worker and yet even he would say some luck is involved and definately didn't hit target regularly. People struggle to once a while hit target so smashing your target to earn that HUGE commission is almost a myth.

A lot of strange hirings. How can you hire someone that comes into an interview in trainers? Someone came into a the office in casual clothing once and another in tracksuit bottoms. Have never seen that in places i've worked before and probably won't again.

Advice to Management

Take constructive criticisms, maybe what people are saying are true.

"Working at The Knowledge Academy"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bracknell, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bracknell, England

I have been working at The Knowledge Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great social atmosphere. Good place to get on with everyone.

Cons

I feel as though job roles and work rates need to be remeasured to justify the amount of hard work and graft some teams/employees.

Advice to Management

I advise all managers to increase the amount of reviews (Not relating to pay or anything in particular). More of a performance review of how we can achieve better results and be more pro-active. I feel Manager's also need to show their staff that we are appreciated and not just a number as sometimes it can feel that way as per most organisations.

"Can not reccomend"

I worked at The Knowledge Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are lucky enough to enjoy your peers company, work can be slightly more bearable.
    Some (very few) managers are invested in helping develop the staff force.

Cons

Very greedy, back stabbing, tense often nasty environment to work in. Senior management is corrupt and backwards, they tend to use bullying tactics to get the employees to work for them. Some members of staff involved in the lies fed from above, these members of staff tend to walk around with their nose in the air as if there paying everyone's wages.

Little to no support. Targets raised at least once a month to an even more unrealistic number to the month before.

Promotions depend on how matey you are with your superior as oppose to hard work.

They have a clever way of turning enthusiastic ready to work young people just stepping into an office environment into disheartened, deflated and stressed beings.

Advice to Management

Get out of business.

6. "Great company with amazing progression"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Officer
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Officer

I have been working at The Knowledge Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in a great team and we all bounce off each other. We work in a highly stressful environment so having a great team really helps.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a bit stressful and I think people need to understand that note

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff, some of us have some great ideas!

"Poor Ethics and Management"

I have been working at The Knowledge Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good colleagues and comraderie between staff
    Always been paid on time and correctly
    When you finsh at 6 everyone walks out - you're not expected to stay a minute longer or take your work home

Cons

Rude and aggressive owners who will come in and start screaming, swearing and shouting at staff in front of everyone.
    Disorganised vision and execution by senior management. No one knows what's going to change next and it's aways later than expected.
    Unrealistic sales targets
    Poor availability of onsite parking for number of staff
    Long hours of 8-6, with no wor done between 5-6 (people litterally sit chatting or on their mobile phones - it's pointess)
    High staff turnover
    No flexability of working hours or home situation taken into account
    Monthly sales targets never received until 2-3 days into the month

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly your proposals to staff and seek their advice. Have a clear plan to implement them and do so on time.
    If you want to double or treble your revenue, raising everyones' targets by 100%/200% won't achieve this on its own!

"AVOID - An awful place to work"

I worked at The Knowledge Academy full-time

Pros

Anthony in the cafe is nice
    Oh and Mary on reception!

Cons

Not sure I have enough space to share my views on this awful soul destroying place.
    The management team are appalling and that's a polite understatement. Senior management team consisting of husband and wife Directors, often verbally abusive swearing and threatening, and the husband has been known to throw items as well.
    They are fortunate to have a sales floor of some great sales men and women, over 100, some of which are paid what amounts to borderline below min wage for 10 hour shifts. This is also often their first job ... sad they endure this situation.
    Targets are given after numerous prompts sometimes several days into the month and are only ever for the current month making forcasting impossible. They are ramped based on an individual's success with a total 'finger in the wind' mentality. No strategic thought process is given. Not sure many there would have the ability to do that anyway.
    Office set up is so cramped if someone passes down an isle they have no choice than to knock into your chair. Desks are tiny and cramped and temperatures reaching almost 30°.
    Bins are left to overflowing, vending machines have been empty for months, the drinks machine works most but not all of the time and cleaners dont stay for long - they've got the right idea.
    Strict breaks that you are often told you cant take and archaic practises such as forced power hours, without notice, where you are bullied to stand up irrespective of what you are doing.
    Marketing mailshots mass mailed to entire client base often offering prices seriously below what we were sanctioned to give but sent to existing clients. Totally unprofessional and ruins any chance of building long term relationships based on trust. Inexperienced back office team who in most cases through no fault of their own make error after error effecting service delivery and are then ill equipped to deal appropriately with the fallout.
    No training and no support even to take any of the offered courses !
    Review fixing is common practise I suspect a high percentage of any good ones are written by the management team or relatives of.
    No qualified HR team with over 200 staff just 1 lady who is a 'have a go' and a totally inadequate situation. Has been known to leave personal documents laying around for others to see.
    Just an overall awful experience and one to be avoided at all costs. My worst career move ever ... full of false promises from interview to leaving.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people not the £'s ...treat them right and the £'s will follow without fear and force.
    "Leadership is not about being in charge it's about taking care of those in your charge"

"Worse company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bracknell, England
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bracknell, England

I have been working at The Knowledge Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great water machine which produces Cold refreshingly hydrating H2O. Onsite Gym with not a lot inside.

Cons

Poor management from the top to the very bottom. The CEO of TKA is deluded and passed down a terrible way of operating a business. You will be told lies about the company before you start, and it's not a secure place to work as the turnover for employees is a joke. If you manage to avoid the revolving doors at the start, you better keep hitting your in consistent monthly targets.

If ever there's an issue going on in you personal life that effects you, don't expect management to care. They'll just expect you to carry on as usual or even worse, expect more out of you. Also this company writes fake reviews to try and help the rating so be warned of the 5* reviews

This place is truly a toxic environment from the very moment you start, you'll have no training on what it is your selling and be expected to hit the floor running. Wouldn't recommend working for this business to my worse of enemies. Please avoid applying here, unless you enjoy feeling depressed and run down... Then go ahead, this place is made for you!

Oh and staff parking is a joke, everyday you'll have an issue with it.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people, make them feel valued. Try a sustain a high morale and stop setting unrealistic targets. There needs to be more consistency. Oh and most importantly, Learn how to 'Manage'! Lack of experience and 'knowledge' with regards to man management.

"Experienced salespeople/account mangers AVOID!"

I have been working at The Knowledge Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The role itself is easy: short sales processes and the clients are interested in the products
    - TKA have a good hold on the project management training market

Cons

- Senior management have no experience from other organisations and so the CEO and MD (husband and wife) make all decisions (slowly with little strategic thinking and limited guidance from ill experienced middle management)
    - All salespeople, including senior BD professionals are treated as though they are expendable
    - Poor delivery on the products sold which often results in the loss of large clients and numerous individuals
    - The sales teams don't get the resources they need - e.g. senior external salespeople had remote access to emails removed (with no explanation)
    -Sales targets are set monthly with a number plucked from thin air
    -Sales commission is calculated from the monthly target
    - Horrendous staff turnover and work culture - only one HR employee (with no HR background or qualifications) for 250+ employees in the UK
    -The business has used GDPR as an excuse to make knee-jerk changes with little or no grounding in the actual legislation and with no communication/explanation to the wider business
    - No obvious career path or progression, as most of the managers are related to the CEO
    - The business is writing fake reviews (both on here and Truspilot) to try to improve their very poor reputation

Advice to Management

- Hire senior managers with experience (from other organisations) or seek help from management consultants
    - Give senior salespeople the resources they need to achieve the (unrealistic) targets set
    - Make the interview process longer. You cant get a feel for a person from one half hour meeting. Similarly the individual can't get a feel for the business in the same time frame
    - Hire some more events people - 2 in the UK is not enough for an organisation the size of TKA
    - Set realistic targets and the sales teams will stay motivated
    - Create more structure to the business with clear career progression plans