Thorntons (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 24 October 2018

2.8
Barry Bloomer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You get 25% Staff Discount and can eat samples of chocolate at work" (in 7 reviews)

• "25% Discount, Some nice staff, Ability to go other stores" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unrealistic targets/goals from head office" (in 11 reviews)

• "Regional managers (not all if them) but certainly mine have very poor communication skills" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Chocolate shop worker"

Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Middlesbrough, England
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Middlesbrough, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice colleagues and working environment

Cons

No cons really. It's easy to get fat because you work in a chocolate shop.

2. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks for managers - no Sunday working, no bank holidays, time off at Christmas. Great customer service expectations, incentives in stores, friendly region to work in which led to great regional meetings.

Cons

Ferrero ruining the brand, closing lots of 'little' shops.

Advice to Management

Take more notice of your smaller stores.

3. "Senior Sales"

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time

Pros

Friendly Colleagues and generally nice usual customers

Cons

Due to a buy over from fererro, it seemed that a lot of changes that were happening within the company didnt make sense and a lot of customers seemed not to be happy with the new focus of the brand as they stopped shopping in stores and began buying from supermarkets instead

4. "Confidence-breaking, distressing and all-round horrendous experience!"

Former Employee - Temporary Data Entry Clerk in Alfreton, England
    Former Employee - Temporary Data Entry Clerk in Alfreton, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25% discount at the on-site shop, staff members outside of the team I was working within seemed friendly enough, and the manager was accommodating regarding time off for interviews, but that was because of the position being short-term / temporary.

Cons

I worked here temporarily between August - October 2018, and was essentially bullied out of the role. I've done temping in the past, all of which were positive experiences, aside from this one! If your face doesn't fit with the Manager of the team I worked within (and for reasons unbeknown to me, mine didn't), then you will be alienated. I eventually ended up in tears and explained how I felt to a member of the team who worked closely with the Manager, who told me he "couldn't make people like" me. He then proceeded to contact the Manager over the phone who was off-site at the time, who instructed me to leave the position with immediate effect, whilst showing no compassion when I was audibly very distressed about the situation. My advice would be to think twice before accepting a role at this place!

Advice to Management

Treat your staff equally and fairly, based on their performance, rather than on whether or not you gel with them as a person. Sort out clicks and recognise / address signs of bullying.

5. "Middle Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alfreton, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alfreton, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great family values, free gifts and a willingness to invest in the business.

Cons

The new(er) management seems to be floundering with deciding what the strategy is and where it's going (I assume they had fantastic interview technique). This has trickled down to team members not sure where they will (or won't) fit into the future of the company. The new leadership does not make any attempt to engage with experienced workers.
    There has been a constant brain drain for the last few years. Many of the best and brightest have moved on, or are looking.

Advice to Management

People are your greatest asset and you're bleeding to death

6. "Change"

Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I have been working at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lovely team and great customers. You can always make people smile with chocolate. Some good higher management who care

Cons

Lack of store hours, head office don't listen to stores, we can't do our jobs as most sections in head office incompetent. Senior management need to follow through on promises

Advice to Management

Follow through on your promises made. Interact with stores and accept feedback from store managers/ teams

7. "not like it used to be"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) (More than 5 years)

Pros

free chocs, team that i worked with

Cons

jumped up higher management. if your not liked higher management will 'manage you out of the business' shocking treatment and no support from HR. used to be a family but ferrero just trying to get rid of the higher to save on redundancy pay outs. regional managers need to treat store managers with a bot more respect instead of having 'favourites'. store managers are trying to run their stores the best they can on the hours they are given and don't need the added stress of losing more hors if your not in the 'click'

Advice to Management

look after the store managers that are trying to make money for you and keep the brand alive. get rid of the regional managers tat just care about themselves and their 'click'

8. "Going downhill"

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time

Pros

Opportunity to build a relationship with regular customers

25% discount

Sales Assistants were all lovely - when I first started, I built up good relationships with other staff members, who nearly all moved on before I did.

Cons

Since being bought by Ferrero, the ethics of the place have changed a lot - more focus on ticking boxes and identikit shops than customer service or staff satisfaction.

Lack of communication - often would be told to do something by one member of staff, only to be told by another to do it a different way, sometimes within the same day. We would often get last-minute communications from Head Office about changeovers, or offers, which was very stressful.

Incentives have gone out the window - every so often there's a halfhearted attempt, and then they are forgotten. Very low morale.

Favouritism - if you are liked you are adored, if it comes around to being your turn to be disliked, you are barely spoken to. I saw this with a few different members of staff, including myself.

Senior sales and management were on pennies more than I was as a Sales Assistant, which is incredibly unfair.

Advice to Management

Have a little more interest in the shops that are not the "flagships" down south.

Work hard on giving the staff room to breathe, and reward positive behaviour. My store was the top of my region over Easter, and we got no recognition for it.

9. "Lost it’s great people culture!"

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Thornton’s was a great business with some great people.

Cons

Since the takeover the business has declined, staff morale was at all time low and Ferrero don’t care.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teams and change!

10. "Key Holder"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Keyholder in Truro, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Keyholder in Truro, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun Working environment
    - Flexible environment for staff to request holiday
    -Good bridge between management and staff
    - Weekly pay is always nice in part time work

Cons

- Unrealistic targets/goals from head office
    - Constant changes higher up often affect day to day operations without real consideration on how it affects staff lower down the ladder

Advice to Management

Try to increase enthusiasm within the team for the product itself. Decisions higher up and the business changing CEOs and company owners has devalued the quality and culture surrounding the product over time. Thorntons used to be luxury not a supermarket product.