Thorntons (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 28 November 2017

Full-timePart-time

Barry Bloomer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing comaradary between the Thorntons family both at store level with head office (in 5 reviews)

• You also get 25% staff discount (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes unrealistic goals and blame culture and head office constantly makes mistakes and managers have to keep following up (in 9 reviews)

• Regional managers (not all if them) but certainly mine have very poor communication skills (in 4 reviews)

1. "Best job ever"

Pros

Staff were warm and welcoming, the training was great

Cons

Spending all my wages on the lovely chocolate

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "Store manager"

Pros

Lovely retailer to work for good training in all aspects of the job .

Cons

Sometimes unrealistic goals and blame culture and head office constantly makes mistakes and managers have to keep following up .

Advice to Management

Sort out head office before blaming stores !!!

3. "Factory worker"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alfreton, England
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alfreton, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is some good people work there.

Cons

One mistake and you get shown the door after 17 years being there, what a joke.

Advice to Management

Do alot more for your staff.

5. "Factory worker"

Current Employee - Factory Worker in Alfreton, England
    Current Employee - Factory Worker in Alfreton, England

I have been working at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A wage at the end of the week

Cons

Repetitive fast working environment, no training or support on the lines.Pressured to keep up with production even on first day of starting. Blatant favouritism ,if your related or well in its OK you can get away with things others carn,t.hard to fit in if you don't already know anyone there.

Advice to Management

Invest in training and give people the support they need .Treat everyone the same and make more time for the workers on the factory floor, and listen to them .

6. "Christmas Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Killingworth, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Killingworth, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fab management, very friendly and welcoming. Offer full training to help you understand how the shop works and what is expected of you. The interview was very laid back felt like more of a chat than an interview, great staff, good discount and paid well.

Cons

No positions available to be kept on after Christmas period

7. "CSA"

Former Employee - CSA/Duty Manager in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - CSA/Duty Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good trainingand good staff

Cons

staff made you feel at home

Advice to Management

stay the same

"Shocking management"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In store teams can be brilliant, some head office staff are lovely are really helpful and you get bank holidays off paid.

Cons

Sadly not treat well at all. Told we are nothing to the company "just a till number". Regional manager is allowed to run the region on own rules and literally make up policies as she goes to suit her. Such little respect for the managers running her shops she hasn't even got the decency to say hello when going on a bus to meetings full of her managers, will only speak to her 'regional support team'. I use these words "regional support team" very loosely as the only support they provide (when not actually on the sick to a point any other person is forced to leave) is to support using bullying tactics on people they have taken a dislike to for no known reason. No acknowledgment of achievements or simple well done, only ever negative attitude and complete disrespect for store management to the point where phone calls are not returned, emails ignored and post goes " missing " that often I contemplated getting an owl to know it was received. You will also be questioned about authenticity of hours worked even though you get paid 39 hrs a week and work over this every week and spend your xmas eve at work until 9pm, however you will get an email "wishing you all a lovely relaxing Christmas Eve night with your families". They forget we didn't finish midday and our families are all tucked up in bed by the time we get through our door xmas eve, even Santa gets there before us! I could say a lot more but after another day of working 10 hours and only getting paid for 7.5 of them I'm rather tired now so think twice before thinking of joining this company as things are going downhill faster than a wagon full of fat kids.

Advice to Management

All regionals should be abiding the policies stated and not making up their own.

9. "Too many changes"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some colleagues are good and will help, nice to try different chocolates, if you get the right regional there can be development

Cons

Not enough hours to complete what's needed, no follow through of ideas they start one thing then stop. Higher management don't share enough and no on in head office answers the phone

Advice to Management

If the stores don't exist neither will you so get to know the people in the stores

Thorntons (UK) Response

10 Oct 2017 – Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for your review and for sharing your feedback. We review all feedback to ensure the best possible experience for our colleagues. I hope that we have been able to address a number of your... More

10. "Thorntons Senios Sales"

I have been working at Thorntons (UK) part-time

Pros

Good discount on products, friendly colleagues, good training

Cons

Unreliable hours, sometimes too little hours to give people a week

Thorntons (UK) Response

10 Oct 2017 – Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you enjoy working with us.

"End of an era"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing comaradary between the Thorntons family both at store level with head office.

Cons

New owners sucking the life and soul out of a great company.
    Amount of hours I had to work for free.

Advice to Management

Leave the running of the stores to managers. Not all stores are a one size fits all and as a store manager, I knew my store best.

RSM's should do what their title says, support. There was no need for wasted visits to my store when I didn't need the support. I could ask for it when I needed it.

Look out for store managers trying to do one over on other local stores so that their store doesn't get shut down. That's why I left after 11 years.