Thorntons (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Barry Bloomer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get 25% Staff Discount and can eat samples of chocolate at work (in 6 reviews)

• Amazing comaradary between the Thorntons family both at store level with head office (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic targets/goals from head office (in 11 reviews)

• Regional managers (not all if them) but certainly mine have very poor communication skills (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good Employer"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount 25% was a great bonus especially at Christmas

Cons

Icing lots of personalised chocolates in busy times got very tiring

2. "Going downhill"

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time

Pros

Opportunity to build a relationship with regular customers

25% discount

Sales Assistants were all lovely - when I first started, I built up good relationships with other staff members, who nearly all moved on before I did.

Cons

Since being bought by Ferrero, the ethics of the place have changed a lot - more focus on ticking boxes and identikit shops than customer service or staff satisfaction.

Lack of communication - often would be told to do something by one member of staff, only to be told by another to do it a different way, sometimes within the same day. We would often get last-minute communications from Head Office about changeovers, or offers, which was very stressful.

Incentives have gone out the window - every so often there's a halfhearted attempt, and then they are forgotten. Very low morale.

Favouritism - if you are liked you are adored, if it comes around to being your turn to be disliked, you are barely spoken to. I saw this with a few different members of staff, including myself.

Senior sales and management were on pennies more than I was as a Sales Assistant, which is incredibly unfair.

Advice to Management

Have a little more interest in the shops that are not the "flagships" down south.

Work hard on giving the staff room to breathe, and reward positive behaviour. My store was the top of my region over Easter, and we got no recognition for it.

3. "Lost it’s great people culture!"

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Thornton’s was a great business with some great people.

Cons

Since the takeover the business has declined, staff morale was at all time low and Ferrero don’t care.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teams and change!

4. "Key Holder"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Keyholder in Truro, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Keyholder in Truro, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun Working environment
    - Flexible environment for staff to request holiday
    -Good bridge between management and staff
    - Weekly pay is always nice in part time work

Cons

- Unrealistic targets/goals from head office
    - Constant changes higher up often affect day to day operations without real consideration on how it affects staff lower down the ladder

Advice to Management

Try to increase enthusiasm within the team for the product itself. Decisions higher up and the business changing CEOs and company owners has devalued the quality and culture surrounding the product over time. Thorntons used to be luxury not a supermarket product.

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training. Well respected product. Supportive Senior Management team.

Cons

On occasions lone working happened

Advice to Management

Increase hours budget to avoid lone working situations

"Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Thorntons (UK) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly Wages
    Nice fellow Sales Assistant co-workers (purely down to chance, the management and senior sales were awful)

Cons

Treated harshly and given no respect if you're a sales assistant
    Irrational hours which clashes with other aspects of your life
    No flexibility, and also denied days off you requested months ago
    Management are bullies and shift the blame down the ladder
    Character Assassination and belittling you for making simple mistakes because of inadequate training.
    High School approach and treating you like a child
    Disrespectful and don't treat you well in general
    Bad communication and keep you out of the loop
    Unrealistic targets from Head Office

As someone whose been working there for a while, and also studies they made my life difficult, and feel guilty for asking for time off to do assignments and study. We were understaffed due to people leaving and they'd never hire other staff to help fill the gaps, instead they'd pressure us to taking on more than we could handle, and if we didn't agree to ridiculous hours, they'd accuse us of not being a "team player." They'd never take responsibility and you're always to blame regardless. Certain favouritism and the environment is extremely unhealthy, it demands way too much, any criticism of how poorly things were run or opinion in general was viewed as "misconduct." Managers would stand and watch you work for periods of time which was extremely uncomfortable, we didn't have a suitable staff room and our lockers were limited. Don't know about the company as a whole but the shop I worked in was very poorly managed.

Advice to Management

You need to stop taking advantage of and abusing your young staff because you are in a position of "power". Thorntons is failing and will be extinct due to poor management and good riddance because the shop I worked in was appalling to say the least. Buckle up and start treating people better because soon you won't have a job which gives you the opportunity to treat people that way.

Thorntons (UK) Response

16 Mar 2018 – Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you feel this way about your experience in our store. I take a personal interest in all feedback received from our store colleagues and would like to understand... More

7. "Horrendous."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I worked with but that was luck more than the company. I give them no credit for the wonderful girls I worked with.

Cons

Thornton’s is a joke. It just is. Regional managers allow bullying practices and are so in their ‘favourites’ pockets it doesn’t matter what happens. Two managers in my region were abusive to their staff and it was brushed under the rug because they’re friends.
    The store manager was lazy and constantly belittled and gossiped about other staff members in front of customers and even when complained about, it was ignored.
    I was personally almost suspended on dubious reasons that were overturned as soon as anyone with half a brain cell looked at the allegations.
    A company full of scare tactics and favouritism that allow bullying? No thanks.

Advice to Management

You won’t listen to me now if you never listened to me before. In fact, here’s my advice: continue to watch your little empires burn because you’re too incompetent to tie your own shoelaces without help.

Thorntons (UK) Response

27 Feb 2018 – Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for your review. We work hard to provide a positive experience for all employees but this has clearly not been your experience. I take a personal interest in all feedback received from our... More

"A company being killed off from the inside out but no one wants to believe it."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Thorntons (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get 25% Staff Discount and can eat samples of chocolate at work. Teams make it tolerable assuming your allowed to work with anyone.

Cons

This is a company that is being killed off. Ferrero brought Thorntons two years ago and since then over 100 stores have been closed. Ferrero purchased Thorntons because they have a factory in the UK and Ferrero wanted it. In their first year Ferrero spent 12.5 million on the factory to allow it to make Ferrero products but spent nothing on stores. I ran a store and couldn't get £20 to fix a cupboard door. Ferrero will gradually remove Thorntons stores completely and just sell in supermarkets. The problem is no one at Thorntons wants to believe it. Ferrero had a work conference where they fed lies upon lies to Thorntons to make them think they were moving them forward. Unfortunately I read between the lines and could see what was really happening. In five years time there will be no more than 5-10 Thorntons stores left because Ferrero will kill them off. Why pay store people to sell their products when people like tesco and asda will do it for them and pay their people themselves.

Advice to Management

Not advice for management because they know what they are doing but for anyone in Thorntons. Unless you have a long service record then leave because sooner or later everyone will be made redundant. You are all being killed off so Ferrero can monopolise the confectionery market. Wake up before its too late.

9. "Best job ever"

Pros

Staff were warm and welcoming, the training was great

Cons

Spending all my wages on the lovely chocolate

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

10. "Store manager"

Pros

Lovely retailer to work for good training in all aspects of the job .

Cons

Sometimes unrealistic goals and blame culture and head office constantly makes mistakes and managers have to keep following up .

Advice to Management

Sort out head office before blaming stores !!!