Toptal Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Toptal CEO, Co-Founder Taso DuVal
Taso DuVal
Pros
Cons
  • "Remote work sounds nice for most people but in reality there are many people out there who are not made for this kind of work(in 28 reviews)

• "After almost 2 years of experience here at Toptal I have no cons to list whatsoever(in 7 reviews)

"Good benefits"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Toptal full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company works fully remote which means gives employees some serious mobility advantages. Enjoy traveling or hate going to the office? No issues with that here. Make sure you do your tasks and no one will care where you are. You also have unlimited leave days if you wish to disconnect. The salary is really competitive and the job really makes you use all your skillsets.

Cons

During the beginning 6 months, you are advised to limit your off days so you can better integrate with the team.

Toptal2017-10-18
  2. "Very Satisfying Remote Position!"

I have been working at Toptal full-time

Pros

The freedom to work from anywhere in the World and maintain a sense of "team" that I have never felt before.

Cons

Timezone changes can be a little tricky in my position.

Toptal2017-07-13
  3. "Working at Toptal"

Current Employee - Writer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Toptal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Toptal is a pleasure. It's a wonderful balance between the structure provided by steady employment and the flexibility that comes with freelancing. Toptal actively encourages employees to experience the world, while providing numerous resources to help them improve their skill sets and increase their chances of growth within the company.

Cons

For some, it might be difficult to adapt to a completely remote lifestyle, but Toptal invests time and energy into helping employees feel comfortable and productive.

Toptal2017-06-29

"Challenging, meritocratic and exciting place to work"

I have been working at Toptal full-time

Pros

A bold company looking to build something truly innovative in a rapidly emerging industry. The rapid growth creates lots of opportunities for those with the entrepreneurial spirit to take advantage of them. Minimal politics with a focus on outputs and what people do not just what they say.

Cons

Rapid growth of the company means many of the management processes and systems you are familiar with at a large company are still being developed. Individuals who are self-motivated and comfortable working in less structured environment are most likely to succeed.

Toptal2017-06-04

"Fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Automation Engineer

I have been working at Toptal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good exposure & Flexibility to work from anywhere, anytime. Great culture & people to work with. Good work life balance. Its a dream job for me :)

Cons

Don't see anything as of now.

Toptal2017-05-01

"Overall, a fun and fast journey"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales

I have been working at Toptal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working fully remote has been life changing. Not only for my family, but for my own well being. The people at Toptal are some of the most intelligent, thoughtful, and motivated people I've ever worked with. The global exposure and experience has given me newfound appreciation for how close and interconnected we all are, despite the geographic distance.

Cons

Not all companies are ready for distributed teams, although I think that is quickly changing.

Toptal2020-03-17

"Super High Growth Company"

Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Toptal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tons of autonomy, they hire very smart people and let them figure out problems Lots of opportunities to move up or horizontally due to high growth Leadership does a fantastic job of pushing people and giving them the tools to be successful Toptal is fully remote and ahead of the curve when it comes to infrastructure and processes for a remote company

Cons

Mild growing pains- processes are changing to keep up with demand, this is very normal for a hyper-growth company

Toptal2020-03-13

"Fast moving company changing the staffing & consulting space forever"

Current Employee - Client Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Toptal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Toptal's model is very innovative and we are passionate about changing the way in which we clients all over the world are able to access elite talent. Seeing this in action is very exciting and personally fulfilling. Leadership is committed to our success with hands-on, real-time feedback. The trajectory is compelling for what the future holds for our business.

Cons

We move and mobilize very quickly which for some might be a hard adjustment. Demand from clients and internal stakeholders means that this is not a typical 9 - 5 job. Work life balance is not clearly delineated. While not a con to all, we have a very direct culture.

Toptal2020-03-20

"A break down.."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Toptal full-time for less than a year

Pros

During the interview process I worried this would be too good to be true. Well, it's the real deal. I'm grateful to be a part of a successful and growing company that's an industry-leader bringing inventive and disrupting ideas. It's dedicated towards constant self-improvement and has a thoughtful growth plan. ✔ PEOPLE: Being fully remote I was shocked at the relationships I quickly built and continue to develop across my team and the organization. Everyone is readily available and willing to help each other. My team communicates very well and help each other out wherever it is needed. *Toptal is FILLED with people that truly care about their work and come up with impressive, innovative ways to better the environment, our goals, our processes, and any other area they can envision. ✔ CEO: He's not yachting or making decisions from the golf course. He's on the ground, contributing daily. He's involved and cares about this place. He's very intelligent, passionate, and strategic. He is a very direct communicator, but without direct communication you'd be left with ambiguity and inefficiency. ✔ CULTURE: Quickly reinforced what I was told during the interview process. This is a culture of collaborative and driven individuals. We show up and work hard while building relationships along the way. A very straightforward and blunt communication style which contributes to an open, "carefrontation", and efficient work environment. We have team outings so you get in-person with your team and occasional virtual happy-hours too! ✔ WORK: The job descriptions are purposefully created to lay out a lot of what pertains to a job, but what they don't tell you... because of all the innovative ideas and strategies you get to do a lot of interesting work. You're driven to think of things from new angles and contribute to conversation driving improvements in processes, strategy, and innovation. You'll be challenged here. ✔ FLEXIBILITY: I can work from where I want. Some days I need the quiet concentration of my home office and other days I enjoy sitting at a local cafe. I have coworkers that enjoy working on their patios and others that travel the world full time. *The PTO? I thought my last employer was generous and lax about time off, but Toptal proved that wrong. When I recently took time off I mentioned that I'd check-in on slack and was told "NO, enjoy your time off. It's YOURS." The PTO is the real deal.

Cons

✘ Toptal isn't for everyone. If you just show up to work just for a paycheck you won't succeed or like it here. Toptal is for people that care about what they do, are driven for a greater purpose, and want to have impact. ✘ Remote work requires someone that is a self starter and passionate so they can stay on the ball. It also requires a strong ability to communicate proactively.

Toptal2019-08-08

"Has Potential"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Toptal full-time for more than a year

Pros

remote work unlimited pto great vision

Cons

toxic culture creating policy for everything everyone is overworked no work life balance

Toptal2020-02-25