Twitch Reviews

Updated 29 Jun 2020

3.6
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear
Pros
  • "We have great perks and benefits(in 20 reviews)

• "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company(in 13 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes(in 8 reviews)

1. "love working at twitch"

Current Employee - Web Developer in London, England

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

very good lots of pross

Cons

i love twitch no cons

2. "Amazing!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture - Office Space - People The place is awesome, i have been working for twitch for 6 months and have loved every minute, there are a lot of opportunities to experience new things and to impact change within the business, its great.

Cons

None at present, keep up the great work.

3. "Cool place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice place, good benefits and health care program

Cons

Nothing to compalin so far

"It's just like university - cliques ,cliques, cliques."

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

You get free food, snack and drinks. That's nice. If you work on certain teams you also get Amazon stock as part of your overall compensation package. The office is a nice place to be, there's a bar, gaming PC's and space to just generally chill out. Almost everyone that works there genuinely shares one of the same passions as you (gaming).

Cons

Boy, where to begin. I'll just talk about the important things from my perspective. Management. The first thing that is noticeable are the pre-Amazon employees are almost all managers regardless of any actual skills (or lack of) they have. Oh, they are also in a clique which is impossible to break into. That probably explains why they are all managers. Because of this Twitch is what i'd call a 'fat' organisation - the headcount over the past 2 years has exploded as legacy employees managers realized they couldn't do the job and needed to hire people ASAP. No wonder Amazon has come in and seems to have put the foot down - hiring has definitely slowed. I've never seen a company in more need of a serious restructuring. Too many people doing too little - there's whole teams that seem to get in the office around midday and leave before 5pm. Absolutely no career development. I'm not joking here either, and i'm not over exaggerating. As a multi year employee we've only just started to get a structure together for a comprehensive development plan for employees. My weekly meetings consist of me asking if there's anything I can do better or work on, the answer was always 'you're doing an excellent job, just carry on doing what your doing'. Oh about working towards that promotion? Just keep working and we'll see. The management has no real direction - I'm guessing that a lot of this comes as a symptom from the lack of management from the top. Issues that arise take way to long to be identified and acted upon until it's too late, then the inevitable finger-pointing begins.

Continue reading

"Terrible senior management is what will kill this company"

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who are passionate about Partners and the community are what make the company still a better place than its competitors. Decent meals and other office perks. Strong online brand to boost your own value as a professional.

Cons

Inconsistent commitment to core values, policies, and a lack of follow-through on promises to improve both towards employee development and company development. Corrupt and nepotistic behavior from senior management including giving promotions and praise instead of severance packages to absentee managers. Nominating several employees for Forbes awards who have long-standing records of doing nothing, skipping meetings, bending policy for friends, and other unprofessional acts. Ignoring pitches to improve accountability.

6. "Top of their game"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great internal tooling, great culture, everyday is fun, tons of learning opportunities

Cons

Very slow and resistant to change. Some of those in power act like straight up frat bro’s. People talk trash behind each others backs

"On the rise"

4.0
    Current Employee - People & Places Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

New CPO is amazing, empathic, takes time to listen, and is honest not just with the People and Places team but with the company. I was at Twitch during the old leadership and I can honestly say things are so much better. The team knows the mission and vision. Bottom line, I wanted to leave , but decided to give the new People leadership 6 months to prove who they are.. I am so glad I stayed! The teams are more transparent, you can tell that things are changing slowly but surely. The Talent org is having its best performance in the history of the company, the PeopleOps team is fixing mistakes from years of bad tech debit, the facilities org has built and maintains some of the coolest offices around the world. Yes its a hard place to work but what tech company is perfect?

Cons

Its a very complex environment, you need to be thinking 10 steps ahead all of the time. Processes are not well defined and there is a high level of reliance on Amazon, it burns people out. If you are not always on something will slip by and that feeling creates burnout.

Continue reading
  8. "The opportunity to be a part of something greater"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel strongly that I have the ability to affect positive change in the world through the role I play here at Twitch. It is a fast paced, ever changing environment that allows for people who are hungry to put their stamp on something, to do just that. I feel it is a safe space to ask questions and learn. Our platform creates and fosters community and allows people to do what they love for a living. I'm proud to be a part of that initiative.

Cons

Things change very quickly. If you don't handle change well, it could be tough to have to keep adjusting the way you work (but I also see this as a pro as it creates a lot of room for growth and development and the sharpening of skills and experiences.)

"Leaves much to be desired"

Former Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are quite a few amazing perks: free lunch, massages, cool swag, etc. The office is fun and you have work life balance.

Cons

The company culture is ridiculous. The company doesn’t value diversity and the People team lacks direction. Promo process is a joke. Your ability to make an impact is severely limited to who you are best buddies with. The inclusivity group doesn’t seem to be backed by Emmett or the company (employees are left to fight the extremely narrow minded, racist and sexist Twitch trolls on their own). The company can’t keep good employees for an extended period of time and it shows. Literally the entire People team has overturned in the past few years. That says something when you can’t keep the people who are tasked with engagement.

Continue reading

"The emperor has no clothes."

Former Employee - Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some genuinely smart and and honest people that work at Twitch that do their best to work around the nonsense created by overwhelming management incompetence coupled with controlling/micromanagement.

Cons

At Twitch leadership at is nothing more than cronyism. Its like watching the self abuse of the Republican Party - stroke the ego of your leader and you will do ok. Disagree with the Grand Emperor and get blacklisted and labeled a "untrustworthy." It is at that point that management begins to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the individual so there's no real choice but to leave (if you don't already want to). Individuals that get promoted are the ones with their lips firmly planted on the managers backside or have a bobble-head. "Values" have been weaponized for daily use to justify bad behavior by managers. Twitch Managers should actually read and attempt to invest in the values that get recited at every meeting like cult prayer. Maybe if managers lead through example the staff might not need to be "programed" through repetition. Positional authority is the only measure of how correct someone's opinion is within Twitch (regardless of the information provided). Leaders fly off the handle with "hunches" or "educated guesses" and then seek opinions that support their view (sound like a President you know?) Confirmation bias over real information is the order of the day at Twitch and if you are not on their wavelength you will not be on the team. Sad really.... but unfortunately is part of the game with "engineer thinking." Meaning, "I am smart about software so I therefore know everything." Grow up.

Found 247 reviews