Two Sigma Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Two Sigma Reviews

Updated Nov 14, 2019

4.2
Two Sigma CEO David Siegel and John Overdeck (no image)
David Siegel and John Overdeck
Pros
Cons
  • "As Two Sigma grows into a medium-sized entity, there are some growing pains(in 8 reviews)

• "There's still some red-tape around getting environmental changes approved(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Collaborative environment, lots of interest in launching new businesses and growing current ones. Very motivated and intelligent people.

Cons

I don't have any cons

Two Sigma2019-11-14

"pays well, bad culture"

Current Employee - Quant in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for less than a year

Pros

- pays quite well - good work-life balance - depending on team, might work on something very interesting

Cons

- extremely secretive culture which makes for both awkward interactions with colleagues (people on your own team won't say hi to you in the hallway) and actually makes your job harder (lots of things don't just lack documentation - they CAN'T be documented, people get thrown out of meetings half way through to preserve secrecy, no one casually talks about what they're working on) - can't interact with open source... community or speak at conferences about your work very easily

Advice to Management

You brand yourself as having tech company style open and transparent culture, but you have nothing even remotely approaching this. It's not the end of the world - many people don't want to work in places with a lot of crossfunctional collaboration. But you should be more honest about this in corporate branding, both internally and externally.

Two Sigma2019-10-31
  3. "Great firm with interesting work and flat organization"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very flat structure. Everyone is approachable. - Interesting work. - Senior management comes from a place of trust, meaning they trust business and project owners to do what's best. And that culture permeates the organization. I feel like my manager has trust and confidence in me. - Certainly a tech firm in the finance / investment management world. This means casual dress code, great benefits, work-life... balance, and workplace perks. - From what I've seen, internal mobility happens often and is encouraged. - Employees are empowered and encouraged to take on additional work / solve problems that aren't currently being worked on.

Cons

- Different business units can be compartmentalized so can be difficult to meet others throughout the organization.

Two Sigma2019-10-08
  4. "employee-friendly; deserves its good reputation"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time

Pros

A healthy, friendly working environment; reasonable and mostly flexible hours - nice for people with kids; good salaries, benefits, time off, etc.; technical challenges are good (but see further discussion in "cons"); plenty of opportunities to switch teams within the company; well-communicated path for career advancement.

Cons

Our business in the end is financial, so even though we are highly technical we are probably not going to transform the software industry the way Google has, for example.

Two Sigma2019-10-01
  5. "About two sigma"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time

Pros

Working with many smart people

Cons

The company is too big

Two Sigma2019-10-01
  6. "Perfect!"

Former Employee - Quantitative Researcher

I worked at Two Sigma full-time

Pros

Great compensation and great benefits!

Cons

Working hours are a lot!

Two Sigma2019-09-26
  7. "Good mixture of technology and finance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collaborative culture with extremely intelligent employees. People are nice, smart, and very driven. The problems are technically challenging, and there are growth opportunities spread throughout the firm. Internal mobility is accepted, and it's possible to have a long career here while working on several different teams/products.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly and is starting to experience big-company problems. Politics can occasionally impact productivity, especially with regards to titles and team size.

Advice to Management

New managers often seem to be unqualified for their job. More management training would probably be beneficial for ICs who become managers.

Two Sigma2019-08-29

"Decent company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interview bar very high, so generally very good peers

Cons

little strict about office timings

Two Sigma2019-09-05

"Fast moving great workplace for innovative minds"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very transparent and this company opens a zillion ways to learn new stuffs to help personal growth . this company has great benefits and there is always food in the pantry no dress code

Cons

It moves too fast at times in terms of inheriting technology so, we jump /upgrade sooner than really required. No work from home options

Advice to Management

Work from home options for employees , may be we can have like 2 days a month per employee.

Two Sigma2019-08-15

"Great place for a quant researcher"

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Great work-life balance and flexible hours. 2. Smart people with high level of intellectual curiosity as their main motivation. 3. Great tech-company-like culture that values creative ideas from everyone. 4. Challenging and interesting work.

Cons

No major complaints yet.

Two Sigma2019-08-08