Ultius Reviews

Updated Jan 25, 2021

Found 63 of over 176 reviews

Ultius Interim CEO Dante Frizzoli (no image)
Dante Frizzoli
Pros
  • "We are dealt with fairly, even with unhappy customers writers are still treated justly(in 25 reviews)

• "Work when you want, work from home, interesting work, good pay(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Editors are sometimes difficult to work with(in 43 reviews)

• "Revisions can be time-consuming with no compensation(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

180 Comments

Tech

33.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Ultius~658985
    Join the conversation on
    1. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible, but not livable

Jan 21, 2021 - Freelance Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, work for yourself.

Cons

There is really no going anywhere as a freelancer for this site. Ultius doesn't care about their writers, and they don't give them enough money based on how much work is required to fulfill a lot of their contracts. On top of that, they don't offer any significant promotions for their writers—you basically make money for them till you quit.

3 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

We appreciate your candid review of the freelance writer position. Flexibility is one of the many attributes freelancers seek, and we’re glad you enjoy it. We understand that some orders are more complex than others and different writers may complete similar orders on different timetables. The writer payout table is an item up for review as we gather insights and data from the team. In the meantime, writer bonuses are frequently added to orders, so be sure to check for them! We work hard to give writers the support they need through our extensive knowledge base, helpdesk, and numerous resources available 24/7 on the writer portal. We also have a ticketing system for individual assistance. When other opportunities are available, we usually reach out to our writer base first. It’s often about being in the right place at the right time. Thank you for taking the time to review our company.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not A Good Opportunity

Jan 25, 2021 - Quality Assurance in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are no pros to think of.

Cons

The job is a complete insult. High school summer job pay for cognitively demanding work that you need at least some grad school experience to excel at. Weird company culture that exudes the attitude of a world class tech startup - but doesn't compensate anywhere close to the caliber it demands. Working in QA was a headache because I had to constantly clean up the mess of poorly trained/supported writers and staff. A consequence of the company having to lower its standards to find the pulses willing to work for embarrassing low compensation. The QA department has the "feel" of working at an Amazon Fulfillment Center, which is another insult, considering the intellectual nature of this position. Overall, working for Ultius was a weird experience working with a company that is out of touch with the core service it provides. I would not recommend it to anyone.

4 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for your honesty and I’m sorry we were not able to discuss these discrepancies while you were here. We would have loved the opportunity to make your time with us more enjoyable. Between parties, weekly meetings, confidential surveys, annual evaluations, and employee chats, we try our best to make sure employees are content and able to share their honest opinions. I hope you are able to take your experience with us and find a company more suited to your desires. Everyone deserves to feel appreciated at job they enjoy.

3. 4.0

Overall a Good Experience

Sep 26, 2019 - Freelance Writer in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quick Responses from Staff Good System Layout

Cons

Limited work You learn as you go

Writer Success Lead

Hello and thank you for this review! We are so pleased you have enjoyed writing with us. It sounds like our platform layout has been user-friendly and easy to navigate. It also sounds like you have enjoyed the support offered by Ultius staff. We understand that available work is competitive and it takes determination to succeed. We hope you continue putting in the effort and we are here if you need anything. Thank you, again. :-)

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Company doesn't care about writers, will terminate contract over slight offenses

Mar 7, 2019 - Writer in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, I made decent money while working there while working from home. Likely the best remote job I've had so far, but I haven't had too many so that doesn't say much. It was fairly easy money for the most part.

Cons

You are basically writing papers for dumb college kids who are lazy and can't write. At times they will be rude and request insane things. The company will mark you and force pay cuts for slight issues with the writing, most of which are due to the client's own negligence. They do not like prolific writers as they do not really want to pay you the money. They ultimately want to keep an influx of new writers to maintain leverage over their workers. They will fire you for slight offenses that are extremely negligible, such as having an identical sentence in a document from another document that was submitted by the writer. This is pretty ridiculous, yet they constitute it as "self-plagiarism" which doesn't really exist.

31 people found this review helpful

Writer Success Lead

Hello and thank you for this review. We understand that you are no longer writing with us at this time. Based upon the information you shared, it sounds as though you were satisfied with your income when you did write with us. But you struggled with our policies including the zero-tolerance policy we have for plagiarism. We are sorry that this was ultimately not a good fit but we are hopeful that you will continue your writing in the future. Thank you for your time with us and for sharing your thoughts in this review. We wish you all the best.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It's a great company

Aug 20, 2018 - Freelance Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love my job and can work whenever, however, and wherever I like. Not everyone can handle that freedom and responsibility which is presumably why there is a dissing review on this website

Cons

There is not a lot of team interactions. All you, all day. That's how you play.

13 people found this review helpful

Writer Success Lead

Hello! Thank you for taking time to post this review. We sincerely appreciate your honest and constructive feedback. In your review, you noted some of the positive merits of writing with us including the freedom to work from anywhere (with an internet connection) and the ability to create your own schedule. Many of our writers agree that the autonomy afforded with this freelance opportunity is truly invaluable. We are so pleased that you agree. Thank you again for this review. We look forward to a bright future with you on the team!

6. 5.0

Excellent!

May 30, 2018 - Freelance Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

You choose your work load, the payment is fair, and in peak seasons the work is plentiful.

Cons

Sometimes there's no work at certain periods.

2 people found this review helpful

Writer Success Lead

Hello! Thank you for taking time to leave this review. We are so pleased to read that your experience has been positive and enriching. If you need anything while you continue writing on the team, please remember that Writer Success is available to give you one-on-one support. Thank you, again, for the feedback and have a wonderful day!

7. 5.0

Support Rep

May 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing environment, great management! They have everything you need to feel like you're at home in the office.

Cons

Can get slow during their slow season.

HR Manager

Thank you so much for leaving a review! We strive to have a positive environment and are happy to hear you enjoy it. We worked hard to build a culture and office that is inviting and productive. Hearing your feedback affirms that we have accomplished our goal. We appreciate you.

8. 4.0

Freelance Writer

May 15, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexibility, you can choose your own assignments

Cons

inconsistent work; slow summer months

2 people found this review helpful

Writer Success Lead

Thank you for taking time to leave this review. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. It is a pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed a few of the positive aspects of writing with Ultius including a flexible schedule and the ability to write on the topics that interest you most. We understand you have requested we take a look at the editors we have on the team. If you wish to discuss any of your interactions with staff that were unsatisfactory, please feel free to contact Writer Success. Thank you again for this review. We wish you all the best as you continue writing with us.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Where are the orders for new writers? Please, show more!

May 1, 2018 - Freelance Writer in Portland, ME
      Business Outlook

Pros

At the moment, I am a bit irritated because new writers aren't even being given the fair chance to prove themselves. There's always a catch. I've read many positive aspects from writers about working for Ultius, but these writers have been working for the company as freelance writers for at least six months. The pay is certainly fair for the work the writers do. Paying by the hour would be even better but to me, the pay is not the problem at all. So, I guess the pay, freedom to pick from a lot of different orders (once you've completed your first 20 orders) and freedom to take vacations when desired are some of the positives. I learn something new each week. Based on my own experience so far, the editors, interviewers and administrative assistance team are honest and respectful. This job is something great to add to your résumé if you're right out of college and need more professional experience in the writing field.

Cons

It is extremely difficult to reach the 20 minimum amount of orders new writers must complete in order to apply to have access to graduate orders, regular orders, and urgency orders. This makes no sense, and it's absolutely frustrating to refresh your 'Take Orders' page in your account multiple times throughout the day only to have just one or two orders showing up at max. New writers should be allowed accessed to at least half of the Freelance queue (default for writers). There are a lot more than two orders available, but they just won't allow new writers to have access to everything right from the get-go. New Ultius writers will struggle to complete even just one order starting out if they can't even find a topic they studied proficiently, or at least a little bit, in college. Good luck doing that based on the one or two available orders. All in all, there is no topic variety in the orders for new writers. This is a problem. You need a lot of patience starting out, and not all writers are patient because they just want to get started writing. The excuse of "low season" is a bit of nonsense because even during low season, more than two orders usually still exist each day.

7 people found this review helpful

Writer Success Lead

Thank you for taking time to provide this review! We sincerely appreciate your honest feedback. Based upon the information you have provided, we would like to address a few important merits. You noted that your experience with the staff has been positive and respectful. Also, that you have found the writing opportunity with Ultius to be lucrative and convenient. We are so pleased to hear that your experience has been so positive. In your review you also noted a concern with regard to the order queues. Please allow us to explain a slight misconception you may have about the queues. All writers who join the team automatically have full access to the freelance queue. We do not limit the number of orders you see in this queue. If you have seen two orders only, this will be because when you logged on there were that number of orders available in the queue. Please always feel free to contact Writer Success if you need clarification on the order queues, explanation of policies, or tips on your writing with Ultius. Thank you again for your review!

10. 4.0

Not a Bad Way to Make Some Extra Money

Feb 28, 2018 - Freelance Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule, ability to improve your writing

Cons

Slow times means that not many orders are available, editors can be unresponsive at times, clients can be unreasonable at times

Writer Liaison

Hello and thank you for this review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide meaningful feedback. Based upon the information you have shared, we would like to address a few merits. You noted several positive aspects of writing with us including the freedom to create your own schedule and the ability to improve your writing as you earn extra income. We are so pleased you have enjoyed these parts of writing with us. Also noted in your review were a few areas which could benefit from improvement including client interactions, responses from editors, and overall order volume. If you have any questions on how to navigate those items during your time with us, please do not hesitate to contact Writer Success. We are here and happy to help. Thank you again for your review!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 63 Reviews