Abbott Associate Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Abbott Associate Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Abbott

2.9

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Abbott (Columbus, OH (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Overall I had a very hit or miss experience interviewing with Abbott Nutrition.

I applied to an open Associate Scientist position through their company website in January and was contacted by a HR manager in February. She rescheduled our "20 minute" phone screen interview twice and when the call did happen she called me 20 minutes past our proposed time and only talked on the phone with me for 2 minutes. She asked a couple of behavioral questions and did not leave me any time to ask questions of my own.

Two weeks later I was invited to two 45-minute online video interviews which were both 2 on 1. The first one was with the hiring manager and another principal scientist, while the other was with the hiring manager's 2 direct reports. Both interviews were very standard where they asked to review my resume followed up with standard behavioral questions. All of the scientists I talked to were very nice and the interviews felt more like conversations than an actual interview.

Two weeks after the video interviews I was invited to an onsite visit to Columbus. Again, I had a very difficult time with HR. They did not respond to my emails and did not have my travel logistics organized until the day before my flight. I did not have my interview schedule sent to me until 11PM the day before my onsite interviews at noon. During my interviews the employees asked about my travel logistics and seemed appalled hearing which hotel I was being put up at and also that my flight leaving Columbus was an hour after my interviews finished.

Even though my interactions with HR were very hectic, my time at the onsite went well overall. I presented my MS thesis and fielded questions for an hour. After that I had 2 30-minute interviews, a 5 minute lunch break, and finally another 2 30-minute interviews. The first two interviews we with other principal scientists in the department and they asked very standard questions. The third interview was with the hiring manager where she asked more detailed technical questions about the position. My last interview was with the department head where she asked very open questions about my MS thesis and internship experiences. After the interviews were done I had to quickly grab an Uber, they did not rent a car for me, and rushed to make my flight to the airport.

During the interviews I was told I would hear a response in 1-2 weeks. After 3 weeks with no word I send an email to touch base with HR on any updates and did not hear anything back. Finally, 5 weeks later I received a phone call from HR saying I had not gotten the job.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Abbott

Associate Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Abbott in July 2015.

Interview

Basic Questions on Architect experience and how my role fits into the organization. Described job duties and function in organization. I was also a familiar person so they referenced my past work experience.

Associate Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Abbott.

Interview

My resume was internally passed onto to the employer by a contact of mine currently working in Abbott Diagnostics. I had an informal phone interview followed by an on-site interview. I had two back to back interviews with a 1) a group of the senior associate scientists and 2) the supervisors of the position. The team was extremely warm and not intimidating. I came in very prepared with a portfolio of my research experiences and they were impressed with it right from the start. The key was just being yourself. Abbott is looking to hire people not qualifications. The interviewer came right out and said they were looking for someone whose personality would fit into the team. I was asked some technical questions because this is a scientist job, but I had prepared for those and was not caught off guard by them. It is important to know your resume; they want to see that you actually did all the experiences you wrote about.

One point of advice: Abbott park is very big and complicated. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to find the building. I got to Abbott park an hour before my interview and that was the perfect amount of time because I did end up getting lost a few times trying to find the building.

Some questions they really appreciated were:
    1) What does a successful year in the position look like?
    2) What brought you to Abbott and why have you stayed for so many years?

Both questions got the interviewers really excited and ended the interview on a really positive note.

They take a while to get back to you. I was told they would get back to me in a week but did not hear from them until 2.5 weeks later. I emailed the team at around 2 weeks to follow-up and see if they required references and then the next day received a phone call I had been offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you were in a conflict with a superior at work and how you handled it?
      Talk about a time when you changed a process or practice at work and how you persuaded others to follow?
      What is the most important quality a scientist should have?   1 Answer

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abbott (North Chicago, IL (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Contract company. Interview was three panel interviews with 1-2 managers and coworkers. The interviews were 15 to 30 minutes each. Each interview asked roughly the same question but a couple of different questions. None were too hard. They are only trying to see if you will work well with the group.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important thing about being a scientist?   2 Answers

Negotiation

N/A

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abbott (Santa Ana, CA (US)) in September 2010.

Interview

Phone interview by in house recruiter. Then 1 on 1 interview with a staff and manager.

Associate Scientist Interview

Interview

It was a whole day interview with eight members of the team. The interview was very detailed and technical with questions varying depending on the person. It was very professional. The interview can vary from area to area. Good preparation always helps.

Associate Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Abbott in February 2010.

Interview

Phone interview, situational questions (group work, etc.). Second interview with hiring manager and senior scientist - technical, scientific and scientific experience questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe UV-Vis spectrophotometry, how to determine protein concentration.   Answer Question
    • How would you determine the amount of protein in your sample from an HPLC chromatogram?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate salary, accepted as a first job (new grad). I recommend negotiating!

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Abbott (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2008.

Interview

1-1 interview with HR
    1-1 interview with the reporting manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.