Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Consisted of a recruiter round followed by a phone call with hiring manager and then a 4-5 hour onsite where they grill you as much as they can. The interview panel was a mix of good and bad, but a lot of cross functional stakeholders who you have no idea how they work with the team, keep questioning you and kept on interrupting while answering.
    Worst part is after you invest so much time in preparing and interviewing the recruiter just sends an automated email with no feedback at all even after following up multiple times (marketing recruiters need some training on candidate interaction).

Interview Questions

• Why Airbnb?
      Technical questions related to the role- situational and hypothetical
      Values interview (behavioral questions)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Nice office space. The technical part of the interview is pretty standard: coding, design etc. The culture fit rounds are a bit unique. Try to get out of the technical mindset when attending these rounds.

Supply Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

The process dragged out over 3 months, lots of lag time between rounds of interviews. 5 rounds total:
    Recruiter screen
    Hiring manager interview
    Second manager interview
    Values interview round
    VP level interview
    Each round was a mix of situational questions and behavioral interview questions. All the interviewers were very warm and inviting, second to last they have you do two 30-min “values based” interviews with employees in other departments at Airbnb which I thought was a cool way for them to communicate their culture. In the end I didn’t get an offer and got no feedback as to why after being strung along for several months. Recruiter was friendly and checked in frequently

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

They reached out for me to complete their video interview. I didn't make it past the video interview round. The interview was confusing as it showed the question and then gave you about 15 seconds to think before responding.

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. I first interviewed with a recruiter then the hiring manager. Before the interview with the hiring manager I was asked to complete an assignment which essentially felt like free labor. I felt like I wasn't been asked the right questions and at times even questioned or doubted for certain answers. There was also no timeline laid out or set of expectations.

Interview Questions

• The job role covers A,B,C,D. Please choose two of these and I will ask you two questions regarding those topics?   Answer Question

Business Strategy Manager Interview

Interview

No response to application, which I find unprofessional and to be a poor process. I had 3 referrals from internal employees, including HR professionals. That said, I do know the process would have included a phone screen, several in person "culture fit" interviews and meeting the direct manager.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Resume screen, recruiter emailed, hacker rank challenge, two back to back technical questions then phone interview with non engineer. The hacker rank challenge was pretty difficult as well as the technical screen

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb (Portland, OR (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter contacted me nearly two months later and scheduled a technical phone screen with an AirBnB engineer. Interview was 45 minutes on coderpad, because they want the code you write to run as opposed to usual whiteboard-type coding.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer started by patting herself on the back by pointing out that she was unbiased because she didn't look at my resume before the interview. She then proceeded to ask me to either reinvent Dijkstra's algorithm in 45 minutes or remember it from school, thereby being biased in favor of new grads/current students. AirBnB is not interested in talented engineers with 5+ years of experience.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I found this interview process to be unnecessarily lengthy and, relatedly, disrespectful to the candidate. To substantiate that claim, I’ve outlined the interview process I went through for the Analytics track and added commentary on each phase.

TLDR: This interview process was unprofessional enough to make me leave this long of a Glassdoor review. A function of:
    • Too many interviews (n=10) and redundant questions (e.g. was asked ‘Why Airbnb’ 5 separate times throughout the process, was asked a selection of ‘how would you measure x’ questions in 4 separate interviews). People have actual jobs – be considerate of their time.
    • Arrogant attitude (e.g., not a single interviewer introduced him/herself; out of 10 interviews, there were 5 minutes I had to ask questions). If you want the world to believe your ‘Be a host’ pitch, help your candidates get to know you too – at the very least be friendly.

Details: The process amounted to 10 total interviews/meetings which spanned about 3 months from application to decision. A function of:
    • 1 30-minute phone screening with a sourcer who seemed to be reading from a script and was not knowledgeable enough about the role/team to answer beyond-surface-level questions
    • 1 45-minute SQL CoderPad interview + 'metrics interview' over the phone (e.g., 'How would you go about measuring Airbnb's customer service team's success?', etc.). The interviewer was unfriendly and seemed annoyed that he had to take the call. He said nothing other than the scripted questions.
    • 7 on-site interviews/meetings
    o 1 on-site presentation interview (15 minutes + 15 minutes for Q&A). This was with a panel of 4 listeners. 1 of them was the hiring manager, but I couldn’t tell you who the other people were because no one introduced themselves. Also worth noting, no one smiled.
    o 1 exploratory data analysis interview (60 minutes), where you’re given a dataset and asked to dig into it
    o 1 metrics interview (30 minutes), where you’re asked how you’d measure various Airbnb business dynamics + drilled into on what would move those metrics (e.g., what would an increase in x do to the average? The median?)
    o 1 ‘experience’ interview (45 minutes), where there were 1-2 questions about past project experience and then, mid-way through, a surprise case. This was disappointing because it was the only interview throughout the entire process that was supposed to be a chance to talk to someone on the actual team that the role was on and connect on a personal level at all vs. showing that you can be a human calculator. I had a handful of stories prepared on my work experience, most of which I wasn’t given an opportunity to share. I was also interested in getting to know the manager as a person in this interview – learning about her background or an example project she envisioned the person taking on, but unfortunately she didn’t introduce those things, and there wasn’t much time to ask questions due to the surprise case on the back end of the interview.
    o 2 ‘cross-functional’ interviews (each 30 minutes), which are conversational and meant to assess fit with Airbnb’s culture/values. These are a really nice concept, but they’re with random people in the organization – it would make more sense to use these an opportunity for the candidate to meet the team.
    o 1 non-evaluative lunch with a Data Scientist not on the team you’re applying to, meant for asking questions/getting to know Airbnb’s culture better
    • 1 final ‘case’ phone interview, which again consisted of ‘tell me how you’d measure x’ questions. This really felt overkill – the questions were identical in nature to many of the questions that had been asked in interviews prior.

On a positive note, the recruiter responded with a decision within a week and was respectful enough to share the news over the phone. But then, of course, there was no interview feedback offered.

Interview Questions

• If Airbnb wanted to open a new office, how would you determine how many meeting rooms to build into it?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb in November 2019.

Interview

Reached out to by an Airbnb recruiter while I was still with my previous company. Had a few productive phone calls before the conversation trailed off, though IIRC that was due to the recruiter not following up on a few of my questions, but not a huge deal.

A few months later, I got back in touch with much more serious intentions. We set up the next step, a technical phone screen, which covered SQL and a biz case study, all of which I felt went well, then.....silence, for 2-3 weeks.

Finally, a vague response from the original recruiter: "The results from the phone screen were positive, however, the team does not feel that there is a match at this point in time for our current roles."

I quickly followed up, seeking more specific feedback. Then followed up again with a separate question 10 days later, and as of this writing (another 10 days later), have not heard back at all.

Airbnb, if you're reading this: This was not a good experience for me. I came in with a very positive perception of DS @ airbnb, and am leaving with one that DS and recruiting are poor communicators and/or very disorganized. Since I was interviewing for a 'general data science role', and not any one in particular, it's not acceptable to say 'you did well on the test that we administered, but we're gonna pass and not tell you why'.
    Since i'd been recruiter-screened multiple times and covered my resume, either you're misleading me and i did poorly on the test, or there's something you screwed up in evaluating my background qualifications that you realized much later.

I do not feel I was given a fair shake in this interview process, and at this point would be wary in recommending anyone to apply. I've interviewed with many dozens of companies for data science and analyst roles, and this experience was definitely on the more negative end of things.

Interview Questions

• (something along the lines of) How would you go about designing a metric for customer service calls?   Answer Question
    • 3 SQL questions with standard level of difficulty, nothing overly complex required   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.