B&Q Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 28 Sep 2017

2.6

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q (Sheffield, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview, followed by a group assessment in shop. The latter involved everyone introducing themselves, a team building exercise (a tower out of straws, paper and sellotape), speaking to customers under supervision and then practicing product selling with the group. The hardest out of these was the product selling as I was nervous and didn't know much about the item. Approaching customers on the shop floor was quite daunting but not as bad as I thought it would be. The successful people went on to have one-on-two interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with B&Q?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunfermline, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q (Dunfermline, Scotland) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online which was an easy process and as part of this you had sinarios where you picked the most likely answer and this influenced the next question. I then got offered a telephone interview that took about 10 minutes with about 5 or more questions. If successful you were invited for a face to face interview.

Night Shift Stock Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q (Sheffield, England) in August 2017.

Interview

1. Online application: You may be asked to answer a few online questions to aid your application. The answers are linked to the company's values and going the extra mile.

2. The website states you will be contacted in seven working days, in my case it was three. Policy states contact to confirm or deny your application was successful.

3. Telephone interview with a manager: You will receive an email stating when you will be called. 0830 x 1230 for example. You will asked why you wish to join B&Q, it's history and CBQs. The call will last around ten minutes.

Search online telephone interviews.

4. Passed? Congratulations! ...you will be invited to an assessment centre at your applied to store a week later.

5. The day is split into two halves. You will be asked to speak to customers, wearing the famous orange apron. Then some team building exercises. If you pass the morning, you will be asked to stay to be interviewed. Again, CBQs.

6. You will be asked to complete an online induction, either at home or at your new store.

I would advise you to pop into a store before the interview. Make notes of the store's layout. This isn't a test, but it will help you, help customers during your time on the shopfloor. Your pad can be put into your apron pocket.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q.

Interview

telephone interview, generic retail questions. then invited to in store interview. first was a group one, where we were split into teams with tasks to complete, then there was a 1-1 interview with the manager

Interview Questions

• share a time you had to work in a team   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q.

Interview

The first round is online application, and then telephone interview, after which is final face-to-face interview. The process is straightforward, and questions are company & role related (Why this company? Why this role? Why you?). Just need to be fully prepared.

Anonymous Employee in Basildon, South East England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at B&Q (Basildon, South East England, England) in June 2017.

Interview

Very quick process, applied for the job and got an email a few days later arranging a telephone interview for the next day. Easy questions and the women who interviewed me was lovely. Was told I was successful and got invited for a one on one interview in the store the next day.
    Store interview was quite laid back with store manager who was also very friendly, interview only lasted about 30 mins. Got a call later that day offering me the job :)

Store Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at B&Q.

Interview

Lengthy process which seems pointless now because this particular store don't look after their staff at all. They would rather belittle you and reprimand you for something you have no control over!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Customer Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at B&Q.

Interview

Had a phone interview, she was very nice and only took around 5/10 minutes and got called in for an interview the next day. It was thankfully quite informal, they were very nice and made it a lot more comfortable and easy to talk to. Took around 30 minutes of the generic questions then asked if I had any holidays in the next 3 months and explained some things to me about the club cards. Then they asked me when I could start training.

Interview Questions

• When's a time you've had to resolve a problem?   1 Answer
    • When's a time you've been out of your comfort zone?   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with a large workload?   1 Answer
    • Would you feel comfortable on a busy day with large queues?   1 Answer

Checkout Operator/Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Kilbride, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at B&Q (East Kilbride, Scotland).

Interview

Started off with a sales pitch about a product you choose from a small selection. It sounds scary, and I was terrified, but it was really informal and pretty fun. I sold a set of three chopping boards, and took the opportunity to talk about how it elimates cross contamination between meat, seafood and vegetables. I also spoke about how it was lightweight, yet durable and dishwasher safe, and the three different colours added a bit of pop into any kitchen.

The second stage, I got paired off with a a manager and had to patrol the shop floor, and speak too as many customers as I could, and help them as much as I could. The managers do NOT expect you to be able to answer everything, and they will step in to answer the more specific questions as customer might have. However, I was able to help find the price of an item, and to stack some products into a trolley for some customers.

After that, myself and the five people who were getting interviewed today had to wait for twenty minutes whilst the managers decided who wasn't good enough and was getting sent home, and who got to have a final one on one interview.

I was one of the people who got the one on one interview, and it was the most informal bit of the day. Lots of chatting, jokes, and disgression.

I found out about 6 hours after that that I got the job!

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at B&Q (Derby, England) in April 2017.

Interview

I got a call from the HR team where they just held a 20 minute short interview, at the end they told me i was through. I was invited to an interview where we had to sell them a product then had a short 1 to 1 interview. I was ok they didnt ask the questions well and were quote boring.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.