Cars.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Cars.com Interview Questions

Interviews at Cars.com

2.8

Marketing Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

Did the standard phone screening with the senior HR manager and then did a longer phone screening with the hiring manager (VP of Marketing). Was invited to do an in-person interview to meet 5 people on the team. Covid shut down happened so we ended up doing video interviews remotely, which was fine.

Every person I interviewed with was fine and made good use of our time where we discussed my experience in detail, how I would handle certain situations, behavioral questions etc. One interview in particular was not though. Rather than spend our time discussing relevant topics to determine if I would be a good fit he thought it would be a better use of our time to have me figure out a random puzzle. This puzzle was an algebra question requiring math that in no way shape or form would be used for a digital marketing job nor was it an accurate gauge on my experience, skill set and qualifications to do the job well. Note that this position was not a highly technical engineering, data scientist or consulting position, it was for marketing. It was not only a bizarre question but a bizarre experience and huge waste of time. It was the last interview I had and immediately turned me off to the position knowing that I'd be reporting into someone who thought that was a good use of our time during the interview and more importantly a good gauge on my qualifications for the role.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 3-D cube and paint the entire outside surface of the cube, how large is the cube so that the number of smaller cubes that have only 1 side of paint on them equals the number of smaller cubes with no paint on any side?   6 Answers

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cars.com (Minneapolis, MN (US)).

Interview

3 phone interviews (remote position), one FaceTime interview, and a mock sales presentation. The sales presentation was a mock sales call with a client that was considering canceling our service.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my sales style.   1 Answer

Editorial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

I have never felt more professionally and personally disrespected than I did interviewing for a position at Cars.com. I originally applied for the editorial intern position and went through a phone screening and a 1.5 hour Skype interview with three employees. The process went fine despite being a bit disorganized -- some of the employees didn't show up at the right time for the interview and the recruiter originally did not tell me the time she set the interview for. I was told I would hear back in two weeks. Two months passed and I did not hear back.

Then, I got a call from the same hiring manager. She told me that they had filled the Editorial Intern position, but an internship in communications had opened up and she thought I would be a good fit. After confirming a start and end date to the internship, she asked if I could come in the next day to meet with the "hiring team." I said yes, and cleared my schedule for the next day. After never receiving an email telling me when to come in like she said I would, I followed up to ask if they would still like to meet with me. The next day, she told me that the hiring team was busy and that she would keep me posted on their availability. Because this was a Friday and her message was vague about what time she would like to meet, I cleared my work shifts for the next Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday so that I would be free to come in. Monday came and I did not receive an email. I sent one at noon asking if I should still come in. I did not hear back. Twenty-four hours later I received a phone call from the recruiter telling me that someone else had interviewed Friday in my place and that because of the "quick process" they had hired on the spot.

I understand corporate life is busy and that interns are the least of everyone's priorities, but I was told on Friday that there would still be a meeting with the hiring team -- when they had already hired someone. The team did not communicate this with me for two days despite the fact that they contacted me -- not the other way around -- to see if I could fill a spot they needed filled. This entire process was a huge inconvenience, and I wish that I had not applied in the first place. The hiring team for this internship program is lacking in communication, transparency, and respect.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

Just never happened. I was contacted by a senior recruiter, we were supposed to schedule a time for a phone interview but...radio silence. Haven't heard from the recruiter since and never had the phone interview. If the position was already filled, why not have the decency of letting the candidate know? Seems unprofessional, especially when scheduling a phone screen with the recruiter is not a difficult thing to do.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

The Interview process was okay, the recruiter was pretty hasty and rude. Really tried to drive hard on the previous salary question. After an in person interview with two sales leader (who both came unprepared) I was never called to let me know I wasn't moving forward after multiple call/email follow ups to the staff members I met throughout the process.

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

The Interview experience was very interactive, employees were nice and asked specific questions. Do your research about the company. It started off as a phone interview and led onto in person interviews.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cars.com (Champaign, IL (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

Just one round interview.
    They asked many questions about my resume and experience, like why did you choose this major, why do you choose cars.com, and what's your favorite project you've done?
    When I said I used Node.js, they asked lots of question about that to ensure your understanding.
    There was no algorithm question, and the whole interview lasted for about 30 minutes.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager which was followed by a technical phone interview with a Senior Developer. From there was given a coding test and told once finished they'd have me come in for a face-to-face and discuss the code. Finished the code that same day and after not hearing anything for a week they send an email saying they filled the position.
    Wasted my time and didn't even give me a chance to finish the interview process.

Senior Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with the hiring manager, followed by a second call with a senior member of the team.

Upon those steps being completed, was asked to complete an application that they think will only take two hours.

For anyone work their weight as a software engineer cannot complete this exercise in two hours and write code that confirms to platform standards.

Also if you don't finish it in a couple days, don't bother. They don't care if you have a life or another job... You only get a couple days to finish this app.

This was quite a startling view of what being on their team must be like. Can do better in Chicago.

Withdrew from the process, and cannot recommend to anyone looking for a serious career building move.

Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online, call with internal recruiter, then call with hiring manager. Appreciated follow-up fairly soon after call (even though it was tho trek me that I was not a great match to job requirements)

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.