Cars.com Reviews

3.8
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter
Pros
Cons
  • "Working with car dealers can be rough(in 20 reviews)

• "Low pay, they want highly skilled employees but pay like they are hiring recent college grads(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Het"

Former Employee - Call Handler in Bristol, England, England

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Good wool environment and technology

Cons

No help provided when required

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kind folks, high energy environment in all areas of the company

Cons

Typically large corporation issues, siloing, bureaucracy. Not the worst in any category by a long shot but recognize what your choosing if you're coming from startup land

3. COVID-19

"What a shame"

2.0
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Cars.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company to start career with and develop skills which you can carry to your next opportunity.

Cons

Culture over years has diminished to point where employee moral is non existent. The business may be in trouble with increased debt and increased declining dealer count year over year. This combined with increased competition taking more and more marketshare is a recipe for continued layoffs and contraction.

Continue reading
  4. "Exceeded my expectations!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

So many companies claim that they have a good culture in interviews and on the surface, but CARS truly cares about each employee and embodies what it means to have an empowering company culture. Upper management is EXTREMELY accessible and involved in a positive way in your normal work day and the whole company has a common drive for success. The amount of recognition and shoutouts people get for hard work here is remarkable and constant (and ins't forced). CARS did an amazing job with a fully virtual new hire onboarding and training experience. I have never stepped foot in the office once; however, I have been able to excel in the job so quickly and that is due to the training and the way that they have made work from home so natural. If you're looking for a good virtual work experience, this is the place - they've absolutely killed it! From the moment I started working at CARS, there was already an open and ongoing conversation about what my next step would be. Management invests time and effort in your career development and wants you to succeed. Can't say enough good things!

Cons

Sometimes working with dealers can be a little disheartening, but if you take what you learn in training and keep a positive attitude, you truly can be successful and get good at the job.

5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Digital Media Representative

I worked at Cars.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a good place to get started and has a nice company culture.

Cons

Over the years the company has gone public and lost a lot of the values it used to have before being held to the standards it's investors require.

6. COVID-19

"Well established company, but with a startup feel"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cars.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been here for 6 years and I still enjoy this company as I did when I started and when everything was new and exciting. The company truly cares about their employees and invests in them in every way they can. We were one of the first companies to start working from home when Covid hit, and are still working from home for the safety of all of our employees. Not to mention, understandably our pay got cut by 10% for a few months in the early on of the pandemic, and they paid it back to us last month. This shows you how much they care about their people. There is a lot of support from leadership and direct managers. I work with some smart and humble people who are always ready to help. +Culture +People +Benefits +Product

Cons

None at this time other than things sometimes take too long to get done Need newer technology

7. "Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Product Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

great team members to work with and learn from

Cons

evolving the business growth to the industry shifts

8. COVID-19

"Amazing People and Culture Despite COVID"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership has been extremely supportive and understanding during COVID. When we all began working remotely back in March, I appreciated the continued trust and autonomy that management and leadership had in us to deliver results just as they had when we were in the office. With everything happening in the world, from social/political unrest to the pandemic, it was nice to see leadership acknowledging what was happening and the effects it had on us all. The culture has always been inviting, supportive, and highly collaborative -- I can say that hasn't changed since COVID hit.

Cons

Some teams are running lean. The work can be overwhelming and challenging at times, but having open and honest conversations with your manager or team about your work helps set realistic expectations.

9. "Great Product"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Wonderful people, strong technology, good reputation

Cons

Communication from management could be better, new product roll-outs sometimes unorganized

"Amazing work/life balance... not cutting edge tech"

Former Employee - Executive Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Truly amazing work life balance as the company is filled with great people who empathize and help their fellow employees out. It’s a solid crew across almost all sections of the various brands. And the office spaces are cutting edge and fun places to work within.

Cons

Many of the key decision makers are ‘No’ first and the Cars platform and its support are all focused on pushing to ‘keep the site running’ as opposed to ‘keep moving the site forward’. The technology of the Cars platform is incredibly antiquated and doesn’t allow for new ideas and new thoughts to become reality without a huge influx of $. The platform is one giant set of handcuffs that doesn’t allow for new ideas or new ways of thinking within the space. The intersection of cultures between Cars and Dealer Inspire is palpable. These cultures should be integrated but for some reason, the two entities are allowed (and encouraged I might add) to be pitted against each other in competition. It’s awkward at best and extremely toxic at the worst.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 487 Reviews