Debenhams Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Debenhams Interview Questions

Updated 12 Nov 2018

2.5

Customer Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Debenhams (Telephone, TX (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

it was a tele interview lady was nice but was in too hurry asked few questions then said they will ge back in couple of weeks but got email of sorry

Interview Questions

• asked why wanna work for them,what is customer service and forgot 3rd one   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Debenhams.

Interview

Had a phone interview which lasted around 15 minutes; I was asked about my availability and then why I wanted to work for Debenhams, what do I imagine the role involves, do I work well in a team, as well as some situational questions e.g. what would I do if a customer asked for something not in my department etc. Got through and was scheduled in for a 'meet and greet' to see if I was a fit for the store itself (Oxford Street). This was filling out forms and sorting out hours and availability, was then taken for a one-on-one interview in which I was asked why I wanted to work for Debenhams and why I would be good for the role. Told me they would be in touch soon and I got an official offer two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work for Debenhams?
      Why would I be be right for the role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Debenhams (London, England) in April 2015.

Interview

Short merch test and an hour discussions about it and my experience. General questions about experience and hob history. Really nice hr team and well organised meeting as well as very flexible with day and time. Very fast process -less than 1 week from 1st stage ,thru 2nd and the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Just said what i expected and it matched what they wanted.to offer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Debenhams (London, England) in January 2015.

Interview

Maths Test, Individual presentation, Group Task, 1-1 interview. It was a pleasant day and only 4 hours long. They're really friendly and as long as you tailor your research to debenhams and state how you can benefit the company you will be fine

Interview Questions

• personal strengths and weaknesses   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Debenhams.

Interview

Phone interview 10-15
    simple questions
    lovely people from HR
    I was nervous but they put me at easy
    very chatty woman
    be clever with words they type everything you say
    aye not bad tbh

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Debenhams (Sheffield, England) in August 2016.

Interview

The woman on the phone was really nice and put me at ease. I arranged my phone interview with them and had it a week after the initial call to arrange. It lasted 10 minutes. She typed what I was telling her. She gave me feedback afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Why Debenhams? Why this role? Why is visual merchandising important? What does good customer service mean? What makes good team work? Other than customer service, what other services to Debenhams offer? Other than customer service, what other duties are involved in this role? Your last job was (job), why did you leave this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Debenhams (Birmingham, England) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, the next day I got a call asking me to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was two days later and asked basic questions about the job role and why I wanted to work there, followed by some legal questions. At the end of the phone interview I was told straight away that I was successful and that she was impressed with my 'enthusiasm' for the job role. As it was for Assistant Merchandiser I kept waffling on about displays and making everything look nice but she gave me a tip to make sure I mention the manual work in the interview; such as pricing clothing and restocking.

My main interview was two days later. She already told me on the phone that it would be a group interview so I prepared by coming on here and on different sites to see what the interview would be like. It was nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be. We didn't have to pitch a sales product or go around the store like many people had. We started with an ice breaker which was just speaking to the person next to us (the woman next to me was an older woman who had lost her job at BHS, she was lovely and easy to talk to- I suggest if you are younger, find an older person to sit by and talk to especially if you are nervous cause they'll be more experienced!) After that we had to feed back to the group about the person and why they want the job.

The next activity was just putting a load of tasks in order within smaller groups. The tasks were just things that any employee might encounter on a daily basis and we had to put it in order of what we would do first. Everybody had different answers there was no 'correct' way, you just had to make sure you had solid reasons behind it. There were about 5 Debenhams staff in the room watching how we interacted.

After about 1 and a half hours (which sounds long but it goes quick), we were asked to sit back in the waiting area and called for our one to one interview. I was last to be interviewed, so it was about a 40 minute wait, but I didn't mind because the group part had relaxed me and I'd met some nice people. There were 3 or 4 interviewers taking one person at a time. (One interviewer per person). The woman I had didn't talk much in the group interview just stood there taking notes, so I was hoping she thought I'd done okay in the group one! She asked me legal questions and hours I was willing to work. I applied for night shifts but I found out it was more hours than I expected (but I went with it because it's only a Christmas Temp job and I really want to be a designer or visual merchandiser when i finish university). She then asked me similar questions to the phone interview questions, but a couple did stump me so watch out for the "How has recent technology changed the merchandiser job role" question. I started going on about online orders because I didn't understand the question, but then I clocked onto the fact she means things like scanners where you can just re-order stock with one button or online systems where you can see what is selling well etc. The other question was "How can we learn from our competitors" and I completely froze, stupidly saying that the competitors should learn from Debenhams. (I meant it as a bit of a joke but I think it came across like I was trying too hard, although she did smile so maybe I am overthinking it). In the end I said they should do some displays that are mix and match so customers can have a whole outfit in one place rather than going around the store looking through all the different brands to find an outfit. (I suggest you don't say this, I had no idea what I was saying and I don't think she did either!)

All in all it was an enjoyable experience. Quite a difficult process but it's worth it especially if you get the job! (The interview was only yesterday so I don't know if I have an offer yet)

Interview Questions

• How can be learn from our competitors?   Answer Question
    • What is the role of an assistant merchandiser?   Answer Question
    • How has recent technology changed the role of the assistant merchandiser?   Answer Question
    • How would you plan to integrate yourself into a new team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Debenhams (Glasgow, Scotland) in September 2016.

Interview

On line interview with quiz, telephone interview and one to one interview. The telephone interview lasted about 10 mins with some basic questions, Why do you want to work for Debenhams? Why do want to work as a merchandiser. The one to one interview was very relaxed with questions such as how has merchandising changed with regards to technology? I was also asked about salary expectations and told shifts would be varied. I havent heard from them yet but selected no offer although hopefully that wont be the case.

Interview Questions

• How do Debenhams compare with their competitors regarding merchandising?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Debenhams?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Debenhams in February 2016.

Interview

I was called five days after my online application to confirm my telephone interviewThe interviewer was good, he made sure I was comfortable and not scared. The interview was straight forward conformation of information I availed in my application, legality to work in the UK and age. and then the formal questions about role

Interview Questions

• i1. Why do you want to work at Debenhams ?
      2. What are you interested in the role?
      3. What do you understand by good customer service?
      4. Why is visual merchandise important ?
      5. Other than customer service, what other services does Debenhams offer?
      6. Other than customer service, what other duties are involved in the role?   1 Answer

Visual Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Debenhams in August 2016.

Interview

My interviewer made me feel at ease and the interview took a more casual approach. As part of the interview I had to give me visual merchandising opinion on the homewear section of the store, telling the interviewer what was good and what needed to be changed to help with product display.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.