Debenhams Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Debenhams CEO Sergio Bucher
Sergio Bucher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is a LOT of pressure on staff to open credit cards/accounts for customers that don't always understand what this means for them (in 56 reviews)

• Since minimum wage ( actually as soon as they knew it was increasing to (in 43 reviews)

1. "Good company"

Former Employee - Food Services
    Former Employee - Food Services

I worked at Debenhams part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, flexible hours, good management

Cons

No free food, store discount difficult to get

2. "Debenhams Restaurant"

Current Employee - Food Service Advisor in Carlisle, England
    Current Employee - Food Service Advisor in Carlisle, England

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair salary and good working hours. Large team allows flexible work times if required. Very friendly staff, and are taught new skills, such as barista work.

Cons

Large teams, especially around Christmas make it difficult to inform and coordinate everyone for certain tasks. Though this is easily solved via group meetings or organisation before shifts start.

Advice to Management

Try to listen to employees opinions and ensure positive comments outweigh negative to promote better workers. Too much negativity can sometimes bring spirits down. Also problems with staff should be dealt with effectively and in private.

3. "Like family"

I have been working at Debenhams full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Pay should reflect performance

Advice to Management

Performance management needed across the board

"An awful lot of variables will affect your working experience."

Current Employee - Bra Fitter
    Current Employee - Bra Fitter

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Debenhams for six years. By far the most enjoyable part of the job are your work colleagues, and most customers. The store I work at has a lot of long serving staff who are dedicated and are crucial to the smooth running of the branch.
    They could operate without a manager.

Cons

Since minimum wage ( actually as soon as they knew it was increasing to £7.50, so many months before) staff, upon leaving were not replaced.
    We operate on skeletal staff now and during holidays/sickness it’s putting unpresidented pressure on the few staff there.
    I work as a bra fitter, but recently did a shift where I was covering three separate departments. No supervision as it was supervisor and sales managers ‘day off’.
    If Debenhams can’t adequately staff their stores , when they pay minimum wage they shouldn’t be trading.........
    But from the CEO ( who won’t be involved and won’t get to know) as it goes down the ranks, and there’s a lot of those, ideals get distorted and egos, and beating each other’s targets take their toll on those sales advisers right at the bottom.
    Customers should never complain to the store manager. They should write/email the CEO. All the store manager cares about is getting his bonus for accounts that the till staff have opened. I’d really love to know how much an account is worth because they are fanatical about it. I’m not going to dwell on account opening simply because it shouldn’t exist - it makes staff and customers miserable, but mainly because it has no place in retail, something all other high street stores realised years ago.

Advice to Management

Those area managers who are saving on wages and beating targets are not anywhere near as good as they think they are. They do it the easy way. Sales figures would be far higher with more staff..... I don’t even know what my area manager looks like, and he won’t interact with shop floor staff. Treat your sales advisers with the respect they deserve . They hold the key to the success of your business. John Lewis seem to understand how important this is .

6. "Good job for part-time students"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Thurrock, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Thurrock, England

I worked at Debenhams part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good job for part-time students

Cons

Hard to change or book off shifts at times

7. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Debenhams part-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    Friendly staff

Cons

Managers not enough experience and bad attitude

Advice to Management

Better managers

8. "Temporary Sales Adviser Review"

I have been working at Debenhams part-time

Pros

Decent pay at the London stores, overtime readily available and decent benefits once probation is completed.

Cons

Unorganised, not flexible with hours despite being on a flexible contract, poor notice of shifts and profit focused culture.

9. "Debenhams"

I have been working at Debenhams part-time

Pros

50% of Cinema
    1 hour break

Cons

Pressure on getting debenhams accounts opened.

10. "Enjoyed my time here! Lots of opportunities to move around departments."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Debenhams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are diverse, some of the nicest and down to earth people I ever worked with.
    A pretty relaxed working environment.
    There are great opportunities for moving around different teams/depts.
    HQ location is great.

Cons

Although there are lots of opportunities to move around, there isn't many to be advanced in the current role, and pay rises happen rarely and if so you have to fight and voice it, there is ery little increase unless moving around to a different team - this is to get a fair increase.
    Efforts aren't recognised enough and so there can be a high turnover in younger employees that are working on their careers.
    Some employees have been working at the head office for 5-10 years+, if you're not that ambitious or looking to advance, it is a good place to work.
    Processes and procedures are outdated, because some of the senior /management and employees have been working there for such a long time, many are reluctant to grow with technological changes, which is a shame as there is much more potential to evolve and boost efficiency.

Advice to Management

Give and create more opportunities within teams so that they're able to advance their careers.

11. "A changing company unsure of it's direction"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Debenhams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team, supportive HR, trying to improve itself as a company in terms of it's service proposition.

Cons

Failing to balance workload with customer service, low wages in comparison to other retailers, lack of support from head office to achieve targets.

Advice to Management

The company want to focus on service, yet they continue to increase workload and cut payroll... Need to balance these if the company strategy is to be successful.