Elsevier Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 Sep 2018

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier in May 2016.

Interview

The interview went very smoothly. I was basically asked to explain some of my experience that I had on my resume. I was also asked to explain a little about myself and my interests.

Interview Questions

• Explain your exprience with __________? (It was a project in relation to the job)   1 Answer

23 Jul 2018 – Elsevier Rep

Thank you for your review and for accepting our offer.

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maryland Heights, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Elsevier (Maryland Heights, MO (US)).

Interview

Extremely long process with severe lack of communication throughout. I applied for a position and was invited for a phone interview a month later. Then I had an in person interview and it took a few weeks and me reaching out to them multiple times to find out they ended up hired internally. I respect a company that hires from within, but not a company who doesn’t communicate that to an external candidate who is waiting for a response. It’s a lack of common courtesy and I was disappointed to experience that after an otherwise ok interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of your most successful marketing projects.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

1) Received initial call from HR.
    2) Received follow up call from HR, indicating interest in interviewing.
    3) Received unscheduled phone screen call from developers on team. HR had scheduled internally, but not with me
    4) Did technical phone screen.
    5) Didn't hear anything for three weeks. Contacted person who recommended I apply, and then heard from manager that they wished to schedule an onsite interview.
    6) Prior to onsite, asked to complete online intelligence assessment - patterns, problem solving. Also, provided with code sample and asked to provide a written critique.
    7) Did onsite interview, lasted 2.5 hours. Included pair programming task. They assured me I'd hear back within 7 days.
    8) Did not hear back for 2.5 weeks, reached out again for final answer. Manager complained that he told HR to relay their decision to me. I was told I was not a good fit for their "team culture".

Interview Questions

• General interogration about Test Driven Development, Agile Processes, and finally, an hour long Paired Programming task.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier in October 2015.

Interview

Interview by panel. They gathered 13 people in a room and started firing out technical questions. It was kinda fun. Nothing special stuck out. It was just the team and two managers being casual.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is dependency Injection   1 Answer

23 Jul 2018 – Elsevier Rep

Thanks for your review.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

The day after I applied online for the position, I received an email from one of their Talent Acquisition managers. We agreed on a time for the first round phone interview. The completion of an online logic exam was required before the in-person interview. He was extremely pleasant and the interview went well (it was not technical, more about me, my studies, etc). He gave me two days to choose from for an in-person interview day at the Philly office. The interview day was long, but exciting. It was about 14 other candidates. We were given a topic for oral presentations about a week before the in-person interview. The day involved oral presentations, lunch, a tour, multiple interviews (at least 3 and the option to stay for optional interviews afterwards, none were group interviews), and some general conversation. Everyone was very welcoming. Some of the interviews were technical, some weren't. The next day, I got the call with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• What data structures do you know (was asked to describe them)? What IDE do you use? Write simple programs (in my case, Java).   1 Answer

20 Aug 2018 – Elsevier Rep

Thank you for your review.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Elsevier (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

A recruiter called me out of random at night and left a message. I attempted to call back multiple times and left messages. He never got back to me and ignored my message.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Elsevier.

Interview

3 steps - phone screen (behavioral), phone screen (technical), In-person (both technical and behavioral). Overall a good experience and not so formal. When I was interviewing they were on hiring spree and in middle of releases so I was made to wait for in-person after I had arrived, but that wasn't too bad.

Interview Questions

Elsevier Response

19 Sep 2018 – Elsevier Rep

Thank you for leaving a review.

Multimedia Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Elsevier (Atlanta, GA (US)) in June 2010.

Interview

I applied and got a call within a week. I then panel interviewed with the potential manager, director, and potential co-worker. Interview was pretty easy. Describe my job history and how I would fit in.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not really negotiation just that they wouldn't go over a certain amount.

20 Aug 2018 – Elsevier Rep

Thank you for your review.

Multimedia Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maryland Heights, MO (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (Maryland Heights, MO (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

Elsevier reached out to me out of the blue. I had done contract work for them several years earlier and they were looking to fill a position similar to what I had done. I am currently employed but agreed to a phone interview with their recruiter out of New York. The recruiter then scheduled me to interview in person with the multimedia department. The Director of this department is the one who originally contacted me. I interviewed with two individual hiring managers, one of which I had previously worked with. The interview went well and I was told several times that I was a very strong candidate and they were glad their boss had reached out to me. At the interview conclusion I was told they would be in contact shortly to set up a time for me to meet with their boss. Again, that was who originally contacted me. A week went by with no word so I followed up. The response was that things were moving slower than expected but they would be in touch soon. Another week went by with nothing. I sent another follow up with no response. Yet another week went by. I sent another email and again no response. Three weeks later and multiple attempts to contact them, I finally received an email from the recruiter in New York that simply said......Oh, sorry for the delay in responding. We have offered the position to someone else. Thanks for your time.... I attempted to call the person who originally reached out to me about for feedback about what happened and nothing. No response. No phone call, email or even a simple acknowledgment to my messages. It was very frustrating and disappointing to say the least. Extremely rude and unprofessional. They contacted me, not the other way around.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Elsevier (New York, NY (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

First a phone screen that was technical. Then face to face that was behavioral. Finally a face to face that was highly technical. A last and final interview was technical and was over the phone. They asked questions related to Apache , tomcat, web protocols, security, Dns , dkim, sharded systems, edge networks in slow last miles, ntp.

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize web services for customers with slow network access in other countries.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.