Explore Learning Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Explore Learning Interview Questions

Interviews at Explore Learning

2.9

Part-time Tutor Interview

Interview

Took about 3 hours in total. Started off just having a chat as a group - there were two others interviewing with me. We spent some time looking at their resources, then did a quick maths and english test and then had a one on one interview that lasted about 10/15 minutes. At the end we had a go tutoring the kids for about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• If there was a power outage at the centre, what activity would you organise so that the children were still learning and being engaged?   Answer Question

Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning.

Interview

I had to complete a simple paper test before the interview, then they brought me in and asked me a couple of questions about why I wanted the job. There was also a roleplay situation where one of the interviewers pretended to be a child and I had to teach her how to solve a simple maths question.

Academic Tutor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Explore Learning.

Interview

Started with a telephone interview to get to know me and ask questions about previous employment. If successful, you are invited to do a centre interview with one of the managers which involves a tutoring role play, scenario based questions and questions regarding CV.

Assistant Director Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning.

Interview

Started off by applying online. Had a telephone interview, then got invited to a centre interview where I met with the regional manager who asked me basic interview questions “Why Explore Learning?” “What I bring to Explore Learning?” Then got the opportunity to interact with the children which I really enjoyed! Then received a phone call a few later inviting me to an Assessment Day in Guildford the day started off with a intro the company. Then we went off into different groups as we had different activities at different times. We were told to prepare for a 5 minute presentation make sure you research the company values and what they’ve achieved etc. We also had to do a maths and English test which was fairly straight forward probably go on to bbc Bitesize and brush up on your maths. All in all was a really good day and enjoyed it and received a phone call a few days later telling me I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were in a centre and a customer came in but you said to a colleague you’d get a financial report over to them as they have a meeting and can’t get it done   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England).

Interview

Good communication before and after assessment day. Friendly staff. Varied activities throughout the day, with a tough business based group task at the end of the day.

They are keen on giving feedback throughout such as after a roleplay activity, and they analyse your reaction to this.

Questions were often scenario based, and concerned more with your own thoughts and opinions rather than past experiences.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a situation in which lots of staff called in sick and you had lots of students coming in with people booked in for a free trial.   Answer Question

Private Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Explore Learning.

Interview

Having applied with a CV and cover letter, I was invited for an interview. The interview consisted of a "group" activity of which I was the only person, a tour, a formal interview, a test and a chance to interact with the children.

I was asked to come in at a busy time and there were times I had to wait while the interviewer sorted other things. The actual process of interacting with the children is difficult as you're asked to try and make conversation with them whilst they're trying to do their work.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the computers all failed during a session?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in March 2020.

Interview

I applied online and was invited for a centre interview. The interview lasted almost 2 hours and I was shown around the centre, had a casual interview where I was asked basic interview style questions, completed a role play, received feedback and completed it again, and finally was able to spend 10/15 minutes with the kids at the end.

While I wasn't invited for the assessment day, I found the interview to be an extremely positive experience. The company seemed really dedicated to the educational service they're providing and while the experience made me sure that I do not want to work with children, the interview was enjoyable and the feedback you receive is very helpful.

I interviewed at the Newcastle centre and the centre director there named Chris was really a testament to the company success. His passion for his job really shone through and made the position seem like an exciting opportunity even though it wasn't for me.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your leadership style.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Explore Learning (London, England) in February 2020.

Interview

The assessment day down in Guilford was really productive, unlike other interviews, I felt really welcomed, less stressed and really enjoyed meeting the EL team. Prior to the interview, I felt well prepared as I had an email outlining what was happening on the day so I could plan in advance and know what to expect.

Interview Questions

• Why Explore Learning and not teaching?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England) in February 2020.

Interview

I found the assessment day enjoyable. All the recruitment staff were really friendly and put you at ease from the very start. The day started off with a presentation about the company and the role. We then had to do a basic maths and english test, a 1 to 1 interview and then another interview where we did a role play and a presentation about how we'd help EL achieve their goals as Assistant Director. After all of this we had a short group activity. They called me and offered me a job the next day.

Interview Questions

• What would you bring to the role?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning in February 2020.

Interview

Went for an interview at my nearest centre after applying online. The process of being interviewed felt strange and somewhat unprofessional to me. I was interviewed by two staff members in the main area of the centre as children and their parents were arriving. As such it was difficult to answer questions easily, as the setting was distracting and not helpful when trying to think and answer questions clearly. In addition one of the interviewers seemed very cold, bored and disinterested throughout the process, and I caught him frequently focused on other things during the interview, which seemed incredibly rude and unprofessional to me. The other interviewer was friendly and engaged however, and handled things much more competently and professionally overall.

The interview also involved a roleplay section, which went fine. The feedback I was given at the end of this section of the interview was useful and interesting, and seemed constructive to me. However, I noticed in feedback given during my rejection email that I was given the same feedback as I had been given at the interview, and criticised for not acting on this feedback, which seems strange as I was not given a chance to do so.

The final section was to interact with some of the children at the centre. To me this was both the best and worst part of the interview. As a trained primary school teacher I was excited to show my skills, and I always enjoy being able to spend time working to help children, which is why I was interested in this job originally. However, no specific instruction was given as to what to do, and given that the children were working at computers to answer quizzes it seemed very strange and uncomfortable to interrupt them when they didn't seem to need or want any help. In addition I noticed that I was not observed at all by the interviewers during this section, and that the staff working with the children seemed very disinterested and disengaged. All of this gave me concerns about the real nature and aims of the company, as answering pre-scripted questions on a computer while a staff member looks on disinterestedly doesn't seem like a good educational service to me. I noticed also that when subsequently given feedback for this section I was criticised for not building rapport with the children, despite nobody observing me during this time. I feel that it would have been much easier to demonstrate these skills given more specific direction than what essentially amounted to "go awkwardly talk to a group of children who are busy and understandably disinterested in talking to a stranger for no clear reason".

Overall the experience felt very odd, and quite unprofessional as I said. I would definitely count it as one of the worst interviews I've ever had. I would also reiterate what others have said here, that my impression was that this was mainly a sales role, and that despite claims made by the company genuine passion for education seems to be a low priority. While this may not be a problem for others, it would be helpful to be clearer about this when applying, as that was obviously my main interest given my background. For that reason, while I wouldn't discourage others from applying to work at Explore Learning necessarily, I would caution them to be clear about what the role really is before doing so, and to understand what is actually being looked for in the interview process.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.