Explore Learning Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Explore Learning Interview Questions

Interviews at Explore Learning

2.9

Graduate Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning in July 2014.

Interview

It was an in-depth process with an assessment day. I felt it was quite a good way of finding out more about the candidates.
    Felt that the feedback from the process wasn’t as strong as it could be.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in future   1 Answer

5 Jun 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review your interview experience that took place in 2014. We now provide feedback at every stage of the process for our graduate positions to help ensure candidates... More

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning.

Interview

So far I have had a phone interview and the next stage will be a face to face interview and then a recruitment day. The phone interview was relatively straight forward and relaxed. I would recommend researching the company's visions and values and considering the job role and what is required as they want to know how you would deal with certain situations which you may encounter in this role.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach your first few weeks in the Centre in a management role, where there will be many staff who have much more experience with the company?   Answer Question

12 Dec 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for providing feedback of your interview, I hope the rest of your experience continued to be a positive one.

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England) in August 2018.

Interview

The process took approximately 3 weeks from application to offer.

Personally I found the experience extremely positive, through both the centre interview and the assessment day I felt extremely welcomed and not put on edge whatsoever. The interviewers aren't trying to catch you out at all, they want you to get the job.

Centre interview
    -tour
    -discussing the centre and position
    -interview
    -role play based on a gym membership

Assessment Day
    -Arrival with drinks and snacks
    -Brief history of the company
    -Information regarding the position and progression through the company
    -Interview 1 (Scenario Questions)
    -Maths and English test
    -Interview 2 (Role Play)
    LUNCH
    - group activity

End of Day

The day itself was extremely fun, and the best part is that you aren't in competition with any of the other candidates as you are all being interviewed for different centres.

EL called me the next day to tell me I had got the job, but there was no opening near me.

The only downfall is that Explore Learning is extremely popular and you can be waiting a long time to be placed in some regions, so despite getting the job, it can be disheartening having to wait so long.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

12 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your application and interview experience. I am pleased to read the overall experience was positive - congratulations on being offered the role. I hope you don't have to wait a... More

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (London, England).

Interview

After submitting my online application, there was a short phone interview. It was brief and was just a taster into the life of an Assistant Director and a chance for the company to get to know me. After that I was invited into a centre interview, which for me was amazing. It was here that I was able to really understand what working at Explore Learning would entail, the environment and the relationship between the centre director and the assistant directors was motivating as it really showed me that the values they promote are an actual part of their everyday lives. After this, I was invite to an assessment day, I was mostly nervous about this aspect as I had never attended an assessment day before, but as soon as I walked in the atmosphere and team where so welcoming it was easy to feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

12 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience of the Assistant Director application and interview process. It is great that you found the centre interview amazing, and I will make sure I pass on your comments... More

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview process is in a number of stages including: an online application, telephone interview, centre interview and finally the assessment day down in their HQ in Guildford. The online application is fairly straight forward. I skipped the telephone interview stage but the centre interview was both relaxing and intense. Relaxing in that the people interviewing you were very friendly but intense in that you are assessed by a role play activity and on your interaction with the children. However, the agenda you are sent before the centre interview is very detailed and outlines the whole process. It even gives some suggested questions to prep for! The assessment day is quite full on but again people were really friendly. They are looking more at your enthusiasm and personality because they can teach the required skills. In total there were 15 people applying for the jobs but interestingly it's not a case of competing with others for positions as people can apply for different centres all over the UK. So overall the atmosphere is very friendly between applicants. Also, they take you out (and pay) for lunch to Zizzis but do be warned the interviewers will be watching you at lunch too!

Interview Questions

• How would I feel about waiting for a position to come up on one of my chosen centres?   Answer Question

15 Oct 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience - it is great that you had a positive experience. Congratulations on being offered the position, and welcome to the Explore family!

Application

Interview

Online application:
    This application consists of your general details, start dates, locations etc. You also have to answer two short questions, the first being about why you want the role and the second regarding what skills and experiences you can bring to the team.

Telephone interview:
    I had a telephone interview as I was already a tutor at Explore Learning. Candidates coming from outside of Explore have to attend an in-centre interview which involves having a look around the centre, interacting with the children and a role play activity selling a gym membership. My telephone interview involved questions about logistics and start dates, as well as a number of scenario based questions, for example "A tutor is showing a negative attitude to children in his zone. What do you do?"

Assessment day:
    This was a really enjoyable experience to get to know the team in HQ and also a number of other excited candidates! The day was full-on and intense, but the team did a great job of not making it feel intense or scary when we were there. The day consisted of the following:
    - Presentation by HQ team about the company, the role and what the day would involve
    - Interview 1, which was about skills and experiences and logistics. I was asked a few scenario based questions, including "How would you motivate staff to make sure targets are met if you were halfway through the month and behind targets?", as well as questions like "What is the magic ingredient which makes Explore work?"
    - Interview 2, which involved a role play and a presentation about yourself. The role play was about getting someone to sign up to a free trial with Explore. Make sure you really get to know the customer and create demand at the end. I had booked trials in real life before but failed to get a trial booked in the role play as I didn't create enough demand (e.g. "I only have two slots this weekend if you're interested in coming"). The presentation was a 'Personal Compass' which involved discussing where I had come from, where I was going, what makes me great and what makes me happy. This was straightforward enough and I was asked a few questions about myself at the end.
    - Maths and literacy task. Don't stress about this! It is all simple stuff at primary/secondary school level.
    - Lunch at Zizzi. The team took us all for lunch at Zizzi and this was lovely! We all took some time to get to know each other more and the HQ team spread themselves amongst us at the table. Just be sure to get involved with conversations and don't say or do anything inappropriate!
    - Group activity. We were split into small groups and had 15 minutes to think of a plan to ensure targets are met in a slow-growth month. Then we had to present this back to the team. Make sure you speak equal amounts and really consider any flaws in your plan which you can address in the discussion after.

My assessment day was on the Friday and I received a call offering me the position on the following Monday morning! I am really excited to progress my career within Explore Learning.

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate staff to ensure targets are met?   Answer Question
    • What can you bring to the team?   Answer Question
    • You are the only member of the management team in on a weekend and one of your two tutors coming in at 10am calls in sick at 9:30am. What do you do?   Answer Question

9 Oct 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your lovely feedback. Congratulations on your promotion from Tutor to Assistant Director and all the best for your continued Explore career!

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Explore Learning in September 2018.

Interview

Jumped straight in with a centre interview without having a phone interview as some people have reported. The centre interview was nice and nothing to worry about- a little tour and chat with the CD and AD before answering some interview questions. These were really based on what I was already saying or what was relevant to me, just be chatty and don’t get bogged down with worrying what the questions might be!
    Role play: they know you’ll be nervous about this so they do try to be as nice as possible! The main thing is to build rapport and to get to know what they NEED. Don’t be bogged down with blindly ‘selling.’ Get to know them and tailor the chat! But just don’t worry if it doesn’t go perfectly- they aren’t looking for the finished article.

Assessment day:
    I had a LOVELY day! Honestly everyone is lovely from the off set and it’s a very chilled atmosphere, no ones in competition! The presentation is just a conversation starter and nothing to worry about. The interview is a little more difficult and does ask some scenario questions- just stick to your guns and don’t be swayed by the interviewer. Try to bring in your relevant experience and you’ll be fine.
    Maths and English test; super easy, don’t worry. Maths wouldn’t be my fav subject but it wasn’t a concern at all!
    Lunch: zizzis!! Lovely chance to chat to everyone
    Group task: this is really short and felt a little odd after lunch. We did the task for 20 mins and then went home which meant we didn’t get to say goodbye to the other half of the group. The task wasn’t my fav bit of the day just because it was hard to know exactly what to do (it was relevant to explore and your role as an AD) but just be confident and you’ll be fine. It’s very much about how you function as a team so be wary of that.

Everyone says the process is really nice and that everyone’s friendly but it’s definitely true! Try to have fun with it because this is definitely one of the nicer interview experiences and really encourages you to be yourself!

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate your team to reach their target before the end of the month?   Answer Question

9 Oct 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your feedback - it's great that you had a lovely day! Congratulations for being offered the job and welcome to the Explore family.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Birmingham, England) in September 2018.

Interview

Started with a tour of the centre, followed by the interview with typical interview question, a role play in which you had to sell a gym membership and finally tutoring the children for approximately 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How have you shown leadership skills?
      If you had a bad day what would keep you going?   Answer Question

12 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your interview experience. All the best in your search for a suitable career.

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England) in June 2018.

Interview

I first applied online and answered two questions about my interest in the company. A couple of days later I was asked to book a phone interview, which took place two weeks later. The phone interview lasted about 25 minutes and was partly an informal chat, but also a way of gauging enthusiasm. I was also asked a couple of scenario based questions, and a little about my background. I would recommend just staying enthusiastic and engaged! I was told immediately at the end of the conversation that I had made it to the next stage. The next stage was a centre interview, which took place three days after my phone interview. I chose my five closest centres to visit and got my fourth choice. The centre interview was really easy going. The only negative was that they didn't seem prepared for my arrival and I had to wait. First there was a tour of the centre and a chance to ask questions. After this the centre and assistant director went over my CV and past experience- a typical interview. Just sell yourself and be confident. Afterwards, we did a roleplay which involved trying to get someone to sign up to a gym membership. That was actually really fun and not as stressful as I had feared. You get feedback and then another chance. Listen to the feedback and at least try to get details of the "client". As long as you're confident, engaging, care about who you're speaking to, and respond to constructive criticism, you'll be fine. The last part was twenty minutes helping the kids with their work. You get feedback halfway so again, listen and respond! It was nice seeing the children in action and I learned more about how EL works. I found out the next day that I made it to the final stage of the application process, the assessment day in Guildford. You really have to be motivated about this job because it's a long and expensive trip, although at least you get a great lunch paid for you (at Zizzi's). You're presented with info on the company, you meet everyone at the head office, and you're told that you don't have to compete with other candidates as you're all applying to different centres. The day went as follows: one on one interview (be serious as this is the formal interview) a roleplay and a presentation of yourself (don't stress about the role play. The most important thing seemed to be taking feedback on the chin and not getting upset). Then you have a simple maths and English test (primary school level). Lunch is awesome, but is still part of the interview process so don't let your hair down too much. Then there's a group task to finish the day which my group didn't feel too confident about... But can't have gone too bad, as I found out the very next day that I had been offered the position. Overall it wasn't a difficult process- just long. My advice would be to remember that they're looking for reasons to hire you, not reasons not to hire you. Remember the company values, sell yourself... And enjoy yourself! Everyone is really lovely and welcoming and it's a fun and educating process.

Interview Questions

• What steps would you take if you didn't have a personal/good connection with a colleague?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got my first choice of centre and chose my own starting date. They really cared about making sure I made the right decision for me.

15 Oct 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your experience. It is great you had a positive experience and congratulations on being offered the role! Apologies the centre didn't appear prepared for you. They often have... More

Assistant Director Interview

Interview

After submitting a standard online application I received an email within 2 weeks to say I was successful and to go in for my first face to face interview.
    The interview involved a tour of the centre, a standard interview, role play and time to interact with the kids.
    I was then invited to an interview down at Head Office which I unfortunately was unable to attend.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you can contribute to our company values?   Answer Question

25 Feb 2019 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience of the application process. I am sorry to read you were unable to attend the assessment day at our Head Office. If you would like to discuss this further and are... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.