Explore Learning Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 March 2019

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be hard to find the correct work life balance" (in 16 reviews)

• "Looking at the reviews on Glassdoor, a strong theme is about working hours" (in 26 reviews)

1. "A rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Tutor in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Tutor in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely rewarding seeing children progress in their education
    We get to know every child as an individual
    We help to build confident, fearless learners who are hungry for knowledge

Cons

Can be a difficult job at times, but that is to be expected when working with children at times

Advice to Management

Keep spreading the word of explore to help find more tutors as recruitment appears to be a constant issue with many centres being understaffed on a regular basis

5 Mar 2019 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience as a Tutor in Birmingham. It is fantastic to read you enjoy the role so much! I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the relevant teams. We will keep spreading... More

2. "Excellent company"

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time

Pros

friendly people with excellent training and development opportunities

Cons

Long working hours often after 8pm

3. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Tutor in Sheffield, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really friendly environment and you get to make a difference to lots of children. Really flexible working hours. Management are lovely and always listen to suggestions from employees

Cons

Pay is not that much when you just start

4. "Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice environment. lovely people who work with you. flexible hours (ideal for students)

Cons

low pay especially at ages 17-21

5. "A great grad job"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Finance in London, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Finance in London, England

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personal development, internal career progression

Cons

Abnormal working hours, heavy sales emphasis, inexperienced staff

6. "Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Tutor/Session Supervisor in London, England
    Current Employee - Tutor/Session Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve been a tutor for nearly 4 years and a session supervisor for over a year and a half. You really do grow to bond with your children because Explore is such a positive learning environment. This is a unique feature of it. Building rapport with children gives someone who enjoys working with children genuine joy.
    You learn about the business, sales and retention.

Cons

There is a very large turnover with the managers. This can be hard because what you learn and techniques you adopt from one manager who then leaves completely changes everything as new managers want everything run differently.
    Pay is pretty rubbish but you do get a pay review once a year - the better tutor you are the more it increases.
    Session Supervisor- you only get 50p more than what you would normally earn. Pretty silly because you are asked to emcompass the manager role - e.g/ book and HOLD trials which can lead to sign ups and new members but no record of this achievement and no reflection in pay.
    Trainings can become repetitive when you have been there for over 2 years.
    When you first start, without proper training, you will fall behind. I cannot stress the importance of having great management.

Advice to Management

Remember the tutors are important. We are directly involved with the children’s progress through our active tutoring. The training that managers give to tutors needs to be more relevant. Show the research to emphasise how we can best teach children.

Session supervisor pay needs work - 50p more than usual wage is ridiculous for the added responsibility.

7. "Perfect graduate role if you have a passion for education and the desire to grow a business"

Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main pro is the variety of the role. Every day is different and you are rarely bored.

The responsibility is great for personal development and will open up many doors career wise.

The training and personal development it offers is great. I wish someone recorded the sales role-play I did at my interview because how far I’ve come in just over 6 months is insane. I now would feel confident to train someone else in sales, whereas I had had no sales background at all before I started.

Success is measurable and rewarded which is very motivating and is what makes the job enjoyable. Meeting targets is exciting, however obviously on the flip side it can be frustrating if you are putting in the effort but the numbers aren’t matching up as the RM/ HO won’t be able to see how hard you’re working.

Career progression is offered and encouraged. You could become a CD in a year if you put your mind to it. I can’t think of many other jobs that would give you that much responsibility so soon after you graduate. Being a CD is like having your own business - of course there are HO standards and targets to be met, but a lot of decisions are up to you, e.g. who you hire, how you spend your time.

Most of the parents are absolute dreams and really look to you for advice if you showcase your educational credibility.

It is great to build bonds with so many children. You will often be more fun than their school teachers so they really look forward to seeing you and that is rewarding.

The company has well-being as a priority. There are lots of social events.

There are so many inspirational people working for the company. I have had poor managers in my previous jobs, so it is nice to have managers that are well liked so you can actually learn from their approach.

The main thing that I enjoy about the role that I didn’t know/expect before joining is actually tailoring what we offer and making recommendations to suit a family’s needs. I did not think I’d enjoy the sales aspect of the role as there are negative connotations to it. I still would not enjoy selling something like broadband, but with this, it is not just selling a set product, the membership is flexible so that you can create an individual plan for each child, and make recommendations which are often very well received; parents are often very impressed and grateful for what we offer and how we can tailor to their individual needs.

Cons

The hours are often cited as a con but the company is very transparent about this when you join. I do not mind the hours as I enjoy the job. I never find myself looking at the clock waiting to leave. In fact, if anything, I wish time would go slower so I would have more time to do things. On that note, as there are so many aspects to the role, sometimes when things are busy you can feel a bit like ‘jack of all trades, master of none’.

As the centre is open 7 days per week it can be hard to switch off...I sometimes find myself thinking about what is going on in centre on my days off.

Advice to Management

Continue to put things into place to reduce AD churn.

5 Mar 2019 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback about your experience as an Assistant Director at Explore Learning. It is wonderful to read how much you enjoy the variety of the role... More

8. "Excellent company for both professional and personal development."

Current Employee - Regional Support Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Regional Support Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Explore Learning is a company that is wholly dedicated to investing time and resources in their employees. I have a manager who is an excellent role model and is incredibly passionate about the company and in developing me as a manager. Aside from my professional development my manager really cares about my personal wellbeing. I know I have grown so much in confidence and resilience working for Explore Learning and I now have a whole new set of transferable skills. It is so rewarding and enjoyable to work with likeminded people and to be able to see the impact we can make on children’s learning. Explore Learning’s visions and values feed into all the activities that we do and to have fun and learn new skills along the way just seems like a bonus.

Cons

The hours that you work are long and jam packed so can be tiring. For a job that I am so passionate about and is as rewarding as Explore Learning I would never change it for a boring 9-5 office job.

5 Mar 2019 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Explore Learning. It sounds like you have an amazing line manager who has help ensure you develop so many skills. Thank you for all your hard... More

9. "Tutor"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Able to prepare and deliver additional content classes which can be fun.

Gain valuable experience working with children.

Opportunity to progress on to Assistant Director role.

Cons

Low wage.

No fixed shifts - shifts are allocated based on your availability.

Poor quality induction training.

Poor communication from managers led to confusion and errors.

Advice to Management

Offer better incentives and training and development to new employees.

10. "Assistant Director"

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time

Pros

- Everyone at explore is so enthusiastic and positive; I challenge you to spend a day with us without smiling!
    - There is such a great support network, not just in your centre or just your region, but also across the whole company.
    - It is a unique opportunity to work with children in an educational setting outside of school. Because members are mixed up, you get to work with a wider range of children than you probably would in school.
    - Everyone is proud to be a part of the company, We just came 2nd (again!) in The Times 25 Best Big Companies which is super exciting!
    - As a new AD I can say that I have been welcomed by all and that there is a good balance of training by self-study and on-the-job-training.
    - I think the honesty about the demands of the role all the way through the process is really important as it sets the correct expectations.
    - Feedback is essential and my fellow managers have really taken the time to get to know me and my learning style so that I can progress in the best way possible.
    - It's really great to chat to parents and build that rapport. It makes the children's experience more tailored and more valuable.
    - You DO NOT take work home.
    - The rotas mean that you get one weekday off per week, which for me is really useful to attend appointments etc that don't always happen on a weekend day.

Cons

- If any, working hours could be better, but that's something you accept before going into the role.

25 Feb 2019 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for the feedback you have shared about your experience as an Assistant Director. I am so pleased to read how much you love the role and how proud you are to work for Explore Learning. It... More