Explore Learning Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 5 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great job that balances working with children with running a business" (in 26 reviews)

• "Explore learning is a very welcoming and friendly place to work" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life Balance and Working hours" (in 12 reviews)

• "Working hours are only unbearable when you have to work extra days" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Tutor"

I worked at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Money. Working hours. Easy job.

Cons

Children can be very disobedient. Management. Holidays.

25 Jun 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your time working as a tutor at Explore. All the best for your future career.

2. "A culture you can't beat!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked for Explore since I graduated, I couldn't have found a company more welcoming, supportive and encouraging. From day one they want you to succeed, and the training and development really allows you to progress!

Cons

Would like to see more centre launches outside of London

11 Jul 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review your time at Explore Learning! It is great to read you love the unique Explore culture and have progressed during your time with us. I will pass on your feedback... More

3. "Assistant Director"

Current Employee - Assistant Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such a beautiful company to be a part of. Everyone really has this drive for providing the best service to our families and our visions and values really do motivate you on your day to day tasks.

Experience in so many different roles and activities.

Extensive training whether it’s in centre or beyond.

Great rewards and recognition schemes by the company. Such lovely training days organised and great staff party’s! You meet so many people and really do make friends for life.

Working in centre you build such great relationships with families. It is my favourite part of the job. I was never that person who really would have been “explore” as they say, but I have now really fallen in love with the company and now am due to progress to CD soon.

Great progression opportunities- if you want it! You can push yourself and really learn so so much whether it’s for this role or a future career!

Great bonuses if you meet targets and good support with expenses and things like that!

Cons

Working hours do take a long time to adjust too

I think that once you get to a CD level the RM does not really review their management skills. I find that some ADs are blessed to have phenomenal CD’s (your line manager) who really embody what the company desire in a CD. However some do not have this. While many CD’s are able to hold a great formal training or be great with centre growth, this AD churn is really driven by how our CDs micromanage us. I think many CDs have a retheroic which is very “this is my centre” or “who cares what my RM thinks he or she is only down twice a month”- this leaves the CD not really held accountable. While it is tricky for the RM to do so I think there needs to be a clearer pathway between the ADs and the RM to ensure that the CD is being held accountable.

Advice to Management

Since working in the company I know some things are so tricky to do. But i do think that there really needs to be a more dialogue between the ADs and the RM. because while feedback is always encouraged as I’m sure you can imagine it is daunting to give feedback to your CD- particularly as it is such small teams and they often just assure you this is their job.
    I think that it’s tricky because the whole company delegates such autonomy to a CD And I really like the idea of it particularly as I am about to take over my future centre. However, there needs to be checking points within the autonomy and a CD must be encouraged to seek feedback regularly from ADs and not assume an AD will always feel comfortable to give the feedback on their own initiative.

Micromanaging is tough but I hope the company can crack this as this will definitely decrease the AD churn and in effect CD churn- as I’m sure this may all apply with the CD to RM relationship.

4 Jul 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your role at Explore. It is great to read how much you enjoy the role! I am sorry to hear you have had some issues with micromanaging... More

4. "Tutor"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

A very friendly work environment

Cons

Can get quite tiring and repetitive

2 Jul 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your role as a tutor at Explore. Do speak to your line manager or our head office HR team if you would like to discuss anything further. All the best for your continued time as a... More

5. "Part Time Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England
    Current Employee - Tutor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are very flexible. The managers try their best to make sure everyone is trained, and there is regular training. There is opportunity for other colleagues to pick up / swap shifts easily. Very convenient whilst working at university. It is really fun working with children. You learn to develop a lot of skills whilst working at explore and it is very beneficial if you want to go on to work in teaching or with children.

Cons

The pay is a little basic. In terms of the amount of work that is required I would say a higher pay is needed.

Advice to Management

Increase Pay

19 Jun 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your experience as a tutor at Explore. It is great to read you find the role so flexible around your study, and have lots of fun working with the children. I am also pleased that... More

6. "A job where every day is different and you feel like you really can make a difference"

Pros

- rewarding
    - company is very driven by staff engagement
    - incredible training scheme
    - lots of responsibility early on
    - monthly and quarterly bonuses

Cons

- hours and working weekends

19 Jun 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your experience of working at Explore. I'm so pleased that you find the role so rewarding and have benefitted from the incredible training. I hope you have adapted to the working... More

7. "Being a tutor with Explore is pretty awesome"

Current Employee - Tutor in London, England
    Current Employee - Tutor in London, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Really Great interacting with the kids, very rewarding
    - Fantastic community feel at my Wembley Centre
    - Lots of room for and encouragement of growth
    - Very positive and upbuilding atmosphere
    - Very regular appraisals with targets for growth

Cons

- Sometimes during holidays you can be asked to be asked if you would leave early, which sucks
    - If you don't like kids then it's obviously not for you...

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have social budgets scale with the size of the centre, some centres have significantly more staff but the same social budget as smaller centres.

19 Jun 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks so much for your feedback. It is great to read how fantastic it is to work at the Wembley centre! I will make sure I pass on your feedback to the centre and also the team responsible for... More

8. "Tutor for four years"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Flexible hours and fun kids.

Cons

Can be difficult at busy times, and parents can be difficult.

2 Jul 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your experience of tutoring at Explore. It's great to read you find the role fun. Please do speak with your line manager if you would like support managing any situations with... More

9. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Explore Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Hours are great when you are an A level/uni student
    - The role is so varied - training with teaching, managing, sales, marketing etc. so valuable when you graduate and are looking for a full time role!
    - Its so much fun to work with the kids/families/other tutors
    - Lot of responsibility

Cons

- can be very stressful during peak times
    - Its not for everyone - you need to be good under pressure/have a genuine love for working with children!!

Advice to Management

You seem to focus a lot on sales/new members - very business focused.

I worked for the company for over four years and it look you a long while for senior managers to start listening to what very good tutors were asking to change to be able to do their jobs right - more training/less emphasis on session notes/less pressure to get sessions done quickly so the next person could sit down - there needs to be more of a look into how sessions can be done right and not just quickly - more focus into how to create a better experience for your current members rather than just bringing in new ones! More emphasis on quality over quantity!

Directors should have a better understanding into what tutoring for 4 hours straight during peak times is like - A few have no idea the pressures you can be placed under.

25 Jun 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review! It is great to read that the working hours were great to fit around your studies and that you enjoyed the variety of the role. Thank you for your suggestions too - we are... More

10. "Looks good on paper"

Former Employee - Tutor in London, England
    Former Employee - Tutor in London, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic management team
    Small team means you build great relationships with co-workers
    Very flexible shifts
    Seeing the progress in a handful of children

Cons

The concept of explore learning looks great on paper - building fearless learners by rewarding them for good learning habits instead of achievements. But in reality the tutors are over stretched and the reward system just goes down the drain.

You have a zone of 6 children ranging from 4 to 14 years old all doing different 15 minute slots of work for 1 hour. This means that each child should get about 10 minutes of your time. However, within that time, you have to write session notes on each child; something they’ve done in maths, something they’ve done in English and how they’ve met their fearless learning goal for the day. You also have to be assessing each child for how they’ve met each of their 4 fearless learning habits. To make these as detailed as is expected requires at least 5 of those 10 minutes per child. And as for the fearless learning habits, they went straight out the window because it was impossible to assess them for meeting them on top of writing about them; they got all 4 if they worked hard and maybe 3 if they didn’t.

It seemed like the session notes were of much higher importance than the tutoring since that’s what the parents would see and keep and that’s what they were going to be impressed by. Any feedback I received was always about the session notes and how they could be improved; meaning I basically ignored the children as much as possible to work on the session notes.

If you have even 1 difficult child, it drains your 10 minutes from the other children who are actually getting on with their work meaning I could go whole sessions without even speaking to a studious child who would’ve appreciated my help to ensure a mis-behaving child wasn’t distracting the other kids.

Lastly, the pay was absolutely ridiculous. Just above minimum wage for a highly skilled, stressful and demanding job. You get more money working at Tesco’s for a lot less stress. The best reward I got was compereing and being able to sign out children i’d tutored because the pay sure as hell wasn’t rewarding.

Advice to Management

Better Pay
    Smaller zones of 4 children so you can actually reward them based on the fearless four
    Let all tutors compere and sign out the children they’ve tutored so tutors can share their pride in the children with their parents. Then tutors won’t have to write such detailed notes because they will know exactly what their children worked on.
    Stop catering for highly SEN children because it’s not fair on the other children or have 2 SEN children per tutor.

10 Jul 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your detailed feedback. It is great to read you worked with a great team. I am sorry to hear filling in the new session notes has been tricky. I know they have been simplified recently... More