Explore Learning Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 8 December 2018

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Working hours are only unbearable when you have to work extra days" (in 24 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance and Working hours" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Perfect job for educating and business experience."

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building bonds with children and families, as I have progressed I have found that families begin to trust you as much as the managerial staff and they really value your help!
    Lots of training and development opportunities.
    Decent pay (e.g. compared to retail) with yearly appraisals.
    Always something to to (if you look for it! A lot of the tutors, especially those who don't have additional content, rarely find themselves jobs to do when its quiet, this is weird as there are always jobs to do!)
    Great communication among staff! We email eachother for shift cover and what not and its a great system at my centre!

Education and Sales! More so for the AD or CD role, but even as a tutor you can get involved with the business side of things and help with sales in your centre as well as the tutoring. For me this was perfect as I adore educating but also have a passion for business and admin. Originally I was going to become a primary school teacher but working towards the AD role means I can also work with admin and sales and the business side of things that I also LOVE!

Cons

Lots of staff turnover- particularly at summer time: a lot of the tutors are students that, when they move on to university they leave the centre, this past summer we lost half of our tutors! This meant that we got a lot of new staff, and while training is great, some of the newer tutors don't always handle the role as well at the start.
    New tutors not being respectful of current tutors- there have been a few times where newer tutors have undermined some of the older tutors in front of parents and children, this happens a lot at the gate where they will interrupt you talking to the parents, despite them not being the compere.

My regional manager was very flakey.

PAY- I am looking to advance to the AD position soon, as I love my job so much and its exactly what I want to do after finishing my degree. However, I will technically be earning less per hour as a starting AD role than I currently earn now.

Advice to Management

For experienced tutors advancing to the AD position perhaps offer a higher starting salary so they are not taking a loss (or as much as a loss!). This could also improve the staff turnover and possibly increase internal promotions and really promote the role for those grade 5 tutors!

28 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience as a tutor at Explore. It is great to read how much you have loved working as a tutor, and you are looking to advance to the AD position. We... More

2. "Part time Tutor"

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Abbey Wood, England
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Abbey Wood, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The job offers great flexibility for students
    - Helping the kids helps you recognise your weakness i.e communication, leadership and time management
    - The companies training really helps you to improve how you deliver the service
     and it helps you build transferable skills.

Cons

- Not enough time to do everything
    - Tutoring 6 children at a time on a rolling basis can be tiresome in busy periods and affects the service provided
    - The pay is not the best at first, it improves after 6 months - still not very high but manageable.

Advice to Management

- Work on limiting the number of members in the centre a bit more.

3. "Working as a Part Time Tutor"

I worked at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

The children, flexible hours, management team for my location was great

Cons

Pay is low, what is being taught can be tedious and repetitive

4. "Great place to work whilst studying at college/university"

Current Employee - Tutor in London, England
    Current Employee - Tutor in London, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive managers and staff
    Appraisal reviews every 6 months
    Pay rise every year depending on performance
    Everyday is different

Cons

Not many, maybe weekend work but that's the same with a lot of part-time work and can be expected.

5. "Tutor Explore Learning"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Great team of like minded individuals.
    Rewarding work teaching children.
    Variable hour scheme.

Cons

With a young team it can be tricky to manage the center on busy days.
    Pay scale can take time to increase (only changes in April).

Advice to Management

Be faster with increasing tutor roles. Boredom comes from repetition and variation in the job is welcomed. Show tutors how to gain more skills earlier in the job.

27 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your experience of tutoring at Explore. I will make sure I pass on all of your feedback. It looks like you are still a tutor? If you haven't already, I would recommend talking to... More

6. "Great company"

I worked at Explore Learning full-time

Pros

- Flexible
    - Friendly staff
    - Great experience to start career in education

Cons

- Very broad so can be difficult to specialise in one skill

27 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience working at Explore. It is great to read you found the staff friendly and the role flexible. All the best for the future.

7. "Tutor"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Friendly good team to work with

Cons

Not great pay especially at start

20 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your experience of tutoring at Explore and thanks for making a difference as a tutor! I'll make sure I pass on your feedback.

"Assistant Director role from Hell."

Current Employee - Assistant Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in London, England

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team when it is a full management team.
    Great social events when planned.
    Understanding school curriculum on a very basic level.

Cons

Unfortunately there is far more cons than pros. In my opinion I went in to this role with slight rose tinted glasses, I believed it would be a fantastic opportunity to actually understand education/teaching and how we can actively help families of all backgrounds. This role is SALES, SALES and more SALES. You are given huge unrealistic targets to meet and fortunately the centre I was in was pretty much picking up the slack of other centres within the region! Were we given the recognition? Absolutely not. Every week would be the dreaded conference call, whereby everyone would get a shout out aside from your own team. It’s soul destroying - as dramatic as that sounds. When you are doing just under 50 hours a week, you can’t not be invested with your own performance/team. I am such a huge advocate of wellbeing, mental health and would always advice my own tutors/management team to take rest when they were feeling run down. However, when it is such a small team of 3, when someone goes sick/takes holiday you are drowning with the work load. The RM/head office team are completely in their own bubble, barking orders via email/phone calls - to check in, know why you haven’t hit your targets and your plan of action going forward. You’re made to feel so worthless. Sickness and well being is supposedly an important aspect to explore learning but when YOU have sickness/concern you are treated horrifically, hounded to know when you will next be in. It’s quite sad to hear how unhappy so many people are within this role on trainings/social events - yet nothing is being done about it? It seems the AD role is branched out to made new shiny graduates, as they are desperate to be successful and in my opinion, explore learning take completely advantage of that - LONG HOURS, HORRIFIC PAY, WEEKEND WORK, 6/7 DAY WEEKS. You should be looking out for this young people today, not just using them as a prop in your centres.
    Most AD’s know absolutely nothing about education/curriculum - you’re made to feel like you’re blagging and winging it to this families! The same families that cannot even afford the service to start with, but are unaware they’re giving their money to unknowledgeable people. I understand most work and training ‘is done on the job’, but how are we meant to have time to learn about this curriculum, when we are meant to be hitting targets, parent engagement, up to 10 back to back meetings in morning and then again in the evening. I understand you have Prodecco, but this is such an outdated way of training - unless you have a very hands on centre Director you know full well that these modules are not being completed to a great standard.
    I managed in 4 separate centres and in ALL centres there was multiple relationships happening amongst tutor teams and management. I know this cannot not be controlled, but it’s hard enough to cater for everyone’s need in a professional manner without the issue of ‘relationships’ in a work place.

Advice to Management

There is such a barrier between head office and in centre employees - create something other than AA day! It really isn’t enough. Think of introducing a forth manager, all this pressure on 3 people are really not on.

9. "Interesting job"

I worked at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Working with the Children and seeing them progress.
    Getting involved with the charity side and building strong bonds with fellow tutors

Cons

Management are very particular. You have to fit into the ‘explore way’. No awareness of mental health in the company for workers lower than management.
    The way staff are treated.

19 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for reviewing your experience as a tutor at Explore Learning. It is great to read you enjoyed working with the children and you built strong bonds with your fellow tutors. I am sorry you... More

10. "Job"

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Lots of socials with the staff

Cons

Sometimes managers almost too by the book

6 Nov 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review of working at explore - it is great to read you recommend the job! All the best for your continued career at Explore.