Explore Learning Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Explore Learning Reviews

Updated 17 Jan 2020

3.7
Pros
  • "Management is very proactive and gives good constructive feedback to tutors(in 50 reviews)

• "Rewarding working with children and fun positive environemnt(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • "Looking at the reviews on Glassdoor, a strong theme is about working hours(in 34 reviews)

• "I can understand how working in centres that are further out/ secluded can have a negative impact on their social life(in 25 reviews)

1. "Fearless Learning is not just for the Customer"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Encouraged to step outside of my comfort zone on a daily basis - Clear and consistent targets to reach the next level -Consistent development time with my Centre Director (Manager) - Open communication with Regional Manager - Family feel for both staff and families -Bonuses and pay rises based on performance - Responsibility from day one - Training that builds your knowledge for many different skills Overall, working for Explore has been an amazing experience so far. I have built amazing relationships with people from every level of the company. I can turn to my Centre Director whenever I need a helping hand, feedback or life advice. My regional manager is brilliant, he is easy to talk to, there if you need him, is open to feedback and gives praise and feedback on a regular basis. The training days are something to rave about, they give you a deeper knowledge of your role, responsibilities and running of the centre and how Explore can take your customer learning journey to the next level. I consistently talk about my progression with Centre Director and how I would like to be a Centre Director and hopefully move on to a Head Office role in the future, which is highly encouraged. I am given the tools during my development time to work towards my objectives and put them into practice straight away. If you work hard, with passion and give a brilliant service to your members, you will go far.

Cons

The only con I have is the working hours. Working 11-8pm and one weekend day whilst also not driving can mean I get home at unusually late hours. However, I know this is the first step in my journey with Explore and every one above me has done the same.

Advice to Management

Show your AD's that you truly value them, especially those who you know are aiming for CD'ship and Head office roles in the future.

Explore Learning2020-01-17
  2. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Agent Assistant

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Feels like a family, you build a great bond with children. -Opportunities to develop skills -Managers are understanding and flexible

Cons

-Pay is low for what you have to do

Explore Learning2020-01-12
  3. "Amazing job, and incredible people!"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My colleagues are a brilliant bunch - I have so much fun at work, and whilst it can be a tough role, the culture is supportive and team orientated which was want I wanted in a role. It’s been an amazing challenge and I’ve personally grown in confidence loads in my time here!

Cons

The responsibility is big - you’re more or less handed the keys to a centre and from day one and you become the manager! I loved the trust and belief they had in me though - my resilience case into play in a big way! This role isn’t for people who aren’t ready to give it their all, everyday.

Explore Learning2020-01-07
  4. "Good, flexible work culture"

Former Employee - Tutor in Whitechapel, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours Perfect for students Employers are really concerned about your welfare to ensure personal and work life aren't affecting each other.

Cons

Inevitable issues with the rota Pay can be pretty low if you're under 21.

Explore Learning2020-01-02
  5. "Rapid Progression but Excessive Workload and Non-Flexible working arrangements"

Former Employee - Centre Director
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Explore Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great amount of responsibility quickly which leads to a lot of professional growth.

Cons

- Immense workload - No working from home option - Required to work some weekends - Finish work at 8pm most days - no flexibility with this - Can have excessive pressure from senior management regarding targets without substantial training. - Not enough emphasis placed on the quality of education

Advice to Management

Explore's main mission is fantastic - of creating fearless learners and I have learnt so much during my time there. However, the workload is unreasonable, without any flexible working arrangements or enough training. There isn't enough emphasis placed on the quality of education provided . Pay does not match the value being created.

Explore Learning2020-01-16
  6. "Fantastic place to work - great people!"

Current Employee - Tutor in Burnley, England

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

* The company understands how to get the best out of their employees and also how to treat them well. * Work is flexible and shifts are easily swapped * Management is very proactive and gives good constructive feedback to tutors

Cons

Company could also offer full time positions for tutors

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Train staff that are more capable and able to do more in other areas so you always have a strong team to fall back on if needed.

Explore Learning2019-12-30
  7. "Great"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Explore Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

The kids are friendly and there is a family atmosphere.

Cons

The pay is very bad for work done.

Explore Learning2019-12-14
  8. "Tutor at Explore Learning"

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Explore Learning part-time

Pros

Very flexible and very approachable Management team

Cons

The pay is not very good

Explore Learning2019-12-09
  9. "Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Tutor in Hayes, England

I worked at Explore Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can’t say I have any pros

Cons

Managers are petty and have favouritism. shocking how they speak about the kids and parents in a disgracing way considering they are providing a service to kids. They have no care for staff except a few favourite team members who never do any work! Managers

Advice to Management

Get new senior staff at the Hayes centre. The managers do not care for the company or the service they provide.

Explore Learning2020-01-13
  10. "Proud to be part of Explore's journey"

Current Employee - Centre Director in London, England

I have been working at Explore Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Opportunity to constantly learn and develop - Meeting and making a difference to families - Variety within the role; every day is different - Effectively in charge of a business from day one - Monthly/quarterly targets can be a good incentive to drive the business - Ability to take ownership of the centre, create a team vision/business plan and implement it

Cons

- Unsociable working hours - Workload can become unmanageable and impact on your wellbeing. Even if nothing unexpected happens - and it often does when working with so many children in a customer-facing role - the amount tasks to be completed in the time available can be overwhelming and incredibly stressful - Despite the training available to managers relating to driving growth, marketing, leadership skills, Train the Trainer, and many others, there is very little training focus on education, SEN or general curriculum knowledge/skills. This is a shame, especially when so many employees (myself included) have such genuine passion for helping the children academically and socially.

Advice to Management

I understand that the company has been looking at staffing models and bringing more flexibility to working hours. I believe this is absolutely key and urgent in retaining the fantastic talent Explore has been able to attract, inspire and develop over the years. As a longstanding employee who is incredibly passionate about Explore and its vision/values, I sadly cannot see myself in my current role for much longer and this is mainly due to working hours.

Explore Learning2019-12-03