General Dynamics Mission Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

General Dynamics Mission Systems Interview Questions

Interviews at General Dynamics Mission Systems

2.5

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems in August 2014.

Interview

Interview was very straight forward. They asked the basic questions: what is your greatest strengths, some computer science questions, and relocation questions. The only question that surprised me was "do you know what the software development life cycle and can you describe it us in a minute or two?"

Interview Questions

• do you know what the software development life cycle and can you describe it us in a minute or two?   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ypsilanti, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Ypsilanti, MI (US)) in June 2012.

Interview

Interview consisted of two parts: A phone interview and an onsite interview.

Phone interview was pretty straight forward, with the interviewer asking me about my skills and experiences. I was able to ask about the nature of the company, a typical workday, etc.

On-site interview was with the hiring manager i spoke to on the phone as well as 4 programmers. More questions about my skills and experiences, and I asked more questions about the workplace culture, methodology, and the type of work I would do there. Very relaxed and straightforward interview.

Interview Questions

• They had me write out fib using recursion and tail-recursion. I messed up on the tail-recursion part (what an amateur!) which probably resulted in me not getting an offer.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Pittsburgh, PA (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Technical phone interview followed up by an in person interview consisting of 3 parts. 1st was talking about past projects I worked on, 2nd was another technical interview, 3rd was showing me around the various software they work on.

Phone interview was relatively easy and was just a screener, in person was much more varied and nuanced, had me whiteboard a problem.

Interview Questions

• Would multithreading a program on a computer with only one core improve efficiency?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online multiple times and had two separate interviews, the first which I didn't receive an offer (but was runner-up) and the second I received an offer. Both interviews were very similar and with multiple people. Most questions were based off of my resume and projects I'd worked on and classes I'd taken. They'd prefer you know C++ but it's okay if you don't, you can learn.

Interview Questions

• None, they were all straightforward. Know the good and bad of things like using pointers and whatnot.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was an internship, no negotiation.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Pittsburgh, PA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview was set up through a contracting company. After submitting my resume, I received a phone screening which covered basic programming concepts, noting too in-depth. A few weeks later, I was invited to a half-day interview. While there, I met with probably 8 different people in 4 different meetings. The questions ranged from past work history to whiteboard programming. All interviewers were prepared for their task and I was seldom left waiting for long in between interviewers (some delay is almost inevitable due to variance of how long segments last and the necessity to do business when not interviewing). later that week, I received an offer.

It's a small thing, but I was frequently offered coffee or water and they validated my parking.

Interview Questions

• I received a fairly typical task of exporting a list of files and directories, moving down the directory structure. After I delivered the usual recursive solution, they asked me to continue refining the solution, each time asking me how it changed the complexity or resource usage. The final step was asking me how I would handle it in a multitasking environment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had a given salary as I entered in, based on what the contracting company had asked for. They warned me that GD Viz frequently dropped candidates who tried to negotiate for more at the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Needham, MA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

The company invited individuals for a career day to recruit new employees. They gave some general background information on the company, and some of the different solutions they provided to their customers. It was pretty interesting. Then the interviewees were broken off and each assigned an interviewer. 30 Minute 1 on 1technical interviews were held, and then interviewees rotated to a new interviewer to continue the process. All together three technical interviews were conducted. Lunch was provided which was decent. The people and work culture are generally less social and more work oriented. People at the company in general have mostly been at the company for a large number of years, and there seemed to be a large gap in age between new employees and all other employees. Everyone was very nice and very intelligent.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ (US)) in March 2010.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a university job fair. Did an initial phone screen, then they called back a couple weeks later and I flew out to their site. You go in and they explain things, then you interview 1:1 with three people. They ask little to no technical questions, it was the easiest interview I ever did.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ (US)) in January 2009.

Interview

Recruiter came to my school, talked to me for 30 minutes. I showed interest in the job, they gave me an interview in Arizona. There were no technical questions asked, there were no personality questions asked. Just an overview of what they did and judged my interest.

When I flew out there, I had 3 1:1 interviews, a new recruit lunch, and a dinner in the evening. Accommodation were nice.

The new recruit lunch consisted of everyone going around telling their names, where they're from, their background and interests. The dinner was more of a social gathering, some of the managers came out to let you know if you were hired.

The 3 1:1 interviews were unrelated to each other and went as followed
    1) Discussion over a good present for the interviewer's daughter for an hour
    2) Technical questions (e.g. what is an abstract class). Why do I want to work there, etc.
    3) Listened to the lady talk about what they did for an hour. ( i didn't even talk... )

Interviewers 1 and 3 wanted me, didn't matter if I did good or bad on interview 2.

I was sent a letter via fed-ex a week later with acceptance and a drug test.

Interview Questions

• What is an abstract class? What is a JVM?   1 Answer
    • This is what we do, does it sound interesting to you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate, they have formulas about how much you get paid. More experience / education results in 1k~ additional salary but is presented to you initially.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ (US)) in September 2009.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me, 2 weeks later hiring manager contacted me for phone interview followed by a face-to-face.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Fairfax, VA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

Brief over the phone. Mostly behavior questions and my areas of interest. For the behavior questions you can follow the STAR system. Pretty relaxed, had to do a drug test and per-screening to see if I can continue.

Interview Questions

• What are my areas of interest? What are some challenges you faced when working in a team?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.