Kainos Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 29 Apr 2019

3.1

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gdańsk (Poland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kainos (Gdańsk (Poland)) in December 2014.

Interview

A Skype interview.
    Two engineers and one HR lady on the Kainos side.
    Took around one and a half hour.
    There were a lot of questions about different aspects of Java and software engineering in general.
    Lot of stuff, but nothing extraordinary. If you have at least 2-3 years of practice you should pass
    Don't worry if you don;t know all the answers - no one knows everything.

Interview Questions

• - design patterns
      - good practices/testing/quality
      - soa/soap/rest/micro services
      - estimates/scrum etc...
      - Java standards/threads/collections/patterns
      - Java GC/stack   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kainos (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in April 2017.

Interview

I have attended the interview in Belfast office, The position I applied was for a programmer role, not an architect or project manager. Few questions were irrelevant and seems they were not seriously looking for candidates. Its a total waste of time their interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you convince if client asked for a faster delivery?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (Birmingham, England) in August 2018.

Interview

First, there was a 30-min phone screen, and that led to an in-person interview a few days later. There was one person in the room, and other joined by Skype as he'd had travelling difficulties that morning. Nothing really difficult, mainly covering previous work history and skills, and there was lots of opportunities to ask questions. It's just as well as one particular question uncovered an important facet that probably would have led to deep unhappiness in the role.

I was informed from the outset that the role included a lot of working away from home (that was OK with me), but that Kainos would pay all expenses from "the second you leave your house". Here are some exact quotes from the various literature I received from the recruitment agent:

"there is travel but normally based on a site near home."
    "3/4 days on site 1/2 working from home, everything expensed"
    "Everything is paid for the second you leave your house"
    "All travel is fully expensed from their door to clients, also food and any overnight stays"

It turns out these things are only true of you have a home-based contract, and those are not available to Senior Software Engineers. That contract may be available to some levels of Architect but even that wasn't clear in the end.

In the end, I had to make the painful decision to decline their offer. There's a very strong possibility I would have been left seriously out of pocket from the extreme commuting at my own expense.

With all that said that Kainos seems like a superb company to work for and I only wish my circumstances could have been slightly different so I could have joined them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kainos (London, England).

Interview

Sent the CV via their own recruitment system, then got a phone call arranging the telephone technical interview.

The technical interview took about 30-40 minutes. Just talking in the phone.

The questions were quite basic, like what's the differences between interface and abstract class. There were also some questions about the development procedure, rapid development, continuous integration.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was the accent. I had some problems with understanding the basic words like "synchronised".   1 Answer

Kainos Response

10 Sep 2014 – Talent Acquisition Lead

Thanks for taking the time to leave the above feedback,

We have a diverse range of nationalities throughout Kainos and our 1st stage technical interviews can be carried out from any of our... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (London, England) in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via a friend referral who works as a senior solution designer for a reputed telecommunications company. Invited for 1 hour F2F interview with the hiring manager at the London office to evaluate my interpersonal skills. Travelled to their Reading office for 1 hr F2F interview with one of the Technical Architect. Invited for 1 hr F2F interview with the CTO digital which took an extreme technical bent. Recruitment agent was polite, and was very helpful throughout the process. The hiring manager had faith in my talent, and really wanted to see me part of this great team. Technical architect was a polite person, and was really impressed with my technical and situation handling capabilities. CTO had very high expectations and was interested to assess my technical capabilities, and asked me to draw designs from previous project. Also, he seemed to be extremely busy screening candidates, and did not smile not even once throughout an hour long screening. A week later the hiring manager personally called me to share constructive feedback, and wished me good luck. The CTO was looking for a full stack technical architect whereas my expertise is on backend technologies, and I believe this was not clear to the agency until the CTO rejected my application at the final round. It was a great experience all together except the smile, as I believe a smile goes a long way. A very good team, and their recruitment process seems to enable them build the right team for the challenging greenfield projects that they are dealing with.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions, technology evaluation strategy, scenario handling, design from previous project.   1 Answer

Kainos Response

13 Mar 2015 – Managing Director

Thanks a lot for posting this feedback. It made me smile, which is clearly more than my colleague did during the interview process! And I agree, a smile is little to ask for, and great to receive... More

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Kainos (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in September 2014.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter when I had applied for a different job, and he suggested that Kainos might be interested - there was no advertised role. First there was a half hour technical phone screening, followed by a face to face interview with one technical person and one manager that lasted about an hour. There were not tests, and no presentation - it was just a standard Q&A / discussion. The technical content of the face to face was minimal, they were more looking for adaptable people who would be good in front of the customer than specific skills.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a customer meeting where the customer is objecting to the proposed solution from a technical perspective when you know the solution is the right one?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (Birmingham, England) in September 2018.

Interview

Interview process started off with a 30-minute conversation with another architect. He asked basic programming questions for an architect eg how do you define a good class, SOLID principles etc. Also a good opportunity to ask him about a few questions I had.

Proceeded to a face to face a few weeks later due to holiday clashes. One manager on site and another connected via Skype, I had to present a whiteboard session and got a lot of questions around my design and how I think things through. Turned out to be a great opportunity to sell myself and showcase my strengths in relation to the position

Interview Questions

• What constitutes a good class in programming - SOLID principles.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Kainos (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in January 2017.

Interview

1 hour interview, relatively informal, focusing on range of skills sets from handling team dynamics, managed workflows, performing design and code reviews, discussing non functional requirements from customers and architecture designs. I also had to go into detail on the technical architecture of an application I had worked on and respond to feedback and questions

The questions were in general quite straightforward in nature, with some challenging ones thrown in, but the general vibe was a friendly one with no attempts to trip you up or push you down the wrong direction. The interviewers were polite and listened well.

The initial application/interview took place within a few days of each other, however, post interview there has been no feedback at all, neither summary or detailed. This is still the case nearly 4 weeks later despite reaching out directly to the recruitment department since the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would handle a team colleague who was struggling with their work?
      Explain a recent application you worked on.
      How would you challenge NFRs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Kainos (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Kainos approached this a unique way (at least I thought it was unique)...they invited potential employees for a meet and greet, with drinks and nibbles. This then led to a formal interview and a job offer...awesome.

Interview Questions

• Use the White Board to describe a project that you worked on.   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kainos in October 2016.

Interview

Very smooth & professional interview process. It didn't feel like an interview where the hiring company is looking for your mistakes, it felt more like a professional conversation, dialogue regarding possible work-related scenarios, etc.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you knew that you don't have the capacity to handle all your assignments?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.