L.E.K. Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

L.E.K. Consulting Interview Questions

Updated 17 Oct 2018

3.4

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

Two back to back on campus interviews that lasted an hour each. The first interview was a case where the interviewer just wanted to know what type of questions you would ask in order to solve it. The second interview was a market sizing question. Each interviewer only asked one behavioral question before the case. My second interviewer had really analyzed my resume before hand and had highlighted certain parts and wrote certain questions on it that he had for me.

Interview Questions

• 1) Your client is an E-sports company that is looking to enter into a South American market. What questions should they consider when deciding which country to enter into?
      2) Estimate how many hours of Pandora music is played per year in the United States. If each song lasts around 3 minutes, how many songs is that?   Answer Question

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

1st Round - 2 case interviews
    2nd Round - 1 presentation, 2 case interviews followed by behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• What is the annual revenue of hot dog sales in the U.S.?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

L.E.K. came to my campus for a career fair; following was a pre-interview meet and greet--the L.E.K. employees at both events were extremely outgoing, friendly, and very much representative of the other L.E.K. employees (a highly social, but fiercely intelligent group). The interview process consisted of a first and second round. The first round was 2 30-minute case/fit interviews with L.E.K. associates (primarily a case with some time left for questions by both parties at the end). The second round consisted of 3 45-minute interviews with senior personnel (i.e. partners, project managers). The first two were 30-minute case, 15 minutes for fit/questions. The last was more like a 20-25 min case with 20-25 min for fit with some behavioral and "why L.E.K." type questions. The cases for the first round were straightforward and fairly typical of other firms (e.g. Bain, BCG, Parthenon--variation, but largely similar). The second round cases were more challenging and required more creativity. Stock answers weren't necessarily what they were looking for--make sure you've got a dozen extra tricks up your sleeve other than P&L or standard cost reduction methods (think product differentiation, M&A strategy, nothing dramatically different, but slightly more complex). Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• One case concerned a manufacturing firm that produces a line of construction equipment. As a high-quality manufacturer that makes everything from heavy re-usable machines to the small high-replacement parts you had to consider declining profits. Moving forward in the case, smaller parts were suffering due to new off-brand competition and you had to find a way to remain or improve profitability in spite of this competition.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Chicago, IL (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

There were two 1:1 interviews, including a behavioral portion and a case portion. The case was pretty hard, but both interviewers were very nice though. The behavioral portion was basically on asking about specific points from the resume, like involvement in organization X as well as motivation to do consulting. Overall positive experience, but I did not get any feedback at the end; might've been too many first round applicants.

Interview Questions

• The first case was about a private equity firm thinking about investing into a laundromat firm and so needed to determine if it was profitable.   1 Answer
    • The second case was a market sizing case. The question was about determining the market for propane gas valves used in the heating of homes.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA (US)) in August 2010.

Interview

1st round: 2 -30 minute phone interviews, one case (should we enter new market) and one market sizing. these were relatively straight forward and with two pleasant interviewers. the market sizing was straight forward and the case question was also pretty straight forward with ample time to complete each.

2nd/final round: 3-30 minute interviews, 2 cases, 1 market sizing w/ 2 managers and 1 VP. The interview with the VP was mostly fit and even technical which I thought was weird(finance background thus, finance related questions). Then was given less than 12 minutes to solve case- ran out of time/cut off.

market sizing case: usually straight forward but this interviewer kept asking me to dig deeper and do more calculations so the entire interview was basically all quantitative till time ran out and less focus on fit.

3rd case: easy and nice guy, very straight forward and to the point.

my first interview set up my downfall i suppose.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2010.

Interview

First round of interview was through college's online recruiting process. Interview was held on campus. Two back to back 30min interviews, one entirely strategy (no numbers), and the other a more market sizing, quant oriented case. The first 5-10min of each of the two interviews was reserved for a typical fit/behavioral questions.

Second round of interview was held at the Boston office in a three hour chunk. There were three one-hour long interviews varying between strategy and market sizing. Always remember that LEK throws one case that involves NO numbers, so stop trying to get numbers out of your interviewers and start thinking bigger strategy tactics.

Interview Questions

• How many people are in Logan Airport at 9am on a Monday morning?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2010.

Interview

2 Case studies over the phone.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Boston, MA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

The first round interview was held on campus with two interviewers (both associates or associate consultants). The interview consisted of a fit portion discussing my resume and a case portion. The cases consisted of a market sizing and growth strategy case. Second round invitations were sent out very promptly and the second round interviews were at the office. Met with three interviewers ranging in title from partner to manager and discussed my resume and worked through a case in each interview. The cases ranged from market sizing to product introduction. Everyone I interviewed with was very nice and respectful during the interview process itself.

Interview Questions

• Create a growth strategy for a struggling retailer that wants to expand its online presence.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

Two case interviews for the first round on-campus with associates/associate consultants, followed by 3 case interviews in the second round at the office location with managers and partners. In each round, there was a market-sizing question with a quantitative focus, and then a separate qualitative case question (unlike some firms where a case will have both). The second round also had a case which I felt was similar to a brainteaser. The first round had almost no fit portion (perhaps due to time constraints), whereas the managers/partners really grilled me on why I wanted to be a consultant, what I liked about LEK, etc., in the second round.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the main drivers for the energy industry?   Answer Question
    • What's the market for frozen pizzas in the U.S.?   Answer Question

I had a better offer elsewhere.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at L.E.K. Consulting (New York, NY (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

Submitted an application through LEK's online portal for entry-level Associate position. Received invitation for first-round interview from a current Associate, via email late one weeknight, and had two phone interviews two days later. Heard from the recruiter about making it to second round by the weekend, and went up to the NY office for the final superday the next week. Three interviews in a row, two with Managers and one with Partners.

Interview Questions

• Case involving auto companies.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.