Met Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Met Office Interview Questions

Interviews at Met Office

Operational Meteorologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Met Office (Exeter, England).

Interview

The interview process was rolled into an Assessment day, with a test alongside the interview.

The Assessment Day also contained a tour of the facilities and a talk provided by staff members who had joined the scheme that we had all applied for. The employees emphasised the social ethos of the company and how important it is for workers to be “social” with one another. I did notice that the workers were observing how we as candidates interacted. As an Introvert this information made me feel slightly uncomfortable. Furthermore, I am not sure how this is appropriate for people with social anxiety and disabilities that would present communication problems. Based on this alone I question how many disabled individuals this company employs. At the end of the day cordial communication is all that is necessary in any job, it’s not necessary to be friends with coworkers.

The interview was approximately 40 minutes and was Face-To-Face with myself and two interviewers. The questions focused on current meteorological events and communication. It was important to mention alteration of communication with customers and to ensure clarity as not all customers have the same Meteorological knowledge.

The test entailed Maths and Physics that was tailored to A Level. I revised for one month for this test, covering Vectors, Matrices, Linear Algebra etc, none of this appeared in the test. As a Meteorology graduate I hadn’t covered this in over a year, so I would’ve had to re-familiarise myself with all of the maths content that I had learned, which was a substantial amount! In future, I think it would be useful for the company to provide reference to exact topics that would be covered in the test.

As a prospective candidate I wouldn’t recommend attending the assessment day or applying for this job until you are absolutely thorough in all of the Maths and Physics topics listed on the job description because this is primarily what they utilise to determine your suitability to the job. Despite offering tutoring to staff.

As a Meteorology graduate and as someone who spends hours a day monitoring the weather, observing weather forums and researching weather patterns, it is disappointing that this company don’t think that I am a good fit to this job because I did not pass an arbitrary test. Surely my degree certificate should be enough alone to provide evidence that I am committed to and have a passion in monitoring the weather? I feel that it would’ve been more suitable for the company to test my Meteorological knowledge over Maths and Physics, given the job type.

Unfortunately, the company struggles to provide feedback in a timely manner. Waiting several weeks and still not having feedback gives an impression of indifference towards unsuccessful candidates.

The whole process has left a negative impression of the Met Office in my mind. I think it’s very unlikely that I will ever apply for a job in this company again, due to their extremely poor recruitment process and I HAVE a Meteorology Degree (which seems to be irrelevant to them). I think it is unprofessional and rude of them to leave me hanging for weeks and end without providing feedback, it shows that they don’t care about my application.

Interview Questions

Met Office Response

13 Mar 2020 – Resourcing Advisor

Thank you for your feedback, at the Met Office we would like everyone to have a positive experience during their interview therefore I would invite you to speak to the HR team directly so we can discuss why we use the assessments we do and also to discuss your experience. We look forward to hearing from you directly

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Met Office (London, England) in February 2020.

Interview

Questions focuses on software development, version control and scientific computing
     The interview panel is very wepcoming and accommodating. Questions are designed to test your overall understanding of mathematical modelling and scientific computing. Especially algorithm development for acceleration

Junior Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Met Office (Exeter, England) in February 2020.

Interview

It was a very nice experience. We all met up at the entrance and I met my fellow interviewees, then had a tour of the building, learnt a bit of the history and what it's like to work there, people etc.
    After, we got split up in two two teams, the first team went to have their interview, then have a chat with existing colleagues and lastly pair programming.
    The second team did pair programming, interview then sitting down having a chat with existing colleagues.
    All of it was fairly relaxed, had a nice chat whilst pair programming, the interview process was formal but relaxed and the chat was nice to see how they are fitting in, what they like about the company etc.

Interview Questions

• What was the main aspect of the job advert that made you want to apply?   Answer Question
    • Tell me more about why you want to go into Web development.   Answer Question
    • What would you say your favourite project was?   Answer Question
    • Tell me once scenario where you have been in a situation (personal or professional) that needed to be sorted out, and how did you do so?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Met Office (Exeter, England) in January 2020.

Interview

Prior to my interview I was contacted by phone to let me know i had got to the interview stage. I was then offered a selection of interview times.

I arrived on the day and reported to reception. I was met by a HR rep who took me off to complete my 30 minute assessment, which was specific to Project Management. It was a scenario, with 4-5 questions that needed answering. Once my 30 minutes was up, I was collected and taken for a 10 minute break before my interview began.

I was interviewed by a panel of 3 people. They started by asking me to present my answers to the questions raised in the assessment, and they asked questions related to the material. Then they went on to ask me questions about my current job, my suitability to the new role etc. They were very friendly and professional, and I felt comfortable throughout.

It took a while for me to hear back, about a week later I received a phone call to tell me I'd been successful.

Interview Questions

• Who are some of the key customers of the Met Office   Answer Question
    • How does your current job demonstrate your suitability to the job you have applied for   Answer Question

Business and Industry Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Met Office (Exeter, England) in December 2019.

Interview

Went to their HQ and had a half an hour interview with time for an interview requiring different statistical analysis methods. There was also a prepared exercise to present a brief for a meeting with a client. Were fairly welcoming, however equal knowledge of coding and business techniques were required.

Interview Questions

• Was presented with a simple piece of code, and had to recommended ways to improve it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Met Office (Exeter, England).

Interview

Long application but quite simple to get through due to their essential criteria. Just follow these and you'll be sorted. After initially being rejected I was invited for an interview. Panel of 4 and 10 min presentation. Some tricky questions but ultimately an enjoyable experience with lovely staff.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you've persuaded someone to do something   Answer Question

Research Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Met Office (London, England) in January 2018.

Interview

1. What is the history of the company
    2. Technical knowledge required for the job. In my case asking me about how I would detect the temperature of ice in a plane
    3. Coding ability - How would I structure my code?

Interview Questions

• What is the history of the company?   1 Answer

Senior HRBP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Met Office (Exeter, England) in July 2017.

Interview

My interview for my role in the Met Office was conducted in a professional manner. I was given the opportunity to choose an interview slot and interviewed in a modern quiet meeting room by a gender balanced panel who were interested in why I was applying, probed my values as well as my experience and skills. The interview process allowed me to see the building I would work in, the office environment I would daily operate in, that free parking actually exists (good transport links also if not using a car) and to allow a range of questions of the panel/staff.

Industrial Placement Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Met Office (Exeter, England) in May 2017.

Interview

A generic interview with nothing out the ordinary. very straightforward and standard questions. Interview lasted 45 minutes and was conducted by 2 people. Questions included why you want to work at the Metoffice and to describe your past work experience

Summer Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Met Office (Exeter, England) in March 2017.

Interview

After submitting a quite detailed application, I was shortlisted to have an interview. The interview took place over the phone because for summer placements, we were all in our last years at university so it was not feesable for all of us to come down for a face-to-face interview.
    It was roughly half an hour of questions (them asking me and me asking them). It wasn’t scary as the people were lovely and made it fun.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.