Metaswitch Graduate Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Metaswitch Graduate Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Metaswitch

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Metaswitch (London, England) in August 2020.

Interview

After submitting online application, I was asked to do an online test. Then I was told I would be given an interview and I need to answer a lot of questions before the interview. That took me a lot of time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Metaswitch

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Metaswitch.

Interview

1. Submit CV and cover letter
    2. Complete short online aptitude test
    3. Fill out a lengthy online application form asking about university experience, interests, and strengths and weakness, among others
    4. 2-hour interview with two software engineers which involved answering two problem-solving questions and discussing answers

Interview Questions

• - Why do you want to become a software developer?
      - Complete two problem-solving questions and discuss answers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Metaswitch (London, England) in March 2020.

Interview

I had a test given to me followed by 1 interview locally and a second interview in London. The first interview had a few parts mostly logic problems in times tests which were quite hard to complete similar to IQ tests. Then a set of longer logic problems. Then you talk to someone about the second set of problems.
    They don't really care about your initial answers but how receptive you are to the discussion.

The second interview has more long logic problems which you talk through with someone and in the middle there is also a presentation they ask you to make about any topic of your choice. At the end you talk about your entire day at the end

Interview Questions

• There was a question based on Doctor who where the Dr. has travelled to a different time and the people there are giving him their currency in their language and in Normal numbers. Based on the 2 you have to answer certain questions (deducing the numbers using the information you are given)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Metaswitch (Enfield, England) in February 2020.

Interview

An aptitude test and then a day of interviews in Enfield. You are given a series of questions to do on your own and then go over your solutions with a member of staff. They propose alterations to the problems and then you talk about how you would modify your solution to adapt it to the new problem.

Interview Questions

• Questions about a modified form of blackjack as well as one about sending messaged on stone tablets.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Metaswitch (Enfield, England) in November 2019.

Interview

Good overall process. Three stages: First being same as the aptitude test but longer with a smaller time limit. Second is two problem solving tests. One of mine included being a postmaster and delivering messages to different towns via given routes and resources and explaining efficient ways of doing so. Also consider emergency time where resources or paths are limited. Third section is an interview which revolves around reviewing the answers given and show a detailed thinking pattern. Challenged on answers and put under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Multiple stage questions. Short aptitude form and two long qustions   1 Answer

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Metaswitch (Enfield, England).

Interview

When you apply you have to first complete a 15 minutes maths aptitude test. Two weeks later I was invited for an interview
    The whole process took about 4-5 hours. The day started off with a brief video presentation, after that you have to complete a 30 minutes maths aptitude test, then followed by two 45 minutes written problem solving test. It concludes with an interview with the manager, going over the written test and some general interview questions

Interview Questions

• How would you design a program to play a game of flapjack ?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

After completing an online iq style test I was invited to interview in Edinburgh. There was another iq style test, then two written tests: one about getting messages across a kingdom, and one about how you would program a game (though you don't need actual programming knowledge just to break it down into logical steps). Then I had an interview where I discussed my answers to the tests and also a bit about myself. All in all it was a pretty enjoyable - though thorough - experience!

Interview Questions

• How would you improve your program so that the computer has a better chance of winning?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Metaswitch (Enfield, England) in October 2019.

Interview

- I applied online, simply attaching a CV and Cover Letter.
    - I then received an email response inviting me to complete an online Numerical/English/Logic & Reasoning test. I had 15 minutes to answer 50 questions.
    - I then attended an assessment day. There was another test (same test as above). Then two logic/reasoning long-answer questions. One on the travelling salesman problem, a second on creating a card game similar to blackjack.

Additional thoughts:

In the job description, Metaswitch claim to be transparent about the application process, but then, they sneakily make you fill out a lengthy application form in the same email they invite to the assessment day. Furthermore, there are two assessment days you have to attend. There's the initial one, where they screen out any non-geniuses, before inviting you to a second one where you have to give a 30 minute presentation on a subject of your choice, and do group exercises. I didn't get invited to the second one.

Another important factor to note is that these assessments are run almost every day, 4-6 people at time. It's factory-line of graduates. You're one of 100s of graduates who will be attending the initial assessment centre each calendar year. This is something to consider when deciding whether to attend the interview, especially if you have to sacrifice things like annual leave at your current job, or if you're not that interested in Metaswitch if there's such thick competition.

Metaswitch pay travel expenses, which is good, however, there's a cap at £50, which is rather stringent considering today's train prices, combined with the awkward location of Enfield (multiple trains likely to be required).

The interview is a relatively nice process, with friendly people. The 1-on-1 interview was an amicable, upbeat and fun conversation, before the interviewer swiftly rejected me the following working day.

Interview Questions

• Why Metaswitch?   Answer Question
    • General discussions on your CV, what you've previously studied and done.   Answer Question
    • Discussing the answers you gave to the questions earlier in the day and how you might improve your answer.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

40 mins of psychometric tests, 40 mins of travelling salesman problem, 25 mins blackjack variation, chat with graduate, lunch, go through answers with a manager. Invited back to second interview if you were good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Metaswitch (London, England) in September 2019.

Interview

Entire application process:
    1. Short online form with CV and CL.
    2. 15 minute online aptitude test.
    3. A very sneaky (they do not mention that they will make you fill this) extremely long application form with interview like questions with no word limit. I wrote about 7000 words which is only 3000 short of my BEng degree final dissertation.
    4. Initial interview day which is from 10 am to 2 pm. One 45 minute aptitude test with 2 long problem solving exercises followed by an interview for each.
    5. Final assessment day in which you must arrive by 4 PM the previous day, solve one long problem solving exercise, then they put you in a hotel and sponsor your dinner and morning breakfast. The next day from 9 AM to 4 30 PM you start with a long group exercise and two long exercises with an interview for each. There are other brief interviews and a 30 minute presentation which is very important and the topic is anything other than your academics.

I was rejected for no apparent reason. I was an international student from a developing country trying to find employment after studying or 4 years in England and spending a fortune when there was no post study work-visa available. I made sure that they were able to sponsor me for a Tier-2 visa instead. They mentioned that would be okay to do that. I spend 1 and a half month through the entire hiring process preparing and attending each stage. I personally felt I had done better than most and I also got the same feedback from interviewers. I cannot help but feel it was due to me being an international student but then I wonder why they would take me so far in the hiring process just to reject me based on criteria out of my control.

I humbly asked for feedback after my rejection just asking for some genuine suggestions to improve my applications in the future and not dump 1.5 months of time for little gain. I was not provided with any feedback even though the company has a policy to provide feedback to the applicants. This makes me further question whether I was truly rejected for a genuine reason other than things I could not choose or have little control over.

The lack of genuine feedback after asking to invest so much time is the only reason I gave negative feedback to the company's hiring process. Otherwise, everyone was nice as expected and showed genuine care for applicants.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.