NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions

Interviews at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

2.6

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

it was two screening interviews over the phone. relatively easy interviews. each interview took about 30 minutes, they ask few technical questions and the rest behavioral and also they ask about my goals in JPL and what i know about NASA.

Interview Questions

• Describe the properties of a well written software.   Answer Question
    • What is difference between BJT and MOSFET in terms of power and current usage   Answer Question
    • why and how we use Polymorphism and Virtual Functions?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I had an initial phone screening with a developer and then went to an onsite interview where I met with the team I would be working with. They were very welcoming, and I was pleasantly surprised since it was my first interview.

Human Centered Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA (US)).

Interview

Went through three interviews and the whole process took about 2.5-3 months. First interview was a 30 minute call with an HR rep who robotically read through a list of standard questions that had little to do with the job. Second one was scheduled about 3 weeks later and was an hour long video call with the hiring manager where I presented some of my work and we had a conversation about the job and my experience. It was difficult to get a sense of the specifics of the job and what they were looking for though, even though I asked many questions.

About a month later out of the blue, they contacted me to schedule a third interview. This one was an all day video call from 8 am until 5 pm with one short lunch break. There were about 10 people on the call throughout the day and it was an extremely disorganized experience. First I was asked to give an hour long “job talk” (which is the wrong term to use for a design job and should have been a red flag—it’s called a portfolio presentation in the design world, guys). Then I was given a design challenge project with no advance notice of what the topic would be and asked to lead a team through various stages of the project including developing a research plan, conducting interviews, synthesis, prototyping etc. Toward the end of the day I met with the team I had done the design challenge with to discuss how it went and to learn more about their work. Then I met with others on the extended team, and finally with the hiring manager again. Several members of the team acknowledged that the interview process was flawed and asked for suggestions on how they could improve the experience, so I ended up feeling like I had failed and was simply helping them make the process better for future candidates.

Overall, it was difficult to have meaningful discussions with individuals since so many people were on the call at the same time, and it was a grueling process that seemed designed to set candidates up for failure. Also, the team didn’t seem aligned on what type of a candidate they were looking for and no one was able to clearly articulate their vision of the job. They did mention many times throughout the interview that design is a relatively new area with NASA JPL. At the very end of the day, the hiring manager mentioned that they were hoping for someone with Six Sigma experience, which makes me think they were looking for someone who was more of a product manager hybrid than anything. I’ve seem this same position posted for over a year now so I think they are figuring it out as they go. Unfortunately that results in a lot of wasted time and effort for candidates.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with others being hostile to the role of design before?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in September 2020.

Interview

Interviewed through GHC. Interviewer was younger, very nice. Was not very technical, more asked about my background and experiences. Tell me about yourself. What was one time you worked on a team and there was conflict, how did you handle this.

Interview Questions

• What are the considerations when designed something to go into space?   Answer Question

HR Business Partner Interview

Interview

Awful candidate experience. I was scheduled to meet with the hiring manager and kept checking in after for feedback to see if I was still in the running. There was significant scarcity from the recruiter to stay in touch/connected, in sharing feedback, providing updates, etc. I always had to check in and one time she replied back to my email around 2-3 weeks after I had sent it. When I didn't hear back frequently, I just assumed I was no longer in the running. Then come to my surprise she emailed back saying I was still being considered and they were still trying to identify a slate of candidates to move to the next round (so it has literally taken them at least 2 months now to figure this out). Mind boggling to think that this is the candidate experience for HR roles in the organization and this is the taste that HR candidates are left with.

Interview Questions

• How did you support the business in a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in August 2020.

Interview

Was asked about my resume that I provided beforehand, went over a couple of my projects and detailed some technical skills that I used. They then explained their project and asked if I had any questions.

Director, HR Business Partner Interview

Interview

I replied to an online job posting that I thought I fit perfectly. I waited several weeks and they finally emailed for a quick phone screening and then nothing.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in June 2020.

Interview

Fairly pleasant and straightforward interview process. Started off with an HR interview followed by an interview with a manager. The last step was the technical interview, after that I got the call for the offer. Overall process took about 3 weeks from when the first phone call happened. They were very quick and responsive throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenging problem that you faced and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

The interview was both behavioral and technical. The behavioral portions lasts about 10 minutes. I was asked to solve mechanical design problems and about material properties of different metals.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

On-campus interview, followed by on-site visit. The on-campus interview was very relaxed, basically just behavioral. On-site consisted of a full day of interviews with multiple people. Some were very relaxed and behavioral, others more technical in nature.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.