Nest Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Nest Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Nest

2.7

Software Developer Interview

Interview

interesting and easy. some basic concepts about object oriented programmi ng concepts ,jquery, html css and mvc routing, c # and data strucures, list and sql functions and procedures . Telephone with HR, skype and face to face

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Nest

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Interview

Beside calls with HR, the full interview process consisted of 1 phone coding interview of 45 mn and then 4 coding interviews of 45 mn each, plus a lunch in the middle at the cafeteria.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nest in March 2018.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter who asked me for multiple available times to talk to an engineer over the next week. Gave her the times, then she didn't respond until a week and a half later. Scheduled a call for the next day with an engineer in the Boulder office since I was off that day (it was my birthday, so figured why not?). Week later I emailed the recruiter to find out what the status was, but her email was disconnected. Contacted another Nest recruiter on LinkedIn, who forwarded my information off to another recruiter. Got this email back from him

"I'm a member of Nest's recruiting team and I work closely with our Apps teams. I received your information from my recruiting partner <redacted> who mentioned that you have been waiting to hear back regarding a recent phone interview from 3/15. I want to apologize for the long delay and promise you that I will have a decision by end of day tomorrow. We appreciate the time you spend speaking with us."

Although he promised to get back to me the next day, I didn't hear back so I emailed a couple days later. I finally emailed again a week after the initial email and still no response. Overall Nest's recruiters are some of least organized I've dealt with, and obviously they don't mean what they say or value the time of engineers that they're trying to bring on.

Update: Finally got emailed back after contacting again, and they mentioned they weren't moving forward via the interview. No actual feedback, so I'm not sure how true this is since I really don't trust their recruiters to be straight forward at this point. Probably dodged a bullet though.

Interview Questions

• Walk through making a dual linked list in Java, adding values to it, searching, etc. Talked a bit about his team and what they do.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Scheduled a phone interview in a week. 45 mins interview. Interviewer described what the team does. Then asked one data strcuture design question. Interviewer was helpful. You must be very good at DS.

Interview Questions

• Gave a problem and asked to design a data structure for it. Then asked some follow up questions related to threading.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Got call from HR about a software engineer position at Nest Lab. Based on the JD I am confident I got the right skill set for it. HR arranged a technical phone interviewwith one of Nest Software Engineer. The interview was scheduled for 1 hour, including a 45 min codepader online test.

The Engineer called me a few minutes later, he quickly introduced his company and asked me to introduce myself. I briefly explained my current position, and the previous company I worked for. It took no more than 5 minutes.

Surprisingly, the Nest Engineer concluded that this is the end of the interview. No any coding questions, no any technical question. I specifically asked him that the HR arranged online coding test via codepader and she sent the link, the Engineer said no, the interview is done.

The whole conversation took no more than 5 minutes.

This is really the most creepy interview phone call I ever had.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

submit resume online. almost a month later get email to arrange online interview.
    a manager ask some questions according to my resume and a simple coding question.
    a engineer ask me to debug code and solve problem.
    each interview is about 45 mins.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nest (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Nest hires its employees separately from Google, which makes sense because Nest will become one of the Bets of Alphabet. You won't be going through the process with a Google recruiter, but a Nest recruiter. There are some implications there. For example Nest is much smaller and can't go to as many schools. Furthermore, you'll do your final round interviews on Nest campus rather than Google campus.

As for similarities, Nest has hiring committees just like its current parent. The overall interview process is pretty similar and any differences will probably be more attributable to the role than the company (such as hardware versus software).

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest (New York, NY (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

Introduce a project on my resume. Basic questions about concepts of OO Design. Two easy algorithm problems. My suggestion would be when preparing for the interview, make sure you are clear about all basic concepts of OO Design and the features of the programming language you are using.

Interview Questions

• Comparison of basic data structures and when do you choose each of them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

This might be a one off, but I have never experienced such lack of interest in the candidate you are interviewing. The interview started 5 minutes late, and first thing the interviewer said was, "hello, can you open the collabedit link?". One problem was then copy pasted from career cup and interview began without any introduction. I started my thought process and explaining what I wanted to write, and got interpreted as "ok ok just write code now". Coding question was done in 15 minutes, but There was a huge language barrier. The interviewer kept interrupting me, and not even speaking clearly. I mentioned that I don't understand what she was trying to say, but to no avail. Anyway, I took clues from few words I understood, and what she wanted me to write.

Interviewer then asked me to write recursive calls and parameter values as a walk through, which I did, and she said that was wrong. I wasn't wrong (I checked later on eclipse to confirm), but at that point I was talking to a wall. Interviewer had no understanding of pass by value or reference and kept 'correcting' me. I tried to explain thats not how java works, but I couldn't understand what she wanted.

The interviewer then cut the call without any closing questions, and/or saying anything. Oh well, I guess that was it. I have cleared several phone screens, but this one made me go 'hello! talk to me! I solved your question' in the middle of the interview. I somehow got onsite call, but I am not even planning to go onsite after this experience.

Interview Questions

• Sum of root to leaf nodes in a tree that equals to given input value.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nest.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn. I had 2 telephonic interviews. I could not convince interviewers that I am good fit for nest. Questions were easy and standard. I was not that into nest after reading the reviews here.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.