Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Network Rail Interview Questions

Interviews at Network Rail

3.1

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

An online application followed by a games based numeracy test. The numeracy test is based on sequences and spotting patterns, so the only prerequisite is basic secondary school maths.

A video interview followed and then an assessment centre in Milton Keynes.

Assessment centre is comprised of two parts. A half day interview which included;

1. Interview
    2. Group activity

In the interview, a mixture of questions are asked. Some questions are competency based and others are motivation based

Examples of questions that I were asked

1. Why do you want to work for Network rail
    2. What could you bring to network rail
    3. Describe a time you led a group effectively (competency based)
    4. Describe a time you had to make a difficult decision (competency based)

For the mechanical engineering stream some technical questions were asked. No prior knowledge is needed, what they're looking for is your thought process

1. A 20ft and a 40ft container are placed on a carriage.

Interview Questions

Interview

Firstly written questions, then a series of psychometric tests and a pre recorded interview.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England) in September 2020.

Interview

After completing a verbal reasoning test online, I was invited to interview at a station. There were 2 interviewers, and the duration was around 45 minutes. The questions related to customer service, safety, and some situation-based questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you dealt with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Leeds, England) in September 2020.

Interview

I applied to the position in mid-to-late July 2020. I was offered the opportunity to complete an online assessment early August, to which I received my successful result four days later alongside an invitation to an online interview to be completed a week later. The assessment consisted of literacy tests to assess our reading and comprehension levels. The next online interview was short, asking only five questions and required background understanding of the company and its values for success. Nearly a month later in early September I was contacted to say I was successful in this online interview, and invited to an in-person assessment centre in Leeds, at a local hotel. This took place the next week, and they were extremely friendly and social-distance-aware the entire time. We had a short presentation delivered to us about the job role, and completed a group task which featured a customer service situation, where we had to discuss a difficult situation and work out what we would do, and nominate someone to feed back to the assessors, of which there were the same number of candidates in the room. This was followed by an individual interview with two of the assessors, presumably one being the assessor assigned to me, which was rather enjoyable as my interviewers were attentive and friendly. We then had to fill our our previous employment for the last three years, provide identification and then could leave if we were ready. They had suggested we would be there three and a half hours, the entire process lasted for an hour and a half at most. After nearly three weeks at the start of October I was told I was successful in this, and am still awaiting a start date for this role. I am told there are also in-person checks and other background checks involved.

Interview Questions

• Why is safety so important to Network Rail?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Network Rail?   1 Answer

Senior HRBP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peterborough, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Peterborough, England) in September 2020.

Interview

Two online interviews after a brief chat with the in house recruiter. The first interview involved a presentation and competency-based questions with a two-person interviewing panel. The intial interview was carried out really well. I was advised that one other person was put forward to the second stage interview. Although the second stage interview seemed to go well and I was told that a decision would be made by early the following week I heard nothing and had to chase for an outcome. What followed was nothing short of a farce and I would certainly advise anyone thinking of applying to Network Rail to not bother as the candidate experience is awful.

Interview Questions

• Usual competency-based questions where you are asked to give an example of your experience in a particular area   Answer Question

Engineering Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Exeter, England) in September 2020.

Interview

I read over my CV giving more details, then answered a series of questions about myself, the company, safety and the job as well as some technical questions. I would recommend taking a close look at the safety vision. apart from that it was a pretty standard interview.

Associate Sponsor Interview

Anonymous Employee in York, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Network Rail (York, England) in September 2020.

Interview

Easy and fun - it took the time for the interview offer to come through but they phoned me two days later to offer me the job. The interviewers were pushing for me to answer the question properly and for me to do the best I can.

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Video interview, like zoom but with pre done questions. You had 2 minutes to reply with an answer.

Project Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England) in July 2020.

Interview

Filled in an online application. Got an invitation to do a video interview. I don't know the outcome yet as I did it quite recently.

I got a lot of help for interview prep so I'm reciprocating. The video interview had 3 questions in total and tasks about 18 minutes to complete the whole process.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you possess that you can apply to this role?   1 Answer
    • What is one thing you would say is unique about you?   Answer Question

Senior Finance Business Partner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Online application, video interview if successfully followed up by teams interview

The video interview is prerecorded with 4 questions 2 around suitability forgot 2 around competencies.

Interview Questions

• NR Safety vision
      A time when improved efficiency
      Skills possessed   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.