Network Rail Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Network Rail CEO Mark Carne
Mark Carne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some poor management plus a lot of weekends & nights working (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours at times with no overtime (in 9 reviews)

"Network Rail"

I have been working at Network Rail full-time

Pros

Great company that values its staff, genuinely cares and promotes health, safety and wellbeing

Cons

24/7 operations which can be draining sometimes when busy

26 Mar 2018 – Talent Aquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate the feedback!

Reinold
    Talent Acquisition Manager

"A Great Place to Work, Despite the Cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basingstoke, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basingstoke, England

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wages, benefits and conditions very good when comparing jobs and skill set with equivalent companies. Most people are genuinely passionate and want to do the right thing. If you are ambitious and bright you can go a long way (if you’re ambitious and not so bright you can also go a long way!). Great safety and D&I message being delivered from the top. A job for life should you want it. Quite easy to move around the company into different areas with good training and further education opportunities. It can be an exciting place to work. Despite some frustrations (see Cons), I love it, and would recommend to those interested in getting people from A to B safely and, ahem, efficiently on Britain’s railways.

Cons

Like many monster organisations the inefficiency and waste is staggering. Top down management. An awful lot of middle management – the value being questionable. Any problems - the answer seems to be throw even more management at it. Poor performance is not dealt with. Despite good messages being preached, D&I has a huge way to go and things I’ve heard spoken at all levels are not acceptable. People can be promoted beyond their abilities and poor performance is not effectively dealt with. Relationship between HQ and the routes isn’t the best. Comms can be poor. Pace of change can be slow.

Advice to Management

Get back to the floor to really listen and understand the issues and perceptions of your staff and your risks. Address poor performance.

3. "Not quite as good at you'd expect..."

I worked at Network Rail full-time

Pros

- Some very good people
    - Growing rapidly
    - New building will finally be completed soon.
    - Some amazing teams

Cons

- Is the place to work in Cambridge at the moment, but this is mainly because of recent media coverage rather than being a good place to work.
    - Emphasis on quantity over quality
    - Doesn't seem to know what to do with its new hires. New employees rush around trying to find their niche
    - Company meetings are meaningless. High level managers are great face to face but presentations are full of buzzwords and corporate lingo.
    - Bureaucratic
    - Managers allowed to create their own micro-cultures which are at odds to the rest of the company
    - IT function's culture is toxic.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on improving culture rather than financial remunerations - they're not everything.

"Lots of opportunities to grow"

I worked at Network Rail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Transparent pay system
    Subsidised Rail benefits
    Westwood training centre
    Forward thinking
    General feeling of positivity
    Flexible management and investment in leadership training

Cons

Too slow to change - lots of positive messages and transformation programmes underway but often short lived and not seen through to until they are embedded.

9 Apr 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate the feedback! Glad to hear from your perspective about the pros for working at Network Rail, especially the positive environment... More

5. "Good, social,"

I worked at Network Rail full-time

Pros

Welcoming people, very social and relaxed .

Cons

Could have better opportunities for careers but it could just my what I studied.

29 Mar 2018 – Talent Aquisition Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate the feedback! Glad to hear you feel the warmth in our working environment. We do support our staff in career progression through training... More

6. "Full time job"

I have been working at Network Rail full-time

Pros

Balance between work and life

Cons

Weak managers and slow development

Advice to Management

Improve the flow of information

10 Apr 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate the feedback, both positive and constructive.

In terms of development - we have a variety of internal courses available and do... More

7. "Great career development, perks and pension"

Current Employee - Engineer in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Network Rail (Less than a year)

Pros

The support given to continuous professional development is superb, with lots of money available to spend on training. The 75% (taxable) discount on a season ticket is a really beneficial perk and saves me £1000 a year. The pensions on offer are among the best in the UK and prove extremely lucrative for long term employees.

Cons

Travelling and hotels. Due to the company being nationwide there is a fair amount of travel involved meaning nights away from the family in hotels.

26 Mar 2018 – Talent Aquisition Manager

Thanks for your review! It is great to hear you are enjoying our benefits and have been supported in your career development.

Regarding travelling, we try to encourage technology where possible... More

8. "Finance"

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Real opportunity to be involved from the start of your time at the company.
    Access to all levels of management, a very open culture

Cons

Finance sometimes doesn't have the sway or pulling power that you would expect in a company this size. Can sometimes feel like no value is being added from the work you do

27 Mar 2018 – Talent Aquisition Manager

Thanks for leaving a review! Glad to hear about your positive experience in Network Rail. There are changes internally that can make it seem that your pulling power is reduced but don't lose sight... More

"If you have the choice, avoid."

Current Employee - Finance in London, England
    Current Employee - Finance in London, England

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great if you're 50+ years old - absolute security, plenty of time to improve your golf handicap. If you love filling in forms, this is the place for you.

Cons

Possibly the worst IT and HR teams every encountered. When the senior management team has almost completely left over the last 3 years (including the CEO), that may tell you something. When all else fails, add a process.

The latest employment survey said that 62% thought that leadership was bad or very bad. 58% thought the same about pay.

Advice to Management

The recent employee survey told you something about the rotten culture. So did the one two years ago. The one before that told you about endemic bullying. Maybe fix it?

"Heart is in the right place!"

Current Employee - Lead Signalling Designer in York, England
    Current Employee - Lead Signalling Designer in York, England

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great at developing young designers and you are able to talk to so many different knowledgeable people. People generally want to do the best thing for the industry.

Cons

For all the constant change that is attempted in the organisation, there are too many stuck in their ways middle to upper management that are great a resisting the changes so that nothing really fundamentally changes. So much red tape that restricts innovation and serious people being able to effectively manage a team.

Advice to Management

Formally review and learn from all the change programmes that are attempted, whether they are completed or abandoned!