OpenBet Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

OpenBet Interview Questions

Updated 27 May 2018

3.2

Senior Software Engineer-L3 Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OpenBet.

Interview

Process took 1,5+ month.

1. Generic introductory discussion about you,your background,current position etc.
    2. 5 online tests which required quite too much for one hour. Maybe in two hours you can handle them all.
    3. 1hr phone interview with several questions (around 50+) .The questions where covering kinda of everything from Java basics till databases till REST etc etc. At the end was asked also to solve two algorithmic problems which is not quite common for a phone interview.
    4. 3hrs in premise interview with more algorithms problems,tests,questions etc.

In overall it was quite interesting paying attention only to the problems/questions solving (It's good for getting experience in tests basically)Personnel involved were quite positive and friendly . Went quite smooth.
    Taking into account the outcome , this company probably has quite high a standard for these tests.If it's worth I will let it up to you(candidate) to argue or not.

I would suggest relaxing this threshold and also take into account other staff that make a developer good for your team e.g cooperation, analytic thinking, organizational aspects, ability to conceive a solution to its whole extend and many more.

At the end of the day in none of these tests was there a real problem that could be faced in the day to day job and you should be evaluated on. It is more like a java/algorithms/questions competition/hackathon which doesn't show the canditate's real value.

Finally you can eliminate candidates earlier e.g after the phone interview and algorithms test you should know if you want the candidate and not pass them from the whole procedure consuming your and their time :)

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chiswick, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at OpenBet (Chiswick, England).

Interview

The first stage was applying online. You fill out your details including: address, education etc. and attach your CV. There also two competency based questions you can answer. I believe the first asked about how your strengths are a match for Openbet, and the second asked about any relevant experience I had. I left the latter empty.

I then got an email asking to set up a phone call. This was with the internal recruiter at Openbet. The lady was very friendly and asked questions such as: What programming languages I know, whether I am more interested in frontend or backend development and was asked what my salary expectation is (weird for a graduate job). She then explained the job role and how the company operate etc. She asked me whether I was interested, and setup a coding challenge.

The coding challenge was sent to me via email, and took place on Hackerank. It consisted of 5 questions to be completed in an hour. They are all very basic and you should have no issues. I know that a lot of the candidates only answered about 3/5 questions and still got to the next stage! Example questions: Count the amount of vowels in this word, what is the next closest fibonacci number to X, etc.

Following this, I was invited to an assessment centre (I applied before xmas, and this took place after xmas to accommodate for people taking January exams - shows they care a lot). I'm going to explain what happened at the assessment centre now:

1) Signed in, got name badges etc. Sat in a room waiting for all candidates to arrive. Made to feel very welcome by the staff.

2) Had a talk with senior staff about Openbet, what they are currently doing, their future goals etc.

3) First group exercise. This was an ice breaker exercise, and we were put into 3 groups of 5. We were given spaghetti, blue tac, tape and a single marshmallow. In our teams we had to build the biggest structure that supported the marshmallow. The structure was marked on a few categories and at the end we had to give a small talk about why we think we deserved points in each of the categories. A few markers went round, writing notes about us.

4) Another group exercise. We were put into new groups of 5 and given a booklet of questions. These had programming questions, some multiple choice and others writing code. We had about an hour to complete this.

5) Lunch provided and got to speak with a developer.

6) In the afternoon we were split into a new group of 5. Each group would be doing a different activity here. One would be doing their interview, another a group exercise and the other got to speak with existing developers.

7) Interview. This lasted an hour and was held by 2 people. They asked a mixture of competency based and technical questions. Be prepared to talk in depth about previous projects and anything you have written on your CV. Weirdly none of use were asked why we wanted to work there. I believe the technical questions were tailored to what you had on your CV. But I know all of us were asked some database things. Like, what is an index?, write an SQL statement that does X, etc. Competency questions asked about strengths, teamwork and leadership. I was also given a few scenarios and asked what I would do in these. As they don't ask you about why you want to work there, you can really excel on the questions you ask them. Make sure you do your research into the company and ask about current affairs, etc. This is honestly your time to show off about how much you want to work there.

8) Technical group exercise: We were given a laptop each and had an hour to develop a system on the spec. I wont go into to many details, but none of the groups managed to get anything working. Make sure to show you have a plan, and don't just do anything. People in my team literally just sat there in silence when were given the task, so make sure you speak and come up with a plan together.

9) Speak to developers: This was not assessed and gave you the chance to ask any questions to the devs. Make sure you ask as much as possible as this is extremely helpful.

After the assessment centre, we were given the results quickly. They respond by phone whether you're successful or not, so make sure to pick it up. Good luck people.

Project Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenBet (London, England) in March 2018.

Interview

3 steps process, 2 Skype interview with HHRR and the head project mánager, last face to face interview with an Excel test and skills test.
    Interviews focused on what are your management skills and how can you help the company

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenBet (Melbourne (Australia)) in March 2018.

Interview

phone interview, then coding test, then another phone interview, and final the face to face 2 hour interview with the tech lead and development manager.

1st round phone interview just get basic info, like skills and experience.
    online coding test, 5 questions need to be finished in one hour. a little bit rush. but not that difficult.
    then the phone interview with one senior developer, asking a lot technical question. linux, java core, thread, mysql. etc
    final round, face to face, this is the most difficult part. paper based question on java and mysql. data structure and algorithm related. need to improve the solution after your after solution.

overall, difficult interview. and very good working environment and very nice and friendly people. I love to work there so much. But I didn't make it through.

Junior Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OpenBet (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2018.

Interview

Approximately 2 days after applying online, I was contacted to set up a phone screen with HR. The purpose of this first call was to offer more information about the position and the confirm my experience was in line with their requirements. After passing this step, another more substantial phone interview was setup with the team I would be working with. This interview lasted about an hour and explored my qualifications more in depth. The last step was a in-person interview, again with the team I would be working with. This interview lasted approximately 2 hours and was similar to the second phone interview, but also contained a problem solving component.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with automation and continuous integration/development?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chiswick, England

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at OpenBet (Chiswick, England) in February 2018.

Interview

The whole process was nice. I had to organize a call with the recruiter lady from Openbet. She was very friendly and nice. The process took about a month. They asked me to complete an online test with 5 questions quite easy if you are familiar with OOP programming. Then we went to an assessment day. People spoke to us about Openbet and their goals and targets for the future. Then we had a group project after dividing us into 3 teams we had to make a tower of spaghetti and blue tag with a mash mellow on top. Then we had another group project with some technical questions was quite easy and had few questions of Python and JavaScript mainly. Then was another group project to display the Bitcoin price and Dollar price from an API live using JavaScript, HTML without using any framework. The last part was an interview by two developers. I got a bit scared however I answer all the questions quite fair and correct. However on the last one I got panicked(do not stay calm) and did not go very well. So they called me few days later telling me they would like to see me again. I went again for a second interview but the questions were way more difficult so the recruitment lady called me saying "It's a no". Unfortunately, I got a no but it is fairly easy to get a "yes" and get the job. My advise would be to stay calm and answer patiently all the questions. It is not a hard interview but it's a long process and always patience. Good luck to everyone.

Interview Questions

• 1. return boolean if n is in the power of 2
      2. create a normal query by using just an inner join
      3. what are the SQL joins
      4. Where do you use order by and Group by?   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens (Greece)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OpenBet (Athens (Greece)) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process was quite quick. I had a phone screening interview with the HR person and a few days later I had a Face-To-Face interview. The interviewer was conducted by a Development manager and a Project manager.

The interviewers were cool, they were young managers and it felt like I am having a conversation with my colleagues.

Software Engineer L2 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Athens (Greece)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenBet (Athens (Greece)) in February 2018.

Interview

I was interviewed for the Athens division. The interview was divided in three parts. First, an online skill test where you had to solve at least 3 of 5 medium difficulty problems in your preferred language in a solid way. Second, a telephone technical interview that covered a variety of fields that required your basic knowledge. Third, if you passed this interview, a 3-hour technical and CV interview in company's premises. There you had also to solve 2-3 problems and present yourself. A part of this last interview was held in English.

Interview Questions

• General question about C++   1 Answer
    • Question regarding databases and SQL   1 Answer

Junior Devops Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OpenBet in January 2018.

Interview

It took only a few days after the application was sent in to get a reply via email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview did not last long for me because they were actually looking for someone with some enterprise experience and I have just graduated.

Interview Questions

• What type of work have you done with devops technology?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chiswick, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenBet (Chiswick, England) in January 2018.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and set up a phonecall to discuss the role, process, my interest and to get to know me a bit better. This lead to a coding test, 5 questions, it is more so to see your way of thinking than ability. I got two correct, two incorrect and one un-attempted but the logic was correct for the incorrect questions and this progressed me to an assessment centre. This was a full day, and personally I peaked at midday. The first part of the day plays of soft skills and personality, the second half then became very technical. This was frustrating as I knew the answers in truth but with the pressures of the day and fatigue and lack of sleep through nerves, I bombed out. A tip would be to look heavily into JavaScript, most the people on the assessment centre had worked with JavaScript but nobody enough to be tested on it. Knowing a little on SQL and web development would help in other areas. OpenBet staff, location and general feel was excellent and I would have been excited to get a job offer.

Interview Questions

• What is wrong with this algorithm? (algorithms infront of you)   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.