OpenMarket Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

OpenMarket Interview Questions

Interviews at OpenMarket

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

30 minute interview with hiring manager followed by 3.5 hour round of interviews with representatives of different teams across the organization. This was one of the least stressful interview experiences I ever had. Everybody was nice and laid back. People seemed very passionate about what they are doing.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were focused on past experience, there were some behavioral questions as well.   Answer Question

Director, Global Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

30 minute prescreen with HR and a 30-minute screen with the hiring manager. The next step was to be another comprehensive round of interviews but I didn't get past the hiring manager screen.

Interview Questions

• Experience managing a global team?   1 Answer

Sales and Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

Had a standard pre screen interview with the recruiter. About a week later had a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager in the UK. Two weeks later had an onsite interview scheduled in Seattle.

About 90 minutes before the onsite I received an email stating that the interview had been canceled and that the position had been filled. I don’t blame the recruiter as I’m sure they were just relaying the message. To say that this is unprofessional is an understatement.

I had taken a hour bus ride to Seattle, spent plenty of time preparing, and worst of all I could have interviewed with another organization. I had pushed back that interview to the following week so I could interview with OpenMarket, which is something I now regret.

If that’s how they treat candidates I wonder how they treat their employees? Go back and read the recent reviews. Something is amiss in their culture. In hindsight I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OpenMarket in January 2020.

Interview

1 HR phone screen, 1 technical phone screen (60 minutes) and 1 90 minute onsite interview. Heavy emphasis on Java. All of your answers to every coding question must be written in Java.

First HR phone screen asked typical questions about my resume, and wanted to know why I was interested in OpenMarket.

Second phone interview was a technical phone screen. One coding question and one design question. Interviewer did not seem very interested or engaged in my interview, but answered all of my questions about the company.

I heard back about the onsite interview 4 weeks later. Scheduling this onsite interview was very difficult - it was only possible to schedule it around noon which meant I had to take a day off work or skip classes.

The onsite interview had 3 30 minute portions.
    The first 30 minute interview was a conversation with the engineering manager.
    The second 30 minute interview was a design/coding question.
    The last 30 minute interview was a pure coding question.

Be careful to use Java terminology when explaining your approach to each coding problem. Knowing how to solve the problem is not as important as knowing how to do it in Java.

Do NOT talk about your approach to a problem in a language agnostic way and say, for example, "dictionary" or "hash table." Use Java specific terms and say HashMap or TreeMap.

Unfortunately, I believe my interviewers misunderstood me when I used these terms during the design portion of the onsite interview. I was dinged for mentioning "dictionary" since there is no data structure in the Java standard library called "Dictionary."

Interview Questions

• Implement a function that returns a Set containing all of the second longest stings.   Answer Question
    • Design a recipe manager for an application, and write the API for that interface.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

Had a screening with the recruiter and then a phone interview with one of the software engineers. The phone interview consisted of conceptual programming stuff such as OOP, SQL, and coding in which you would verbalize how you would do it over the phone.

I was advanced to the on-site. It was a 5 rounds of interview with many different people and teams in a span of 4 hours. 2 of the rounds were technical white boarding stuff. It wasn't too hard, just practice leetcode easy/medium questions. I left the on-site feeling good but ultimately sent me a rejection saying that they decided to pursue other candidates.

The thing I will note is that the recruiter was really hard to get a hold of. I would send an email and wouldn't get a response in like a week.

Senior Manager Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenMarket in July 2019.

Interview

I heard back about my application within just a few days, which was great. We set up time for an initial interview, which took place over video (admittedly not my favorite for an early interview). The interviewer was a person I'd be managing in the role, which can be awkward, but she did a great job. I received a rejection email within a week saying they'd moved forward with someone further along in the process. (I no longer see the job posted, so I think that may actually be the case.)

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your background.
      What is your management style?
      What is your experience managing a global team?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

Three interviews consisting of a phone behavioral, phone technical, and in-person technical/behavioral. It is your typical interview consisting of core programming knowledge and also how you apply it. From there some design questions were asked in addition to some behavioral questions like tell me about a time when XYZ.

Interview Questions

• Core Java Knowledge Questions. Abstract Vs. Interface, etc...   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Met with the recruiter in Career Fair. They asked a 2-3 very simple questions there. Scheduled a 30 min On-campus interview for next day. Questions about stuff that is not in my resume where asked. Got a rejection in 2 days.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen with a recruiter. Then I had technical phone screen about a week later. The technical interview was more like an interrogation than a discussion. The interviewer was late for the call and ran through a checklist of questions without giving me an opportunity to go off script and when I did the interviewer was audibly annoyed. By the end of the call, I was no longer interested in working at OpenMarket. In my opinion, the interviewer neglected to consider the fact that the hiring decision goes both ways. Interviewees are also deciding whether they want to hire the employer.

Lastly, the company doesn’t seem to be too interested getting interview feedback, my ding letter was sent to me from a no-reply email address. That just doesn’t seem right given the time invested by both parties. Anyway, I forwarded my feedback to the recruiter, but I never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Lots of Java and OO fundamentals, a SQL join question, and a simple algorithm question.   Answer Question

Engineering Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OpenMarket (Seattle, WA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and proceeded to engage with Human Resources. This led to an initial phone screen with HR, followed by a technical screen with a member of engineering, followed at last by a series of interviews with team members. It was all very straightforward, direct, no-nonsense, but very, very personable and a more fun and relaxed (e.g., they're legitimately nice people who want to get to know you and to see if you fit their culture and vice versa, in addition to the required technical chops) process than this often seems to be elsewhere. It didn't work out in the end, but if the chance came up again, I would cheerfully apply once more for another role and another shot. It really does seem like a fantastic place to work with good people.

Interview Questions

• A number of good, solid high end technical questions around related systems. Nothing overly hard and no inappropriate to the role questions.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.