Openreach Field Engineer Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Openreach Field Engineer Trainee Interview Questions

Interviews at Openreach

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Bedford, England) in March 2020.

Interview

Step by Step Process and Experience:

(1) Uploaded CV and completed online job application form

(3-4 Days Heard back from recruitment team to say you have been selected for a Video Interview)

(2) Video Interview, very simple, remember to relax you can turn of the screen so you can not see your self and I had interview notes behind the screen to reference, at this stage you must do research on the questions they may ask you, you get 2 attempts per question.

(3-5 Days later they invited me to an assessment center which is the final stage, be patience the next email you receive gives you the location and date of the day but there was around a 4 week period where I heard nothing, I called in to ask, the next couple of days I received that email.

(3) Assessment day, Arrive early and be prepared, have notes about the company and questions they may ask you, I had 20 candidates on the day but remember we are from different areas and not competing against each other, English, maths and ICT tests are not see what level you are working towards as you will doing a NVQ if you get the job, these are really simple and I belive they do not effect the outcome of the day. Practical test, they will give you a run down and demo of what you need to do and you have to repeat it, its really simple just connecting a few wires, stripping some wire etc, remember to wear the goggles, clean up and put tools back after. Interview time, two interviews with patch managers who look after a team of engineers, be friendly and confident, relax they have been in the same position as you (Questions are below) Before all of that you have a presentation by the recruitment manger which tells you about the job, there is some sitting around but there are experienced engineers in the room and it helps to ask the questions. Remember passport, driving licence and proof of address and do research about company.

(2-3 days later email to say you've passed or failed, I passed but they said there are not jobs in the area at the minute but they will be in touch, I believe this is a trend and am holding out for another email, this doesn't mean you don't have a job, just hold fire!)

A good experience all round, when they offer me a position you are required to go to the training center for a week which is up north, for me this is great a whole week away from the misses! Then you spend around 4-6 weeks in your local training center and then are deployed in the filed with a buddy. The whole process is very military, ive done army recruitment before and Open reaches is very much the same with out the 3 mile run.

Hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you went above and beyond for a customer   1 Answer
  • Is it more important to Openreach to gain new customers or provide outstanding health and safety   1 Answer
  • Tell me about you   1 Answer
  • Give an example of a time you witness someone avoiding health and safety regulations and what you did about it   Answer Question
  • Whats your biggest fear about this job   Answer Question
  • What does it take to be an Openreach Engineer   1 Answer
  • Where do you see your self in 10 years, whats your goal   1 Answer
  • Why do you want to join Openreach   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Openreach

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (London, England) in April 2019.

Interview

Online application, then followed by a telephone interview basic questions around why you want to work for open reach, what does customer service mean to you, then followed by assessment centre which includes 2 interview practical assessment and a English and maths assessment.

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Southampton, England) in April 2019.

Interview

Took around 3 months start to finish, online 1 way interview followed by assessment day consisting of 2 face to face interviews, maths and english test then finally a practical assessment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sevenoaks, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (Sevenoaks, England) in January 2019.

Interview

Pretty laid back, not to formal. Relaxed environment friendly staff. The assessment centre consisted of a presentation about open reach and a bit more about the role. The group was then split up half went to do English and maths assessments and the other half went to do 2 interviews, one competency and another suitability - mainly health and safety and customer service focused. followed by the practical skills assessment - Here you are shown what to do and how to use the tools provided you are given 20 minuets to copy the example placed in front of you i have no technical background and asked a few questions which got noted down and i did not finish in the time given. I hope they consider the fact that i am coming into a totally different career than what i am used to doing and i feel i excelled in all other aspects of the assessment day so i hope they give me the benefit of the doubt and give me a chance to sharpen my skills on the practical side of things. Overall a great experience and found the day to fly by would recommend applying and go from there. you have nothing to lose its all experience, I am not waiting to hear to see if i was successful i was told 5 working days.
    PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THE RECRUITER YET AS I HAVE ONLY JUST COMPLETED THE ASSESSMENT DAY. THEREFORE I HAVE SELECTED NO BEING OFFERED A JOB. WILL UPDATE IN DUE COURSE.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you have used customer service skills   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Sevenoaks, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Openreach (Sevenoaks, England) in September 2018.

Interview

4 hour interview ,2 interviews,maths and English assessment and technical ability test. Friendly staff who try to keep you at case.
    Found the computer testing machine to be tempermental and lose my answers more than once . Good company striving to be better

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation where u went above and beyond   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Bristol, England) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied online in June, had an video interview wasn’t very comfortable with this but was ok in the end. Passed video interview, the had to attend assessment centre. This consisted of a Maths and English test, practical and 2 face to face interviews.

Interview Questions

• About yourself
      About the company
      Situation awareness questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (Bristol, England).

Interview

Whole process flew by, starting with situational skills test a day later, after initial application was sent. Everything is done online up until the assessment day.
    Then only the video interview which was an week after situational skills. To me this was the only tricky part of the application process, you are pretty much staring at yourself and the screen whilst trying to answer the questions infront of you.

Upon being successful on this, I was then onto an assessment centre (Bristol). I was oddly confident for this day, despite reading up certain negative comments. I felt relaxed, and welcomed. After arriving, filling out certain information it started off with an presentation. The group then split in half, the skills test and interviews were first for me.

Skills test consists of different wiring, connecting wires via crimping, terminating wiring ect on a wooden block. Bottom row is unfinished, the top is a demo which is fully complete. Copy it as best you can and take your time. Check each wire is secure, if you finish early go back over your work and neaten it up if needed. You have a tool bag, with all the tools provided. If you haven't used the tools before ask!

Then onto the interviews. Split in two, situational and compatibility I think it was. First one was orientated around who are you, why do you want to work for Openreach. And health and safety.

Second, situational was more about customer service and difficult situations. They really do delve into your answer, so expected to be further questioned on your answers. Both were fine.

Then, Maths and English assessment 40 minutes each. Brush up on your skills here online a little beforehand. I didn't, but I ended up doing quite well anyways luckily. But realistically I would recommend doing so.

Day lasted around 5 hours, get to speak to engineers inbetween periods of waiting for the other group ect. Ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a difficult situation you faced, how you resolved it   Answer Question
    • what is health and safety, why do we need it, what would you do upon stumbling a hazard   Answer Question
    • what is openreach, what do you think an engineer does day to day?   Answer Question
    • tell me about a difficult customer you have to deal with   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (Ipswich, England) in February 2018.

Interview

The day started at 08:00 with a presentation by one of the recruitment team. Typically you would ask any questions about the job or the day at this point, although there is Openreach engineers and the recruitment team floating about to answer any questions you may have. Personally I asked a tonne of questions.

I was then invited in for my two interviews, one after the other with two different interviewers. First interview was more customer experience based and second was around BT and Openreach. These interviews were the most laid back I have ever had, it allowed me to come out of my shell easier.

We then had our skills test, it is no longer as simple as wiring a 13a plug. We wired a couple BT master sockets and some simple wiring on the side, we were shown a demonstration on how to use the tools and how to complete the wiring beforehand.

Finally we had our maths and English assessments, you have 40 minutes per test to complete them, this is plenty of time so you do not need to rush.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Openreach?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time you have had to deal with a complaint, would you change how you handled the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Ipswich, England) in January 2018.

Interview

Video interview, face to face interview, practical assessment, Maths and English Test. applied in November, start in March. the face to face ineterview were scenario based interview, one on one. they also asked about myself and were interested in my approach to health and safety

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you solved a problem   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (Ipswich, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I submitted CV online and didn't hear anything back for several weeks. I then had an email inviting me to take an online situational strength test. This involved 12 different scenarios with 5 options which you had rank from your most to least favoured option. None of the answers were obviously wrong so my advice would be to be consistent in your answers as this would at least show that you have read the question carefully and thought about your response.

I was then asked to do an online interview answering questions into a webcam, unless you are a Millennial who is totally comfortable with presenting yourself in this sort of way, do not underestimate how hard it is to talk fluently about yourself without any sort of feedback, eye contact or normal conversational cues. I did and I bombed badly. I had hoped that having served an apprenticeship at BT Research Labs. and having an ONC in electronic and communications may have mitigated my poor presentational style, but apparently not.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Openreach?
      What are your strengths etc?
      Standard open-ended vague interview type questions.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.