QA Graduate Trainee Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

1 Interview Review

2.0

Graduate Trainee Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at QA (Manchester, England) in December 2019.

Interview

The stages of the interview process are:
- Phone Interview
- Online Programming Test
- Assessment Day

The phone interview was simply a case of confirming my details and work ambitions.

The online programming test was easy, especially since all the information needed to pass is provided in a PDF that is supplied.

The assessment day involved group exercises and was very casual. Throughout the day, candidates were pulled aside for 1-to-1 interviews.
Interview questions during my assessment day were all "competency based questions", which I was completely unprepared for. This was mostly my own fault for having overlooked the PDF attachment to my invitation email, which details what to expect and provides links to resources that prepare you for such questions.

My advice when applying for this and similar roles is to ensure you know what to expect during the assessment day.

In my case there was conflicting information about what to expect: the invitation email suggested we bring our own laptops if possible, and that we be prepared to discuss university projects and our knowledge of the technology sector; on the day, we did not use computers at all, and the only questions were of the "competency based interview" style. Since I'd been expecting to be assessed on technical aspects as suggested by the contents of the invitation email, I spent all my time revising for such.
Only after being declined for the position, I looked through the information I had been given more thoroughly and found the PDF attached to the invitation email. The PDF gave an accurate description of what should have been expected during the assessment day, with links to useful resources.
Had I known what to expect and what "competency" based interview questions are, I would have put many of those hours of preparation into preparing stories that showcase my relevant past experiences and what I learnt from them, which is the format of answer expected for such interviews.

I recommend researching "competency based interview questions" and how to answer them.

If you need to travel for several hours to get to the assessment day, I would suggest travelling on the day before and staying the night nearby if you can afford it. What's more important though, is to have your answers prepared for the most common competency based questions. It is actually recommended to avoid using your imagination during such interviews, and a lack of sleep won't affect your ability to recall a rehearsed story as much as it would your creativity and problem solving abilities.

One other thing to note: I checked the reviews on Glassdoor before attending, and came across reviews that reported technical assessment during the assessment day. This suggests that sometimes there may be a mix of technical and competency questions/activities.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to explain something technical to someone.   1 Answer
  • Describe a time when you have worked in a team to achieve something.   1 Answer
  • Describe a time when you did something to make someone happy. Explain why you think that action made the person happy.   1 Answer
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.