QA Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 January 2019

3.2
William Macpherson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a lot of really great people working at QA which is one of the main reasons I have been here so long and see myself here way into the future" (in 14 reviews)

• "great place to start your high-profile first job" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Training is unpaid for three months" (in 7 reviews)

• "2 year contract if you leave or fired within 2 years you will have to pay back" (in 5 reviews)

"Best humans you'll ever meet"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at QA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, Culture, Social Time, Management

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

In all honesty it is the best job I've had. I've not been here long and everyone has been so warm and welcoming.

All of the recruiters and operations team felt like friends from my first day. I honestly feel like no matter how busy someone is I can always ask for help and they'll stop what they are doing to support.

I've been consistently given feedback and recognition about my performance which really helps me improve and I've also been offered the opportunity to learn code which is something I've never considered but have really enjoyed!

I believe the opportunities we offer grads are second to none.

Nothing feels better than meeting the grads on Assessment Days after talking them through the role and then offering them the job :)

This was my first role as a recruiter and I would 100% recommend it. As with any recruitment role it can be tough but I feel like there is no impact on my work life balance and that the people really have helped guide me into becoming a well rounded recruiter.

"Supportive employer"

Current Employee - Skills Coach in London, England
    Current Employee - Skills Coach in London, England

I have been working at QA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can only speak personally but all my managers have been fantastic. They have all worked up from Skills Coach so they know the challenges and will support you with challenges. Get the feeling that the company as a whole really gets the sector and are unwilling to compromise on quality for bums on seats.

Cons

Maybe a bit more opportunity for career development training but then I have been here less than a year so this may be too early to tell.

Advice to Management

Keep the unwillingness to compromise on quality and backing your Skills Coaches. It is felt and appreciated.

"Forward thinking and going places"

Current Employee - IT Systems Engineer in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - IT Systems Engineer in Leeds, England

I have been working at QA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Positive outlook
    - Focus on work life balance
    - Great bunch of talented individuals
    - Always striving to improve

Cons

Like every growing company, work load can be challenging. The work load at QA can be full on but is also very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the people at the heart of QA.

"A provider worth joining!"

Current Employee - Regional Delivery Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Delivery Manager in London, England

I have been working at QA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Progression available across the organisation
    - Supportive management team
    - Opportunities to share ideas and new ways of thinking
    - Inclusivity

Cons

- The way in which expenses are submitted, paperbased submissions are extremely dated. In previous companies I've used expense Apps.
    - Due to growth, sometimes the systems we use do not meet the demand which can cause delays in the way in which change is implemented timely.

Advice to Management

Being in management I'd say that we all do an amazing job; taking on board feedback and working with different departments to ensure that solutions are found and implemented effectively and sufficiently.
    I have found managers above me, including my own, extremely supportive and promote unity and respect.

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Trainer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Trainer in Manchester, England

I have been working at QA (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent learning/work environment.
    Very helpful trainers and staff.
    As an employee of QA, you have access to all of the course material, allowing you to improve and learn beyond your job scope.
    Consistent support from day 1 of training, which continues in to deployment.
    Front door is next to a tram stop, so great accessibility for commuters.

Cons

Each topic can ramp up in difficulty fairly quickly, so there may be a extra focus on self studying from home if the trainee is struggling

"QA Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at QA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Met really great and like minded people
    - Trainers go above and beyond
    - Accommodation is nice and near training
    - Learned more than i did at Uni
    - A ton of clients to work for
    - Pool table and competitions are a nice break

Cons

- Bit of a pain to not have income during training but the accommodation is worth it
    - Can be stressful at times with projects and stuff
    - Sad to leave some of the friends I made in training to start at my client

Advice to Management

You can tell the office staff actually want to be here which is great, everyone is really helpful. Don't think there's much i would change about my time in training.

"QA consultant"

Current Employee - QA Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - QA Consultant in London, England

I have been working at QA (Less than a year)

Pros

- Training provided
    - Help you secure a job post your graduation
    - Helpful staff
    - Able to travel/relocate

Cons

-Starting salary is not sufficent, if only they paid more
    - Procedures too lengthy for expenses
    - Only 20 days holiday

21 Jan 2019 – Managing Director, Consulting - QA

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. It is clear from your 3 star rating and some of our other consultant reviews in the last few days that there is more to be done to ensure... More

"QA? or QA Not?"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at QA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great place to start your high-profile first job. Lots of training and lots of experience. Highly agile environment, most o trainer having a great logical mind, have the luxury to explore all the cutting-edge technology,.

Cons

Nothing much. few issues should always be there, but a learner can always ignore them and get the best out of it.

Advice to Management

all the trainee needs more love, more delicate care, need more time to understand the basics before jumping into the high-level technology stack. All the weekly knowledge test would be best if taken on every Monday, rather than Friday.

21 Jan 2019 – Managing Director, Consulting - QA

A 4 star review is always great to see, but hopefully in time we will get it up to a 5 star one. Reading that you are getting lots of opportunity to explore and grow is always rewarding to hear as... More

"Think very carefully before you join"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England

I worked at QA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free beer Friday’s
    Good social environment (graduates are great, perm staff hate each other)
    There’s a few people at QA who are worth the pain of working there (3 to be exact)

Cons

1. You are NOT guaranteed a job after training - even if you’re good at what you do. They’ll hire too many people & then put you on the bench till they find a job for ya.
    2. The pay for permanent staff is a joke. You make the company hundreds of thousands of pounds (recruitment especially) and you get £50 commission 😂
    3. The management in the academy is ridiculous. One minute they’re your best friend letting you have 2 hour lunches drinking wine, next minute they have you at a formal disciplinary cause you breathed the wrong way.
    4. No matter how nice your recruiter is, always remember you are a number on their target board and £50 on their wage slip.

Advice to Management

Get new management.
    Stop manipulating graduates.
    Don’t put the wrong people in senior positions - remember how they act at Christmas parties.

"QA is where ambition and creativity go to die"

Current Employee - IT Consultant
    Current Employee - IT Consultant

I have been working at QA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You don't need any Computer Science experience to be an IT Consultant for QA, they'll hire anyone!

Cons

You can be relocated anywhere in the country at short notice
    Your pay rises are not related to performance, so even if you take extra work and responsibilities you get paid same as those who just do the bare minimum.
    Your training may or may not be related or usefult in your work
    You will be trainined on basics of programming, even if you have a masters in CS and it's obviously a waste of time
    You will be asked to pay £12,000 if you decide to leave in the first 2 years
    You will be told you wil be a Software Developer, use Big Data, AWS etc. but end up doing IT Support work most of the time

Advice to Management

You attract some skilled and talented people if you want to keep them happy, pay them based on performance, assign them to teams and contract where they can thrive.

21 Jan 2019 – Managing Director, Consulting - QA

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review. It is clear that I have an issue that I am determined to sort so that no one else feels so negatively about the QA business. Some of the... More