Reading Room Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Reading Room Interview Questions

2.7

Java Web Developer Interview

Interview

Very insensitive interview process. Applied for a position that was advertised for the melbourne office. Head of recruitment in APAC personally contacts me and asks me to answer a long questionnaire about my experiences, why I'd like to work for reading room, current position, etc. Spend a lot of time and effort filling up this form and send it off to them. She then contacts me to say that the position is not available for Melbourne but for other cities in Australia.

Ridiculous waste of time. The ethical thing to do would be to just update the position description on the website or check if the role is still vacant in Melbourne before contacting me.

Interview Questions

• > Many thanks for applying at Reading Room. We'll be reviewing your application in more detail in the next day or so and in the meantime, would love to know a bit more about you.
      > Can you tell us something about your medium-term career goals? We'd be especially interested to hear how you think Reading Room can help you achieve these goals. It would also be good to know a few things about your current situation (residency status, availability, previous salary and salary expectations).   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reading Room.

Interview

After weeks of emails back and forth asking questions about salary, I was finally invited for a formal interview. When I first walked in, the office director shouted at an employee about attending to me. This interview was split into 3 parts - a logic test, a code test and an informal chat.
    The logic test involved answering 50 multiple choice questions by solving a sequence of shapes and patterns. I was given 20 minutes to complete all 50 and almost did.

I was then given 30 minutes to complete a code test which was far too short to get even close to finishing. The code test involved redesigning a front-end functional form while focusing on clean and maintainable code. Given my years of experience and strong portfolio, I found this test pretty insulting.

Interview Questions

• The interview was quite straightforward however the code test was unenjoyable.   1 Answer

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Reading Room (Singapore (Singapore)) in September 2015.

Interview

The process was simple. I had applied through Linkedin and the HR contacted me asking to give an essay about myself and about my short term goals. Then I was called on for the first round with the HR after a week. This was very simple logic test and immediately had a HR discussion. After few days HR mailed saying I was selected for the next round and it would be requiements gathering kind of round. I was given two project scopes to choose from. There were some holidays and stuff and so the interview got pushed to three weeks further. Finally I met with the Manager and showcased what I was asked to do. Though the presentation was good, our backgrounds didnt align and they told me we are looking for someone with very similar experience since its a senior role. Same day HR mailed and informed I was not selected!.

Interview Questions

• Two projects at the same time, both nearing deadlines. How will you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Reading Room (London, England) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and got reply back from director straight away asking me more about my background and what do i know about industry? I replied in professional manner and got interview. Company's work environment was pretty good. I was told for not to be a formal. So, I was there in casual (I told to do so). I was approached by recruitment officer and she gave me logical test to do, which was okay not hard. After that, she asked me all cheeky questions and I answered all of them. I didn't get through may be because of my accent. I don't have british accent and I guess RR has most of british clients.

Technical Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Reading Room (London, England) in March 2014.

Interview

2 stage:
    - First with HR, included general question about experience and career progression, included a logic test
    - Second with a senior developer, more work specific questions, included a paper based code test

Technical Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Reading Room (London, England) in January 2014.

Interview

The first round is logical test, i think it is quite easy. The second round is technical interview, questions are not very difficult, most of them are very basic. The third round would be an interview with your line manager, more about personality questions.

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Reading Room (London, England) in October 2014.

Interview

Long and quite disconnected:
    Personality test, out of date and bizarre problem solving test, interview with recruiter, interview with Director, interview with 2 members of the creative team and a test brief.

I was determined to get the job but I'm not too disappointed I didn't get it because a number of warning signs went off for me during the process. It's hard to pin it down but sometimes you just get bad vibes.

I'm willing to accept there was a better candidate - I am not long a Senior Designer so perhaps they wanted someone with more experience - but after giving up a lot of time, including most of a weekend to complete the brief I was upset they didn't give me any feedback at all despite my asking 3 times.

They stated several times they were taking the time to find the right designer, and even though all of my interviews ran over and I had some fantastic chats with the staff - all of whom I got on with - I got the impression from the interview that they weren't really taking that much care.

Interview Questions

• 'Sorry I don't really know who you are, can you explain'   1 Answer

Front-End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Reading Room (London, England) in January 2015.

Interview

Absolutely atrocious interview, the worst I have ever experienced. I made my way promptly in time to their offices and checked in with reception and asked for the person who arranged the interview, I was told she no longer worked there and someone else would be with me (this set alarm bells ringing as I arranged the interview only 3/4 days prior). Half an hour after my arranged time someone showed up to greet me (I highly suspected they werent even expecting me). She very briefly discussed my skills, experience interests and ambitions in about 3 questions then moved on, no follow up questions to my answers. Clearly didn't give a toss.

I was then given 10 year+, falling apart exercise book and 20 minutes to complete some sort of logical tests, these were fine and not really difficult but it felt incredibly archaic and a bit demeaning that I was being assessed on such a test.

Next up was the worst part, I was asked to recreate a fairly basic website from an image (as a front-end dev this was my moment to shine!) However I was handed a very old, slow, windows laptop with an unheard of IDE (I have not touched Windows for 5-6 years and am very familiar with my IDE, webstorm) I expressed my unfamiliarity with Windows and asked if I could use my own laptop that I had bought with me. I was told no, the reason? because I "needed files on their laptop" (two stock picture files and one text file for copy and pasting). I was given an hour to do this task.

After that the interviewer woman didn't even bother to come back in and see how I had done and I was met by one of the lead developers whom I had a brief chat with (The only good part of the interview) then shown out. If I'm honest he should of been doing the entire process even though the first lady was an actual recruiter/HR for the company.

To top things off, while working on the website task there were two employees playing ping pong directly outside my (glass) interview room the entire time. They were being very loud and distracting, I got the impression they were playing and being loud deliberately to show off how "cool" their workplace was. I love chilled out working environments but playing for over an hour, loudly, next to an interviewing candidate. Seriously?

I had read some terrible things about ReadingRoom before I interviewed and thought they were probably just disgruntled employees but everything I had read was apparent (I didn't get the pleasure of meeting the apparent megalomaniac CEO thank god).

It was also made clear after a bit of googling the company essentially forces its employees to write positive glass door reviews (notice how they all read pretty much the same) and "buy" their numerous awards.

Do yourself a favour and don't even bother applying here. There are so many better places (as I have now realised). In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't get an offer otherwise I wouldn't be where I am now.

I have never, ever taken to ranting online before so this should emphasises how much of a toxic company it seemed (Employee reviews seem to agree). Stay clear. Margaret, sort your company out.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about 3 questions in total..   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reading Room (London, England) in April 2015.

Interview

I was handed a logic test - 20 minutes time to complete - gets easier by the minute. Then was handed a few email trails printed on paper (admin tasks test) to read through and write down my thoughts on what I would do, as my manager was out of office and the emails were send to his/her inbox - easy to do but, although given 30 minutes, there was not sufficient time to do read through all email trails.

So - left alone for 55 minutes at first.

I don't necessarily think that these types of tests would do justice to everyone's capabilities.

Secondly, met with a Manager and talked for about 20 mins about my experience. I expressed my desire to also take part in manpower planning at one point in the future - but was told that that was not a part of the job. Perhaps if they would have said that it's not currently a requirement but moving forward that would be an option it would have been ok - but their response was just "we're [the managers] better at that". I see recruitment as an extension of HR, and something that brings, in addition to saving time for HR and the management, other benefits too. Maybe I'm too ambitious.

By the end of the interview I had lost interest in the job - the Manager did not really make me want to ask any questions - I just didn't feel that I'd fit in. They said they wanted someone that would fit in just right - I did not believe I was the right person for them.

Interview Questions

• How do you do recruitment? How would you act in a difficult situation? etc.   Answer Question

Senior UI Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Reading Room.

Interview

I had two face to face interviews. They gave me and offer and after that they declined it. I spent a weekend doing a task for RR that was supposed to share with a team of designers but it was just a copy righter person without interest and knowledge about my task checking it.

Very bad experience. I am actually happy of not going further with this application.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate people in the team?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.