SSE Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

SSE Interview Questions

Updated 6 Dec 2017

2.9

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Telephone, TX (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

It was a 10-minute telephone interview after an online application and some online verbal and numerical reasoning test. The recruiter was a bit unfriendly and there was lot of noise in the background, which I didn't like. The questions were competency-based. After that, the next step was the assessment center

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to this programme?

What did you do to enhance your career except of your studies?   Answer Question

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

Applied by filling an online application form. The next stage was to first complete a situational judgement test and if that was successful, be asked to do a numerical reasoning test. The following stage was a video interview.

Interview Questions

• When did you and a team come up with an innovative concept and what challenges did you face ?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

I believe it was an application form, psychometric tests, interviews and then assessment centre. I only got passed the psychometric tests before I got rejected. I can't remember much of the application form and I believe they used the SHL tests for the psychometric tests.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SSE in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks
    Interview

Online application with CV submission and a few questions on motivation and reason for applying.
    Following this there was a round of online psychometric tests (only numerical ).
    Then a recorded video interview about compentency question

Interview Questions

• why did you want to join this specific programme (what is key benefit for your future career and what do you want to do in the future )
      a question about given an example of new idea and the result
      a question about top 3 challenge of energy industry   Answer Question

Trainee Smart Meter Installer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

1) online application - fairly rigerrous application.

2) online tests - this consisted of competency, mechanical reasoning and a switch board questionnaire.

3) telephone interview - competenacy based interview lasting around 15 mins.

4) assessment centre - even though I passed the telephone interview, I was then told , a day after passing the phone interview, that there were no spaces available.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE (Reading, England) in August 2017.

Interview

Asked to pre prepare a consultancy brief and to present this in any format of my choice. Was then asked to go through my CV. Afterwards was told to expect a second interview with my interviewer's boss. This never materialised and I never received feedback, despite chasing HR after a couple of weeks.... Not at all what I expected from a FTSE 100 company.

Interview Questions

• Asked how to improve work winning.   1 Answer

Trainee Smart Meter Installer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Treforest, Wales

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Treforest, Wales) in August 2017.

Interview

1: Online Application form - Lengthy but straightforward process.
    2: Online tests - I was required to sit 4 tests consisting of a personality test, a mechanical skills test, a math and logic test and a command card test. Nothing too difficult.
    3: Telephone interview - Pretty standard interview questions, again nothing too difficult. Just research the company and the role.
    4: Assessment Centre - Manual dexterity test (bend wire according to spec, use tools provided), Customer service based role play, you can take notes/use provided notes during role play, just follow the script. Final part was a colour blindness test. I'm not colour blind but don't be put off if you are, they said they would just need to make adjustments to suit you.

The reason this was a negative experience for me was because I had to travel over 400 miles each way to attend the assessment centre only to receive an email the next day saying all positions had been filled, despite passing everything. This would have been nice to know prior to spending a fortune on fuel and putting unnecessary miles on my car. I would have just waited for a closer assessment centre opening up if I knew this. I have been added to the 'talent pool' so that if a position opens up in my area they will contact me but we will see... Haven't heard anything yet and it's been over a month so far...

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

Passed the first two stages and the next was the telephone interview stage. The Interviewer called 5 mins before the time. it was kind of straight forward. there was no time for jokes. Mostly practical questions. In about 15mins or less than that, the interview was over.

Interview Questions

• If your manager asked you to post an important letter before the close of day but you forgot, and your manager comes to you by 4:15 to ask if the letter was posted, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • A difficult customer calls you with an issue that will take 30 minutes to sort out, then immediately, another customer calls with an issue that will take about an hour to sort out, what would you do?   Answer Question

Smart Metering Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Willenhall, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SSE (Willenhall, England) in August 2017.

Interview

3 stage interview process, first up telephone Interview, saled through, standard questions about situations and skills you would need in the prospective role. A couple of days later, email to confirm I had progressed to the next stage. The next stage was online assessment, maths and verbal reasoning, simple enough if you practice. I then got an email to confirm I was to come for interview the following week. I attended the interview, was straight forward, standard questions, had worked with one of the interviewers previously. We had got on really well working for another energy company for a number of years. I had managed a team whilst working for this other provider so was able to provide several examples to hit the questions asked. I came out of the interview and received extremely positive signals, stating how well I had interviewed. I was told I would hear the start of the following week. 3 weeks later still heard nothing. Eventually after checking their website everyday, the status of my application changed to unsuccessful. I called SSE HR straight away for feedback, spoke to the senior hr manager. I was advised the hiring manager would call me. 2 weeks later, still heard nothing. I know I had done extremely well during the whole process, cannot understand a) why I did not get the job b) the total lack of communication and honesty. Still gutted as I was really interested in the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe the relevant skills you possess in order to satsify a number if situations.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

Followed the normal recruitment process and carried out the online tests. Not such an arduous task. The online tests were simple enough so long as you sit somewhere quiet. Telephone interview was relaxed based on Health and Safety, Customer Service and a bit about the company. Managed to weave some of the stuff I had read into the answers.

Interview Questions

• Why is Heath and Safety important?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.