SSE Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

SSE Interview Questions

Updated 5 Oct 2017

2.9

Unity Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SSE (Jacksonville, FL (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Sat down with the both the lead programmer and HR person. Most of their questions seemed to come from a preset question bank. Most of them where c++/c# questions with a bit of Unity and networking questions thrown in.

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Telephone, TX (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

It was a 10-minute telephone interview after an online application and some online verbal and numerical reasoning test. The recruiter was a bit unfriendly and there was lot of noise in the background, which I didn't like. The questions were competency-based. After that, the next step was the assessment center

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to this programme?

What did you do to enhance your career except of your studies?   Answer Question

Trainee Smart Meter Installer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

1) online application - fairly rigerrous application.

2) online tests - this consisted of competency, mechanical reasoning and a switch board questionnaire.

3) telephone interview - competenacy based interview lasting around 15 mins.

4) assessment centre - even though I passed the telephone interview, I was then told , a day after passing the phone interview, that there were no spaces available.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE (Reading, England) in August 2017.

Interview

Asked to pre prepare a consultancy brief and to present this in any format of my choice. Was then asked to go through my CV. Afterwards was told to expect a second interview with my interviewer's boss. This never materialised and I never received feedback, despite chasing HR after a couple of weeks.... Not at all what I expected from a FTSE 100 company.

Interview Questions

• Asked how to improve work winning.   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

Passed the first two stages and the next was the telephone interview stage. The Interviewer called 5 mins before the time. it was kind of straight forward. there was no time for jokes. Mostly practical questions. In about 15mins or less than that, the interview was over.

Interview Questions

• If your manager asked you to post an important letter before the close of day but you forgot, and your manager comes to you by 4:15 to ask if the letter was posted, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • A difficult customer calls you with an issue that will take 30 minutes to sort out, then immediately, another customer calls with an issue that will take about an hour to sort out, what would you do?   Answer Question

Smart Metering Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Willenhall, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SSE (Willenhall, England) in August 2017.

Interview

3 stage interview process, first up telephone Interview, saled through, standard questions about situations and skills you would need in the prospective role. A couple of days later, email to confirm I had progressed to the next stage. The next stage was online assessment, maths and verbal reasoning, simple enough if you practice. I then got an email to confirm I was to come for interview the following week. I attended the interview, was straight forward, standard questions, had worked with one of the interviewers previously. We had got on really well working for another energy company for a number of years. I had managed a team whilst working for this other provider so was able to provide several examples to hit the questions asked. I came out of the interview and received extremely positive signals, stating how well I had interviewed. I was told I would hear the start of the following week. 3 weeks later still heard nothing. Eventually after checking their website everyday, the status of my application changed to unsuccessful. I called SSE HR straight away for feedback, spoke to the senior hr manager. I was advised the hiring manager would call me. 2 weeks later, still heard nothing. I know I had done extremely well during the whole process, cannot understand a) why I did not get the job b) the total lack of communication and honesty. Still gutted as I was really interested in the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe the relevant skills you possess in order to satsify a number if situations.   Answer Question

Trainee Smart Meter Installer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Treforest, Wales

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Treforest, Wales) in August 2017.

Interview

1: Online Application form - Lengthy but straightforward process.
    2: Online tests - I was required to sit 4 tests consisting of a personality test, a mechanical skills test, a math and logic test and a command card test. Nothing too difficult.
    3: Telephone interview - Pretty standard interview questions, again nothing too difficult. Just research the company and the role.
    4: Assessment Centre - Manual dexterity test (bend wire according to spec, use tools provided), Customer service based role play, you can take notes/use provided notes during role play, just follow the script. Final part was a colour blindness test. I'm not colour blind but don't be put off if you are, they said they would just need to make adjustments to suit you.

The reason this was a negative experience for me was because I had to travel over 400 miles each way to attend the assessment centre only to receive an email the next day saying all positions had been filled, despite passing everything. This would have been nice to know prior to spending a fortune on fuel and putting unnecessary miles on my car. I would have just waited for a closer assessment centre opening up if I knew this. I have been added to the 'talent pool' so that if a position opens up in my area they will contact me but we will see... Haven't heard anything yet and it's been over a month so far...

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SSE.

Interview

Followed the normal recruitment process and carried out the online tests. Not such an arduous task. The online tests were simple enough so long as you sit somewhere quiet. Telephone interview was relaxed based on Health and Safety, Customer Service and a bit about the company. Managed to weave some of the stuff I had read into the answers.

Interview Questions

• Why is Heath and Safety important?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SSE in April 2017.

Interview

Online application process. After submitting the application there was an email inviting me to complete some online tests. These consisted of a mechanical reasoning test and other mental reasoning tests, which were not difficult, they just required good concentration.

I was the invited to a telephone interview, which consisted of customer service style competency based questioning. Advice: research the company well, look up their history and their values. I worked the values into one of my answers and this seemed well received. Answer questions using the technique. I was emailed almost immediately after the interview with an invite to the assessment day.

The assessment day was very relaxed, there was a manual dexterity test which was to bend a wire according to a diagram, using pliers/cutters, safety gloves and glasses. Then there was a role play situation where the interviewer plays the customer and I play the role I have applied for. Very easy if you have ever had a customer service role, as this plays a big part of the role, it's not just about installing the meters. If you can demonstrate you are good at interacting with customers, this is what they are looking for.

The final part was a colour blindness test.

If you receive an offer, you will undertake a background check, just make sure you do not fabricate your work history etc as they are very thorough.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time where you gave exceptional customer service.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basingstoke, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at SSE (Basingstoke, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview was quite standard and was invited to a face to face interview.
    For the face to face I had to produce and deliver a 15 minute presentation, which was fine however the presentation was then printed off rather than given the option to use a projector.
    Hiring managers were both very nice and asked very general project management questions nothing too taxing for a competent PM.
    After being told they would be making a decision within a week I waited nearly 4 weeks only to be told they didn’t have the funding secured for the position! A huge shock and very unprofessional from SSE, a lot of wasted time and effort cost of travel and time off. I wouldn’t apply for another role at SSE.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.