Scott Logic Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Scott Logic

3.3

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scott Logic (Edinburgh, Scotland) in August 2015.

Interview

The process consists of a series of interviews:
    -A short phone interview (typically 15 to 20 minutes).
    -Up to 2 face-to-face technical interviews with Scott Logic consultants focusing on technical and design skills and problem solving aptitude.
    -A face-to-face interview with the Head of Development focusing on consultancy competencies, soft skills and cultural fit to the role and the organisation.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about Java fundamentals: Polymorphism, Generics, Collections...
      Some questions about design patterns.
      They want you to think out the box and communicate with the interviewer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Scott Logic.

Interview

Had to hand in a cv and cover letter. Then an onsite interview where they gave you a couple of java programs to code in 20 minutes, followed by some logic questions. Then another last-round interview with logic questions, general programming questions, and some questions on your CV.

Interview Questions

• Can you name some of the implementations of the Collections interface in java, and their differences?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Scott Logic.

Interview

Very quick turn around, i applied online and i got an email on the same day asking for best time for a face to face interview. The following week i had a technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Palindrome string in java+ 5 hats of 2 different colors 3 people in a room find out who is wearing what color   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scott Logic.

Interview

Comprised of two face to face interviews, both asking questions about background and then more technical questions to test your skills. They were logic based questions so they were looking to see how you would approach the problem, rather than test your technical knowledge of programming languages.

Interview Questions

• Create an algorithm to determine whether a string with multiple types of brackets is a valid string   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Scott Logic (Edinburgh, Scotland) in March 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by one Senior and one Junior Developer. The interview was in three parts. First they talked about the position and what projects interns worked on before. I was given a logical puzzle next followed by some technical questions. I was given the opportunity to ask questions at the end.

The was rather relaxed and the interviewers were really friendly.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to solve a logical puzzle about divers trapped in a cave filling with water. I was supposed to figure out in what order the divers were supposed to escape.   Answer Question
    • I indicated the programming language I feel most comfortable in when I applied. The interviewers asked me questions specific to that language about data collections and object-orientation.   Answer Question
    • How did you find out about this position and why do you want to work for Scott Logic?   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Scott Logic (Edinburgh, Scotland) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was first invited to have an informal chat with their Head of UX over the phone. That went well so I progressed to the second and final stage. The second stage was an on-site interview with two designers and then the final in-person interview with the Head of UX. At the time, I was based in London so I was asked to come to Edinburgh for the on-site interview (that's where most of the UX team and their head are based).

In the interview with the two designers I was asked to outline a process of how I would approach solving a specific problem that was presented to me (tracking time of employees). The other part was playing a game of drawing cards from 3 piles: type of users, interest, platform and then sketch a solution for that random scenario.

I didn't enjoy interviewing with the two designers. They seemed uninterested in me as a candidate / potential future coworker. They seemed like they didn't want to be there as they seemed to get the interview sorted, unwilling to have a normal chat with me.

After a few days the recruiter came back to me with their feedback. Among that, they stated that my type of work doesn't align well with what they're doing and what they need. This is something they knew before I went for the on-site interview (they evaluated my work based on the portfolio I submitted beforehand) and could save me the costs of the trip to Edinburgh which I had to cover myself. Very disrespectful, based on my experience I would not recommend applying for a position at this company.

Interview Questions

• What is something that you noticed at other people that you would like to be more like and what is something that you noticed at other people that you would like to be less like?   Answer Question
    • What is the latest book that you read and what is it about?   Answer Question

Administrative Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scott Logic (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied for this position via linkedin. Got my 1st interview (on the phone) very shortly after; Was then selected to a face to face interview in their office. Interview lasted around 90 minutes where I had to take a small test. Very shortly after, I was invited for the final stage of the interview. Scott Logic was very professional and very good at communicating and giving you feedback. I did not have to chase them once. The way you get treated during interviews normally says a lot about the company.

Interview Questions

• Short exercises related to managing priorities, managing diaries, booking flights   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scott Logic (Edinburgh, Scotland) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a 3 stage interview process, a half hour technical phone screen, then a technical interview in person, which consisted of a series of logic and design questions. There was then a further in person interview which started with similar technical/logic exercises as the second interview, but which moved on to a softer style of questions going in to more depth about my experience and background etc. Different people at different levels in the company gave the interviews at the various stages which helped to get an idea of the range and type of people that work there.

Interview Questions

• Design a set of models to control a robot and be able to replay past actions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Scott Logic (Edinburgh, Scotland) in October 2013.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, mostly on syntax. Then two rounds of hour long puzzle, programming and design questions in person. I fell down on the design questions, and to be honest, when they explained the answer to one of them I felt that what they were suggesting was quite a messy solution. I got the feeling they were a little too focused on design patterns rather than good design.

It was a bit annoying that they spread the hour long interviews out over two separate days, and then asked similar questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Scott Logic (Bristol, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with tech questions, second interview with logic questions and pseudo code. There are then two further face to face interviews more focused on what type of person you are.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to match brackets in an input if all opening brackets have a matching ending bracket of the same type the input it valid.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.