Thames Water Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Thames Water Interview Questions

Updated 5 Oct 2017

2.9

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thames Water.

Interview

The interview process was part of the assessment centre. Firstly, you had a interview with a manager or someone similar. The interview lasted 40 minutes with some in-depth competency based questions and some about your knowledge of Thames Water. Then after, you had a written exercise where you had to write a response to a customer complaint and lastly a group exercise.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about Thames Water?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thames Water (Reading, England).

Interview

Full On! 1 Telephone interview, 3 separate face to face interviews. I was requested to send a scanned copy of my passport in advance on the 1st face to face interview (which I did and had a response). On the day of the 1st interview I was "told off" for not sending the scan. When I showed proof of email response from them it was dismissed.
    After the final interview (weeks apart) I immediately followed up and feed back my experience. 3 weeks later I had a call to say they were considering me.
    2 weeks after this I head nothing so again I followed up as I was considering a different offer. Very disjointed process. But a good indicator of the company.

Interview Questions

• I like the team to draw me a picture every week to represent how the week has gone. What would you draw me? (!!)   1 Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Thames Water (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Seemed chaotic and disorderly. Going from one room to the other. Sit in a room write on a piece of paper why you want to join Thames Water, sit around wait for ages go to interview Interviewer seemed disinterested in my responses during 1-1 interview.

Group Exercise Listening to calls and then had to discuss the calls whether they were good or bad

Modeling Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thames Water (Reading, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online
    Process took a while more than two months
    Got a call for an interview
    Friendly environment and people
    2 interviewers ,Phd's with tremendous amount of knowledge
    A lot of technical and hypothetical scenarios questions ,the interview lasted more than 2 hours

Operations Management Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thames Water (Reading, England) in December 2016.

Interview

I completed the online application process and then was asked to take part in a verbal reasoning test . The next stage was a video interview where I was asked 7 (I think) questions which lasted about 30 minutes - around 1 minute to read and prepare your answer and then 2-5 minutes to answer depending on the question. After the video interview I waited about 2 weeks until I was invited to an assessment center. The assessment center was in Reading consisted of 3 assessed exercises. The day started with a short networking session giving candidates a chance to meet members of higher management, after which there was a competency based interview, a group exercise and a business scenario. The business scenario was the hardest and it focused on delivering bad news to your team, and the assessor who posed as the "team" was purposefully awkward in their responses making it quite nerve racking and difficult. The interview and group exercise were less daunting, and throughout the day we were told just to relax and be ourselves. Everyone on the day was very nice and helpful.

Human Resources Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thames Water (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Attended the assessment centre last week. Given three tasks: one 45 minute one-to-one interview, one group task where you must choose a company to use for a charity fundraiser, and a 15 minute presentation on some information you have 30 minutes to sift through and find the important bits to present to a fictional team you are leading.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were under pressure to solve a problem. What was it? How did you overcome this problem?   Answer Question

Graduate Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thames Water (Reading, England) in December 2016.

Interview

-Application (fairly straightforward)

-Online tests (if I remember correctly)

-Video Interview- Had around 6 or 7 questions and was allowed to re-record my answers if I wanted to. Each question allowed for 3 minutes of time to answer. I think for most I took around 2 minutes so don't feel you need to fill in time. Keeping it short and sweet is what they want I think. The only question that took me by surprise was one on customer service which was unexpected as it was an operations position.

-Assessment centre- Was really friendly I went in with around 15 other applicants and we were divided into 3 groups of 5. Everyone was really friendly and social including the assessors so don't feel nervous! Many of the assessors were actual technical staff instead of the usual HR people so have lots of questions. The day went as follows:

1) Presentation - Company values bla bla (15 mins)

2) Lunch/mingling- Just have questions ready and be really positive (1 hour)

3) One on One interview- I had around 7 questions all quite straightforward 'tell me about a time?'. I felt in mine the assessor had really good banter so spent half the time chatting. Make sure your examples are varied so you don't get repetitive. (45 mins)

4) Group Discussion- 5 of us went into a group discussion we were each given a card with a charity event on it and then we had to discuss which one was best and then present it back to the assessors. If I remember right we had around 30 mins to discuss, it sounds like a lot of time but it flies by so keep on top of time management.

Out of the group 4/5 of the people were really positive and cooperative so it made things easier. However one of the group members was incredibly pushy and ignored others contributions. She tried to dominate the discussions and during the presentation and spoke for 2 of our 3 minutes we were allocated meaning the rest of us had to cut back our parts.

This surprised me initially as you don't expect people to behave like that so my lesson would be don't let it phase you as the person will most likely rule themselves out of the job. Just make your contribution, bring others in, be positive and mention time a lot!

5) Role play- This is the bit I felt I screwed up a bit, you are given a role play in which you have to give a meeting to your team. They give you a pile of emails, targets and results etc and you have structure your meeting around the key points.

I think you get given 30 mins to come up with your meeting structure and then after that you conduct it in the role of manager to an empty room with the assessor playing the team members. My problem was I spent too much time focusing on the data during the planning stage and ran out of time and so in the end pretty much winged it.

My advice would be to just make sure you have a grasp of the KEY points instead of looking too deeply into the graphs and stats as I think they are trying to distract you with them. Focus more on your delivery, maybe watching a video of a typical meeting would help as I think they just want to see if you look the part. Also delegate everything you can ! So you will have a list of team members so you can say things like 'Frank could do X piece of work by the deadline today?'

During this roleplay the assessor will butt in with questions from the staff members most are fairly easy just answer like a diplomatic and friendly boss. One the criticisms I got was not being motivational, I think because I focused too much on the work at hand so really try and praise your team and get them motivated especially at the end of the meeting.

Also in my feedback they said I lacked a bit of commercial knowledge which I didn't really understand but could be something to think about. Overall I would just say just keep calm and treat it like acting, remember you can make stuff up so if you want to offer you staff incentives such as an Ipad for the best performance etc then just say it!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you resolved a difficult situation?
      Tell me about a time you improved an existing process or task?
      Tell me about a time you worked well in a team?
      Tell me about a time you used communication to overcome a problem?

NO CURVE BALLS!   Answer Question

Human Resources Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thames Water (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Completed an online application and then a situational and verbal reasoning test. The next stage was the video interview which consisted of questions with time limit to answer them.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thames Water.

Interview

mumbo jumbo done by someone who didn't even know what he was talking about and really rude and arrogant that I thought I was being set up to fail because I was constantly interrupted and was unable to speak or finish my sentence and told to answer next question and yet when the interviewer wanted to talk he talked at length

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thames Water in November 2016.

Interview

Video Interview
    Completed the application form. Application requested information such as:
    > Why would you like to join the Thames Water Graduate Programme and why have you chosen Engineering?
    > Please confirm if you would consider other graduate opportunities in addition to this application.
    > Please explain what you feel are the biggest challenges and opportunities facing our industry currently. How would you approach these?
    > Tell us about a project you have worked on where your positivity and passion was key to its success. (What was your vision? What did you do? Who did you have to get on board?
    > Please give details of any extra­curricular activities you have been involved in, and provide details of any positions of responsibility you have held and how did you manage these activities and your degree at the same time?

For the video interview, using Sonru application, you are given 7 questions. A question will appear on the screen for a few minutes, and you will have a time limit to answer the questions. Questions can be random. Questions they asked me are shown below.

My advice. Do your research and practise.

Interview Questions

• 1. With regards to the programme you have applied to, please explain what makes you the ideal candidate for the role
      2. Why did you choose to study engineering?
      3. Some of the best engineering ideas are born out of an individual’s ability to challenge other people’s ways of thinking. Tell me about a time when you were successful in doing this
      4. Engineers need to be curious about how and why machines, structures and fluid treatment processes work. can you give an example where your curiosity has led to a new understanding?
      5. Please could you give an example of a time when you sought out an opportunity to develop yourself? What was your end goal?
      6. Please could you give an example of a time things didn’t go as planned, how did you handle it and what was the end result?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.