Two Sigma Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Two Sigma Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Two Sigma

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The process is too drawn out expect several 1 hour technical phone calls, a coding test, a 9-5 full day interview. The best way to describe their process is hazing. Entire process felt like a waste of time and resources on both sides, it could be condensed down to 2 hours.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Two Sigma

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Terrible.

Interviewer had a thick accent and half my time was spent asking the interviewer to repeat him/herself rather than focusing on the algorithm at hand. It's hard to consider Two Sigma to be an elite company when your first contact with the company is a subpar interviewing experience. Also started 5 minutes late.

I don't want the hiring bar to be lowered, I just want a noise-free avenue for choosing the right candidates and this definitely wasn't that.

Interview Questions

• Create a filtering iterator for numbers mod 5 based on an existing iterator.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

Applied for NEW GRAD position with a referral mid-September.
    Step 1 coding assessment (3hrs, 2Q, seen one on LeetCode). Be careful about edge cases.
    Step 2 phone interview w/ engineer, 1 behavior Q (past project), 1 technical Q (seen on LeetCode but I forgot how to do, struggled a bit and eventually figured out) Used Codepad or sth.
    Was told eligible for final on-site the same day. Submitted availability but never got scheduled. Check with them 3 weeks later, was told the position filled (early December)

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Process is slow

Hackerrank online test.
    Phone interview with an engineer. There is a cs trivia portion followed by a code problem.
    Onsite interview. Morning is 2-3 technical interviews. If you do well you stay after lunch. Then it's chats with team leads, managers, and managing directors. Usually with a few possible teams.

Interview Questions

• LRU cache, LFU cache follow up   1 Answer
    • Buy and sell stocks up to k times   1 Answer
    • Debug median of two arrays   1 Answer
    • Phone screen question. Unique random numbers in a range. Follow up, weighted random numbers in the range.   1 Answer
    • CS trivia portion of phone screen

Throughput vs latency - define and provide examples of when both or one would be high or low
      Thread vs process - compare and contrast
      How would two threads communicate?
      How would two processes communicate?   Answer Question
    • String chains hacker rank   1 Answer
    • Friend circles hackerrank   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Two Sigma in January 2019.

Interview

I gave the online test at Hackerrank, and things went well on that. After few days, I got a call from the recruiter and a phone interview was set up.

Interview Questions

• Difference between a process and a thread
      how process communicate
      how threads communicate
      difference between latency and throughput
      Random generator,
      follow up- new range in the old generator   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter after submitting my resume through a third party job site. She told me that the next steps in the interview was to talk to a recruiter within the company so they can help me find the best fit within their teams. I had a second phone call with a recruiter, and he sounded as not interested to talking to me and after that call there was no follow up which was totally unprofessional and a huge waste of time on my part as I had spent a lot time preparing for technical interviews but the recruiter failed to follow up to set up one.

Interview Questions

• Describe my past technical projects, what I learned, and what I am interested in, etc.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Two Sigma in July 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me about a position. A few days later, I received an email from internal two sigma recruiter. S/he sent a hacker rank test without even a phone call.

There were two questions. Both of them were quite difficult. They were regarding the graph and trees. The test was for 3 hours. I completed it in 2 hours. I did pretty well in both the questions, passed all the test cases for both of them and got the expected output.

after two days received an email from a recruiter that unfortunately I was not selected to move forward. I felt like I waste my couple of hours. They don't seem to look at the solution you submit. Not recommended.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Two Sigma in February 2017.

Interview

Sent in application online.
    Received 2-3 hour coding challenge on Hackerrank a week later.
    Completed challenge and was ask to schedule interview.
    Phone interview with developer. Asked similar questions to other posts I've seen on Glassdoor. Didn't do very well on the programming question, it's uncomfortable holding a phone call while writing code.
    Received an email some time later letting me know they had already filled their quota.

Interview Questions

• Objected oriented design questions.
      Questions on concurrency.
      How to return medium value from integer stream.
      Programming question. Something to do with returning an item with specified probability. Also asked how I would test my code.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Two Sigma in July 2017.

Interview

Had a online coding interview after phone call

This was honestly the worst interview I have ever had. I could constantly hear the interviewer chuckle in the background if I got a question wrong, and he would actually say out loud "Next time actually know how to code before you interview". Seriously? Not only is that extremely rude and unprofessional, but the fact that he felt the need to reprimand someone because they did not know the correct solution is a serious concern. Why exactly is someone who clearly does not care about the interview process and the interviewee in charge of interviews? Additionally, when i asked for him to repeat the question, he would act like its my fault that I could not decipher the question through his thick accent. I didn't realize asking for clarification and repeating the question was a crime. To add insult to injury, he even had to audacity to try to teach me a "life lesson" by repeating to me that I should "learn to code before wasting everyone time" AFTER the interview ended. I mean, what does one even say to something like that?

I'm very well aware that many people posting here may do so because they are disgruntled that they didn't land the job and try to get back at the company, but I can assure you I'm not one of those. I have a much better job lined up because of being rejected by two sigma, so I don't exactly mind that I didn't do well. Imagine actually accepting the offer and later having to work with people like that.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

An external recruiter contacted me about a position. A few weeks later I received an email from internal two sigma recruiter. S/he sent a hacker rank test without even a phone call.

There was two questions, one of them is moderately hard, the other one was difficult. The test was 3 hours. I completed it in 2 hours 30 minutes. There were total 30 unit tests for two questions, 28 of them were passing. I sent an email to two sigma recruiter to tell that I have completed the test. No response is received.

More than 2 months passed. I did not hear back from anyone.

Advice to Two Sigma people: please do not waste people's time. I spent my Sunday evening for your boring test.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.