Urban Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Urban

2.7

Massage Therapist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Urban (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

It was Quick, simple, straightforward & polite. Did relevant questioning and answering from both sides. The application and hiring were both easy and quick also the group call helped in gaining more confidence to start taking bookings.

Interview Questions

• About my experience, my preferred hours, areas and treatments.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Urban in June 2019.

Interview

1) Screening with HR: A quick (~20-30 min) talk with their HR person. Easy to schedule with Calendly, easy to pass, friendly interview, introductory questions.
    2) Inteview with manager
    3) ~4hr test (simulation)

Interview Questions

• Previous experience / talk about yourself (1st stage)   Answer Question
    • How would you test if two samples are significantly different? (2nd)   1 Answer
    • What approach of statistics (freq/bayes) would you use for this job? (2nd)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban (London, England) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and was quickly asked to complete a phone interview. This lasted roughly 15-20 minutes asking me why Urban Massage, why I chose the role, previous experience of customer service and what would I say if there was a complaint about a known issue. I was told at the end of the phone interview that they would like me to come in for an office interview because they move quickly. Within less than a week I went to the interview, I was greeted by one of the interviewers and made to feel very at home. There was lots of little bits of general chit chat because it was a very casual interview.
    The interview itself was easy and the questions flowed nicely, you were made to feel very comfortable and never under pressure. It lasted an hour and then afterwards I was shown around the offices. I was told that I would hear from them by the end of the week and I left feeling really confident and happy with the experience.
    After a week had passed I started to wonder why I had not been contacted with any feedback so I sent a follow-up email. After two weeks there was still no word from them or any reply to my follow-up email. This was extremely disappointing to me. The company prides itself on its casual vibes and being a hip and modern start-up company but there is no point being casual to the point of being unprofessional. Feedback from interviews is essential to help the candidate learn from their mistakes and know what to improve on. An email takes very little time to compose and even an automated rejection email to unsuccessful candidates would have sufficed. The fact that this issue was brought up before on the interview reviews here on Glassdoor proves to me that is a common issue and it is not acceptable in this day and age. Treat your job candidates the same way you expect your customers to be treated.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a co-worker who isn't doing their job correctly?   Answer Question
    • What do you do in your spare time? What are your interests?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a customer that insisted on speaking to the manager who you knew was out of office?   Answer Question
    • Do you have an experience of a time when you've had to adapt to a sudden change quickly?   Answer Question

Brand Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban (London, England) in January 2018.

Interview

Great process, very swift honest and concise. The lady interviewing me was very friendly too and made me feel very comfortable. I had to prepare some work for it but that was fine and totally expected these days.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban (London, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Apply via the company's website, phone interview then on-site interview. The phone interview was more about the business, mission, and role. For the on-site interview, it was more about your fit and adaptability. There were lots of scenario-based questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Urban (London, England) in October 2017.

Interview

25 mins phone interview - 1 hour office interview conducted in the landing at the top of the stairs - 20 minute phone role play - 30 minute extra phone interview

Very disappointed with them, because they seemed very confused about what role they were interviewing me for. Customer service or team leader? It was like a lucky dip, I had no idea which one I would get at the end. I applied for customer service but was bombarded with team leader questions. Be more decisive. If someone applies for the customer service rep, then perhaps you should ask them questions specifically about customer service, not team leader?

After all this, i spoke to the other team leader brian, and the HR person josh about how they chose somebody else. This is fine, a better fit was found for their company. But THEN they asked me to come in for another interview to work in their supply "team". They didn't bother to tell me that this is temp, working at £8 an hour, making purely outbound calls to essentially onboard any and every qualified massage therapist out there. You surely don't believe you will just trick someone in to coming in and hope they will just take the job? Total waste of time to come in to their office for a 2nd interview, which was conducted in a massage room.

Apart from the lack of professionalism and organisation, the people I spoke to were nice people.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between building a relationship in sales vs customer service? How would you deal with someone that isn't working very hard?   Answer Question

Urban Response

20 Oct 2017 – People and Talent Executive

Hi there, thank you for your review, we are constantly looking at how to improve our process here. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We explained that we were going through an office move and so had to use the temporary meeting room.

The mention of the second role on offer was to reflect that we thought you might be interested and suited to this role. The questions asked, were quite consistent with other candidates who had experience in a lead position previously, or expressed interest in progressing here quickly at Urban Massage.

We apologise for not being clear about the 2nd opportunity offered, we wanted to extend this opportunity, as when we find a candidate who we think would be a good fit for the company, but not necessarily the role applied for, we try to provide another opportunity that you might be interested in.

Thank you again for your feedback, we will ensure we learn from this, and we wish you all the best in your future career. Josh

Head of Performance Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban in October 2017.

Interview

Initial telephone interview. The call was brief, they provided an overview of the company, mission and role. When describing the role, they made it clear that they were seeking somebody who is able to manipulate data using Python and R. The job description had stated "Exceptional at Excel, manipulate large data sets", but didn't mention being skilled in Python and R. Would advise candidates not to apply, unless they are specifically skilled in this area and would advise Urban Massage to detail essential skills required on job specifications to ensure they receive applications from suitable candidates. Little discussion regarding performance marketing skills, experience and approach.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban (London, England).

Interview

Phone interview then in office interview. I had to wait 15 minutes before being interviewed... Then they ask you questions for an hour. At the end, they say they will contact you within x days for the decision but you'll never hear from them if you're not successful which is a shame. Good recruiters give you a call no matter what.

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban in February 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview, take-home technical project and finally a 3 hour onsite interview with multiple people.

The telephone interview did ask what my salary expectations were, which I stated as £45k to be inline with the numbers posted on Glassdoor. However, when I got to the onsite interview an HR person asked again what my salary expectations were, but said that they weren't able to offer that because "we're a startup" and I hadn't clocked up enough years of in-office experience, despite already being employed as a Full Stack Developer elsewhere.

I feel they should have been upfront at the phone interview stage and told me the range they were offering.

Interview Questions

Urban Response

28 Feb 2017 – Head of People and Talent

Hi there, thank you for your review. We are keen to clarify that for successful candidates, all salaries are decided upon according to level of experience against role requirements following a technical assessment. We do benchmark against other growing start ups at similar stages and ensure we are competitive. We are happy to discuss further if anything is unclear. Take care and all the best with your continued job search. Laura

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Urban (London, England) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very quick and engaging. It consisted in a first telephone interview, during which we had a chat about my past experience, company culture, working processes in the product team, etc. This first contact left me very keen on getting this opportunity, as it felt it was exactly what I was looking for.
    After this first interview, I was asked to complete a code test at home. I then completed the test and delivered it, receiving feedback in the same day. Two days later I had a 2 hours interview at the office, where I met the Lead Front End developer to review my code test and some technical questions. The second part was a chat with the CTO and the Head of Product, followed by a chat with the Head of HR. After this I met the product team, where I could talk about a bit about myself, ask them some questions, as well as answer some questions they asked me.

I left the office with the confirmation that Urban Massage was exactly where I wanted to work. And then, great news, on the same day I received an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Build an application, using a front end framework of your choice, making use of calls to an external api.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.