e-days Absence Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at e-days Absence Management

1 Interview Review

Interviews for Top Jobs at e-days Absence Management

Marketing Director Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at e-days Absence Management in February 2020.

Interview

The process was managed via an agency who did their best with minimal information and communication from e-days. There were 2 interview stages, though from what I understand they were inconsistent in format across other candidates.

The first stage was a 1 to 1 with the CEO. The discussion was positive and ran for 2 hours. The 2nd stage involved a presentation to 5 people (directors, advisors, HR, and the CEO). I was briefed to present for 1 hour with 1 hour to follow, covering 4 different tasks. I was given 4 business days to pull this together.

In this 2nd stage, people left and rejoined the interview throughout and generally there was a feeling that people had other things to do. This was distracting and actually quite rude, especially given my investment.

There were a handful of questions mid-presentation and I paused after each section to check in with the room for time and other questions. At the end of the presentation, from memory there was one question and then some people left, with some coming back and then leaving again. I was told by the CEO that my presentation was extremely strong. Eventually I was left with the HR representative to discuss 'house-keeping'. I was told they will be in touch at 'some point'.

Following the 2nd stage, communication was slow and thin. Initial feedback via the agency was encouraging; I had impressed the panel but there may be some additional questions they'd like to follow up with. Several weeks passed, with the agency finding it difficult to gain communication from e-days. In week 8 I received final feedback from the agency, which was tenuous at best, but overall the decision was no.

From what I know, there was an issue with the length of my presentation, despite being briefed for an hour-long slot (I got the impression not everyone was clear on what I had been briefed to do and for how long), and that there were some "unanswered questions". For reasons unknown these were not asked during the interviews and were not followed-up either, so I did not have the opportunity to respond.

My lasting impression is that this is a company that does not know what or who they are looking for, and are unable to make confidence-inspiring decisions quickly. The candidate experience was frustrating and disappointing, especially considering the senior level of this role. They do have a People function in-house so it is even more disappointing that the experience was not good. The time and energy invested in the process could have been easier to swallow if communication had been present and timely, and feedback clear and fair.

I'm not usually one to leave a review like this, but based on my experience I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a senior role. The silver lining is that I perhaps made a 'lucky escape' by not committing to a business seemingly going through some internal difficulties that could negatively impact the success of this role and the chosen individual from the outset.

My confidence in e-days as an employer is most definitely absent.

Interview Questions

e-days Absence Management Response

17 Apr 2020 – CEO

Hi, I wanted to personally address the points in your Glassdoor post - a) to reassure you about a few things, and b) to make sure others reading this have an accurate account. It’s so important to us that all candidates – both those who are successful, and those who are not, all have a positive experience.

To start, I would like to thank you for interviewing with us; I really enjoyed meeting you and hearing about your interesting and very entrepreneurial background. I also felt, that although your presentation overran, the content within it was good, and you prepared well – I would not hesitate in recommending you to others looking for marketing talent.

You gave a strong first round interview and we took your application very seriously; this included me asking some of the company directors to travel to Nottingham to be involved with your second interview/presentation. You will be very aware that senior marketing roles are competitive – we were in the fortunate position of having some excellent candidates apply, yourself included, making the process to progress candidates further in the process a really difficult one. We have now offered the role to a candidate that we felt matched what we were looking for.

Recruitment agency / interview process.
    The agency that put you forward for the role was not formally engaged in this specific hire - they speculatively put your CV in front of us for review, and because your CV was so strong we accepted you as a candidate. I very much hope that the agency made this clear to you. The interview brief you were given was the same as for other candidates (however there might be times where we do tweak an interview brief for certain candidates, in order to tailor or address a specific candidate’s strengths/weaknesses). All interviewers were also made fully aware of your interview brief and had prior briefings as to your background and CV. Your interview brief had 4 questions – each with a specific time allocation - this was deliberate as it helps us test a candidate’s ability to be concise and to present within a given time frame. Whilst you presentation was good it had little bearing to the time allocations you were given – and as a result time ran away and it’s understandable that one or two of the interviewers might have needed a comfort break. I also recall spending more time with you 1:1 after the presentation, to thank you for your hard work and to discuss things further.

After the interview
    One of the reasons why we sometimes use agencies, is to help manage candidates during the shortlisting/interview/offer process – this is especially true for senior hires when it can take some time to co-ordinate various applications and interviews. I’m aware that after your specific interview, the agency was informed that we had other candidates to review who had also been shortlisted. The agency was also informed that we needed to conclude those interviews before providing a final answer to you. Please be reassured that we will pick up with the agency that represented you - to ensure that the process they follow to keep candidates informed, is as thorough as it needs to be; it sounds not to have been the case for you. In regard to the interview feedback – as you know we have previously traded introduction messages on LinkedIn and email, so I would have welcomed a message from you if you wanted additional feedback. As you will be aware, we are not in charge of the feedback given by the agency to a candidate – but we always offer more detailed feedback especially if a candidate requests more information.

Finally, it’s a bit disappointing to read your closing comments as they are particularly unkind and they seems designed put people off our company. I know it’s upsetting when you want a particular job, prepare well for the interviews, but are ultimately unsuccessful. However I would hope that the information I’ve given here helps reassure you that we acted in good faith towards your application. Whilst it would be inappropriate for me to provide comprehensive feedback to you on here, I remain open to having deeper-dive feedback session with you if you felt it would be useful – we are connected on LinkedIn and you have my email so please do drop me a line and we can talk.

Yours,
    Steve

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.