1E Reviews

Updated 17 Dec 2020

3.3
1E CEO Sumir Karayi (no image)
Sumir Karayi
Pros
  • "Great people, amazing work, OK facilities(in 8 reviews)

• "Smart People, Less Politics, High technical work , Good work life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "No one has your back when dealing with higher management, leaving to fend for yourself when being berated with abuse(in 5 reviews)

• "Senior management, especially the CEO in London, in extremely incompetent at managing the company(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Dynamic and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at 1E full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with some of the smartest people in their field They really value you and care about your development - that's why a lot of the smartest people choose to stay working there for so long Innovative and cool products Fun place to work - there's a real sense of being part of something Inspiring leader

Cons

It's not so relevant now as we're all working from home but the office is in Ealing - some people may prefer to be more central

November 23, 2020Office Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to see that you’ve spent 5 years with us. You help to make 1E what it is today! We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. All review feedback is monitored and informs our practices at 1E. We will pass your suggestions onto our executive leadership team.

2. "Loving 1E so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at 1E full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really good people, working together to achieve great results. Lots of room to get involved in new things, great communication from senior leadership. Honest bi-yearly reviews that help identify where you are doing well and where you fall short. Lots of emphasis on your strengths, very supportive enviornment both from a growth and personal prospective.

Cons

No company is perfect, there are always things that can be better, but all round lots more positives from my point of view than negatives.

December 8, 2020Office Manager

Thank you for your feedback. You help to make 1E what it is today! We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. All review feedback is monitored and informs our practices at 1E. We would love to hear any suggestions to help us become and even better employer. Feel free to utilise the "Bright Ideas" section on our community page which is anonymous. Thank you.

3. COVID-19

"Subjectively awful."

I worked at 1E full-time

Pros

If your idea of a good day's work is just saying how great 1E is, then it's probably a great place to work. It's obvious that positive reviews will be left by Product / Marketing teams, since their entire job is based on giving a false impression of life at 1E. Similarly, if you're the type of person who enjoys going out of your way to make life difficult for people you personally dislike, you'll fit in VERY well with the senior management team. It's no wonder certain people stay at 1E for a very long time, while other incredibly talented people come and go so quickly. It's a "club" as much as a job - so if Cronyism is your thing, then go for it - you'll go far!!

Cons

Don't expect a work/life balace, beause 1E won;t give you one. Whatever they promote about "work from anywhere" - Management's approach to "flexible working" is basically that they expect you to be 100% flexible, and work any and all hours of the day, at weekends, and do as you're told. at 1e, Compliance is a requisite skill far more than Ability. It's the middle of a pandemic - there's loads of people who need a job, so why bother trying to treat staff with basic dignity and respect, when you can just push people who have their own opinions out and replace them with more sycophants, right? I did not have a negative experience with the CEO (as it has been mentioned elsewhere), however the Leadership team leave a LOT to be desired in certain areas - and there's nothing like having the CEO built up as some kind of monster by Leadership to help strike fear into employees to ensure compliance... HR are great at running webinars on Company Culture, but awful at managing People. If you encounter any issues, then you're best off leaving - HR are far more likely to tell the venomous Leadership that you're not happy (and therefore, not to be trusted...) than they are to actually try to help you - because again, no one wants to get on the wrong side of leadership, and there are plenty of people looking for jobs... This was all VERY apparent in 2020 - I saw people leave who had been there for years, and others come and go in a matter of months - some of which seemed like genuinely good people. What makes everything 10x worse, is the fact that 1e have the audacity to promote this "work from anywhere" thing, which just makes them seem incredibly hypocritical. Joining 1e was possibly the biggest mistake in my long career, and I'm lucky to have had opportunities arise in a hard time as the pandemic. I genuinely feel for those who started in the Pandemic and expected a good working environment, or those who are too scared about being able to find other work to quit...

December 21, 2020Office Manager

We are saddened to read this review, not least because of the number of inaccuracies it contains. We have had the lowest number of resignations in 2020 compared to the past 7 years. We have also safeguarded jobs throughout the pandemic, the most difficult trading time for most organisations, and not made any redundancies. From your time here you will know that we have launched many well-being initiatives including coaching and counselling for work related and non-work topics, dozens of flexible working requests agreed so people can manage their work-life balance more effectively, paid and unpaid leave options as well as a range of initiatives. We appreciate that you may not have an understanding of the work taking place with individuals, but we are proud to support them during this time. People are genuinely grateful for the support given during a terrible year which is evidence in the response from our teams in our anonymous surveys. You did not enjoy your time here and for that we are sorry. Recruitment processes are costly and take a lot of commitment from everyone involved, we never like to see them fail. That said, due to some of the accusations you make in this review we have no choice but to report this to Glassdoor for a full investigation. We are glad you have found other opportunities to move on to. We know this has been a difficult year for everyone and we genuinely wish you the best in your next steps.

4. "It's all subjective"

Current Employee - Business Support in London, England

I have been working at 1E full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brilliant tech, people, outlook and CSR. It's actually the best role i've had (and i've worked for some major names) due to the autonomy and flexibility offered. We work longer hours but mostly enjoy our jobs so it's not such a big deal. You feel part of an exciting journey. It's exciting to work for a company that is on the pulse for the future way of working. The business is diverse, cares about its staff and acknowledges their hard work.

Cons

Hours and salary don't quite match up but it's still a great role.

December 9, 2020Office Manager

Thank you for your feedback. You help to make 1E what it is today! We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. All review feedback is monitored and informs our practices at 1E. We will pass your suggestions onto our executive leadership team.

"Work from Anywhere apart from 1e!"

I worked at 1E full-time

Pros

None - Was a bad idea to join!

Cons

Too many sycophants The C suite is totally out of their depth

November 5, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, clearly 1E wasn't for you. We wish you all the best of luck on future endaevours.

"TOXIC! - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England

I worked at 1E full-time for more than a year

Pros

None - cant think of any.

Cons

Toxic environment right from CEO down to management. Very childish mentality

October 14, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, It's difficult to discuss this further as we've not had a Systems Engineer position in the UK in over 5 years, all the best of luck in future endeavours.

"AVOID!"

I worked at 1E full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely no pros whatsoever. If I could I would rate 1E with a big fat 0.

Cons

If Hell was a business, it would be 1E. Lead by a narcissistic CEO. I have never known of somebody with so little humanity in him. And such a gargantuan narcissistic personality disorder. He screams at people and humiliates them on a daily basis. I have never ever experienced anything like this before. Do not get fooled by the “good reviews” from current employees. They have been asked to write something positive to hide the ugly in an act of desperation from HR, as it was affecting recruitment. Do not get fooled by HR condescending comments pretending they have no idea what former employees are talking about. With 2.9 out of 5 as an overall rating, anybody can see that something very wrong is going on there.. Don’t even get me started on HR; They are complicit in the bad treatment of people, they know it’s wrong but yet they are supporting the CEO’s outrageous behavior and for what? The sake of their jobs? There is nothing good about this place and that is strongly supported by the extraordinary employee turnover rate. 1E promotes the importance of employees’ mental health. Now that’s rich coming from a business that leaves employees in need of therapy after being bullied, undermined and their confidence destroyed! The only good thing about 1E is to leave.

October 14, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We don’t like to hear one of our employees has had such an experience with us. To address some of the points made, like most companies and businesses, we do encourage our team members to engage in our social media platforms. However, we expect any content to be honest and transparent. We are pleased that our employees take the time to participate in our blogg posts, employee spotlights, our twitter profile and many other platforms including Glassdoor. Here is an example of a blogpost from an employee that has been with us for 21 years: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6701113757512294400 In the last 18 months we've had 13 employees return to the business, which we see as a good sign that we are getting many things right. All employees have free access to our Employee Assistance Programme, which covers: Stress helplines, free telephone counselling sessions, legal advice, emotional support classes and many more. During the pandemic our CEO has taken a personal interest in the health and wellbeing of our employees and several initiatives have been created as a result. As always, we would genuinely appreciate the opportunity to explore your concerns further. You’ve taken the time to post this review and we want to respect that by offering you a call with any member of the executive or management team or any other intermediary in the business. In the meantime, we wish you the best of luck in all future endeavours.

"Profoundly disturbing, childish and reckless workplace"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at 1E full-time for more than a year

Pros

Despite trying hard to think of some, I can't really give any. Salaries are above industry average, but they have to pay above market rate to A) attract people to a company with so many negative reviews and a poor employer reputation and B) keep people once they join as they realize that the culture and environment is utterly toxic but they stay because the money's alright. People put up with what I'd describe as the worst professional environment just because it's a couple grand above market rate on their salary. Of course there are some incredible people working at 1E (you'll always find diamonds in the rough). The good people are in middle-management positions and are at the beck and call of a totally bewildered senior management team who are more interested in ego and their own personal gain and appearance than anything else. To recap... pros? Well, coffee and free cornflakes but also some incredible people who are totally taken for granted.

Cons

1E is the worst professional environment I've experienced. It shouldn't have come as a surprise because at the interview stage I was warned about the volatility of the CEO. If you want to be screamed at by the CEO in front of colleagues then this is the workplace for you. If you want to be second-guessed, then this is the place for you. In situations when the CEO is involving himself in every little thing then either hire junior people and micromanage them or trust that your staff know what they're doing. Also, shouldn't the CEO have better things to be doing that dotting the Is and crossing the Ts on projects that have VPs involved? If you want to work 12 hour days and still get calls and messages well into the evening, 1E's for you. And a technology company making decisions based on assumptions and the arrogant 'I know better than data' approach is demeaning and completely unfulfilling. The warning signs were there when I joined the company, and they are there now. Avoid at all costs.

September 8, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way about your time with 1E. We are in constant communication with our teams, leading to regular feedback and so some of your comments are a surprise to us. There’s no doubt that everyone has been working harder since the COVID Pandemic. You’ll know from all our communications to our teams that we are actively supporting our people. We have facilitated numerous and innovative ways to support individual employees to work flexibly and manage their work and home life commitments. We are actively encouraging our people to take breaks and use annual leave and have provided additional paid and unpaid leave options so our team members can manage their external commitments with job security. Like all organisations, we know we can improve our business. We have worked hard in recent years to remove silo’s and bring our team members closer to our leadership team. You’ll know from your time with us that we encourage our executives, including the CEO to be visible and get involved at all levels of the business including specific projects. This is part of our business strategy and enables us to share resources and knowledge. Despite the events of 2020, 1E is doing well. We are growing, are more profitable while adding headcount and investment and continuously inventing solutions. We are stronger working together. We would appreciate the opportunity to talk through your points in more detail. I’ll be happy to facilitate a conversation with you, or if you'll feel more comfortable speaking to our HR Business Partners, please reach out when you are ready.

"Damaging to my mental health."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at 1E full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food is provided in the kitchen.

Cons

While the pros seem great, do not be fooled like I was. From the outside, everything seemed great. My second interview concluded with me being told that this was a great place to further my career, where I would be able to learn and develop my skill set. All lies. While they do compensate well, this is to keep you constrained as part of an awfully managed company with no clear direction or knowledge of how to even treat their employees like human beings. The company lacks any structure. 'We follow a flat structure' translates to.. 'You won't have a manager and when you push back on ludicrous tasks, we will have a personal problem with you'. No one has your back when dealing with higher management, leaving to fend for yourself when being berated with abuse. When telling HR that I had begun to suffer from anxiety due to being the only one capable of doing my job without any support, they listened and did nothing about it. They did not even catch up with me to see how I was doing. When it comes to CEO Sumir, he is probably the worst person I have ever professionally or personally met. He verbally abuses his employees in company calls, while expecting them to produce outstanding work. He accepts nothing less than perfection but gives mediocre direction and management at best. He is arrogant and egocentric. I would avoid this company at all costs; it damaged my mental health to where I have now only just recovered.

August 4, 2020VP Global HR

From Sumir Karayi, CEO at 1E I am sorry you feel so negatively about 1E. The challenge with Glassdoor reviews is that they are anonymous so anyone can write them. If you are a genuine ex-1E employee I would really appreciate a conversation with you. It’s never right when anyone leaves 1E with such a negative viewpoint and while this feedback wasn’t captured in any of our exit interviews we would like to listen now. Your comment about the lack of structure was a little surprising. We have a fairly robust management structure for a small company. Everyone reports though the management team. We have 50 managers in a company with 250 people. We have two formal calibration reviews of all employees every year. We have a custom objectives and performance management system, which all employees must use. Should we not always want to do outstanding work? Most 1E customers will heartily acknowledge our outstanding work and surely this is a good expectation to set. I am sorry you feel I am mediocre but lets look at 1E objectively. With the total investment of £500 each by the founders, 1E has grown organically to over $50m recurring revenue, with zero debt, significant cash reserves and rapidly increasing profitability. We employ 250 people and are regularly acknowledged by the Best Companies index. We are highly inventive with over 40 patents. We have sold 30 million licences and have 98% renewals on our main products. We must be doing a few things right. We do take mental health seriously at 1E. We have an Employee Assistance Program , which is widely publicised and is free and confidential to use. We have a range of flexible working practices which enable people to manage their workload with external responsibilities. A number of our colleagues are benefitting from these currently. We have held numerous workshops around managing stress and we always work with any employee who is raises concerns about their mental health and work with them in getting the appropriate support where needed. As I said at the beginning if you are a genuine ex-1E employee, I would really like to have a conversation with you as it’s not good for you or 1E that you feel this way about your time with us.

10. "Good"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at 1E full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good at everything they do

Cons

Nothing that is visible to comment on

October 14, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, glad to hear you're enjoying your time with us at 1E.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 137 English Reviews