AO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.6
AO CEO John Roberts
John Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun and vibrant environment to work in (in 11 reviews)

• Everyone is very supportive and they do as much as possible to keep their employees happy from free snacks to team & company outings (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Car Park is 10 mins away but that's the only negative (in 9 reviews)

• Due to the fast paced nature of the business it is susceptible to frequent change so if you don't enjoy this it won't be the place for you (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and vibrant environment to work in! Lot's of perks such as free snacks and drinks, onsite Starbucks, discounted Spa and subsidised gym membership. All the people share the same values, which is important due to the fast paced nature of the business. There's also lots of exciting opportunities and events that take place throughout the year!

Cons

There's not a lot! Walk to the car park at the end of the day can sometimes be annoying when it's raining, but it's free and only 10 mins away!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Aftercare in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Aftercare in Manchester, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Karl Hinchcliffe the sales director is an inspiration and great leader, great environment to work within, incentives to drive the sales floor are great, career progression etc

Cons

Sometimes have to work longer hours to hit target, however if you're money motivated and driven, you will hit target within normal hours.

Advice to Management

Keep the fun value going, it drives the sales floor and creates a great atmosphere.

"CEx Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working here! Encouraged and inspired to bring new ideas to your role.
    Word hard, play hard ethos.
    Love that the customer is the main focus and we empower our specialists to do whatever they feel necessary to resolve their query.
    Great company to work for.

Cons

It's not really a con and just being picky... the walk down from the car park takes 10 minutes. But its good exercise and wakes you up in the morning.

"Yesterday I left AO"

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Developer in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Developer in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So yesterday I left my role at AO after over 3.5 years with the company. AO is truly a great company to work for and I am very sad to leave (if anyone gets the opportunity to work for AO, especially in IT, I would highly recommend it). The people especially are fantastic, and these people made it a very tough decision. I am so grateful to the people that I have worked with over the years as they have helped me to develop technically but also as a person, I have learnt so much about myself as well as great skills to add to list.

I have always told friends and family that to get me away from AO it would really have to be a great opportunity, but now I believe this great opportunity has come along and it's come at the right time for me, to challenge me again, and to hopefully take me on to great things! For that, as hard as it was to leave AO, I am so excited to get stuck into my new role on Monday. Bring it on!

There are a lot of people to thank, but they should know who they are. Thanks guys! x

Cons

For me there weren't any cons. Every job has its ups and downs, but I'd say I had far more ups and not many downs and especially no downs that were big deals.

3 Jul 2017

Thanks for the review! We miss you already, thank you so much for sharing your experience at AO. You have made a huge impression on the team and wider business with all the amazing work you... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time

Pros

Rewards people who work hard
    Career prospects and progression
    Feel valued coming in to work
    Empowerment to deal with issues how you see fit
    Competitive pay
    Free drinks and chocolate

Cons

Hours in the contact centre can be unsocial
    Sometimes contact centre is looked down upon from other departments
    Communication through the whole business can be improved (Changes are sometimes made without communicating the message effectively)

Advice to Management

I think difficult changes have been made, and the bar has been raised in order to reach our goal of being the best electrical retailer in Europe. I think these changes are for the better and are starting to come good.

I do honestly feel that if you work hard, you are rewarded. Those who show wrong behaviours and don't display the values have this addressed with them. This is how it should be in my opinion.

"Amazing Company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Experience in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting place to work
    Empowerment
    Careers across the company so there's always opportunities to do something new
    Amazing facilities
    Great friendly atmosphere

Cons

People aren't always focused on working hard and complain about change too much
    Basic salary isn't as high as it could be
    Shifts can be tough

Advice to Management

Don't stop trying to make things better. We will be the best in Europe!

"Life Span"

Former Employee - Sales in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales in Manchester, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money - free food & drink

Cons

Agressive management - managers expect you to work till 8 most nights, frowned upon when you don't.

Advice to Management

get correct training

21 Jul 2017 – Employer Brand

Our Sales team recruit people who want to grab opportunity and seize success. These people earn what they deserve with over 75% of our sales executives earning more than £41.5k OTE, however our top... More

9. "returns operative"

Pros

4 days on 4 days off so its flexible.

Cons

jobs pushed onto staff that is not in their job description.

Advice to Management

Employ people capable of doing the job that way everyone will have equal work loads.

"Great company shame about the management"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, drinks, clean facilities modern lay out.

Cons

Management , unsociable hours the values that john roberts have put into place are certainly not adhered to on the call centre floor. The way we are trained to treat customers is to do anything to make the customer happy , the way you as an employee are treated is the complete opposite. Bum on a seat, just a number, replaceable these are just some of the phrases that spring to mind. I can not emphasise just how much of a shame this company is being let down by poor management. How many people need to leave before questions are asked really! You don't get time to breathe one call down one call up it really does feel like you are in a prison. Shifts are shocking! Your whole life revolves around AO out of a 12 week rota half of that you are working passed 7pm if you have kids forget it you will hardly see them. The ''caring'' value completely unheard of in that hell hole if anything happens personally to you and you need help don't look at management for this you will be told go to your doctors if you need time off. Hell hole just to finish off no progression if you do want progression be prepared to brown nose for a good amount of time.

Advice to Management

See people as actual human beings, adhere to values the ceo put into place. Don't walk around as if you are better than everyone because you most certainly aren't when everyone is leaving and no one likes you.

5 Jul 2017

We are on a mission to be the Best European Electrical Retailer, we always aim to make good, great and this involves supporting our people via training, coaching and performance management to ensure... More

"A 5 Star Company!"

Current Employee - IT Site Support in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - IT Site Support in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at AO for just over a month and its time to submit my 5 star review!
    From the interview process, to my first day to the present day - this has been one of the best companies I have worked at. Why... ?

I work in an great team, and whether its across my department or across the company - Everyone really does live up to AO's values!

The office is very modern and a cracking environment to work in. Each meeting room is branded in a funky way, and its just little touches around the office that make it stand out.

The perks in the office are incredible. On site Starbucks, great restaurant serving breakfast and lunch, free crisps, fridges full of free soft drinks and free chocolate! We also have a spa with massages and haircuts.

You can pay for your lunch, coffee or haircuts using your pass, which is then taken off your pay at the end of the month. Very handy as I always forget to carry cash!

There is a gym over the road, which I haven't used yet. But its only a couple of quid per month.

Cons

The only con i can think about is the off site parking. Its around a 10-15 min walk away from the office. Nothing else comes to mind, because literally everything you need to be in a happy workplace is there for you!

Advice to Management

You really have nailed it when it comes to providing the best customer service in the business. The mission to be the Best European Electronic Retailer will be achieved without a doubt!