AO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
AO CEO Steve Caunce
Steve Caunce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great environment to work in, you are looked after and also challenged in your role" (in 8 reviews)

• "The company is very fast paced (sometimes a little hectic" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be very fast paced occasionally but this is just a side effect of the dedication the team has" (in 14 reviews)

• "Use to be the place to be (USE) NO Work life balance what so ever" (in 6 reviews)

"POS - Sales Executive"

I have been working at AO full-time

Pros

I currently work in the Aftercare Department as a Sales Executive. The Aftercare Department is based in the heart of Manchester City Center. The office atmosphere is fun with plenty going on during/after working hours. Socials are scheduled regularly so there's plenty of time to get to know your colleagues.

Our senior management team encourage internal growth and are incredibly approachable should we need to discuss anything in confidence.

I'd highly recommend the Aftercare Department - it's the BEST place ever !

Cons

I have no concerns at present.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing ! :-)

"Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, perks, and fantastic team. Great nights out and management are great to work with.

Cons

Very little to complain about.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Call centre/ customer assistance"

I have been working at AO full-time

Pros

The company had various free sweets chocolate, etc that you could help yourself to

Cons

The role was very demanding, very long hours were expected if you hadn't hit your target. A total misrepresentation of the role when I had an interview

"Not all it is cracked up to be !"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Horwich, England
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Horwich, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good perks - free chocolate , pop , breakfast, healthy snacks. On site spa / hairdresser. Pool and table football and PS4. Free Christmas party and free entry to Bolton Beer Festival along with some beer tokens(get in with those who sort it out and you will get all the beer tokens you want)

Cons

If you are in the call centre be prepared to miss out on a lot. You will not get off the phones if it is busy. It will be busy because the turn over of call centre staff is at an all time high.
     Managers who are totally inexperienced for the job and have no idea how to treat their staff with any respect. Though if you are female and pretty you will have a better chance.
    Also don't expect a pay rise in the call centre that has happened for years though they have raised the bonus but make it very difficult to actually achieve it.
    Shifts include working till 10pm a night even on a Sunday which sounds okay at first but soon becomes hard work. It is no quieter on a Sunday night than any other day.
    Join the company but not in the call centre you will have a far better experience any where else in the company.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your staff and give them more respect than you do currently.
    Higher management get down to the call centre and listen to your staff down there. Too many good people have walked out of the doors because of the way they are treated.

AO Response

28 Aug 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you very much for your review!

Call volumes fluctuate in all contact centres and we do everything we can to answer the phones as quickly as possible. We always balance answering our... More

"DO NOT BOTHER"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Bolton, England

I worked at AO part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Floor walkers are lovely to help and your colleagues are the ones who make your time at AO fun.

Cons

Managers do not care about you. You are just another number who will be in and out of the door. Pay is ridiculous and bonus is very hard to hit every week. Canteen has the same food every week and fridges are not restocked in the slightest.If you are part time, be prepared to not have a manager and be brushed off when asking for help from actual managers, it is your colleagues who will be the ones to help you. If you get an escalated call it is a managers duty to pick this up but they get annoyed when asked to do this. Holidays are also another con for this company, you will have no social life and will be denied any time that you request off. Overall this company is shambles! Management need looking into and replacing with those who know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your team more and actually read feedback that is given.

"Friendly Environment, but shine wears off"

I have been working at AO full-time

Pros

-Good Culture
    -Nice People
    -Nice perks/benefits
    -Friendly environment

Cons

-New rules/targets made up at a manager's whim, without warning. You're told to deal with it because "we're a fast paced company"
    -Plans change every 6 months

"Great place to work!!! EXCEPTIONALLY good pay & regular nights out"

Current Employee - ASM in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - ASM in Manchester, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The commission structure (I have earned within 6 months what would have taken me over 12 months in my previous job) Top earners hitting 60K 85% of grads earn up to 41.5K in there FIRST YEAR!
    Progression - I got promoted after just 6 months and there are plenty of opportunities to progress in the business.
    Regular nights out - You are treated to regular nights out whereby, you get free drinks, free food and they're normally in popular hot spots in Manchester..what more could you possibly want?
    Unlimited chocolate all day long (This can be very dangerous)
    Subsidised food in the canteen which includes Starbucks!
    Discounted gym, parking, 20% of KettleBell.

Cons

It can be long hours however, if you want to earn a serious amount of money this shouldn't be an issue. The business opens at weekends which you can come in to top up your own wage - you literally write your own pay cheque.

8. "Great for earning good money instantly"

I have been working at AO full-time

Pros

- The earning potential
    - The culture/ colleagues are all sound

Cons

- Long working hours
    - Monotonous

9. "Lives up to it's culture first approach to employee"

Current Employee - Web Analytics Manager
    Current Employee - Web Analytics Manager

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture lead environments
    strong benefits
    most employees are allowed to be autonomous and make decisions to take things forward
    Opportunity to work with great new technologies and real opportunity to push and develop, i've progressed more in the last 6 months than i did in the last 2 years.

Cons

Carpark is 10 minutes walk from the main office, but a shuttle bus is provided.

Advice to Management

Keep and maintain the focus on company values.

"Assistant Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Sales Training: It's an environment where the coaching is tailored to you as an individual. The time and money invested in training and development ensures that everyone is well equipped to progress at their own pace.

- Career Progression: Progression is a level playing field. Whether you have a wealth of experience or you are new to sales, if you have the right attitude then you can progress quickly.

- Wage Packet: The pay is unrivaled. Since joining the business 8 months ago I have managed to buy 2 properties which has been my goal since joining the business.

Cons

- Requires Dedication - If you're not money motivated or career/goal orientated its not the job for you. If you are then I can't think of a better place to work.

Advice to Management

Holidays could be managed better.