AO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
AO CEO John Roberts
John Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun and vibrant environment to work in (in 10 reviews)

• Everyone is very supportive and they do as much as possible to keep their employees happy from free snacks to team & company outings (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Car Park is 10 mins away but that's the only negative (in 9 reviews)

• You need to enjoy a fast paced environment where challenge is a constant thing (in 8 reviews)

1. "Why I LOVE Working at AO!"

Current Employee - Events & Engagement Executive in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Events & Engagement Executive in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never before worked in a company with such genuine and like minded individuals who are so friendly and willing to help. From the moment I was told I had the job, my team and department went above and beyond to make me feel welcome and I have felt that way every since. The office environment is fantastic with so many perks and I personally resonate with the companies values. AO is a company I foresee myself staying with for a long time.

Cons

This isn't an issue for me personally, but AO is a very fast paced environment therefore, for those people who aren't up for the challenge, this may not be the business/ environment for you.

Advice to Management

Be more visible and communicate with your team.

2. "Stay clear if you want a life"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and drink, social aspects, commission and the events.

Cons

I say the social aspects were good, but being honest, this job completely took my life away from me, I had no time to spend with people outside of work. The job is not what it's cracked up to be, yes, the earning potentials are well and good. But to get treated like sh%t by sly management and be expected to work like a machine, this is no career in my eyes. It felt very much like prison.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like humans and not numbers

3. "Sadly Disappointing"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working kind colleagues, grateful customers, freedom to do what is best for the customer

Cons

Production line, battery hen feel to the role. Petty rules.logging when you go to the toilet, management very cliquey.

Advice to Management

Don’t be afraid to manage a different way, get to know your staff, don’t be blinkered that everyone is lucky to work there... it’s no different to other call centres and certainly a lot worse in the way it is ran than it should be. It has massive potential for positive changes.... don’t take all negative feedback as a criticism.. practise what you preach and learn from it.

"Sales inbound"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Executive in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Executive in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having a job & the extra they offer while your in work. Drinks food spa discounted gym membership etc. Which should be standards in all big companies

Cons

No communication have all there policy’s and don’t follow them there self. Long hours. Late finish 10pm and working weekends

Advice to Management

Your there to manage a team of employees. Not give orders as of your in the army. A lot of managers couldn’t do the job . But yet give advise on how it should be done.

6 Nov 2017

We always listen to the feedback we receive from AO’ers and take this into consideration. In the contact centre, we conduct regular ‘how’s it going’ chats to gain insight... More

"Bad Place to Work!"

Pros

Pool table, thats about it.

Cons

Awful salary.
    No career progression.
    Opinions get ignored.

"Absolutely loved my time at AO and only really left due to travel time and having a new baby."

Former Employee - Sales Trainer in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Trainer in Manchester, England

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, brilliant location, excellent perks. They only employ proven, money hungry sales people so that made my job (to train them) much more enjoyable than previous roles. My manager was sound.

Cons

Personally I enjoyed everything about it. I did develop a habit of eating very unhealthily, but I enjoyed that too.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting people who fit the culture and ensure you always pay all staff what they deserve (not just the sales guys).

8. "Good team"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Crewe, England
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Crewe, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast;
    Good team;
    Good shift managers.

Cons

Long hours;
    Hard job- you must lift/ spin heavy products.

17 Oct 2017

Thank you for your review.

We always encourage our employees to voice their opinions, and listen to all feedback regarding working patterns in their roles.

The majority of feedback about our... More

9. "Recruitment"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Crewe, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company work for and there are lots of benefits and have a very friendly and flexible approach

Cons

cant think of any at all

"CEx Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working here! Encouraged and inspired to bring new ideas to your role.
    Word hard, play hard ethos.
    Love that the customer is the main focus and we empower our specialists to do whatever they feel necessary to resolve their query.
    Great company to work for.

Cons

It's not really a con and just being picky... the walk down from the car park takes 10 minutes. But its good exercise and wakes you up in the morning.

"Yesterday I left AO"

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Developer in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Developer in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So yesterday I left my role at AO after over 3.5 years with the company. AO is truly a great company to work for and I am very sad to leave (if anyone gets the opportunity to work for AO, especially in IT, I would highly recommend it). The people especially are fantastic, and these people made it a very tough decision. I am so grateful to the people that I have worked with over the years as they have helped me to develop technically but also as a person, I have learnt so much about myself as well as great skills to add to list.

I have always told friends and family that to get me away from AO it would really have to be a great opportunity, but now I believe this great opportunity has come along and it's come at the right time for me, to challenge me again, and to hopefully take me on to great things! For that, as hard as it was to leave AO, I am so excited to get stuck into my new role on Monday. Bring it on!

There are a lot of people to thank, but they should know who they are. Thanks guys! x

Cons

For me there weren't any cons. Every job has its ups and downs, but I'd say I had far more ups and not many downs and especially no downs that were big deals.

3 Jul 2017

Thanks for the review!

We miss you already, thank you so much for sharing your experience at AO.

You have made a huge impression on the team and wider business with all the amazing work you... More