AO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
AO CEO Steve Caunce
Steve Caunce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great environment to work in, you are looked after and also challenged in your role" (in 13 reviews)

• "The company is very fast paced (sometimes a little hectic" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be very fast paced occasionally but this is just a side effect of the dedication the team has" (in 15 reviews)

• "Use to be the place to be (USE) NO Work life balance what so ever" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Lovely people and culture of growth and autonomy"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at AO was like working with a great big family. The opportunities for growth are there if you want to take them, and the senior staff really bend over backwards to help with your development.

Teams are free to pursue their own "flavour" of Agile, and to forge relationships with stakeholders.

Cons

Reasonable training requests are catered for within the 5 days training, but can be unnecessarily prescriptive. Training requests have to be in-line with things that will definitely benefit the department as a whole. Not an unreasonable supposition, but doesn't help individuals wanting to improve and develop themselves outside of that remit.

Tooling support tied in with budgetary review rather than aligned to team's autonomy.

2. "Digital marketing specialists"

I worked at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great to be part of an in house digital marketing team.

Talented people.

Decent budgets.

Opportunities to trial the latest innovations in media.

Cons

Must like washing machines a bit.

Advice to Management

Keep a clear strategy to unite the ever growing teams.

3. "Good company values"

I have been working at AO full-time

Pros

Ao work on some good base principles and prioritise the customer.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get things done

4. "Tough but rewarding"

Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Manchester, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money, earning the most money I've ever earned.
    Great culture, loads of nights out to get involved in.
    Fun working environment
    Clear progression

Cons

Long Hours due the 'Get the job done' mentality throughout the office! Fine with this though due to the commission!

5. "Ask your staff to hold honest values"

I have been working at AO full-time

Pros

good commission structure which is good

Cons

established members of staff in respectable positions taking sole advantage of situations

Advice to Management

how worse can it get , an established member in a good position asked me to missell the worry free plan when compliance had come out, apply yourself professionally in your role keep an eye on your staff

AO Response

29 Nov 2018 – Recruitment Manager

We’re sorry that you feel this way. We have an open door culture here at AO, and we always encourage our AO’ers to speak to a Senior Managers if they have any feedback... More

6. "Delivery Team, Crewe"

Former Employee - Day of Delivery Team Call Handler in Crewe, England
    Former Employee - Day of Delivery Team Call Handler in Crewe, England

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is such a wonderful, friendly environment. Managers cant do enough to help and it is a real family environment. You do get free drinks and food etc, but that is nothing compared to the good healthy atmosphere that you will be working in. There are many opportunities to progress, should you choose to and Managers are always open and willing to listen to suggestions or ideas you may have to improve employees lives there as well as the customer service.

Cons

The various shift start times can be an ordeal at first if you are not naturally an early riser, this can sometimes be accommodated/worked around if it becomes an issue though by swapping rota with someone else in the team that doesn't mind the early start/finish.

Advice to Management

Move to Chester so that I can work for you again. I think you are great and am very sad that I had to move on.

"Ao the worst workplace"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Potters Bar, England
    Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Potters Bar, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

4 on 4 off shift pattern

Cons

Southern management do not care for your well being they have total disregard for your safety when faced with large/ heavy appliances to lift up stairs if your health and safety is at risk they still make it hard for you to fail the job. Same with gas regulations they try and convince you to install appliances where the safety guidelines are not being completely met.
    Job surveys are not carried out properly leading to customers being told appliances will be fit no problem so leaving engineers to take verbal abuse from angry customers who were sure that they would get their appliance if anything went wrong ( cannot fit/ wrong electrics, gas ).
    Pay does not go up by any sizeable amount and you cannot get raises unless you go up in position regardless of time served. Also they deduct from you wages anything they can , you have to work for a year straight before you can have one paid sick day, if you hurt yourself at work you don’t get paid any of the days your off for recovery unless you take over 4 days.
    Also on call shifts take priority over anything so if you cannot find child cover or have Emergency’s to deal with at short notice then that’ll count as an AWOL which can lead to displinry action.

In short the worst workplace I have had the displeasure to work at, I honestly cannot wait to find another job.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing us to endanger our health

AO Response

29 Nov 2018 – Recruitment Manager

We are disappointed to hear you haven’t had a positive experience whilst working with us. We’re in the business of making customers happy so all of our engineers are... More

"Inbound Sales STM"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales STM in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales STM in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Earning potential, Over time potential, progression, Team nights out payed for by the business, Rewards and recognition at the quarterly awards, AO Hires staff on personality traits and that is evident when walking around everyone is very happy and positive I would say that is the biggest pro the people make it the perfect environment for a money hungry salesman to make the most of an uncapped bonus structure.

Cons

If you say in your interview you are a positive person who thrives under the pressure of a sales environment and you are not, this will be evident from the first week in the job after training.

9. "Fantastic company, makes getting out of bed and coming to work a joy"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Senior Team Member in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Senior Team Member in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been in the company 9 months and due to a flexible and understanding recruitment team was able to move from Customer service into Sales. During my time on the sales floor I have worked very closely with management, not only earning money I didn't think possible, but managing to develop my leadership and sales skills closely alongside a progressive and forward-thinking management team. This has allowed me to progress to a Senior Team Member with aspirations of achieving much more. The whole building has a real family feel, from the catering staff right through to the directors, with outside-work activities ranging from go-karting right through to weekly football. The management on the sales floor have been incredibly considerate of family issues and have expressed genuine care and concern for my happiness during my stay here. I can safely say I can see myself at AO for many years to come, and cant wait to grow alongside fantastic people in a fantastic environment.

Cons

Free snacks mean I cant stop eating- if this can be seen as a concern!

Advice to Management

More of the same

10. "The only review you'll need to read."

Current Employee - Assistant Team Manager in Horwich, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Manager in Horwich, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Basic, Better Commission (if sales based)
    The atmosphere is always upbeat. Everyone is friendly and always smiling.
    Internal development is always really important and happens often with the growing business needs.
    Onsite starbucks for those in need of a wake up, onsite health beauty spa, free fruit, crisps, chocolate and cans and just incase you think AO haven't thought of it all £2 gym membership just across the road.
    I've worked here for 6.5 years and enjoy everyday.

AO is a career not a job!!

Cons

The commute to work can be a bit tricky from South Manchester.