AO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Steve Caunce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great environment to work in, you are looked after and also challenged in your role" (in 9 reviews)

• "All the people share the same values, which is important due to the fast paced nature of the business" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be very fast paced occasionally but this is just a side effect of the dedication the team has" (in 13 reviews)

• "Use to be the place to be (USE) NO Work life balance what so ever" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Your contributions will be recognised and if you push yourself you will be rewarded."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong focus on and investment in personal development. Encouragement and support in using latest technologies and methodologies. Sense of autonomy and ownership of products. Supportive community and friendly atmosphere.

Honestly, I have loved my time at AO. The IT department is awesome and the support of those around you is fantastic.

Cons

Cannot speak for the rest of the company but in IT there is a relatively flat hierarchy. If you are somebody who likes extra words in your title this could be a little disheartening. For me, this was never a problem.

Advice to Management

Flexible and remote working - more of this please. Other that, keep being awesome!

2. "Fast paced, Fun and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to work for anyone who loves and thrives in a fast paced, target driven sales environment. The reward and recognition you receive through commission, incentives, awards etc is brilliant, and the training and coaching is great too! It’s always fun yet informative and really helps you get better at the job.

Cons

Free chocolate and crisps mean it’s too easy to indulge. Sometimes the fast pace and targets isn’t for everyone but mainly that’s people who aren’t as motivated.

"Big Money"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment with lots of opportunity to earn lots of money. I've worked here for a few years and have already paid off my student loan. Very much a work hard play hard mentality, with social events very frequent. I have seen people i started with already progress to assistant sales manager and sales manager roles. The perks of working for this company are better than any other sales company i have seen in Manchester.

Cons

Has attracted the wrong people in recent times with some negativity seeping into the office. These people are making it worse for the majority.

Advice to Management

Identify the small pocket of people who are creating the negativity and remove them.

4. "Inbound Sales - Bolton"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, can earn great money, monthly nights out and events, clear and achievable career path and brilliant incentives that include holidays! A lot of the managers and STM's are from within which is great to see.
    Free drinks, crisps, Starbucks, canteen, really nice office to work in with a spa, gym membership. What more could you want?

Cons

Sometimes you do have to work more hours than expected, but that is expected in sales and its worth doing to earn the money you can get, suppose you can’t expect to earn 50k plus by doing a normal hour week every week.

Advice to Management

Keep giving the support you are giving, and continue to develop people.

"Sales Executive - Manchester"

I worked at AO full-time

Pros

Great bunch of people, excellent training, fun nights out, supportive managers, lovely office, always something going on. Starbucks, cafe, free breakfast, drinks, crisps, chocolate. Amazing money to be earned, always fair and feel valued.

Cons

Some people need to work extra hours to achieve what they want to earn, this causes some people to become negative, they then attempt to push that negativity and it clouds what is actually an amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. Seeing people who’ve done the role and understand the job progress, really drives others.

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Digital Analyst in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Digital Analyst in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Really good office space and canteen.
    -Excellent perks such as heavily gym membership.
    -Lots of training provided.

Cons

-Like a cult working there with their values everywhere you turn.
    -Excessive workload.
    -Poor middle management.

Advice to Management

Be more thorough with how staff are treated and who is promoted to managerial level.

AO Response

6 Jul 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review

Our values embody the way that we approach every day to get the best results for both the customer and AO. We continue to offer an experience to our customers that they... More

"Sales Manchester"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having recently read some of the Glassdoor reviews I think they must be corrected. I have had a few sales jobs in Manchester, as have some of my friends. AO is hands down the best one I have had.

Some people want things handing to them on a plate. Life and work just isnt like that. Last year I earned over £50K and did the same the year before. The bonus is uncapped and you can put extra time in, if you want or need to, to hit accelerators.

If you are a good salesperson, you want to earn the most money possible for your ability, so I was surprised to see a few comments about bullying, Yes, your manager will push you. But that is the same in any sales role. Its not a hard life earning so much for speaking to people.

I have also seen many people be promoted during my time here. The option is open for development if you want it. But again these people put the effort in.

The nights out are good and the company Christmas Do and Black Friday period are great. Its proper work hard, play hard. Ive met some really good friends here.

Cons

Some of my peers are negative, which can be draining when you are trying to hit your numbers.

Advice to Management

Dont take people on who are not money motivated. They bring the mood of the department down.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Manchester, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big comms available i usually get 600 pound a week. good nights out, they pay towards parking at the NCP near the office, free snacks and drinks

Cons

Can be hard to get a holiday sometimes

Advice to Management

Stop all the neg heads trying to ruin it, is a good place to work.

"nightmare"

I worked at AO full-time

Pros

some good benefits, team lunches and nights out occasionally. yes you can make pretty good money (or you certainly used to be able to)

Cons

Where do i begin. The managers are a bunch of unqualified, unprofessional, ruthless individuals and some of them are pretty aggressive. They lack the ability to articulate themselves in an intelligent fashion and have the cheek to act like they care and have your best interests at heart. They could't care less. Just see how they treat you when you're ill or have important things going on in your personal life. They make you feel bad whenever you decide to go home for the day, even though you're only contracted till 6pm. They also assume you're free and available every single weekend for them without asking you. The bullying tactics used in that place disgust me. Trying to threaten me with my job just because i can't come in and work on the weekend without pay so you can get paid more? The greed is unbelievable. The targets are unrealistic and remain the same regardless of the fluctuation in company sales, which makes absolutely no sense. It emphasises that these managers don't have the simplest idea of how business works. It's laughable that some of these managers even got promoted, brown noising will get you places. Some of them could hardly do the job themselves anyway, so how did they get promoted to such senior positions? at one point i had a manager who was basically useless. he had never done the job himself and just dragged the team into the room at every opportunity to shout and be aggressive. he had no idea how to get on the phones himself when the team was struggling, is he not part of the ''team''? They even make you feel bad about getting a drink, going to the toilet or taking a 20 second break in between calls. Maybe they should employ robots and not human beings....

Advice to Management

learn to speak to people with a bit of respect. they earn your money for you. you sit around and do nothing all day pretty much bar abit of coaching and call listening. reduce the targets, dont be so unrealistic and make people out to be 'negative' when something is clearly not achievable. dont make people so miserable by squeezing every drop out of them every week. making them work every evening and weekend. making agents feel like a hero one week then a villain the next just shows how disloyal and manipulative you are. doesn't display the 'caring' value you guys seem to pride yourselves upon.

AO Response

26 Jun 2018 – Recruitment Manager

All Sales Managers in Manchester partake in ISSM accredited training as we appreciate that the ability to manage a team is a different skill-set to working on the phones... More

"Brilliant place to work"

I have been working at AO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at AO for a long time and seen the business grow from strength to strength.
    People are looked after with plenty of benefits and great on-site facilities.
    Very fast paced environment which is great but can sometimes have it's cons.

Cons

Sometimes the pace things move it is a little hard to keep up with especially with the resource we have.
    Getting things done from an IT perspective can sometimes be timely due to the workload they have and the amount of changes consistently coming through.