AO Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
AO CEO John Roberts
John Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun and vibrant environment to work in (in 12 reviews)

• Everyone is very supportive and they do as much as possible to keep their employees happy from free snacks to team & company outings (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fast-paced business, so only join if you're up for a challenge (in 11 reviews)

• Car Park is 10 mins away but that's the only negative (in 9 reviews)

1. "Autonomy and Progression"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horwich, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horwich, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in, you are looked after and also challenged in your role. The biggest plus for me has been the autonomy there is not the attitude of 'we have always done it like this' in the business, if you've got a good idea, you are given the resources and time to run with it.l

Cons

I can not think of anything worth putting as a con, as an eCommerce organisation it is very fast paced with a lot of change which may not suit some people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, the people I work with all feel fulfilled in their roles and enjoy the environment

"Sadly disappointed"

Current Employee - Engineer in Crewe, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in Crewe, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

4 days off. I get paid

Cons

Sadly the most disappointing place I've ever worked. Lack of communication from management. Our doors are always open you are promised. However, the downstairs door is always locked. You'll never get an email reply from upper management. It seems to be... it's not my job. Ask someone else. Installation targets are hard to meet if you're a conscientious worker.

Advice to Management

Please communicate more. Don't look down on engineers, we're the actual face of the company. More time needed for installations, no room for leeway hence jobs get failed. Too many managers of different departments and none seem to take ownership. It's a great shame because it could be so much better

16 Jan 2018

Thanks for your review

We always take feedback seriously, as it helps make sure we’re doing things in the best way for our AO’ers and our customers. If you ever feel like you aren’t getting the... More

3. "A Great Place to Work"

Pros

A business that genuinely cares about its customers and its staff.
    Great benefits.
    Great people.

Cons

Salaries could be more competitive.

"No Leadership or Direction at ALL levels of management."

Current Employee - People Team in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - People Team in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very few. Some of the people I work are ok. Most are fairly two faced which is an atmosphere created by AO. Everyone pretends to be happy or else.

Cons

No leadership at all. Most of the managers are really poor lacking basic people skills.

Lots of senior people have left or are leaving over the last 12 months which is not a good sign. Two this week. In my department we had a meeting about some of us maybe being let go. Not great after Christmas.

The main directors aren't approachable at all and do not inspire any confidence. The company has gone backwards over the last couple of years and is not what it was. People leave my department constantly. The pay is also poor for your job. Its the same across the company.

Advice to Management

Stop the cliquey behaviour and learn some basic empathy and people skills. Provide some leadership or get people in who can!

19 Jan 2018

AO’ers are given many channels to voice their ideas and feedback as a collective voice.

We know that not everything we do will be 100% perfect for everyone. This is... More

"Fantastic company with great people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy working at AO and I am very proud to be part of such an inspiring and forward thinking business.
    The company is very fast paced (sometimes a little hectic!) but it is a happy and engaging environment to work in.
    For me, the biggest Pro to working at AO is the people. The company recruits based on their company values, therefore the people of the business are very like-minded, passionate people who are all driven to achieve the same goal.
    The company prides itself on growing talent from within and I have personally experienced this first hand receiving lots of support and development opportunities over the years that I have worked here.
    I absolutely never dread coming to work, and I actually love Mondays!

Cons

A lot of the additional benefits to working at AO, i.e. free food , chocolate, subsidised gym etc are now very standard across the market so they could do with a benefits refresh.
    Very fast paced and demanding business - which I don't see as a bad thing, but anyone wanting to work here needs to be up for the challenge!

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and honest.

7. "Why I LOVE Working at AO!"

Current Employee - Events & Engagement Executive in Bolton, England
    Current Employee - Events & Engagement Executive in Bolton, England

I have been working at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never before worked in a company with such genuine and like minded individuals who are so friendly and willing to help. From the moment I was told I had the job, my team and department went above and beyond to make me feel welcome and I have felt that way every since. The office environment is fantastic with so many perks and I personally resonate with the companies values. AO is a company I foresee myself staying with for a long time.

Cons

This isn't an issue for me personally, but AO is a very fast paced environment therefore, for those people who aren't up for the challenge, this may not be the business/ environment for you.

Advice to Management

Be more visible and communicate with your team.

"Stay clear if you want a life"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and drink, social aspects, commission and the events.

Cons

I say the social aspects were good, but being honest, this job completely took my life away from me, I had no time to spend with people outside of work. The job is not what it's cracked up to be, yes, the earning potentials are well and good. But to get treated like sh%t by sly management and be expected to work like a machine, this is no career in my eyes. It felt very much like prison.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like humans and not numbers

23 Nov 2017

With our sales teams we always stress the hours you are likely to work at the point of interview and offer. AO always allow our sales executives / advisors the... More

"Sadly Disappointing"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working kind colleagues, grateful customers, freedom to do what is best for the customer

Cons

Production line, battery hen feel to the role. Petty rules.logging when you go to the toilet, management very cliquey.

Advice to Management

Don’t be afraid to manage a different way, get to know your staff, don’t be blinkered that everyone is lucky to work there... it’s no different to other call centres and certainly a lot worse in the way it is ran than it should be. It has massive potential for positive changes.... don’t take all negative feedback as a criticism.. practise what you preach and learn from it.

23 Nov 2017

We are pleased that you have highlighted AO’s commitment to our customer experience and the freedom we allow our Specialists to do what is right. The nature of the role... More

"Sales inbound"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Executive in Bolton, England
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Executive in Bolton, England

I worked at AO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having a job & the extra they offer while your in work. Drinks food spa discounted gym membership etc. Which should be standards in all big companies

Cons

No communication have all there policy’s and don’t follow them there self. Long hours. Late finish 10pm and working weekends

Advice to Management

Your there to manage a team of employees. Not give orders as of your in the army. A lot of managers couldn’t do the job . But yet give advise on how it should be done.

6 Nov 2017

We always listen to the feedback we receive from AO’ers and take this into consideration. In the contact centre, we conduct regular ‘how’s it going’ chats to gain insight... More

"Bad Place to Work!"

Pros

Pool table, thats about it.

Cons

Awful salary.
    No career progression.