AO Reviews

Updated 11 May 2021

3.7
AO CEO John Roberts
John Roberts
Pros
  • "Great company benefits including SPA and staff discounts(in 28 reviews)

• "2 gym and subsided Starbucks all this with a great bunch of people makes it a great place to work(in 27 reviews)

• Cons
  • "heavy lifting, long hours, money not worth it(in 18 reviews)

• "It is busy and fast paced so need to be able to work under pressure(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

ss

10 May 2021 - Customer Service Specialist in Bolton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

nice management and happy place to be

Cons

cutomerd can be difficult sometimes

Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review for us – and for reminding us how lucky we are to have all the wonderful things you’ve mentioned. I'm so glad you’re having a great time here at AO. All the best, Vic Rogers (Chief People Officer)

2. 5.0

Challenging and Rewarding Carrier at AO

4 May 2021 - Customer Experience Manager in Thatcham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a manager you get freedom to do your best and use your knowledge to improve your department/team. Constant learning is given, if you believe in Lifetime learning your place is here. You are always surrounded with brilliant people not just to support each other, to learn from each other, but also to have a friendly catch up. There are opportunities to progress in your carrier.

Cons

Growing business means constant changes, you need to be resilient and adaptive. Workload can feel overwhelming, but my line manager is always supportive, there is nothing that some time management cannot resolve, the key is communication, never to feel ashamed to ask for help. Shift patterns and weekend commitments are not for everyone. I personally like working different shifts and occasional weekend days, not everyone is the same. Always consider online retail is 24/7 business.

Recruitment Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience with us – it was lovely to read that AO has had such a positive impact for you. Let me take this opportunity to say thank you for choosing us and for all the hard work you put in - Vic Rogers (Chief People Officer)

3. 5.0

good job good people

29 Apr 2021 - Gas Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

four on four off work days

Cons

the customers need to be able to write the correct amount of stairs not 31 and up needs to be clear, so the logistic team can know what crew to send for the job. also customer needs to be able to upload photos or videos of the job before hand which can be assessed by an engineer or competent drivers line staff, to make sure the on site engineers know what they will be coming to do rather than just hit and hope with the customers explanation who are not engineers and don't really know the job in hand, this would save so much time, customer disappointment help the day run smoother.

Recruitment Manager

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We're pleased to hear that you feel that the four-on/four-off format works for you. We're always looking for ways we can improve and so I will relay your feedback to the Logistics team in hopes that we can act on your suggestions. Thank you again for your review - all the best, AO.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

5 May 2021 - Customer Service Specialist in Bolton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free chocolate/sweets and drinks! Food is really good, we have a starbucks and a spa! Everyone is dead friendly and welcoming and helpful when you need anything. It's very career motivated place and there is always lots of help to guide you on to the right path

Cons

There isn't any so far!

Recruitment Manager

Thanks so much for leaving such an amazing review – it’s lovely to hear that you enjoy working for AO. Your happiness is really important to us. We believe our AOer's are awesome too, that's because we make a point of hiring super lovely people. I'm glad you mentioned that you're happy with the development opportunities too, we work really hard to help everyone broaden their skills and achieve their career goals. Thanks again, Vic Rogers (Chief People Officer)

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

10 May 2021 - Copywriter in Bolton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pace, people, culture, perks, leadership

Cons

Payrises can be difficult to come by

Recruitment Manager

We're so grateful for your kind words. Thanks for sharing your review with us and the Glassdoor community. All the best, Vic Rogers (Chief People Officer)

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Just get one foot in the door.

14 Mar 2021 - 3D Modeling Artist in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Relaxed atmosphere - Good perks - relative flexi time - good work, life balance Truly a great place to start your career the atmosphere is relaxed despite the efforts of some employees and is filled with great people. However sticking around could mean stalling a more fulfilling and rewarding career elsewhere. Get experience, contribute what you can and get out.

Cons

- Poor career progression - Poor management - Lack of investment in 3D technology - Lack of innovation - Dated pipeline and workflow Some employees attempt to make it a toxic place to work and management changes hands so often it is impossible to plan for the future as the company is too busy reliving the past. This has led to the pipeline of the 3D department aging terribly to the point it is beyond repair and just needs a complete revamp to bring the content produced in line with todays standards. Finally career progression is either non-existent or moves at a snails pace in the company. I truly believe AO could be a great place to work if it rediscovered its adventurous and scrappy roots and did away with with clinging to the past.

2 people found this review helpful

Marketing Assistant

Thanks for your review. If you don’t mind, we’d love to hear a bit more about your time with us – it’d be great to get some extra feedback so we can offer a better experience for AO’ers in future. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with any other feedback or suggestions you’d like to share. Again, thanks so much for taking the time to review AO – it’s greatly appreciated

7. 5.0

8 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Bolton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive, great culture, encourage development

Cons

None that I can think of

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Your kind words mean a lot to us. All the best - AO

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

GREAT PLACE!!

4 May 2021 - Assistant Manager in Horwich, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fab working environment - free snacks & drinks :)

Cons

Nothing negative to mention really

9. 5.0

Great

5 May 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Thatcham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Wish we could be back in the office.

Recruitment Manager

We think our AO’ers are pretty awesome, and we'd love to be back in the office too so we can see everyone's smiling faces! Thank you for leaving your review and all the best :-) AO

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Poor attitudes towards new staff

29 Nov 2020 - Sales Executive in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Money can be good, if you work 70 hours a week (not paid overtime), if you work longer to get more sales that is, I’ve handed my notice in so I’m on my way out! That’s a pro! Cya!

Cons

- Team leaders want sales staff in 7 days a week doing 70 hours a week with no paid overtime. (Weekends are not contracted nor is working past 5pm) - Will be bombarded with text messages if you leave at 5pm - Don’t understand how people have families and other commitments to tend to. It’s not all about work work work. - If you have a day off because your dependent is ill, they say “consider whether or not this job is for you” - Performance when above where it needs to be, is not recognised in a good light. As it still won’t be enough. - Team Leaders have easy jobs. Just work employees into the ground, when it gets too much for the agent, they get replaced. Constant cycle. - Compliance impossible to hit, majority of sales staff lose money week in week out. - Terrible staff turnover. 18 of us were in my induction and there’s only 3 of us left, most left due to how they were treated/hours/spoken to - “effectiveness” targets, or more commonly known as adherence, means you can’t have longer than 30 seconds between calls, as they will be onto you in a flash for having a breather.

7 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m disappointed to hear the concerns you’ve raised, as a company which is renowned for its incredibly positive culture, we’re shocked to learn this wasn't your experience. This doesn’t sound like the way we do things at AO and I’ll make sure your comments are fed back. We have an independent and confidential whistle-blowing service, available for both current and past employees - if you've had a particular issue which wasn't resolved, we’d like to investigate. The contact number is: 01204 672 601. All the best, AO

Viewing 1 - 10 of 374 Reviews