Ably Reviews

Updated 26 Apr 2021

4.9
Ably CEO and Co-Founder Matthew O Riordan (no image)
Matthew O Riordan
  1. 5.0

I fit in at Ably!

26 Apr 2021 - SDK Developer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- There are valuable colleagues: emotional intelligent, smart, experienced or all simultaneously. E.g. I was in a call with 3 people, and we had 50 years of experience in technology. People are thoughtful when needed: long term strategy, short term tactics and communication. - There are even more perks, but here are some I like: Juno (which is an app with extra perks like food delivery, apple watch, based on accumulating points), healthcare, snack budget for every friday meeting, which goes between 4 to 5pm. - There is an outgoing, friendly and dedicated people team, who are detecting any issues they find. The people team have introduced an anonymous form for people to submit further information if they have any issues. They also share resources online, and recommend/ (advocate on slack) people buy resources/ books and get them expensed. - Organised: the confluence pages are well written - Very open. Things are very transparent. Adding an anonymous Q&A in the weekly meeting.

Cons

Nothing so far to mention.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing company to work for :)

15 Apr 2021 - People Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Genuine openness Growing quickly Lovely team Autonomy and ability to learn

Cons

There isn't anything so far!

3. 5.0

Great place to grow in

29 Jan 2021 - Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clear vision Great culture Smart people Interesting and hard problem space

Cons

Not anything I can think of. We're growing so we're always adapting.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Exceptional company! A true pleasure to work for them

28 Dec 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots and here are a few of them -Caring management and HR - Very bright, passionate and considerate colleagues -Great salary, benefits and equipment -Company on incredible trajectory

Cons

None that I can think of. This is easily the best place I have ever worked

Head of People

Thanks for your review. Great to hear you're enjoying your time at Ably :)

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fun, social and full of potential

23 Sep 2020 - Marketing Executive in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people working at Ably are brilliant. The company attracts a range of characters making it very easy to fit in. - A company that encourages learning and personal development. - Lots of social activities, even when everyone is working remotely. - The CEO has the drive to take Ably to unlimited heights. - Ably is actively building its own and contributing to existing developer communities. - Ably seems to attract a lot of interest from investors, which is always a good sign.

Cons

Being a start-up, Ably is still finding its way in some regards.

Head of People

Thanks for taking the time to give us this review :)

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Really friendly colleagues

4 Feb 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice working environment supportive colleagues

Cons

No cons, really lovely team and very technical product

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

An engaging workplace with a fantastic team

17 Oct 2019 - Sales Development Representative in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

At Ably you're given responsibility from the get-go. You're trusted to get on with your work, while at the same have access to a great workplace culture with a management team who genuinely cares about employee growth and experience. As a result, there's a really healthy feel to the team. Working here currently involves wearing a few different hats, and the role itself can be challenging. This is a great way to learn new skills and feel like you're tangibly developing in your career. The company is small enough that your opinion feels heard and can influence the direction of your role.

Cons

The learning curve can be steep if you don't have a technical background! But the opportunities for growth are great, and it's truly a privilege to gain insight into highly technical aspects of the business. We're in a 'middle bit' of growth and only just starting to put scalable processes in place. But being a part of this and getting a real say in the company's development is an amazing feeling.

Head of People

Thanks for your review. Really glad to hear that you're enjoying your role at Ably. Being both trusted and challenged is exactly what we're aiming for! :)

8. 5.0

Great work environment

11 Feb 2020 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing people with a clear passion - Engaging work which feels on the edge of current tech - A lot of potential for personal growth

Cons

Company is currently in a state of rapid growth, so hard to tell how it'll be in even a year's time.

Head of People

That's really great to hear! Thanks for your feedback. Scaling fast is challenging, but done in the right way, offers so much opportunity! In a year's time, we're sure you'll enjoy it as much as you do now; we're committed to making sure the culture stays healthy, and the work both interesting and challenging. Keep giving us your feedback - it's what keeps us heading in the right direction!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great working atmosphere, generous pay, days fun and productive, company going places

31 Jul 2019 - Marketing in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great management/ culture - everyone is trusted to own and get on with their tasks to contribute to the company's fast growth, and everyone does just that! The result is a flexible working culture, where stuff also gets done to a high standard. It's an exciting industry to work in, with a sense of a company 'on the up', and an industry (realtime data transfer infrastructure) catering for a visible niche in the market. 5 stars for everything looks suspicious, but can honestly say haven't worked anywhere with such a fantastic culture.

Cons

Hard to say - we are hiring and in a period of change. Maintaining this culture at scale will depend on new hires and tweaking current processes.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

It's pretty cool in the Ably office

31 Jan 2020 - Senior Account Manager in Old Street, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the product, love the people. Ably gets the balance right on everything that matters

Cons

Except the office temperature ...

Head of People

Thanks for your review. So pleased to hear you're enjoying your time at Ably :) I don't think I've worked anywhere where the office temperature hasn't been a problem - but of course, we'll do all we can to get the balance right :)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews