Ably Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2022

Found 23 of over 23 reviews

5.0
Ably CEO and Co-Founder Matthew O Riordan (no image)
Matthew O Riordan

57 Comments

Tech

207.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Ably~2184188
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0

Great people and challenge

Apr 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company looks after their people. They create a great work/life balance.

Cons

We're growing so have some growing pains but we're addressing it.

Ably Response

Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it! And we love hearing that you feel valued and taken care of. If there is anything specific you'd like us to address please do not hesitate to reach out to the People team who will happily take your ideas on board! 🚀

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best company I have worked for so far.

Feb 15, 2022 - Enterprise Account Executive in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with colleagues that really care about the company and are committed to making Ably successful. Great product Great culture Great team The benefits of the company are also way above the usual things you get. Ably makes you feel comfortable WFH or remotely.

Cons

I have none so far.

Ably Response

Thanks for the feedback, we really do appreciate it! We love hearing that you enjoy working here and we love having you here! 🚀

3. 5.0

Open and intelligent culture

Feb 4, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really like how Ably was able to create a balanced culture of openness, honesty that naturally evokes creativity. As opposed to companies where unnatural pressure and stress is embraced and normalised, Ably does the opposite and looks after its people. Work wise, there are lots of challenging problems and you are always given opportunity to show the best of yourself. It is also remote first and flexible

Cons

Cons? Nope but with at least 5 words

Ably Response

Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated! We love that you enjoy the culture here at Ably. It's something we care deeply about and we want everyone to feel valued and looked after 🚀

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing culture, great place to work, keep it up!

Jan 12, 2022 - Senior Manager, Engineering/Delivery in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Very open, fun and friendly place to work - Great product, interesting projects and a very technical environment - Working with very clever people - Fast paced environment where you can make an actual difference - Social events!

Cons

None that i can think of from my perspective

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not just a "place to work" but a "place you love to work"

Sep 28, 2021 - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people - Many company like to push the idea that they value their people and fail miserably at it. Ably on the other really looks after its people. You feel heard, part of the company and valued. - The leadership is very open, no yada yada or hiding of information behind an entaglement of words or complex speeches. The people is very much aware at all times what's going on in the company. - Expertise in the area, every single person I've met, dominates at great depth their area of work, which is essential for great success. - Leadership knows what they're doing and want to achieve with the product. - Remote work!!!! - Office doggos! - Fun and unassuming leadership. - Did I mention remote work?

Cons

- Not.A.Single.One. - NOT.A.SINGLE.ONE.BUT.IN.CAPITALS. - var = "not.a.single.one.but.in.a.variable."

2 people found this review helpful

Head of People

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a nice review. Really glad to hear you're enjoying your time at Ably :)

6. 5.0

Open and fun

Aug 20, 2021 - Developer Advocate in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company is an open and friendly place to work. Product works well and customers are interesting. Very much trying to be a great place to work

Cons

Deeply technical to the point of being difficult to get to right commercial people. Growing fast so can be a bit of a blur of new faces

Head of People

Thanks for the review. We'll absolutely keep the culture front and center as we scale!

7. 5.0

Everyone else take note

Aug 10, 2021 - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly workforce, diverse personalities, supportive, collaborative, engaging, open and honest, great benefits, remote working

Cons

I am yet to find any (if there are any!)

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast paced but brilliant startup with a heart of gold/titanium

Jul 23, 2021 - Developer Advocate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ably has changed and grown a lot since I joined but the entire time it has kept its culture and values. The work can be fast paced and often changing, but it offers a chance to learn something new every day and to improve your skills. We're given the space to direct our own work, partly through the necessity of being a startup, but we're also given a huge amount of support by management. My colleagues at Ably are all incredibly generous with their time and expertise, we have some genuinely brilliant engineers on our team who love to share knowledge and help the rest of the team skill up. Ably fosters a culture of openness and honesty, the C Level folks tell us what the business is doing in a weekly all hands called the 'Need to Know'. I've personally found this to be helpful in understanding the direction of the company and where my role fits within it. Over lockdown we went remote-first, but Ably have been absolutely incredible at making sure we still socialise together and have fun experiences as well as working hard. For example - they sent us all a meal kit at Christmas and an online chef course where we all cooked together over zoom. They have run all kinds of fun activites for us from pottery courses, to animal life drawing to pasta making, to drag queen karaoke, all fully remote. We do also do in-person socialising when and where it is safe, we recently took a day to go canoeing on the canal in Hackney, picking litter for a local charity.

Cons

Ably is a fast growing startup, if you're used to the pace of a big corp you're going to feel like you were picked up by a whirlwind at first.

9. 5.0

I fit in at Ably!

Apr 26, 2021 - SDK Developer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- There are valuable colleagues: emotional intelligent, smart, experienced or all simultaneously. E.g. I was in a call with 3 people, and we had 50 years of experience in technology. People are thoughtful when needed: long term strategy, short term tactics and communication. - There are even more perks, but here are some I like: Juno (which is an app with extra perks like food delivery, apple watch, based on accumulating points), healthcare, snack budget for every friday meeting, which goes between 4 to 5pm. - There is an outgoing, friendly and dedicated people team, who are detecting any issues they find. The people team have introduced an anonymous form for people to submit further information if they have any issues. They also share resources online, and recommend/ (advocate on slack) people buy resources/ books and get them expensed. - Organised: the confluence pages are well written - Very open. Things are very transparent. Adding an anonymous Q&A in the weekly meeting.

Cons

Nothing so far to mention.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing company to work for :)

Apr 15, 2021 - People Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Genuine openness Growing quickly Lovely team Autonomy and ability to learn

Cons

There isn't anything so far!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews