Ably Reviews

Updated Sep 28, 2021

Found 19 of over 19 reviews

4.9
Ably CEO and Co-Founder Matthew O Riordan (no image)
Matthew O Riordan

227 Comments

Tech

83.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Ably~2184188
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not just a "place to work" but a "place you love to work"

Sep 28, 2021 - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people - Many company like to push the idea that they value their people and fail miserably at it. Ably on the other really looks after its people. You feel heard, part of the company and valued. - The leadership is very open, no yada yada or hiding of information behind an entaglement of words or complex speeches. The people is very much aware at all times what's going on in the company. - Expertise in the area, every single person I've met, dominates at great depth their area of work, which is essential for great success. - Leadership knows what they're doing and want to achieve with the product. - Remote work!!!! - Office doggos! - Fun and unassuming leadership. - Did I mention remote work?

Cons

- Not.A.Single.One. - NOT.A.SINGLE.ONE.BUT.IN.CAPITALS. - var = "not.a.single.one.but.in.a.variable."

Head of People

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a nice review. Really glad to hear you're enjoying your time at Ably :)

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Open and fun

Aug 20, 2021 - Developer Advocate in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company is an open and friendly place to work. Product works well and customers are interesting. Very much trying to be a great place to work

Cons

Deeply technical to the point of being difficult to get to right commercial people. Growing fast so can be a bit of a blur of new faces

Head of People

Thanks for the review. We'll absolutely keep the culture front and center as we scale!

3. 5.0

Everyone else take note

Aug 10, 2021 - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly workforce, diverse personalities, supportive, collaborative, engaging, open and honest, great benefits, remote working

Cons

I am yet to find any (if there are any!)

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast paced but brilliant startup with a heart of gold/titanium

Jul 23, 2021 - Developer Advocate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ably has changed and grown a lot since I joined but the entire time it has kept its culture and values. The work can be fast paced and often changing, but it offers a chance to learn something new every day and to improve your skills. We're given the space to direct our own work, partly through the necessity of being a startup, but we're also given a huge amount of support by management. My colleagues at Ably are all incredibly generous with their time and expertise, we have some genuinely brilliant engineers on our team who love to share knowledge and help the rest of the team skill up. Ably fosters a culture of openness and honesty, the C Level folks tell us what the business is doing in a weekly all hands called the 'Need to Know'. I've personally found this to be helpful in understanding the direction of the company and where my role fits within it. Over lockdown we went remote-first, but Ably have been absolutely incredible at making sure we still socialise together and have fun experiences as well as working hard. For example - they sent us all a meal kit at Christmas and an online chef course where we all cooked together over zoom. They have run all kinds of fun activites for us from pottery courses, to animal life drawing to pasta making, to drag queen karaoke, all fully remote. We do also do in-person socialising when and where it is safe, we recently took a day to go canoeing on the canal in Hackney, picking litter for a local charity.

Cons

Ably is a fast growing startup, if you're used to the pace of a big corp you're going to feel like you were picked up by a whirlwind at first.

5. 5.0

I fit in at Ably!

Apr 26, 2021 - SDK Developer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- There are valuable colleagues: emotional intelligent, smart, experienced or all simultaneously. E.g. I was in a call with 3 people, and we had 50 years of experience in technology. People are thoughtful when needed: long term strategy, short term tactics and communication. - There are even more perks, but here are some I like: Juno (which is an app with extra perks like food delivery, apple watch, based on accumulating points), healthcare, snack budget for every friday meeting, which goes between 4 to 5pm. - There is an outgoing, friendly and dedicated people team, who are detecting any issues they find. The people team have introduced an anonymous form for people to submit further information if they have any issues. They also share resources online, and recommend/ (advocate on slack) people buy resources/ books and get them expensed. - Organised: the confluence pages are well written - Very open. Things are very transparent. Adding an anonymous Q&A in the weekly meeting.

Cons

Nothing so far to mention.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing company to work for :)

Apr 15, 2021 - People Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Genuine openness Growing quickly Lovely team Autonomy and ability to learn

Cons

There isn't anything so far!

7. 5.0

Great place to grow in

Jan 29, 2021 - Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clear vision Great culture Smart people Interesting and hard problem space

Cons

Not anything I can think of. We're growing so we're always adapting.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Really friendly colleagues

Feb 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice working environment supportive colleagues

Cons

No cons, really lovely team and very technical product

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Exceptional company! A true pleasure to work for them

Dec 28, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots and here are a few of them -Caring management and HR - Very bright, passionate and considerate colleagues -Great salary, benefits and equipment -Company on incredible trajectory

Cons

None that I can think of. This is easily the best place I have ever worked

Head of People

Thanks for your review. Great to hear you're enjoying your time at Ably :)

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fun, social and full of potential

Sep 23, 2020 - Marketing Executive in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people working at Ably are brilliant. The company attracts a range of characters making it very easy to fit in. - A company that encourages learning and personal development. - Lots of social activities, even when everyone is working remotely. - The CEO has the drive to take Ably to unlimited heights. - Ably is actively building its own and contributing to existing developer communities. - Ably seems to attract a lot of interest from investors, which is always a good sign.

Cons

Being a start-up, Ably is still finding its way in some regards.

Head of People

Thanks for taking the time to give us this review :)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews