Animoto Reviews

Animoto CEO Brad Jefferson
Brad Jefferson

"Love Making Videos"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Animoto full-time for more than a year

Pros

Animoto is an inclusive, warm and friendly place to work, with very talented and driven individuals. Everyone cares deeply about the product, design, technology stack and company direction. The team culture is fantastic, valued and invested in. You can share your ideas and thoughts openly and easily reach across departments to be heard. There is so much space to grow and people to learn from. Going to work every day is genuinely fun and challenging.

Cons

Animoto is still running a startup mentality in a very competitive market. It's not a place to be a background contributor.

Animoto2016-12-13
  2. "Wonderful culture with a great mission"

Former Employee - Marketer in New York, NY

I worked at Animoto full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Such a wonderful group of people and a wonderful culture - the team is like one big family. The work-life balance is great too. There's a strong vision and the entire company is pumped about the mission and it's nice to be a part of that!

Cons

The company has pivoted a few times over the years, but is currently on a super exciting trajectory!

Animoto2020-03-26
  3. "Wonderful Culture, Welcoming Community"

Current Employee - Video Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hands down, this company encourages the best work-life balance of anywhere I've worked. It definitely allows for employees to stick around even as their personal lifestyles may change. There's a lot of care given to hiring well-rounded and thoughtful people, so I can easily say that everyone I work with is hard-working, interesting, and a ton of fun. I've really enjoyed both the work I've been able to do and the relationships I've been able to build with my coworkers.

Cons

Certain projects can have a "too many cooks in the kitchen" feel. While it's helpful to get different perspectives, it can be counter-productive if people are expressing their opinions without understanding the relevant details.

Animoto2020-01-06
  4. "Great culture, exciting opportunity"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

The respect for the work life balance and the people and the culture are truly amazing

Cons

Open office plans are harder to concentrate in.

Animoto2020-01-03
  5. "Amazing Company Culture!"

Current Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked for a handful of places and Animoto has the best company culture that I have ever experienced. They truly care about their employees and show it in a number of ways - from benefits to appreciation, communication, and beyond. Everyone is super collaborative and open-minded and because of this it makes working here a super positive experience.

Cons

The main thing that I would put as a con - even though all other benefits are really generous - there is no matching for the 401k, its the one thing I am a little bummed about. They do however make a one-time contribution each year which definitely helps!

Animoto2019-11-26
  6. "Great place to work, most of the time"

4.0
    Former Employee - Former Employee in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Animoto full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Relatively flat organization where people are encouraged to voice their opinions - Flexible work arrangements - Regular team building activities - Comprehensive benefits - Great co-workers

Cons

- The leadership team feels detached from the rest of the company and is more reactive than proactive when it comes to product innovation - While employees are encouraged to speak up, concerns aren't always addressed or they're dismissed/minimized to keep the status quo - Animoto's culture has taken a hit in recent years. Still a great place to work, but feels like a ghost town most days - Compensation is low and promotions don't always come with pay increases

Animoto2019-10-13
  7. "Great Company, Needs Better Leadership"

I worked at Animoto full-time

Pros

Great Benefits Amazing Culture Ownership and trust over your work

Cons

Leadership needs improvement Can't act on trends and business decisions fast enough

Animoto2019-03-31
  8. "Really very lovely"

4.0

I worked at Animoto for more than a year

Pros

Great people. Laid back environment. Biennial companywide events.

Cons

can be slow moving sometimes.

Animoto2018-10-06

"Good work place but terrible mentors"

Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Animoto for more than 3 years

Pros

1) Interesting product & engineering where you can contribute to any part of the stack. Also, the stack is written in various languages but mostly in Ruby, Node & C++. So anyone who is feeling extra adventurous gets to work with multiple technologies, which I think is pretty cool. 2) It's easy to voice your opinion. There are plenty of platforms where your voice can be heard about both product & engineering. The leadership constantly engages in many informal conversations on how to improve the product. 3) Super cool co-founders. In my 10 years of experience, these clearly are the best co-founders I have worked for. Keep up the good work guys!

Cons

1) Terrible tech leads cum managers. The tech leads in most of the teams are quite terrible when it comes to their leadership and mentoring skills. It often seems like they are still stuck in their "developer" mentality and do not put enough time and effort into their managerial side of the job, which I think should be their focus. It would help the company if it invests in manager training programs. Good managers always evolve good teams, and sadly my manager was the reason why I moved on from here. 2) During the last year I thought, the product's pace has slowed down. I personally would like to work with product people who are more aggressive.

Animoto2017-03-14
  10. "Manager"

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

Culture, great people, life balance

Cons

Rapid change in company direction at times

Animoto2017-01-31