B&M Retail Reviews

Updated 14 Jun 2021

4.1
B&M Retail Founder Simon Arora (no image)
Simon Arora
Pros
  • "Great to work for and 10 % Discount card(in 84 reviews)

• "busy training giving staff discount(in 58 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Minimum wage which was not conveyed before employment(in 82 reviews)

• "long hours sometimes which can be stressful(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great place to work

14 Jun 2021 - Deputy Manager in Wrexham, Wales, Wales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Been with company 14 years I have worked my way up to deputy manager, I have achieved alot and come far since I started as a sales assistant. I would like to progress in years to come. It's a fantastic place to work, I have met some lovely people.

Cons

None that I can think off

2. 5.0

Rewarding and great teamwork

7 Jun 2021 - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Welshpool, Wales, Wales
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) Quick progression. I have worked for B&M for just over 4 years and started out as a Cashier whilst I was at University. During this time I worked my way up to be Customer Service Manager and will hopefully be going on the Assistant Manager training program in the future. Progression within B&M is definitely worth the hard work and is a great way to gain experience in different departments and responsibilities. 2) Good working environment. We’re always busy at B&M but the whole team works incredibly hard so promoting a positive, motivated working environment is easy. There is a strong sense of teamwork here and everyone works hard towards our goals. 3) Lots of opportunities to learn. There are several tasks to be done at B&M from tills, to replenishment to recovery, stock and admin. There is always an opportunity for any employee to learn something new and take on different tasks. We’re always flexible and will accommodate where we can. I myself have currently been brought out of cash office to have a more prominent role on the floor which has been incredibly rewarding so far. 4) Fast paced environment. Our fast paced and busy environment makes it easy to train and learn things, personally. But there is always support from management too. B&M is a fantastic company to work for. It’s a great place for anyone to gain experience in retail and for those who want to progress and work their way up the ladder especially. The company has also been really great to us throughout the pandemic.

Cons

Overall I have no complaints. As we are so fast paced things do change regularly and problems do arise but there is always support that allows us to solve and fix these.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Enjoyable

19 May 2021 - Hgv Driver Class I in Bedford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I did have my reservations about joining given the fact that they are always looking for drivers, however I really do enjoy the challenges and variety this job brings. Doing store deliveries is hard work at times when you have a manual pump truck to take off the load, however this is balanced out when you have stores where you just open the curtains and let the FLT Driver get on with it. Most of the staff at the stores are great to work with, all you need to do is be friendly and helpful which makes their day. The depot colleagues and drivers are also great to work with, most are friendly. I enjoy it here, and having new Scanias to drive makes the job better! Despite it being hard work, the job is secure which is important to me.

Cons

The pay should reflect the work we do considering the amount of pallets we move per day, and the weight of some exceed a tonne. No overtime is paid unless you work an additional day. Breaks are unpaid (which I totally disagree with considering we are still responsible for the truck and load) and no company sick pay.

Continue reading
    4. 5.0

Progression

12 Jun 2021 - Cash Office Manager in Chester-le-Street, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for the company for 11 years now I first started as weekend work doing only 8 hours a week on shop floor I then progressed to getting a higher contract working on tills I then progressed even further to a supervisor In a new job roll which after some time I have now progressed to cash office manager doing 40 hours a week I have gained loads of new skills and I hope to progress even further in the future

Cons

Salary pay could be better and more competative

5. 3.0
      Current Employee

Nice people, but not a fan of certain policies

28 Apr 2021 - Retail Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a part time member of staff, I like how the shifts have been split so that I'm in maybe 3 or 4 days a week but only for a few hours. It lets me fit in other activities in the week. One of the benefits of working here is the 10% staff discount (though I believe this is not valid for buying alcohol or electronics). I know this will probably vary from store to store, but I really enjoy working with my colleagues. There is definitely a strong sense of teamwork.

Cons

I sometimes feel like the company's policy treats its staff like criminals. Apparently after each shift it's company policy to search you. On top of that, they will also conduct random searches at any point. I understand that shoplifting is a huge concern, but I feel like it really betrays staff trust and is quite demoralising and even humiliating at times. I'm happy to say that everyone I work with is very nice, and I can't imagine any of them ever shoplifting from the store. I know that that won't always be the case from store to store, but the point is that I feel like it creates a negative atmosphere. Even though I don't have anything to hide, I dread this part of the day because I feel criminalised. I don't know if this is a normal procedure for retail, but I've certainly not heard of this being done anywhere else and have never had to deal with this in any other job before. Then again, I could be wrong. It could be completely normal, but again, I've never heard or experienced this kind of policy before.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company for progression. Face moving ever expanding, yet maintains good communication with its Team.

11 Jun 2021 - Store Manager in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growth in business, new sites and career opportunities exist.

Cons

Pace expectations, B&M speed. But you are helped along the way. Team ethic.

7. 5.0

Great business for progression

21 May 2021 - Shop Floor Supervisor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the business 10 years . Started as part time and now I'm currently waiting to be put on step up manager course . I've been supported throughout by a number of store managers, most recently I've worked with the same store manager for the past 5 years and have a great team. The store I am in now has been challenging however this has helped me become a better leader and with the support from management team and AM , I look forward to the future and my career in b&m

Cons

Can sometimes be long hours.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company to work for

10 Jun 2021 - Deputy Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Progression if you work hard Fast paced and challenging

Cons

Sometimes you can have long shifts but comes with the job

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

B&M is a great place to work

10 Jun 2021 - Deputy Store Manager in Shirley, East Midlands, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work culture and work life balance, good progression progammes within the company

Cons

Salary is lower than other competetors

10. 5.0

Great company

10 Jun 2021 - Deputy Manager in Cardigan, Wales, Wales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company who care. Great discount for staff

Cons

Wages low but the family feel in store is great

Continue reading