BBC Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

BBC Director-General Tony Hall
Tony Hall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Privileged to work here"

Current Employee - Production Apprentice in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Production Apprentice in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at BBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a relatively new and junior member of staff who joined straight from school, I feel very privileged to be working in such a friendly, supportive and welcoming workplace.

The work I've done has been challenging, rewarding and immensely interesting and varied. I look forward to arriving there in the morning ahead of a busy day, and I regularly find myself out of the office on assignments.

I would highly recommend a role at the BBC to anyone.

Cons

Honestly, I'm struggling to think of any.

2. "Publicist"

I worked at BBC full-time

Pros

BBC and the content programming

Cons

BBC is a large organisation

3. "BBC"

I worked at BBC full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance. Good working culture.

Cons

None that I can think of - not the best salaries perhaps, but there are other benefits to compensate for this.

Advice to Management

None

4. "Work life balance is great"

I have been working at BBC full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great

Cons

None I can think of.

5. "SRE"

I have been working at BBC full-time

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

lots of different teams difficult to work together

"BBC employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salford, North West England, England

I have been working at BBC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Working.
    Lovely offices.
    Ability to move around different teams.

Cons

The pay as a whole is less than the rest of the industry.
    Congestion around MediaCity.

7. "working for the BBC"

Former Employee - NEWS BJ in London, England
    Former Employee - NEWS BJ in London, England

I worked at BBC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's very interesting as large cooperation. You do have lots of internal opportunities

Cons

They do not like to issue proper full-time contracts which can leave you vulnerable even after years of rolling through one fixed term contract after another

Advice to Management

Attempt to really find the best skills of your staff and help them build on their own best practice.

8. "A great company but can be frustrating"

I have been working at BBC full-time

Pros

I work with a really talented team in BBC Childrens. We support each other 100% and they are friends, not just colleagues. Management is mostly great in my team and I know I can go to them with any problem. We are always encouraged to be creative and try new things; nothing is ever laughed at or too silly.

Cons

Higher level management is problematic with nepotism and certain people being out of theie depth. IT is a joke with systems not working and equipment breaking regularly. The BBC as a whole is so big with so many policies and red tape in place that there are meetings about meetings and, as a result, it can take forever for us to do something new. By the time we're on trend, that trend died 8 months ago.

Advice to Management

Listen to people below you. You don't know everything. And SR, stop hiring your friends.

9. "Excellent on the whole"

I have been working at BBC full-time

Pros

Lots of internal opportunities and exciting place to work

Cons

Bureaucratic, can be frustrating

Advice to Management

Too many departments doing the same job, consolidate

"Junior Software Engineer at the BBC"

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Salford, North West England, England

I worked at BBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Any cynicism you might have aside, the company and most colleagues really care about the mission and being a force for good. While the results may vary, the effort seems to really be there.

- Work Life balance is excellent in all the teams I've worked in/got to know, and most people I've meet seems content. The only rare days I left late was due to me being engrossed by a piece of work, and never due to a looming deadline.

- There are a lot of initiative on environment preservation, well being and about underrepresented group, and on trying to make the right thing.

- Benefits like pension and medical are good, but don't expect many standard tech companies 'freeebies'. (we're a public company after all, can't splurge that taxpayer money on anything but the most basic instant coffee!)

- The company is trying hard to improve its work methods by pushing agile and modern development techniques/stacks.

- Canteen in Salford might not be the cheapest but I'll forever miss those Pork Burritos.

All in all, it a positive experience where I learned a lot and met people I loved to work with every day. Would probably have stayed longer if progression was faster and extra effort rewarded, and if the team were given more freedom in the tech choices

Cons

- Progression and pay: Last year all progression and pay reviews for Design+Engineering were frozen, with various (empty) promises of something better coming alongside "soon". This, alongside salary band that are nothing to write home about, means that you have to negotiate yourself a good Salary when you join because it won't change by much for a long time. While your colleague might recognise and cherish your hard work and achievements, that won't speed up the pace of your career.

- A lot of internal, baroque tooling and framework being used, leading to very poor engineer experience and lot of extremely domain-specific knowledge and expertise which makes it hard to on-board new people, and has little value outside the BBC.

- Red tape. Red tape everywhere: Too many 'heads of something', 'senior manager of something else'. Company tree is not that deep, but sure has lots of branches and lots of Stakeholder to approve your work.

- The culture still feels very TV (and Radio, maybe) first, with Digital just being that "also there" thing.

- Very little/no giving back to open source :(

Advice to Management

- Stop changing course every 6 months with big top-down announcements, they are not helping.

- Instead of anointing a internal framework and force everyone to work on it, let team innovate and pick the best tool for the job. Stop building a BBC version of everything with understaffed teams, and use the open source solutions on the market.

- Try your best to tear down the silos (more internal knowledge share, conferences, hackatons, collaborations...) and foster excellence! If you do, more cross-team solution will be adopted naturally.

- Be more transparent about the feedback you ask for and receive. If people are complaining about compensation, don't sweet it under the carpet.

- Our achievements are not only about the number of TV award we receive. Treat Digital like a first class citizen, or risk falling into oblivion.

- Stop priding yourself in doing 'more with less'. Focus on quality and excellence instead, 10 good things are better than 100 half-assed ones!